Tndeer Logo

Page all of 3 123>
Topic Options
#3664995 - 05/07/14 04:20 PM Cabela's guidelines on hanging and aging deer
Vermin93
12 Point

Loc: Dallas, TX & Signal Mtn, TN

Always hang head-down.
Age by hanging the carcass whole or breaking down in muscle groups.
Age at less then 40 degrees.
Age deer for "no more than five to seven days." (that makes no sense)

I love this wisdom: "the larger piece of meat you use, the greater your yield will be."

#3665024 - 05/07/14 04:49 PM Re: Cabela's guidelines on hanging and aging deer [Re: Vermin93]
Barnes Ridge Rambler
6 Point

Loc: Tennessee

I don't usually age them. If I do its a day max. But thats how dad taught us to skin them.

#3665054 - 05/07/14 05:13 PM Re: Cabela's guidelines on hanging and aging deer [Re: Barnes Ridge Rambler]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

content Online
I posted this before, but this was some extensive home testing I did with aging venison this past winter:

http://gocarnivore.com/2014/01/17/venison-dry-aging-experiments/

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3665349 - 05/08/14 03:31 AM Re: Cabela's guidelines on hanging and aging deer [Re: Poser]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

Here is my guide:

1- Always hang head up. That way all the juices drain out instead of collecting in the chest cavity.
2- Age skin on at 34-36 degrees.
3- Age whole or quit wasting time.
4- If possible, age with the entire carcass wrapped in an old sheet or something similar. Helps keep it clean.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#3665433 - 05/08/14 07:28 AM Re: Cabela's guidelines on hanging and aging deer [Re: bowriter]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

content Online
 Originally Posted By: bowriter
Here is my guide:

1- Always hang head up. That way all the juices drain out instead of collecting in the chest cavity.
2- Age skin on at 34-36 degrees.
3- Age whole or quit wasting time.
4- If possible, age with the entire carcass wrapped in an old sheet or something similar. Helps keep it clean.

Explain "Age whole or quit wasting time." Premium aged beef is not aged whole.

#3666782 - 05/09/14 07:18 PM Re: Cabela's guidelines on hanging and aging deer [Re: Poser]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

No it isn't and I thought we were talking about deer. If you deer weighs 650-pounds, then cut it in half or quarter. If it is the same size everybody else kills, leave it whole for more uniform aging.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#3666993 - 05/10/14 06:50 AM Re: Cabela's guidelines on hanging and aging deer [Re: bowriter]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

content Online
 Originally Posted By: bowriter
No it isn't and I thought we were talking about deer. If you deer weighs 650-pounds, then cut it in half or quarter. If it is the same size everybody else kills, leave it whole for more uniform aging.

Dry aged steaks are aged as individual cuts of meat.
Maybe you should write an article entitled "Aged Venison: I do not care" ;\)

#3668194 - 05/11/14 11:13 PM Re: Cabela's guidelines on hanging and aging deer [Re: Poser]
Deer Assassin
Non-Typical

Loc: Kingston Springs

i hang them 7-10 days whole

Spending money I dont have

on things I dont need

to impress people I dont know

#3668195 - 05/11/14 11:13 PM Re: Cabela's guidelines on hanging and aging deer [Re: Deer Assassin]
Deer Assassin
Non-Typical

Loc: Kingston Springs

at 36-38 degrees

Spending money I dont have

on things I dont need

to impress people I dont know

#3668247 - 05/12/14 06:44 AM Re: Cabela's guidelines on hanging and aging deer [Re: Deer Assassin]
timberjack86
14 Point

Loc: Grundy county

I quarter mine, put it in a plastic tote and cover with a garbage bag or cheese cloth. Let set or age whatever you call it 5 or 6 days then I butcher. My venison is delicious so what do I care

#3668262 - 05/12/14 07:27 AM Re: Cabela's guidelines on hanging and aging deer [Re: timberjack86]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

I just take mine to Yoder Brothers.
#3668390 - 05/12/14 10:15 AM Re: Cabela's guidelines on hanging and aging deer [Re: Wes Parrish]
pressfit
10 Point

Loc: Giles Co. Tn

Honestly, I have hung them 2 weeks and I have hung them 2 hours.. I doubt very seriously anyone could tell the difference when they eat it.. now beef..that's a different story..

#3668465 - 05/12/14 11:28 AM Re: Cabela's guidelines on hanging and aging deer [Re: pressfit]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

content Online
 Originally Posted By: pressfit
Honestly, I have hung them 2 weeks and I have hung them 2 hours.. I doubt very seriously anyone could tell the difference when they eat it.. now beef..that's a different story..

I think the biggest advantage for most people to hanging meat is the moisture loss. Once you get past the "slimy and wet" stage, the meat stores very well and for longer. The silver skin also removes very easily. Now, wet aging, I strongly dislike. I'd rather put venison directly in the freezer than wet aging it.

Also, for cuts that you are going to drop in the crockpot for 8 hours or tenderize and fry, there is little to no benefit gained from aging beyond 3-4 days. If conditions are right, you aren't hurting anything, but there isn't much to be gained flavor or texture wise unless you are cooking quickly on high heat.

#3668468 - 05/12/14 11:33 AM Re: Cabela's guidelines on hanging and aging deer [Re: Poser]
Vermin93
12 Point

What exactly is wet aging? If you age the backstraps and hind quarters on racks in a large cooler above block ice, is that wet aging?

#3668496 - 05/12/14 11:55 AM Re: Cabela's guidelines on hanging and aging deer [Re: Vermin93]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Vermin93
What exactly is wet aging? If you age the backstraps and hind quarters on racks in a large cooler above block ice, is that wet aging?

Wet aging, by definition, would be aging the meat while contained, such as wrapping it in plastic or in non breathable bags, where there is not much moisture loss. I would also consider aging meat directly in ice to be "wet aging." I will transported venison in ice when needed, but I'll allow it to dry age for a few days once I get it home.

#3668500 - 05/12/14 12:00 PM Re: Cabela's guidelines on hanging and aging deer [Re: Poser]
timberjack86
14 Point

Do you have to trim all the dry meat off? Or does most of that come off when you remove the silverskin?

#3668511 - 05/12/14 12:18 PM Re: Cabela's guidelines on hanging and aging deer [Re: timberjack86]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

content Online
 Originally Posted By: timberjack86
Do you have to trim all the dry meat off? Or does most of that come off when you remove the silverskin?

You don't get a an inedible crust on the meat until you get into long aging. I ate backstrap with the formed crust up until about 25 days. The crust was really excellent, however, beyond that, it gets really hard and you'll lose meat if you have to remove it. That's fine on a huge cut of beef, but probably not the route you want to go on venison. 10-15 days of dry aging on backstraps is probably desirable for most people. Note that if you are aging the entire deer, you will not get the same outcome on backstraps as far as the crust forming. In this case, I'm talking about aging individual cuts which, if you are seeking dry aged backstraps like a steak you'd pay $70 for in a steakhouse, is the way you want to do it (despite what Bowriter says ;\) )

#3668528 - 05/12/14 12:44 PM Re: Cabela's guidelines on hanging and aging deer [Re: Poser]
timberjack86
14 Point

Gotcha. I am going to try this on the first one I get next year. Thanks!

#3668625 - 05/12/14 03:23 PM Re: Cabela's guidelines on hanging and aging deer [Re: Poser]
Vermin93
12 Point

Originally Posted By: Poser

Wet aging, by definition, would be aging the meat while contained, such as wrapping it in plastic or in non breathable bags, where there is not much moisture loss. I would also consider aging meat directly in ice to be "wet aging." I will transported venison in ice when needed, but I'll allow it to dry age for a few days once I get it home.

Not trying to be nit-picky, because this is what I actually do....

If I have a huge marine cooler with a layer of block ice on the bottom and wire shelving sitting above the block ice, and if I lay the backstraps and hind quarters on the wire shelving so that the meat is not in contact with the ice and blood can drain, and I make sure it stays less than 40F in the cooler, would that be dry aging or wet aging?

#3668632 - 05/12/14 03:31 PM Re: Cabela's guidelines on hanging and aging deer [Re: Vermin93]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Poser

Not trying to be nit-picky, because this is what I actually do....

If I have a huge marine cooler with a layer of block ice on the bottom and wire shelving sitting above the block ice, and if I lay the backstraps and hind quarters on the wire shelving so that the meat is not in contact with the ice and blood can drain, and I make sure it stays less than 40F in the cooler, would that be dry aging or wet aging?

Technically, it is neither, but better than wet aging IMO and closer to dry aging then wet aging. What I would recommend is that you find a tiny, battery powered fan to play in the cooler. In order to get dry aging, air flow is a significant component, but you don't want the fan blowing directly on the meat. I position my face to face the wall of the fridge. Add a fan, and you should get significantly better results.

Technically speaking, you also need exact humidity, though I have so far ignored this factor in my experiments and have achieved dramatic results nonetheless. I'm sure the results would be better with controlled humidity, but I think it is good enough for now.

#3668844 - 05/12/14 07:49 PM Re: Cabela's guidelines on hanging and aging deer [Re: Poser]
AT Hiker
6 Point

Loc: Clarksville, Tennessee

Aging meat is a science, whether you want to believe it or not, and it works when preformed correctly.

Dry aged is my favorite, maybe one day I will be stupid rich and I will build a salt block lined room to age my venison and free range beef. Actually I would never butcher it...just slice of a piece as needed.

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
-John Muir

#3669065 - 05/13/14 07:27 AM Re: Cabela's guidelines on hanging and aging deer [Re: AT Hiker]
TN Larry
10 Point

Loc: Baxter, Tennessee

content Online
Poser,

Please explain your dry aging method.

Thanks!

#3669078 - 05/13/14 07:51 AM Re: Cabela's guidelines on hanging and aging deer [Re: TN Larry]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

content Online
 Originally Posted By: TN Larry
Poser,

Please explain your dry aging method.

Thanks!

This was my latest experiment:
http://gocarnivore.com/2014/01/17/venison-dry-aging-experiments/

ATHiker is correct that dry aging is an exact science. In fact, the experts on the subject say that it is impossible to accurately dry age at home. Some people, including Alton Brown, disagree. I think that it is possible to get dry aging results at home with not too much effort. The process may be slower and not as consistent, however. Beef is much more difficult to age because of the fat layers. Venison, with very little to, compared with beef, basically no fat, seems to be much more forgiving of the process. I do think that the USDA guidelines are too cold for highly effective dry aging.

Page all of 3 123>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
PGIC, jmccormick24, emtp, Hozzie, crushing
13529 Registered Users
Who's Online
119 registered (TeamMainStreet, Thicketmaster, CamoGator, swoods72, stik, Timber Ghost, 12 invisible) and 211 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13529 Members
42 Forums
99082 Topics
1165022 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.073 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.