Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 5 12345>
Topic Options
#3663953 - 05/06/14 11:37 AM Stepping on the head?
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

confused Online
Is it just me, or is the ground usually too soft and the bird's head just sinks down into the ground when you stomp on it? If the bird is clearly toast, he doesn't need it anyway, but if he's down but his head is still lifting up, I prefer to wring the neck.

#3663966 - 05/06/14 11:55 AM Re: Stepping on the head? [Re: catman529]
Setterman
8 Point

Loc: Knoxville, TN

I'm not a head stepper and don't really get it either. I hunt incredibly steep terrain and just man up and grab a leg. Yes I've got scars from this but I always felt the boot on the head was disrespectful for some reason
#3663973 - 05/06/14 12:05 PM Re: Stepping on the head? [Re: Setterman]
Thicketmaster
4 Point

Loc: eads,tn

Don't step on the head step on the neck don't stomp just stand on him what your doing is suffocating him if hes not already dead put all your weight on him and stand there till hes gone a lot safers than choking him or grabbing him by his legs!

#3663976 - 05/06/14 12:08 PM Re: Stepping on the head? [Re: Thicketmaster]
Setterman
8 Point

Originally Posted By: Thicketmaster
Don't step on the head step on the neck don't stomp just stand on him what your doing is suffocating him if hes not already dead put all your weight on him and stand there till hes gone a lot safers than choking him or grabbing him by his legs!

You're not suffocating a turkey with your foot. That's basically impossible

#3664019 - 05/06/14 12:42 PM Re: Stepping on the head? [Re: Setterman]
Rockhound
10 Point

Loc: Lawrence Co. TN

I usually step on their head and give their legs a yank, enough to Knowin I've done some damage. Or just step on their legs and grab them that way they can't spur me.
Isaiah 40:31.... Those who wait upon The Lord .....shall renew there strength ......

#3664023 - 05/06/14 12:44 PM Re: Stepping on the head? [Re: Setterman]
Boll Weevil
8 Point

Loc: Hardeman

I'm not a head-stepper either and when I think back on it many of the birds I've killed hardly flop UNTIL I grab a leg. Anyone else notice this?

BOOM! A good shot with a ton of pellets to brain + vertebrae incapacitates said bird so he's done (just doesn't know it yet). The first few moments when he's crumpled there, oxygen is still in his lungs and blood still courses through his veins but the wallop to his neuromuscular faculties has rendered him immobile. By the time I gather up my stuff and WALK to him, I can usually see that leg start to draw up and those feathers begin to slowly relax and "lay down."

Sometimes they go plum crazy at the shot but more often than not if I don't grab him for couple of minutes, there's a kick, a quiver or 3, and he just sorta slips off to that big'ol roost tree in the sky with nary a flop.

#3664036 - 05/06/14 12:52 PM Re: Stepping on the head? [Re: Boll Weevil]
Setterman
8 Point

Originally Posted By: Boll Weevil
I'm not a head-stepper either and when I think back on it many of the birds I've killed hardly flop UNTIL I grab a leg. Anyone else notice this?

BOOM! A good shot with a ton of pellets to brain + vertebrae incapacitates said bird so he's done (just doesn't know it yet). The first few moments when he's crumpled there, oxygen is still in his lungs and blood still courses through his veins but the wallop to his neuromuscular faculties has rendered him immobile. By the time I gather up my stuff and WALK to him, I can usually see that leg start to draw up and those feathers begin to slowly relax and "lay down."

Sometimes they go plum crazy at the shot but more often than not if I don't grab him for couple of minutes, there's a kick, a quiver or 3, and he just sorta slips off to that big'ol roost tree in the sky with nary a flop.

I agree, I a lot of times don't even touch them until I see those feathers lay down. I can tell if ones faking usually by looking at their eyes and if they're closed he's dead. I used to run to every bird, now I gather my calls and ease that way. Like you a well placed shot at close range and a boot on the head is a waste of time.

#3664037 - 05/06/14 12:53 PM Re: Stepping on the head? [Re: Boll Weevil]
Gravey
16 Point

Loc: Rutherford / Wilson County Lin...

I don't step on the head either. He's already dead but just doesnt realize it yet. Kind of like a chicken with his head cut off.

#3664045 - 05/06/14 01:01 PM Re: Stepping on the head? [Re: Setterman]
PalsPal
8 Point

Loc: TN

I put the boot on his neck and then grab the feet and lift him up and stretch the neck. Gives me a little more control while he expires.

While checking other forums, I came a cross these \:D :

I've had a few I had to kill twice...

The spring of 06, I made a long shot on a nice bird after he busted me sneaking into position. The 870 knocked him down, he did his flop thing, and I loaded him into the back of the vest. It was about 1/3 of a mile back to the truck. About halfway back, he kicked me in the back!! I thought it was kind of wierd, but figured it was just nerves.

When I got to the truck, I put the unloaded shootgun in the front seat, then let the tailgate down to lay the vest in the bed of the truck. I pulled the turk out by both feet, and, instead of his head dangling dead and limp, it was up and LOOKIN AT ME!!!

So, I did what any good caveman would do, I engaged in some hand to turkey head combat, after diving on him on the ground!!! He spurred me good on the palm of my left hand, but my hammer fist punches eventually won the day.

True story. It was on the opening morning several years ago. My brother was supposed to take the first shot, but the bird came up on the "wrong" side and was about to fly the coop so I dropped the hammer on him. Kinda like Fireman Brads deal, the turkey flopped and then quit like a dead turkey was supposed to, allowed me to put the tag on it, go back to get my stuff, UNLOAD MY GUN, and drink a half a coke before I walked back to get the bird. There was another bird still gobbling in the woods that we were gonna chase for my brother and he was gathering up all the stuff to go after him. I ahd made my way about halfway back to my turkey and he just stood up and started running off WITH MY TAG. All I could do at first was just stutter and stammer till I was finally able to say to my brother....CHOOT HIM!!! He turns around to see what the deal was and I gotta say I am impressed with how quick he went from havin a goofy look on his face to sliding his gun off his shoulder and finishing the bird off. He then told me to take my tag off his turkey.
We were actually able to get on the other bird and call him in about an hour later, so it turned out to be a great hunt.

#3664067 - 05/06/14 01:31 PM Re: Stepping on the head? [Re: PalsPal]
Tennessee Lead
8 Point

Loc: Putnam County, TN

I will if they are still lively until I can get a grip on his legs. I don't want to get flogged.

Page 1 of 5 12345>

Moderator:  RUGER, Bobby G, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, Grizzly Johnson 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
tnduckhunter, draw2drop, Oh Deer, Deer slayer85, Deadeye14
13111 Registered Users
Who's Online
88 registered (HenryCohunter, Tn_Va_Hunter, elkman, TX300mag, Dan24, John3, 9 invisible) and 120 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13111 Members
42 Forums
89131 Topics
1042448 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.266 seconds in which 0.012 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.