Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#3640449 - 04/09/14 04:30 PM Re: P&Y Club statement on High Fence hunting [Re: RUGER]
easy45
Non-Typical

Loc: Chester County

good deal

#3640584 - 04/09/14 07:00 PM Re: P&Y Club statement on High Fence hunting [Re: easy45]
BHC
6 Point

Loc: Wayne Co. , Tennessee

II kinda think it's funny how in no way did our fathers and grandfathers and so on reject technology. Some ppl get all worked up because new technologies come out that help the hunter more so than traditional methods did.

However I do agree high fences are not ethical in many situations however on a 20-30,000 acres ranch.. I don't really see a problem with it... I still probably wouldn't do it, just not my thing... It's also a big difference between places that raise deer, and places with 100% wild herds...

I'm glad p&y doesn't support it tho..
However I don't support all of p&y's rules...

#3640660 - 04/09/14 08:00 PM Re: P&Y Club statement on High Fence hunting [Re: JandSCattleCo]
deerhunter10
10 Point

Loc: maury county tn

Originally Posted By: JandSCattleCo
 Originally Posted By: BSK
Canned "hunts" disgust me. The problem is, when does a high-fenced property become a canned hunt? I've seen high-fenced properties where the hunting is no different than on an unfenced property. But at some point, the fenced area becomes too small for the hunting to be considered "fair chase." I just don't know where that point is.

In essence though, what is Fair Chase?

Do we use a rifle that can shoot accurately to 500+ yards? Yes
Do we use scent control clothing, soaps, etc? Yes
Do we use camoflagued clothing that hides our silouette? Yes
Do we use lightweight aluminum / steel tree stands to hide us in trees / ground blinds for on the ground? Yes
Do we use electronics that can range a deer and tell us exactly how far away the aniaml is? Yes
Do we use Trail Cameras that tell us exactly what time an animal moved through an area, what the temperature is, moon phase etc? Yes

In my opinion, there is nothing "fair" about it.

I completely agree, where is the point of fair chase?

lol some of those things you mentioned have hurt more hunters then helped and the number one thing on that list that have hurt more then help for the most part is trail cameras. granted a lot of rifles that can shoot at 500 yards. that doesn't mean the shooter can. youd be surpised how many people don't have a range finder or even tree stands. scent free stuff doesn't work 100 percent and never will I don't think. and people are still killing deer in blue jeans and a flannel shirt. imo all of your statements are irrelevant.

#3640828 - 04/09/14 10:41 PM Re: P&Y Club statement on High Fence hunting [Re: deerhunter10]
JandSCattleCo
8 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

happy Online
 Originally Posted By: deerhunter10
Canned "hunts" disgust me. The problem is, when does a high-fenced property become a canned hunt? I've seen high-fenced properties where the hunting is no different than on an unfenced property. But at some point, the fenced area becomes too small for the hunting to be considered "fair chase." I just don't know where that point is.

Do we use lightweight aluminum / steel tree stands to hide us in trees / ground blinds for on the ground? Yes
Do we use electronics that can range a deer and tell us exactly how far away the aniaml is? Yes
Do we use Trail Cameras that tell us exactly what time an animal moved through an area, what the temperature is, moon phase etc? Yes

lol some of those things you mentioned have hurt more hunters then helped and the number one thing on that list that have hurt more then help for the most part is trail cameras. granted a lot of rifles that can shoot at 500 yards. that doesn't mean the shooter can. youd be surpised how many people don't have a range finder or even tree stands. scent free stuff doesn't work 100 percent and never will I don't think. and people are still killing deer in blue jeans and a flannel shirt. imo all of your statements are irrelevant.

Well that's your OPINION. As I said earlier, just because you DONT use it doesn't mean you can't. I can't help if you can't use your rifle to its fullest range potential, don't use a range finder, etc.

Hunters still have the OPTION to use these tools.

-Breathe Easy

#3640836 - 04/09/14 11:08 PM Re: P&Y Club statement on High Fence hunting [Re: JandSCattleCo]
deerhunter10
10 Point

Loc: maury county tn

Originally Posted By: deerhunter10

Well that's your OPINION. As I said earlier, just because you DONT use it doesn't mean you can't. I can't help if you can't use your rifle to its fullest range potential, don't use a range finder, etc.

Hunters still have the OPTION to use these tools.

so what would you consider fair chase then? recurve moccasins and a stone as a broad head? Ive never heard this argument just wondering. im not trying to be sarcastic at all I really am curious.

#3640888 - 04/10/14 05:31 AM Re: P&Y Club statement on High Fence hunting [Re: deerhunter10]
JandSCattleCo
8 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

happy Online
Heck if I know. This why I was agreeing with BSK. Where is the line of "fair" drawn?

-Breathe Easy

#3640974 - 04/10/14 07:54 AM Re: P&Y Club statement on High Fence hunting [Re: BHC]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: BHC
However I do agree high fences are not ethical in many situations however on a 20-30,000 acres ranch.. I don't really see a problem with it... I still probably wouldn't do it, just not my thing... It's also a big difference between places that raise deer, and places with 100% wild herds...

I'm glad p&y doesn't support it tho..
However I don't support all of p&y's rules...

I agree with P&Y and B&C not accepting entries from high-fences. Although I think very large high-fences are very much "fair chase," I think it is a heck of a lot easier and clearer to just say "no high-fenced deer" than to try and decide where "fair chase" begins inside larger high-fences.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3640998 - 04/10/14 08:21 AM Re: P&Y Club statement on High Fence hunting [Re: BSK]
W.Seay
14 Point

Loc: Collierville,TN.

X2!

#3644640 - 04/14/14 05:20 PM Re: P&Y Club statement on High Fence hunting [Re: W.Seay]
TX300mag
Pea Picker
14 Point

Loc: Crosby, TX

happy Online
I'm glad the rules are what they are-no subjectivity. There are too many factors even if you don't take size into consideration.

There are high fenced places in Texas where you could be dropped off with a backpack full of food and still starve to death before you ever found a fence. That's not the same as a five acre enclosure.

Team Peapicker

#3644734 - 04/14/14 06:29 PM Re: P&Y Club statement on High Fence hunting [Re: JandSCattleCo]
Deer Assassin
Non-Typical

Loc: Kingston Springs

Heck if I know. This why I was agreeing with BSK. Where is the line of "fair" drawn?

i agree what is the definition

bow hunter use range finders all the time especially out west like on mule deer hunts

what is fair and who decides?

i have had several times in the past non hunters (not anti) say i dont hunt fair with a high powered rifle great optics

the deer dont have a chance sad thing is unless something happens the deer dont have a chance

Spending money I dont have

on things I dont need

to impress people I dont know

Page 3 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Outdoor Lady, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Fish N Hunt, bowednlazy, ULTIMATE TARGETS, Philski, Original Booger
13295 Registered Users
Who's Online
100 registered (RAFI, Unicam, Kritter Gitter, woodchuckc, iowavf, rustyloafer, 14 invisible) and 135 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13295 Members
42 Forums
85599 Topics
1034314 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.241 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.