Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 3 <123
Topic Options
#3646458 - 04/16/14 07:20 AM Re: This weeks freeze? [Re: bigtex]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

I'm encouraged by the temps I'm seeing reported. Nowhere near as low as forecast. Most stations reported lows of only 28-30, and then only for a couple of hours. I'll know more in a couple of days, when I can assess plant damage.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3646467 - 04/16/14 07:22 AM Re: This weeks freeze? [Re: Wes Parrish]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Wes Parrish
 Originally Posted By: BSK
I guess it had to happen. We've been lucky locally, as we haven't experienced an acorn failure since 2007. Past history (the last 30 years) shows a very poor acorn crop occurring in 2 years out of every 5 year period. But in the 6 years since 2007, only 2010 was close to a very poor year.

2013 was a very poor acorn crop in my areas of Stewart County, just a hop & a skip from where you had a pretty good crop.
Go figure.

Never ceases to amaze me how localized acorn crops can be. I've seen failures on one property, yet good acorn crops on another property just down the road. That's why it's so important to keep detailed records for each given location over the years. Each property's acorn fruiting pattern will be different.

On my place last year, the acorn production pattern was very strange. I found groves of white oaks absolutely pouring out acorns. Yet those groves of producing trees were very much isolated in pockets sometimes 150 yards or more apart. So although an abundant volume of acorns existed for deer, those acorns did not exist everywhere. In fact, acorns covered only a small percentage of the ground surface. Yet where they existed, the volume of acorns was extraordinary.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3646488 - 04/16/14 07:34 AM Re: This weeks freeze? [Re: BSK]
woodchuckc
8 Point

Loc: Hickman County, TN

I'm encouraged by the temps I'm seeing reported. Nowhere near as low as forecast. Most stations reported lows of only 28-30, and then only for a couple of hours. I'll know more in a couple of days, when I can assess plant damage.

I had 26 on my thermometer at home this morning at 5:30 when I left for work, so we probably bottomed out at 24 or 25.

#3646530 - 04/16/14 07:57 AM Re: This weeks freeze? [Re: woodchuckc]
woodsman87
8 Point

Loc: south TN

I think my place will be fine. It looks like only the bottom fields and grass got covered with frost. Looks like 29 was the low at my place. The higher ridgetops where not frosty, I believe it stayed too windy. So I believe the plants will be fine.

Looks like it knocked back some of the weeds in my yard, which I am proud of!

#3646635 - 04/16/14 08:48 AM Re: This weeks freeze? [Re: woodchuckc]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: woodchuckc

I had 26 on my thermometer at home this morning at 5:30 when I left for work, so we probably bottomed out at 24 or 25.

Ouch. That will hurt.

#3647526 - 04/16/14 09:04 PM Re: This weeks freeze? [Re: BSK]
TNlandowner
6 Point

Loc: Carroll County

OUCH! 16 month Dunstan Chestnut project took a hit!

These beautiful young trees have been "Pampered" until this morning. I planted them from their rootmaker pots in late February. Over the past two weeks, all 30+ trees have sprouted tender leaves and new stalks.

Sadly, most of them have frost damage on the upper leafs. Thankfully, the lower leafs were protected by the tree tubes.

I don't know what to expect next. Hopefully they aren't permanently injured.

On another positive note, my blueberry plants as well as fruit trees seem to be ok. No signs of damage on the pear, plum, apple, crabapple, peach, or cherry trees.

Edited by TNlandowner (04/16/14 09:05 PM)

"Whom shall I send, and who will go for Us?" Then I said, "Here am I. Send me!"

Isaiah 6:8

#3647771 - 04/17/14 07:54 AM Re: This weeks freeze? [Re: TNlandowner]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: TNlandowner

Sadly, most of them have frost damage on the upper leafs. Thankfully, the lower leafs were protected by the tree tubes.

I don't know what to expect next. Hopefully they aren't permanently injured.

As long as they have the extra energy to regrow those leaves, they will. However, that kind of damage can certainly weaken the trees, and can kill an already weak tree.

Quote:
On another positive note, my blueberry plants as well as fruit trees seem to be ok. No signs of damage on the pear, plum, apple, crabapple, peach, or cherry trees.

That is VERY good news TNlandowner!

#3647859 - 04/17/14 09:18 AM Re: This weeks freeze? [Re: BSK]
TNlandowner
6 Point

Loc: Carroll County

It looks like the red oaks kept their buds. Also, my white oaks (including post oaks) have green buds coming out.

I think my area trees and plants will be ok, unless another frost comes.

"Whom shall I send, and who will go for Us?" Then I said, "Here am I. Send me!"

Isaiah 6:8

Page 3 of 3 <123

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TNDeerHunter270, rmyers@atpro1, ojf, Muwasi, Brad1
13550 Registered Users
Who's Online
10 registered (TraumaSlave, junebugwapiti, MR Jones07, DirtyBear0311, bigluresonly, Rubberduck270, 2 invisible) and 57 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13550 Members
42 Forums
99348 Topics
1168702 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.046 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.