Tndeer Logo

Page all of 2 12>
Topic Options
#3647997 - 04/17/14 11:22 AM Don't Ask Rand Paul Why He's Supporting McConnell
Crappie Luck Moderator
Non-Typical

Loc: Smith Co.

Don't ask Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) why he's supporting Mitch McConnell for reelection. He doesn't want to talk about it. At least publicly.

While crisscrossing Kentucky during Congress's two-week recess, Paul visited a community forum in Edmonton on Wednesday to speak to constituents, where he was reportedly asked why he endorsed the Senate Republican leader.

The Glasgow Daily Times described what happened next:

One constituent asked him why he came out in support of Sen. Mitch McConnell, R-Louisville.

Paul declined to answer the question publicly, saying he would speak with her in private and explain his reason for supporting the senior senator.

McConnell and Paul have a complicated history and are cut from different cloths. McConnell tried to prevent Paul from winning the Senate GOP nomination in 2010, and much of Paul's base -- which is attracted to his outsider persona and unwavering libertarianism -- distrusts the Republican minority leader.

In February, Paul was asked by radio host Glenn Beck why he's supporting McConnell, who faces conservative challenger Matt Bevin in the GOP primary. Paul tried to dodge, then offered up an awkward response: "Because he asked me. He asked me when there was nobody else in the race. And I said yes."

In a 2013 statement regarding his endorsement, Paul said: "Mitch McConnell is an important ally and a conservative voice in Washington for the people of Kentucky. The commonwealth is stronger because of his service and I look forward to continuing to work with him."

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/dont-ask-rand-paul-why-he-endorsed-mitch-mcconnell

#3648006 - 04/17/14 11:37 AM Re: Don't Ask Rand Paul Why He's Supporting McConnell [Re: Crappie Luck]
Dale3
8 Point

Loc: Live in Mt.Juliet ,Hunt Jackso...

Like I said, we don't have anyone looking very good at the moment
#3648100 - 04/17/14 01:27 PM Re: Don't Ask Rand Paul Why He's Supporting McConnell [Re: Dale3]
JWW4
8 Point

Loc: Signal Mtn, TN

I think it was a courtisy endorsement. He didn't mean it. He has to hedge his bets a little to maintain working relationships with-in the party. I heard the Glenn Beck interview live and you could tell by his voice he didn't want his name attached to McConnell

Journal: http://www.gymwhisman.blogspot.com/

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mt-Top-Sheep-Farm/379848202142838

#3648104 - 04/17/14 01:30 PM Re: Don't Ask Rand Paul Why He's Supporting McConnell [Re: JWW4]
W C
10 Point

Loc: Alabama

Ted Cruz and Trey Gowdy are the only 2 I'll consider on a presidential ticket

#3648396 - 04/17/14 07:26 PM Re: Don't Ask Rand Paul Why He's Supporting McConnell [Re: JWW4]
OHVATN
4 Point

Loc: Middle TN

Originally Posted By: JWW4
I think it was a courtisy endorsement. He didn't mean it. He has to hedge his bets a little to maintain working relationships with-in the party. I heard the Glenn Beck interview live and you could tell by his voice he didn't want his name attached to McConnell

Exactly.

This was a hold your nose endorsement. I greatly admire his dad, but Ron would never take the political position, which is one of the reasons he was never close to a serious presidential contender (but that never kept me from voting for him). Rand is serious about getting elected and understands that he has to play some politics. I care more about his positions and who he picks as advisors moving forward. Still way too early for me to get behind anyone for 2016 (other than not the RINOs, Christie and Rubio, and not the crack pots, Ben Carson). Rand is most likely my guy and I think he's probably the Republicans (and this county's) only hope.

#3648417 - 04/17/14 07:49 PM Re: Don't Ask Rand Paul Why He's Supporting McConnell [Re: W C]
280longshot
8 Point

Loc: Tn, Tipton

Originally Posted By: W C
Ted Cruz and Trey Gowdy are the only 2 I'll consider on a presidential ticket

I was thinking the same..

#3648560 - 04/17/14 11:01 PM Re: Don't Ask Rand Paul Why He's Supporting McConnell [Re: OHVATN]
Dale3
8 Point

Loc: Live in Mt.Juliet ,Hunt Jackso...

Originally Posted By: OHVATN

Exactly.

This was a hold your nose endorsement. I greatly admire his dad, but Ron would never take the political position, which is one of the reasons he was never close to a serious presidential contender (but that never kept me from voting for him). Rand is serious about getting elected and understands that he has to play some politics. I care more about his positions and who he picks as advisors moving forward. Still way too early for me to get behind anyone for 2016 (other than not the RINOs, Christie and Rubio, and not the crack pots, Ben Carson). Rand is most likely my guy and I think he's probably the Republicans (and this county's) only hope.

No he really does not have too.
That's the problem and excuse they all use. I thought he was going to be a good choice, but this is not the first issue he has messed up on lately. He playing "their" game these days and not the one everyone liked him for.
On top of that and even more important he doesn't have the leader or rock star draw needed for those voters who really don't care what he thinks or how he will lead, only how he makes them feel.
Ben Carson has that, but he off on some of the issues. Ben Carson will be hard to beat if they cant dig up some dirt on him and or some way ruin his story, ruin his "feel good" if he were to run
Like it or not no matter where you fall dem or pub that feel good guy, that I feel your pain guy, that guy or gal that most voters "FEEL" relatable is going to win, no matter where their at on issues. The sticks in the mud has lost every election no matter if they were a D or a R. This is why they take their coat and tie off and roll up their sleeves, but some can pull it off , others cant.
Carter did, Clinton did, Reagan did, Bush did, Obama did over who they ran against. They ALL had the "feel good voters". McCain did not, Romney did not, Gore did not, Dole did not. They were all sticks in the mud.
Your not going to sink some ones ship for being the most conservative or liberal or constitutional ect.. you will sink their ship by ruining their "feel good" if they got it.
Of Cruz, Paul, Carson, Carson has the best "feel good".
I supported Cain, not because I thought he was the best, or the most smart, or the most conservative, or the most whatever. No he was the best chance we had. He from the get go WOWED the "feel good" voters in the first debate. The left saw this, the rhinos saw this and they kicked his "feel good" out from under him.
I'm not saying its right, but that's how it is, like it or not.
I think we are screwed again if someone new don't show up soon. I don't think Hillary has that "feel good" but she can and will ride Bill's coat tails if she runs

#3648681 - 04/18/14 07:58 AM Re: Don't Ask Rand Paul Why He's Supporting McConnell [Re: Dale3]
Crappie Luck Moderator
Non-Typical

Another perspective to this story:

Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) hates Sen. Mitch McConnnell so much that when a constituent asked him why he supports McConnellís reelection campaign, Paul refused to answer and told the questioner to talk to him privately.

According to the Glasgow Daily Times:

After addressing about 30 people who turned out to hear him, the senator opened the floor for questions.

One constituent asked him why he came out in support of Sen. Mitch McConnell, R-Louisville.

Paul declined to answer the question publicly, saying he would speak with her in private and explain his reason for supporting the senior senator.

The answer that Rand Paul wonít publicly say is that he and his staff donít like Mitch McConnell at all, by they cut a secret deal with McConnell where they promised to help him get reelected to the Senate, and McConnell would in turn open Republican establishment doors, and help Rand Paul win the 2016 Republican nomination.

Since McConnell cut his deal with Paul, everything has gone wrong. McConnellís approval rating is lower than President Obamaís in Kentucky. His campaign has had numerous gaffes and blunders, and Sen. McConnell has lost three tea party endorsements, which is interesting because shoring up Mitch with tea party voters is why he made the deal with Paul.

The McConnell campaign has been such a disaster that it is almost like the Paul people are trying to sabotage the Republican incumbentís campaign. When McConnell really needs Rand Paulís support the most, what he gets is Paul throwing him under the bus by acting as if his name isnít fit to be mentioned in public.

http://www.politicususa.com/2014/04/17/rand-paul-hates-mitch-mcconnell-publicly-voters-supports.html

#3649053 - 04/18/14 02:32 PM Re: Don't Ask Rand Paul Why He's Supporting McConnell [Re: Dale3]
OHVATN
4 Point

Originally Posted By: Dale3

Exactly.

No he really does not have too.
That's the problem and excuse they all use. I thought he was going to be a good choice, but this is not the first issue he has messed up on lately. He playing "their" game these days and not the one everyone liked him for.
On top of that and even more important he doesn't have the leader or rock star draw needed for those voters who really don't care what he thinks or how he will lead, only how he makes them feel.
Ben Carson has that, but he off on some of the issues. Ben Carson will be hard to beat if they cant dig up some dirt on him and or some way ruin his story, ruin his "feel good" if he were to run
Like it or not no matter where you fall dem or pub that feel good guy, that I feel your pain guy, that guy or gal that most voters "FEEL" relatable is going to win, no matter where their at on issues. The sticks in the mud has lost every election no matter if they were a D or a R. This is why they take their coat and tie off and roll up their sleeves, but some can pull it off , others cant.
Carter did, Clinton did, Reagan did, Bush did, Obama did over who they ran against. They ALL had the "feel good voters". McCain did not, Romney did not, Gore did not, Dole did not. They were all sticks in the mud.
Your not going to sink some ones ship for being the most conservative or liberal or constitutional ect.. you will sink their ship by ruining their "feel good" if they got it.
Of Cruz, Paul, Carson, Carson has the best "feel good".
I supported Cain, not because I thought he was the best, or the most smart, or the most conservative, or the most whatever. No he was the best chance we had. He from the get go WOWED the "feel good" voters in the first debate. The left saw this, the rhinos saw this and they kicked his "feel good" out from under him.
I'm not saying its right, but that's how it is, like it or not.
I think we are screwed again if someone new don't show up soon. I don't think Hillary has that "feel good" but she can and will ride Bill's coat tails if she runs

I agree with you that the "FEEL" of the sheeple for a candidate has become very important to being elected. Just as important, if not more, is money. Just as our economy has become financialized, so have our elections. Makes good men and women get in bed with the devil, so to speak.

The Republican candidate needs to have solid conservative, pro-liberty, pro-free market (not crony capitalism, big corporate) credentials and be able to convey to all Americans, not just white middle aged/old men, that he/she knows what they are going through. I think Rand Paul can fit the bill, but can't disagree with you that he may just as likely not be the right guy.

One thing I do know, with Hillary

#3649056 - 04/18/14 02:36 PM Re: Don't Ask Rand Paul Why He's Supporting McConnell [Re: OHVATN]
OHVATN
4 Point

Sorry, messed up and hit the "submit" button.

......... One thing I do know (I think), is that with all of Hillary's baggage (from Bill to "right wing conservative conspiracy" to Benghazi to everything that went on back in Arkansas to passing out and questions about her health and on and on) if the Republicans can't field a candidate to beat her in 2016, the party should self destruct. That might not be a bad thing, although the only other thing worse for this country than 4 years of Hillary would be 8 years of Hillary.

#3649128 - 04/18/14 04:24 PM Re: Don't Ask Rand Paul Why He's Supporting McConnell [Re: OHVATN]
AndyW
10 Point

Loc: Allardt, TN

Sorry, messed up and hit the "submit" button.

......... One thing I do know (I think), is that with all of Hillary's baggage (from Bill to "right wing conservative conspiracy" to Benghazi to everything that went on back in Arkansas to passing out and questions about her health and on and on) if the Republicans can't field a candidate to beat her in 2016, the party should self destruct. That might not be a bad thing, although the only other thing worse for this country than 4 years of Hillary would be 8 years of Hillary.

Dude!! The party just lost to Obama a second time. Self destruction is already here.

#3649989 - 04/19/14 05:47 PM Re: Don't Ask Rand Paul Why He's Supporting McConnell [Re: OHVATN]
OHVATN
4 Point

No not yet. The Republicans have the House, the RINO resentment of tea partyites and others notwithstanding. We'll see how it goes in November. If the Repubs don't take the Senate and then lose to Hillary, then I think self destruction is at hand.

I think POLITICALLY the Repubs have to lay off the culture wars. Gay marriage, abortion, women's issues and such. Lay off. That is, unless they don't want to extend their appeal beyond us middle aged/old white guys.

A classic conservative candidate - sound dollar, challenge Wall Street, fight for Main Street, limited government, prosecute criminals in the penthouse not just poor whites and blacks in the city and country, contract the empire, cherish the 4th Amendment as much as the 2nd Amendment. I believe this will resonate to a broad spectrum of the population.

Have a blessed Easter everyone.

#3649993 - 04/19/14 05:49 PM Re: Don't Ask Rand Paul Why He's Supporting McConnell [Re: OHVATN]
Crappie Luck Moderator
Non-Typical

Have a blessed Easter everyone.

Same to you and yours \:\)

#3650005 - 04/19/14 06:13 PM Re: Don't Ask Rand Paul Why He's Supporting McConnell [Re: Crappie Luck]
utfan1
10 Point

Loc: cleveland,tn

dang hate to hear this. why cant these guys make a stand?
#3650409 - 04/20/14 09:17 AM Re: Don't Ask Rand Paul Why He's Supporting McConnell [Re: utfan1]
BMan
16 Point

Because they're more interested in power, than service.

Page all of 2 12>

Moderator:  gtk, Crappie Luck, Tennessee Todd, RUGER, Unicam, stretch, Cuttin Caller, Bobby G, Kimber45 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
1 registered (excalhunter) and 53 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.01 seconds in which 0.005 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.