Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#3627989 - 03/27/14 04:37 PM Re: ALABAMA Kill Thread [Re: Squeaky]
Squeaky
Spike

Loc: Alabama

Y’all ready to read the story of #6? Here it goes. My buddy from Georgia called me yesterday morning an said he may be on his property today and he would call me later to confirm. Well I got the phone call and we made plans to meet in Villa Rica at 6 AM. We arrived at the property just as it was breaking daylight. He turned me loose as he had some work he wanted to get done. I knew right where I wanted to go from my hunting trip with him last year. He has a cut corn, beans and winter wheat field all in one. I knew there should be some birds using this field from the amount of gobblers he saw there during deer season. It was also full of gobblers last spring when I was there.

I start out listening at a near by food plot and started working my way closer to the field. I finally heard a hen yelping across the field then some more hens started cackling and carrying on. I got all my gear strapped on an started their way. I had traveled 100 yards or so and a turkey gobbled at a crow. As I eased closer he kept gobbling at his hens and crows. I finally got close enough to see he wasn’t in the field yet. I also got a bead on his exact location. They were in a small open section of hardwoods along the river. I locate a good spot on the edge of the crop field and place out one DSD feeding hen, one DSD submissive hen and one DSD jake deke. I was afraid I was going to get seen but did not as he confirmed with a gobble. That was a big relief and I knew I would be in the game at this point.

I start off with some normal yelps that go unanswered. I get a little more aggressive and he responds. The hens are not happy about another hen calling and they get fired up. There is so much hen talk taking place I can’t keep track of which one to mimic. I just start calling aggressively and two hens walk out into the field. I continue to call and have one headed my way. There other stays put for a little bit but goes back in the woods. In the mean time I keep working the hen that’s headed my way. She reaches the decoys and starts lightly kee-kee followed by some light yelps. I look back across the field an see a strutter has entered the filed. A few minutes later the field is full of turkeys. I can see 3 strutters and several hens. i keep lightly calling to near by hen to keep her attention. She is just calling away and I see one of the stutters break off from the group an start my way. It takes him around 15 minutes to cover the ground between me and him. As he nears the decoys I take aim and just watch. I let him get all the way to decoy and watched him for a good while. I wanted to see a beat down but all he would do is chest bump him. It was awesome to hear that pfffttttdooooom so close. He was also doing a little whine before he would spit and drum. I decided to go ahead an end the show by unleashing the “TSS Pain Train”. It slammed him and he barely kicked. Another nice bird at 22 lbs 5 oz. 1st beard 9 9/16" 2nd beard 1 13/16" with R Spur 1 1/4 & L Spur 1 3/16"

I started calling real aggressively to the other group of turkeys as they did not spook. They started my way but cut to my right to feed in the wheat field. I text my buddy to ask if it was okay for me to go after another, he said go for it. In Georgia you can kill your limit of turkeys in the same day if you care to do so. The turkeys feed around a point and I can no longer see them. I jump up an head to an area where I can get in front of them. I pull a “Sneaky Squeaky” as I reach the spot just in time. I get my gun up as the progression of turkeys start walking through my opening. The two gobblers are following up the rear and one enters my opening. I line up the red dot on his waddles but I’m not 100% of the yardage. I was having a hard time getting a feel for how far he was, I elected not to shoot. I did not want to wound him or spook the flock. I much rather work them instead of pulling a “Sneaky Squeaky” to kill one. My buddy and I will be back after them once this rain pushes through tomorrow.

Here is a pic I took of him just before I took off after the other two.

Here are a couple pics of my hiding spot and the field he came across. I was set by the big oak to the right with the little sapling pines next to it. The turkeys were roosted in the hardwoods on the back side of the field.

#3630875 - 03/30/14 03:13 PM Re: ALABAMA Kill Thread [Re: Squeaky]
Squeaky
Spike

Well my buddy calls me last night to confirm he wanted to hunt this morning. We plan to meet in Villa Rica at 6 AM GA time. I pull out at 2:45 this morning headed his way. We meet up and on the ride to the property we discuss our game plan. The decision is made to go after the two gobblers that was with the bird I killed Thursday. We arrive at camp and sign out the desired section.

As we neared the spot I wanted to set up, the turkeys start talking. They were roosted in the same general area as Thursday. The hens started up first then the gobblers. It was a steady roar of gobbles coming from that little block of hardwoods. I get B-Mobile and two DSD hen decoys set out. I really didn't like the tree we were set up on due to lack of cover. I cut some brush to stick up in front of us and that helped.

The turkeys started flying down and two hens were on their way to us. Around 10 minutes later turkeys started piling out of the woods. One, two, three, four, five mature gobblers, one jake and a hen. The gobblers are hammering at another hen that was way to our left several hundred yards away. The gobblers see the two hens that are headed our way an start to follow. They are slowly working their way to us. The hens are coming much faster so I knew we may be in trouble if they spot us. The two hens reach the dekes and the gobblers are still 200 yards out. One hen comes up the feeding hen deke and then peels off to my right headed for the wheat field just like they did Thursday. The other hen follows just as the lead hen starts running and putting. They both pitch up an few off. Well, I still don't know what spooked those two hens but the gobblers didn't like it. They turned around and went right back where they came from. My buddy sit there for several minutes trying to figure out what happened and formulate another game plan.

We make the decision to slip around on the TAV known as "Riding & Gunning" in a crippled mans world. We check several areas with no luck. My buddy suggest we go to one more spot that has a pretty little food plot next to hardwoods. I'm not familiar with this area so I'm stopping when he stays to do so. As we are easing down this little road I see a old log landing. This spot looks perfect for a turkey to strut in. We stop and he tells me the food plot is just over the hill from us. I cut on a mouth call and I'm immediately cut off by a very close hard gobble. I go in panic mode an start motioning for my buddy to get set up by near by pine. I'm trying to get the tav backed up out of sight. By some miracle I get the TAV backed up and him into position. I slip back down the him an set down behind the pine he's on. At this moment I hear the gobbler clucking and I just knew I had been seen. I start calling and he answers me with a gobble. I think maybe we are still in the game so I continue to call.

It wasn't 30 seconds later I see two red heads weaving and bobbing through so small pines headed our way. At this point I hear my buddy saying I see them and can I shoot. I tell him to hang tight an let them come. I'm hoping they come out into the road we are set up on. The lead bird gobbles and goes into strut and my buddy says a little louder "can I shoot". I say hang on as the lead bird comes a little closer. At this point he sees us an turns to walk back the way he came and I tell my buddy to unleash the "Nitro Pain Train". He fires and the bird folds up. The 2nd bird takes off running but stops just out of sight so I start calling very excitedly. A few seconds later I see his red head working its way back through the pines headed to my buddies bird. Next thing I know he on that bird flogging him. He runs out and through an opening but I couldn't get on him in time. A few seconds later he comes back for round 2 but doesn't make it. As he enters the opening again I'm ready an unleash the "TSS Pain Train". He folds on impact and we have a double in the books. It's been a long time since I've been part of a double.

This was a very quick flash hunt that we got very lucky not to get seen. My buddies bird was a nice one with 1 1/8" spurs, 22 LBS 15 oz and 10 1/2" beard. Mine had 1" spurs, 22 LBS 13 oz and 9 1/8" beard.

My Buddy

Me

#3638537 - 04/07/14 07:42 PM Re: ALABAMA Kill Thread [Re: Squeaky]
YEKRUT
6 Point

Loc: Down South

We did ok in Texas.

Beards and bones.

#3640268 - 04/09/14 01:10 PM Re: ALABAMA Kill Thread [Re: YEKRUT]
YEKRUT
6 Point

Started out on this bird at daylight but all he wanted to do was gobble and run. I cut off of him and tried two others that were in different locations. I come back to this bird about 8 after not being able to do anything with the others. This bird never quit gobbling and I could hear him on the other side of the property while I was messing with the others. He was in a place where I couldn't get any closer than about 200 yards to him on a hardwood point that had jungle pines on 3 sides and wide open hardwoods in front. I moved on him 15-20 times trying to find his sweet spot. All the time he would gobble, double gobble, triple gobble, and a few times quadruple gobble. By he time he got to the 3rd or 4th gobble he would run out of steam and it would sound like a jake gobble, which by his behavior I was beginning to wonder if he was a jake and scared of women. I gobbled to him, kee kee'd, assembly yelped, cut, purred, I threw it all his way and he would gobble and keep the open holler between us. I got up and left him yelping the whole time and that seemed to make him move some. Finally I had enough and left yelping load the whole time. This really tore him up and he come into the holler. I run back and set down about 3 rows deep in the pine edge near the hardwoods and soft yelped to him. Here he comes finally, 200 yards and hangs up....I yelp again and he quadruple gobbles. I can hear him drumming and decide jake or not this SOG is getting a dirt nap if he comes into range. I hear him walking and he gobbles at 40 yards behind a clump of rose bushes. I flip the safety off and when he steps out I dent the primer on his head at 12:20. Turned out to be a 3 year old maybe. 20# 4 oz., 9.5" beard, 7/8" and 15/16" spurs both pretty sharp. It's been a long morning, but very rewarding.

#3648640 - 04/18/14 07:15 AM Re: ALABAMA Kill Thread [Re: YEKRUT]
YEKRUT
6 Point

I rolled over and slapped the alarm clock this morning at 4:30 and that is the last thing I remember until 5:15. I do Mach 3 to the club, still trying to get woke up good running 30 minutes behind. Thank goodness it was cloudy is all I can say. I pulled through the gate at 6:15.... Check one spot...nothing......pull to the next where I have been on a bird all year and nothing....... Mother Nature calls so I take care of business and head out the ridge where he had been. I heard a bird a long ways off and almost turned around and went back to the truck to loop around, but kept walking. The way the pines and big hollers lay it is hard to tell sometimes where birds are at and how far up here. I kept walking and soon realized this is the bird I have been working all year and nicknamed PITA or pain in the a$$ for good reasons. I get out the ridge and he is on the point across from me at about 250 yards. I hunker down and slip down about 50 yards and yelp up really soft and hen cuts me off. I take leaves back from a tree and he tears it up. I sit down and immediately hear fast walking but he is still on the other point gobbling. Turns out his hens were on the way to me the whole time and passed within 20 yards so I know it is on. I yelp again and he has walked off the hill and is in the holler. I am in a tight spot and when I can see him I need to be pulling the trigger. I soft yelp again and he is close and come fast. I see the top of his head and move my gun into position, he steps between 2 old push ups and I dent the primer on him. From the time I set down to the Tim I had my boot on him was no more than 3 or 4 minutes. The thing is I made one new call last night and put it on top to use today so he would hear something new...... I guess it worked. Y'all enjoy your Good Friday, I'm headed home to play with the kids the rest of the day.

17 1/2#
8" beard
3/4" spurs

Messed him up good!

A toe jam......sucker was wedged tight and up you can't pull it out.

#3649367 - 04/18/14 08:16 PM Re: ALABAMA Kill Thread [Re: YEKRUT]
YEKRUT
6 Point

Great bird BC. When y'all headed out west?

#3654386 - 04/24/14 04:31 PM Re: ALABAMA Kill Thread [Re: YEKRUT]
wareagle22
Button

3/15/14

3/18/14

3/27/14

4/16/14

4/21/14

4/22/14

#3654388 - 04/24/14 04:32 PM Re: ALABAMA Kill Thread [Re: YEKRUT]
wareagle22
Button

Double post again for some reason???

Edited by wareagle22 (04/24/14 04:34 PM)

#3654732 - 04/24/14 10:40 PM Re: ALABAMA Kill Thread [Re: wareagle22]
YEKRUT
6 Point

We have been at the beach all week but I prepositioned my truck at a strategic location faso my wife could drop me off on the way home and I could get a few more days in south alabama in before it closes. I picked up our seed for the spring planting we are going to do this weekend, got some food and cold drinks at the store to hold me over and headed to camp. I talked to another club member this week and he told me they had disked a few fields already so it would take as long this weekend so I figured I would try one of them that hadn't been hunted in a couple weeks. I get to the field and slip in, check for tracks in the plowed ground but there isn't but a couple hen tracks since the rain this week, I waste up and call a few times over the next hour and a half with no luck. I decide to head to the other side of the club where there are some larger clover plots and just check the roads for fresh sign for tomorrow morning mainly. I really didn't have high hopes at 5 in the evening. I slip down the road for a half mile or more and haven't seen anything but a few hen tracks from this week. I am nearing a field when I spot some fresh gobbler crap......I mean from today and about 4 piles of it along with strut marks all over the road. I start easing up toward the field and decide against it. I didn't want to bump the birds and something just told me they were in it or close by. I backed up and moved off the roadway about 20 yards and set up with good cover. I gave a soft yelp on the call I made and then killed a bird with the next day and hen yelps back and then starts cutting. I cutt back and I could tell she is walking toward the roadway. About a minute later she steps out in the road and starts walking toward me. About 30 seconds later he steps out and walks right down my gun barrel and I dented the primer on him. My best bird this year with 1 1/16" spurs and a thick 10.5" beard. I flushed a hen on the road on the way out that was sitting on 11 eggs. My 4th alabama bird for the year.

#3655582 - 04/25/14 09:07 PM Re: ALABAMA Kill Thread [Re: YEKRUT]
YEKRUT
6 Point

Well I didn't have a bit of luck this morning, didn't even hear a bird and couldn't find any sign at all. I headed to camp about 9:30 and choked down a couple sandwiches and put a plan together. I decided to make the long trek toward the back of the property and look for sign and hopefully find something to hunt in the process. I got back on the back side and found a strut zone where one had been wearing it out for the last week or so. I cut a hole out in a rose bush and got tucked back I to it good where I could shoot the road where he had been strutting. I called every 30 minutes or so from 11:30 until about 4:30 when I finally got a response from a hen. She fed down the road out of some clear cut right to me and milled around for about 10 minutes when I see a red head coming from the other side of the roadway. I could see he had a good beard and a big noggin from the start. I let him get to 40 yards and dented the primer on him at 5:03. He never said a word coming in. The wind was blowing hard and the sun was baking me so I was ready to get some gone. He is the best bird I have killed this year and he finishes my Alabama limit out. 10 3/4" beard, 1 1/16" spurs.

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  Mrs.Unicam, Grizzly Johnson 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
jtw465, lovetohunt96, Csfraley, Big Dc, JaxTN870
13411 Registered Users
Who's Online
138 registered (ImThere, John3, buckaroo, huntintn, 1 good shot, Bucky, 15 invisible) and 208 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13411 Members
42 Forums
96613 Topics
1131189 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.044 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.