Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 6 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#3653137 - 04/23/14 09:10 AM Re: Deer population & hunter success in decline? [Re: BSK]
Lost Lake
6 Point

Loc: Middle Tn

Originally Posted By: BSK
 Originally Posted By: TX300mag
In Texas a lot of people are getting frustrated and throwing in the towel, so I would say hunter numbers are dwindling. Factors I've noticed:

1. Lease prices
2. Lack of available land
3. Unrealistic expectations resulting in dissatisfaction

All of these (IMO) are a direct result of obsession with trophy sized antlers. People are no longer satisfied with joining an inexpensive camp, lease, or hunting public ground and killing deer. Hunting shows and trophy hunters condition many to feel like a successful hunt has to be a mature animal with large antlers.

I REALLY hope I don't see TN going down that same path.

I agree with deerhunter10; it is happening in TN, just not quite as bad as in TX and some of the Midwestern states.

In my opinion, your 3rd point about "unrealistic expectations" is the real killer. I'm becoming appalled at the rhetoric I see presented on TV hunting shows and even from organizations such as the QDMA. Their ever-increasing standards of what qualifies as a "worthy" deer for harvest is FAR beyond what is realistic for 95% of deer hunters. In fact, if you listen to today's hunting media, anything less than a 5 1/2+ year-old buck is a "young" buck that should be protected. I can promise you that mathematically, if that were the criteria of hunting "success," success rates among hunters would be so low as to drive 95+% of them out of the hunting world forever.

Quote:
The one exception, and I think it just might potentially be a game changer, is the locavore/natural/back to basics group that is hunting for the opportunity to harvest fresh, natural meat as a food source.

Agreed. In fact, they may be the ones driving the sudden uptick in hunter numbers observed in the last hunting census.

Probably the best posts I've seen here since I've joined.

#3653139 - 04/23/14 09:13 AM Re: Deer population & hunter success in decline? [Re: BSK]
TX300mag
Pea Picker
14 Point

Loc: Crosby, TX

It's sad, but I've seen people in Texas ostracized, made fun of, and looked down on for their FIRST deer being a 2.5 and even 3.5 year old buck.

I remember one instance in particular where a young hunter (13-14 years old) walked away during the early season and never came back. He watched his father being ridiculed and chastised for killing his first deer, which was an 8 point buck that didn't meet other hunters standard (no rule violated). Way to introduce two new hunters to the sport.

Team Peapicker

#3653162 - 04/23/14 09:30 AM Re: Deer population & hunter success in decline? [Re: TX300mag]
stik
"Popcorn"
18 Point

Loc: lenoir city,tn

Originally Posted By: TX300mag
It's sad, but I've seen people in Texas ostracized, made fun of, and looked down on for their FIRST deer being a 2.5 and even 3.5 year old buck.

I remember one instance in particular where a young hunter (13-14 years old) walked away during the early season and never came back. He watched his father being ridiculed and chastised for killing his first deer, which was an 8 point buck that didn't meet other hunters standard (no rule violated). Way to introduce two new hunters to the sport.

that happens here(tndeer) too. there are those amongst us who belittle others' deer if they don't meet their standards.

nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught

#3653226 - 04/23/14 10:18 AM Re: Deer population & hunter success in decline? [Re: stik]
woodsman87
8 Point

Loc: south TN

TV hunting has just about ruined it. Now if you don't kill a 150"er behind your house with a brand new Mathews you aren't cool enough to hunt.

Instead of TV hunters trying to teach people new to the sport how to hunt, they have just gone to making money and trying to sell their crap.

So many new hunters buy the deer calls, doe pee, and attractants, (like acorn rage and trophy rock) and expect instant success. When they hunt opening weekend and see nothing, or kill a yearling buck, they are ridiculed and discouraged and therefore quit.

In order to be like the TV people, you have to be lucky in the fact that you know some people with access to these great lands, or you have to be rich without a family in order to find a lease that has big bucks.

TV hunting is just dispicable. I remember when it was good entertainment as well as educational, but now it is all about the antlers and money.

#3653228 - 04/23/14 10:23 AM Re: Deer population & hunter success in decline? [Re: woodsman87]
woodsman87
8 Point

Loc: south TN

I went through a trophy stage, where I wasn't going to shoot anything unless it was mountable, and It had to be big enough to impress my friends. I used to frown upon people for shooting yearlings. I am no longer like that. It makes me feel so much better now that I am mature as a sportsman, and if a hunter is happy with an animal he/she killed then congrats to them.

I hunt for myself now. If I feel like shooting a small 2-1/2 year old six point I shoot him. I do not post pictures of any animal I kill or fish I catch. I do not like to brag about anything that I shoot. It is a personal accomplishment to myself, so I keep it to myself.

#3653355 - 04/23/14 12:57 PM Re: Deer population & hunter success in decline? [Re: woodsman87]
barkscraper
Spike

Loc: morgan

Your right woodsman87 I have only me to please and i choose to hunt the 3 1/2 yr old deer and up,not the rack as much anymore. I killed nothing last yr passing on 14 different bucks. I HATE the RACK IN A SACK seed and mineral companies the staged tv shows it has done more damage to our sport than anything else listed. We need to hunt to please our self so we as hunters need to start looking around to see what we are supporting
#3653872 - 04/24/14 06:05 AM Re: Deer population & hunter success in decline? [Re: barkscraper]
mike243
16 Point

Loc: east tn

Throw EHD into the mix & you might find part of the reasons for some states wanting a lower deer density # ,they were trying to kill every deer in some states & county's in order to stop it. It can occur naturally so it wont ever be eradicated but the spread can be slowed down by limiting the population

#3653899 - 04/24/14 06:56 AM Re: Deer population & hunter success in decline? [Re: mike243]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: mike243
Throw EHD into the mix & you might find part of the reasons for some states wanting a lower deer density # ,they were trying to kill every deer in some states & county's in order to stop it. It can occur naturally so it wont ever be eradicated but the spread can be slowed down by limiting the population

mike243,

EHD is not contagious. It does not spread from deer to deer. Deer density has no relation to outbreaks of EHD or those outbreaks' severity. The chance of an individual deer getting EHD is the same if the density is 5 or 50 deer per square mile.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3654080 - 04/24/14 10:30 AM Re: Deer population & hunter success in decline? [Re: mike243]
TNGunsmoke
8 Point

Loc: Jackson,TN

content Online
 Originally Posted By: mike243

I think you have EHD and CWD confused. CWD is the one that is speculated to be spread by too high a concentration of deer. I really wonder sometimes if they know exactly what causes it, I am just glad it has not yet been found here.

#3654575 - 04/24/14 08:18 PM Re: Deer population & hunter success in decline? [Re: BSK]
landman
8 Point

Loc: TN & Western KY

TWRA showed a graph today that showed TN 3.5 yr old buck harvest has dropped the last 2-3 yrs we are now back to the same amount killed in 2008

http://www.JimmySettleLand.com

Page 3 of 6 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
AdamMcK, purrpplee, tnduckhunter, draw2drop, Oh Deer
13113 Registered Users
Who's Online
84 registered (cbhunter, 4fshn, Almartin, REN, MoonBuzzard, Twinshooter, 10 invisible) and 146 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13112 Members
42 Forums
89385 Topics
1045475 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.397 seconds in which 0.104 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.