Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#3648008 - 04/17/14 11:38 AM Do Not Defend Yourself, Do Not Tell
Crappie Luck Moderator
Non-Typical

Loc: Smith Co.

“Rules” For Bullied Students: Do Not Defend Yourself, Do Not Tell…..Yeah Right! Those are not the Rules I Teach My Kids!

A document apparently being handed out in the Lincoln, Neb., schools advises students not to tell on bullies, not to defend themselves as bullies and to “treat the person who is being mean as if they are trying to help you.”

First appearing on the instagram page of what appears to be a parent, the same text (with revisions) is found here, as a guide by a school psychologist Israel Kalman.

Kalman’s full “Guide for Teachers and School Mental Health Professionals” can be found here on the Lutheran Special School and Education Services website. It is unclear which schools have utilized Kalman’s guide, but it certainly flies in the face of traditional methods of dealing with bullying. Some of his “rules:”

#1: Refuse to get angry

#2: Treat everything people tell you as the words of your best friend (even if they sound angry and hateful).

#3. Rule #3: Do not be afraid.

Rule #4: Do not defend yourself.

We defend ourselves from enemies, not from friends. If I defend myself from you, I am treating you like an enemy and you will treat me back like an enemy. The defensive position is the weaker position. So if I defend myself from you, I automatically lose, and you will have no respect for me.

Rule #7: Do not tell on bullies; talk to them directly

One of the meanest things you can do to someone is try to get them in trouble. They will hate you for it and have no respect for you. They will want to beat you up after school, or try to get you in trouble for bothering them. If people are mean to you, they will like and respect you more if you talk to them directly about it than if you tell on them. You should only tell if a real crime (such as an injury or theft) is being committed, or to stop a crime from happening. No one is allowed to break your bones, knock out your teeth, or destroy your valuables. For that they should get in trouble. But not because they hurt your feelings. Often kids are telling on each other. If you stop telling on them, they will probably stop telling on you.

I was bullied as a kid. Yesterday, an older kid was playing with my eight-year-old son and had him in a neck-hold. I guarantee you, none of these “rules” would work in the real world. This kind of liberal pacifist claptrap is exactly what is turning our children in to a generation of defenseless sissies.

http://downtrend.com/robertgehl/rules-for-bullied-students-do-not-defend-yourself-do-not-tell/

http://www.teapartycrusaders.com/2014/ru...les-teach-kids/

#3648072 - 04/17/14 01:03 PM Re: Do Not Defend Yourself, Do Not Tell [Re: Crappie Luck]
Still-n-Quiet
10 Point

Loc: San Antonio, TX

Wait...what?

I seem to remember a very different tactic working quite well when dealing with bullies.

Searching for the elusive "Moderate" liberal and "Moderate" Muslim. Maybe they are hiding together...

Μολων λαβε

#3648099 - 04/17/14 01:26 PM Re: Do Not Defend Yourself, Do Not Tell [Re: Still-n-Quiet]
Planking
6 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: Still-n-Quiet
Wait...what?

I seem to remember a very different tactic working quite well when dealing with bullies.
x2!

#3648230 - 04/17/14 03:15 PM Re: Do Not Defend Yourself, Do Not Tell [Re: Planking]
BMan
16 Point

Loc: Middle TN

One of our TnDeer members had a son who was being bullied who, eventually, destroyed the bully.

Does anyone else remember what he told the school when they asked him why he told his kid to defend himself?

"Your methods didn't work; mine did."

Wish I could remember who that member was; excellent story.

#3648655 - 04/18/14 07:35 AM Re: Do Not Defend Yourself, Do Not Tell [Re: BMan]
Unicam Administrator
Grumpaw
16 Point

Loc: Dallas, GA. & Cookeville, TN

Stood up to several bullies in my time, sometimes I got beat sometimes I did the beating, but I promise you the bullies never bothered me again and knew they had been in a fight. As the only son and the oldest child I was expected to protect my sisters at all costs.

John 15:13

#3648661 - 04/18/14 07:41 AM Re: Do Not Defend Yourself, Do Not Tell [Re: Unicam]
Rebel
TnDeer Old Timer
12 Point

Loc: East Tennessee USA

I think Barack Obama is using that liberal logic on Putin... See how great that one is working???

Tolerance is a virtue of those who believe in nothing.

Deo Vindice

#3648685 - 04/18/14 08:01 AM Re: Do Not Defend Yourself, Do Not Tell [Re: Rebel]
iowavf
10 Point

Loc: southwest iowa

I'm surprised they didn't tell them just to say "Go Huskers"!
#3648780 - 04/18/14 09:29 AM Re: Do Not Defend Yourself, Do Not Tell [Re: iowavf]
FLTENNHUNTER1
16 Point

Loc: Tampa FL

The only time I was bullied in school I was a Sophomore in High School and was bullied by a Senior. The fight lasted about 10 seconds. I was told by witnesses he woke up about 3 minutes later after I walked away. He came up to me the following day, shook my hand and apologized to me. He had a knot on his head the size of a ping pong ball just above his eye brows and two black eyes. He also told me he thought I cracked some of his ribs.

He never bothered anyone else in school from what I was told. No guns, knives, or other weapons were needed. Funny how getting knocked out cold changes ones attitude quickly.

#3652907 - 04/22/14 09:36 PM Re: Do Not Defend Yourself, Do Not Tell [Re: FLTENNHUNTER1]
Tn_River_Ratt
4 Point

Loc: Hardeman, Tn

My oldest was suspended a couple of years ago for "defending himself". That's a quote from the asst. principal. I made myself very clear that I would discipline him for fighting, not defending himself. Btw the other boy had two black eyes.

#3652921 - 04/22/14 09:53 PM Re: Do Not Defend Yourself, Do Not Tell [Re: Tn_River_Ratt]
AndyW
10 Point

Loc: Allardt, TN

content Online
Give none, take none. That's worked pretty well for me my entire life, and I've passed it on to my kids.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Crappie Luck, Tennessee Todd, RUGER, Unicam, stretch, Cuttin Caller, Bobby G, Kimber45 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
JPG3, red arrow, ICUFLY, east_tn_gk, cruiser sailor
13210 Registered Users
Who's Online
55 registered (WG Taxidermist, gobblegrunt, garry, dogmatik, 762hunter, Eric Kilby, 6 invisible) and 89 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13210 Members
42 Forums
91625 Topics
1070927 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.089 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.