Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#3647125 - 04/16/14 03:32 PM Interesting Article on P90x
VolHunter22
4 Point

Loc: Knox, TN and Cordova, TN

This is a piece written by Charles Staley over at T-nation. It's an interesting article with some valid points. I'm not saying I agree with all of it, but he does make some good arguments.

That being said, I am not familiar with P90X because I only use weights.

I'd be interested in hearing what you think about this article from someone who does or has done P90X. I'm not planning on doing it, I just think it would be interesting.

http://www.t-nation.com/training/p90x-and-muscle-confusion-the-truth

Edited by VolHunter22 (04/16/14 03:33 PM)

#3647156 - 04/16/14 04:07 PM Re: Interesting Article on P90x [Re: VolHunter22]
Quailman
8 Point

Loc: Winchester, TN

Wow, where do I begin??!! I'll be honest, it's really hard to take an objective view while reading this article because it is published in a magazine called "T Nation" (TESTOSTERONE) and written by someone that probably feels that true strength training is injecting themself with steroids and then slamming 500lbs. on the bench press. All this person talks about is how bogus P90X is because it really doesn't help improve strength at all, only progressive weight training can help.

P90X is not just about increasing strength. It is about improving cardiovascular performance as well as weight loss. Lifting weights everyday does very little to improve cardio. It's almost like saying that you don't need to run 3-4 days a week to train for a marathon. You only have to walk a couple of miles a day 3 days a week, and you can still run the marathon!

It's also very obvious the author owns a fitness center because they are definitely upset that you can do this workout at home. They almost insist that you have to train at the gym to have any noticeable results.

I'll just say this. I have exercised and lifted weights since I was in high school. I also played sports during my college years and continue to try to stay in the best shape possible, even at 42 years of age. My wife decided to try P90X 2 years ago, and I agreed to do it with her. It was the best decision I ever made, and when I completed the 90 day program, I was in better shape than when I was in college lifting weights 2+ hours a day and playing baseball. However, I will also say that you will not reach your potential with this program if you do not dedicate yourself and stay focused. I did the cardio and strength workouts, and I monitored my diet correctly.

I would recommend it to anyone willing to put forth the effort to get in shape. Just my 2 cents.

#3647172 - 04/16/14 04:17 PM Re: Interesting Article on P90x [Re: Quailman]
VolHunter22
4 Point

I agree that he probably owns a gym. However, I would also point out that T-nation does have some valid articles. But, just like with everything they also have some articles that are very opinionated and don't have basis in fact. I'm getting my Masters degree in Exercise Science and one of my professors has stated that the writing has definitely gone downhill. My main critique of the article was that he only offered anecdotal evidence during his criticisms.

This is exactly what I wanted, to hear from someone who has done P90X. People have gotten into great shape using the program, and I wanted to hear what they had to say.

In my opinion, it's not all that different from high intensity interval training (in how hard you go, not the selection of exercises). It may not be ideal (in fact, I'd be willing to bet it isn't) for someone trying to put on muscle mass or train for a sport, but it looks like it is low impact and can generally be of great benefit to those who may have bad knees, etc. while still helping develop a good body composition.

I think the fact that it's popular is great. I'm all for any fitness program that enables others to get in shape. This is especially important with the rise of obesity in America. Especially if the program is this popular.

Edited by VolHunter22 (04/16/14 04:23 PM)

#3647174 - 04/16/14 04:20 PM Re: Interesting Article on P90x [Re: Quailman]
Kimber45 Moderator
Peace Maker
16 Point

Loc: Close to Jackson, TN

One if the most inaccurate articles I've read lately. P90X truly did change my life! I was in the gym - LOTS of resistance (after having done nothing for 15 years) and not going where I needed to in regards to overall body challenge/overall body health. P90X took my blood pressure from 155/100 to 130/72 - increased my: endurance, 1st ab's I'd ever seen on me, veins popping out in my arms etc that I'd never seen - all that at 48 yrs old. My metabolism was SO high I honestly felt 20 yrs younger! Now, my sons health went south - I took 1.5 yrs off and am starting over in many regards....however keeping p90x integrated into my multi-workout program will get me where I want to be....if I'll do the work.. Tony is an annoying dude but that workout is awesome!! 51 and I'll be doing my weekly plyometrics P90X Friday - P90X chest/back as soon as I lay this IPad down right now \:\)
I've added in T25 too since cardio is what my body demands more of, at 51, but I will keep P90X resistance for sure as is simply ROCKS

#3647181 - 04/16/14 04:25 PM Re: Interesting Article on P90x [Re: Kimber45]
VolHunter22
4 Point

Originally Posted By: Kimber45
One if the most inaccurate articles I've read lately. P90X truly did change my life! I was in the gym - LOTS of resistance (after having done nothing for 15 years) and not going where I needed to in regards to overall body challenge/overall body health. P90X took my blood pressure from 155/100 to 130/72 - increased my: endurance, 1st ab's I'd ever seen on me, veins popping out in my arms etc that I'd never seen - all that at 48 yrs old. My metabolism was SO high I honestly felt 20 yrs younger! Now, my sons health went south - I took 1.5 yrs off and am starting over in many regards....however keeping p90x integrated into my multi-workout program will get me where I want to be....if I'll do the work.. Tony is an annoying dude but that workout is awesome!! 51 and I'll be doing my weekly plyometrics P90X Friday - P90X chest/back as soon as I lay this IPad down right now \:\)
I've added in T25 too since cardio is what my body demands more of, at 51, but I will keep P90X resistance for sure as is simply ROCKS

Awesome! I'm really into exercise prescription and that's why I was curious of the opinions of those who have tried it. I think the fact that you have someone on TV exhorting you to keep at it is also in part what makes it so successful. It's easy to quit in the gym when you're by yourself but harder when someone is telling you to give everything you have.

Thoughts?

#3647256 - 04/16/14 05:57 PM Re: Interesting Article on P90x [Re: VolHunter22]
Kimber45 Moderator
Peace Maker
16 Point

Originally Posted By: VolHunter22
 Originally Posted By: Kimber45

Awesome! I'm really into exercise prescription and that's why I was curious of the opinions of those who have tried it. I think the fact that you have someone on TV exhorting you to keep at it is also in part what makes it so successful. It's easy to quit in the gym when you're by yourself but harder when someone is telling you to give everything you have.

Thoughts?

I agree.. In the gym i always took too many breaks and never took my heart rate up on resistance workouts. P90X is very motivational as you WiLL see results and will see increased reps.. At one point at 48 yrs old I was doing over 100 chin-ups during P90X - started at 0 ... I'm not sure I can be that fit again at 51 but I dang sure intend to try

#3647259 - 04/16/14 06:00 PM Re: Interesting Article on P90x [Re: Kimber45]
Kimber45 Moderator
Peace Maker
16 Point

Oh, and at 51 - pretty poor shape - finally down to about 205 - doing 3 or 4 chin-ups per set - jumping over to my lat pull down and getting another 6-8 with 200lbs of free weights on there. P90X helps keep me motivated for sure - that and knowing what it did for me last time.

#3647296 - 04/16/14 06:39 PM Re: Interesting Article on P90x [Re: Kimber45]
Quailman
8 Point

Loc: Winchester, TN

Another thing to understand about P90x is that it's not really designed to build muscle mass. You will see increases in strength, but the noticeable differences are weight loss, muscle definition, and endurance.

My goal is not to get backt to bench pressing 325lbs. like I did when I was younger. My goals are to maintain a healthy weight, have good muscle tone, and have the energy I need on a daily basis to feel useful. I mix in T25 plus training for a 1/2 marathon to mix things up with P90X, and the variety helps to keep it interesting.

Since I left college, I have always worked out at home. I have my own equipment, and I guess I hsve the mentality to want to exercise. I actually enjoy it and have made it a part of my life, so that helps a lot. I'll keep on going until my body gives up!

#3647719 - 04/17/14 06:41 AM Re: Interesting Article on P90x [Re: Quailman]
Kimber45 Moderator
Peace Maker
16 Point

GREAT point Quailman!

#3648791 - 04/18/14 09:40 AM Re: Interesting Article on P90x [Re: VolHunter22]
Zulu
4 Point

Loc: Lakeland TN

I really think it's a apples-to-oranges comparison. Staley seems to be writing about weight lifting vs. P90X in "changing the physique" (his words). I don't think there's any doubt that I had my best physique back in my 20's when I was lifting big weights on a regular basis. But that's not my objective now that I'm in my late 40's. Instead of "looking good" I'm more interested in (1) Feeling good and (2) Being able to do what I want for as long as I want to do it. For me, the balance between strength, cardio and flexibility in P90X (and it's successors) work better than a pure progressive heavy weight program.

Edited by Zulu (04/18/14 09:41 AM)

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
purrpplee, tnduckhunter, draw2drop, Oh Deer, Deer slayer85
13112 Registered Users
Who's Online
87 registered (Meathunter73, mossyhorns300, bassybuck47, ratman, redhunterZ71, Tnscooter63, 16 invisible) and 145 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13112 Members
42 Forums
89267 Topics
1044085 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.271 seconds in which 0.01 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.