Tndeer Logo

Page 6 of 6 « First<23456
Topic Options
#3661040 - 05/02/14 01:50 PM Re: Deer population & hunter success in decline? [Re: BSK]
Winchester
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

Originally Posted By: BSK
 Originally Posted By: Wes Parrish
A real possibility Wes. I don't think going to a 2 buck limit would help much, but it very well might.

I am glad we agree it would "do no harm". \:\)
I think we agree it WOULD improve herd health and hunter success, even if only slightly?

A 2 buck limit would certainly do no harm to the deer herd, just to hunter opportunity (although few hunters actually kill 3 bucks).

However, I question just how much it would help herd health. It might help, but again, the evidence I've seen makes me question whether a 2 buck limit would "save" enough young bucks to make a difference. It might, but I don't feel confident in saying it would.

I agree 100% BSK and Unit B is a good example of how it made no measurable difference if any, but it did make lots of hunters unhappy with ZERO positive results.
As stated above by others, I too hunt mainly for older bucks and even in Unit b a good deal. I see absolutely no viable reason to lower the buck limit, as the hunting (mature bucks included) is the best its been in my lifetime here in TN RIGHT NOW!

#3661643 - 05/03/14 08:32 AM Re: Deer population & hunter success in decline? [Re: Winchester]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: Winchester
As stated above by others, I too hunt mainly for older bucks and even in Unit b a good deal. I see absolutely no viable reason to lower the buck limit, as the hunting (mature bucks included) is the best its been in my lifetime here in TN RIGHT NOW!

Of all the things posted in this discussion Winchester, in my opinion, THAT is the critical statement. Deer hunting, including mature buck hunting, is the best it's ever been in Tennessee RIGHT NOW.

15 years ago, if you had told me this would become the situation, I simply wouldn't have believed you. And what I would have been most incredulous about is the change in hunter attitudes. I never would have believe they could change so fast.

I will be the first to say I don't think the majority (>50%) of deer hunters in TN pass up young bucks. However, as I mentioned previously, I think there is a small sub-set of TN deer hunters--the most serious deer hunters--that kill the vast majority of bucks every year, and I believe it is THIS smaller sub-set of hunters that have embraced the idea of passing young bucks. And since this group is responsible for killing the majority of bucks each year, they are the ones who have driven our major increase in buck age structure. Although the TWRA have made some very wise management decisions that have helped TN's deer herd, I don't believe limits or seasons are the reason for the current improvements. If you want to "Thank" those responsible for the much improved buck age structure we see in many parts of the state, thank the deer hunters themselves. Those deer hunters who regularly pass up young bucks are the ones who have played the majority role in our current success.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3662441 - 05/04/14 05:52 PM Re: Deer population & hunter success in decline? [Re: BSK]
BigGameGuy
TWRA Biologist
12 Point

Loc: Nashville

If you want to "Thank" those responsible for the much improved buck age structure we see in many parts of the state, thank the deer hunters themselves. Those deer hunters who regularly pass up young bucks are the ones who have played the majority role in our current success.

Truest words ever spoken. This is why I am so adamant about NOT making stricter regulations without reason. Our hunters have created an incredibly healthy herd voluntarily, no reason to slap restrictions on them unnecessarily. (Imagine that...a govt worker who's anti-govt ;\) )

#3662462 - 05/04/14 06:18 PM Re: Deer population & hunter success in decline? [Re: BigGameGuy]
timberjack86
14 Point

Loc: Grundy county

The only thing that I cannot wrap my head around is why these guys want a 2 buck limit? Most of they guys manage there own land, in doing so they can control the harvest on there land. Why would you want me to be limited on my land or lease. My goals are probably very different from yours. We love the experience and the meat. Antlers and age are fun but not mandatory for myself and the people I hunt with.

I hear it will increase the odds of harvesting a mature buck on public land. It might, but there are bucks that survive the blaze army every year only to die of old age or is killed by a lucky hunter who happens to be in the right place at the right time. A mature buck does not get old by being stupid. He will learn to live or die at a very young age on public land despite limiting hunters. Just my 2 cents.

#3662704 - 05/04/14 10:57 PM Re: Deer population & hunter success in decline? [Re: timberjack86]
PillsburyDoughboy
Spike

Loc: Tn

Originally Posted By: timberjack86
The only thing that I cannot wrap my head around is why these guys want a 2 buck limit? Most of they guys manage there own land, in doing so they can control the harvest on there land. Why would you want me to be limited on my land or lease. My goals are probably very different from yours. We love the experience and the meat. Antlers and age are fun but not mandatory for myself and the people I hunt with.

I hear it will increase the odds of harvesting a mature buck on public land. It might, but there are bucks that survive the blaze army every year only to die of old age or is killed by a lucky hunter who happens to be in the right place at the right time. A mature buck does not get old by being stupid. He will learn to live or die at a very young age on public land despite limiting hunters. Just my 2 cents.

THIS!!!

You can talk all the mature buck Managment all you want to but unless you are managing 1000 s of acres you are at the mercy of the guy across the street. He can shoot the 2 1/2 year old buck you let walk this morning by late afternoon.

I suspect this is why people get upset when another hunter kills a 2 and 3 year old buck because they can no longer manage the deer herd on their land. Best advice I can give you is buy more land..because you are never going to be able to control or manage other hunters.

A two buck limit may force some hunters to check themselves at the gate and be more selective about the first buck they kill but you can bet with all the tree stand thieves, trail cam thieves and poachers out there a number of them will falsify or fail,to report a sub buck or break off a antler to make it less than 3 inches. So in reality the difference in the 2 buck limit and the 3 buck limit would probably mean very little along with the other factors all ready mentioned in this thread,

#3662828 - 05/05/14 07:50 AM Re: Deer population & hunter success in decline? [Re: PillsburyDoughboy]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: PillsburyDoughboy
I suspect this is why people get upset when another hunter kills a 2 and 3 year old buck because they can no longer manage the deer herd on their land.

To the detriment of the mature buck hunter/manager, everybody hunts/manages for something different. The desired "experience" is different between hunters. For example those 2 and 3 year-old bucks the mature buck hunter/manager is trying to protect would be prize kills on my place. We would be thrilled to have them! However, to the befit of the mature buck hunter/manager, once bucks get beyond the yearling age-class, they tend to be able to take care of themselves better than most hunters believe. Even though we will quickly kill "decent" 2 and 3 year-old bucks, we still have mature bucks around. Just because some hunters are killing 2 and 3 year-old bucks doesn't mean mature bucks won't exist. They can, and in huntable numbers.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3663192 - 05/05/14 03:34 PM Re: Deer population & hunter success in decline? [Re: BSK]
PillsburyDoughboy
Spike

Loc: Tn

Originally Posted By: PillsburyDoughboy
I suspect this is why people get upset when another hunter kills a 2 and 3 year old buck because they can no longer manage the deer herd on their land.

To the detriment of the mature buck hunter/manager, everybody hunts/manages for something different. The desired "experience" is different between hunters.

This agree with 110%

There are those that tend on trying to rain on others parades when he/she thinks they are raining on thier's though.

I look at it this way. A man is paying his taxes for his land. If he is working within the limits and guidelines of the TWRA. Leave him be.

#3664823 - 05/07/14 01:02 PM Re: Deer population & hunter success in decline? [Re: BigGameGuy]
Winchester
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

Originally Posted By: BigGameGuy
If you want to "Thank" those responsible for the much improved buck age structure we see in many parts of the state, thank the deer hunters themselves. Those deer hunters who regularly pass up young bucks are the ones who have played the majority role in our current success.

Truest words ever spoken. This is why I am so adamant about NOT making stricter regulations without reason. Our hunters have created an incredibly healthy herd voluntarily, no reason to slap restrictions on them unnecessarily. (Imagine that...a govt worker who's anti-govt ;\) )

Great post BGG we simply DONT NEED restrictions on buck harvest right now!

Page 6 of 6 « First<23456

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
purrpplee, tnduckhunter, draw2drop, Oh Deer, Deer slayer85
13112 Registered Users
Who's Online
4 registered (MarlinSlayer, JAY B, mossyoakmantn, Team Browning) and 55 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13112 Members
42 Forums
89295 Topics
1044337 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 8.542 seconds in which 3.22 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.