Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#3655833 - 04/26/14 12:10 PM Re: A Contradictory Thought On Deer Hunting [Re: BSK]
hunterncoach
6 Point

Loc: northern middle tn

I've had the same thoughts and questions. It all comes down to economics. State agencies and private land owners need funds to preserve hunting land. So the more funds available (which means we need more hunters) then the more "huntable" land there will be available. So. We either all give more to state agencies and pay more for leasin land or we grow our numbers to help out... That's the way I see it. I think educating the new hunters to this problem is vital!!!
#3656689 - 04/27/14 07:18 PM Re: A Contradictory Thought On Deer Hunting [Re: hunterncoach]
eightpointer
14 Point

Loc: Birchwood, TN

I do think leasing has really hurt deer hunting as well. BUT..I think its also a big thing due to many hunters trespassing and treating the land like crap too.
#3657042 - 04/28/14 08:35 AM Re: A Contradictory Thought On Deer Hunting [Re: eightpointer]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Originally Posted By: eightpointer
I do think leasing has really hurt deer hunting as well.

Overall, I think leasing has helped more deer hunters than it's hurt, particularly the majority of whom who do not trespass or poach on property they don't have permission to hunt.

Keep in mind much of the reason leasing began (on a bigger scale) in TN was because too many slob hunters were trespassing and poaching, and the idea of leasing became a solution for many landowners to better know who is on their property, while at the same time getting somewhat of a security patrol to help them keep off the trespassers. It wasn't and isn't just about landowners seeking additional revenue.

IMO, one of the main reasons many timber companies pulled their lands from the public hunting programs (turning them into leases to named hunters) was because the general public was trashing the property, and allowing the general public access had become a liability.

As the idea of leasing became better known, many landowners who didn't allow any legal hunting (or only to a person or two) also began leasing, often making lands available that were previously not. It wouldn't surprise me if most of the properties under 200 acres that are currently being leased to hunters were previously not allowing any legal hunting (with permission) at all (or at the least were not allowing any legal access to the general public).

As a side note, many (if not most) of our public hunting lands are also "leased" from the landowners by TWRA.

#3657084 - 04/28/14 09:11 AM Re: A Contradictory Thought On Deer Hunting [Re: Wes Parrish]
hunterncoach
6 Point

Loc: northern middle tn

Leased hunting will help save the habitat. Do you all think a program would work where guys purchase whatever land they can (10+ acres) and enroll it in a type of "hunting club" where all members could have access to land put in the club? My thinking is that we are loosing land everyday and most cannot afford 100+ acres of land, but could afford smaller chunks. This would really help preserve habitat for the future...
#3658526 - 04/29/14 03:27 PM Re: A Contradictory Thought On Deer Hunting [Re: Monty]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: Monty
At the same time, the discussion about P&Y's position statement about high-fenced hunting on another thread supports the argument here that points out the shifting away from the NA Model of Wildlife Management and the public trust doctrine, which have been central to the gains we've seen in many of the better-managed game species.

I tend to agree, with the exception that, in my opinion, VERY few hunters really care about P&Y's rules. Because a few are interested, I keep up with P&Y's and B&C's rules. But how many hunters hunt with the hope of entering a buck "in the book?" I think very few.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3659372 - 04/30/14 01:34 PM Re: A Contradictory Thought On Deer Hunting [Re: BSK]
trealtree
16 Point

Loc: Middle Tennessee

Originally Posted By: BSK
Another topic several have mentioned is concern over the fact that as deer hunters become a smaller and smaller portion of the total population, eventually we will lose enough political power to protect hunting from the urban/suburban anti-hunting mindset. In my opinion, THAT is exactly why we need to encourage the participation of non-traditional groups into deer hunting. And I'm not talking about drawing in huge numbers of new hunters. I'm talking about drawing in enough members of other interest groups that a positive message about hunting becomes part of those other interest groups' belief systems. For instance, the recent increase in positive press about hunting from the "sustainable foods" interest group, I believe, is going to do wonders for the image of hunting. A positive view of hunting within this interest group will pay huge dividends, as members of this group have a wide web of contacts into other interest groups, that in past, were seen as "enemies" of hunting. Another interest group we should hope gets drawn into deer hunting is the soccer-mom suburbia crowd. We need to find a way to show this group that suburban hunting is safe and effective, as their growing anger over consumption of their expensive landscaping by deer and car-deer collisions begins to open the door for dialogue.

Exactly why I wrote a letter to TWRA suggesting they allow larger caliber air guns for hunting big game. Archery and air guns are much safer than muzzle-loaders and centerfires in an urban environment. However it does not look like it did any good this year...

#3664847 - 05/07/14 01:23 PM Re: A Contradictory Thought On Deer Hunting [Re: trealtree]
TN Whitetail Freak
8 Point

Loc: Bradford, TN (Gibson Co.)

Need a 1 buck limit

Life's Not Handed To Ya; Go Get It.

Sure, the rut is a GREAT time to hunt if you don't know what you're doing!

#3664911 - 05/07/14 02:29 PM Re: A Contradictory Thought On Deer Hunting [Re: TN Whitetail Freak]
Winchester
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

Originally Posted By: TN Whitetail Freak
Need a 1 buck limit

You already have one if you want it, just shoot 1 and there you have it!!!! ;\)

#3665222 - 05/07/14 08:23 PM Re: A Contradictory Thought On Deer Hunting [Re: landman]
TLRanger
8 Point

Loc: Nashville

Originally Posted By: landman
Today the TWRA commission talked about and
asked questions about are we at the max capacity
with most seeming to believe the herd needs to
drop some, but enough does are not being harvested

There will never be enough doe being killed as long as we have a three buck limit.......I know people that will kill three spike bucks because they "needed the meat" and never kill a doe.

#3665269 - 05/07/14 09:16 PM Re: A Contradictory Thought On Deer Hunting [Re: TLRanger]
TN Whitetail Freak
8 Point

Loc: Bradford, TN (Gibson Co.)

Hard to shoot one buck if you dont see any worth shooting yea i couldve shot 2 bucks in 2012 that were 2 yr olds but i let walk hoping theyd make another yr well dont think they did oh well....2011 was the last year i killed a buck.... the one buck limit statement i made was said jokingly but on a serious note i would like to see antler restrictions on ALL public grounds....that way that younger buck doesnt get shot and the hunters shoot bigger bucks and does for meat.....i know all hunters hunt for different reasons but when i leave the house im trophy hunting yet i know my odds of seeing a 3 yr old or older is id guess 3% or less....Id be down for a earn a buck program if anything

Edited by TN Whitetail Freak (05/07/14 09:24 PM)

Life's Not Handed To Ya; Go Get It.

Sure, the rut is a GREAT time to hunt if you don't know what you're doing!

Page 3 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered and 62 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.01 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.