Topic Options
#3639406 - 04/08/14 04:33 PM P&Y Club statement on High Fence hunting
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

http://www.lsonews.com/pope-young-club-weighs-high-fenced-hunting/

The Pope & Young Club official position statement:

The Pope and Young Club and its membership strongly condemn the killing of big game animals in artificial situations. An “artificial situation” is defined as a situation where animals are held in captivity, game-proof fenced enclosures or released from captivity. These unethical practices are often referred to as “canned hunts.” This shall be considered an unethical practice devoid of fair chase hunting ethics as the animals are not free-ranging.

These canned shoot situations present further concerns that impact the future of bowhunting. They weaken the public acceptance of legitimate fair chase bowhunting, provide possibilities for transmitting diseases, and corrupt the North American Model of Wildlife Conservation. Animals held, or bred and raised for the purpose of trophy harvest, in these facilities are not considered wildlife. The killing of these animals is not managed by the authority of a wildlife management agency and the killing, itself, is devoid of any values embodied by legitimate hunting.

The Pope and Young Club does not accept into its Records Program any animal taken under any captive scenarios and considers these practices extreme examples of unethical hunting. The Pope & Young Club also considers this practice unethical treatment of North American big game animals.”

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3639526 - 04/08/14 07:07 PM Re: P&Y Club statement on High Fence hunting [Re: Poser]
in the dog house!
16 Point

Loc: west tn

Agreed!

Μολων λαβε

#3639773 - 04/09/14 12:29 AM Re: P&Y Club statement on High Fence hunting [Re: in the dog house!]
Columbia Scott
8 Point

Loc: Columbia, Tennessee

Well, they should let me list my jacked up little 8 point in their record books. I'm proud of it!

I hate canned hunts too. People that actually pay for those are LOSERS!!!

#3639819 - 04/09/14 05:29 AM Re: P&Y Club statement on High Fence hunting [Re: Columbia Scott]
TRIGGER
Michael Waddell stunt double
10 Point

Loc: Cunningham TN

Attaboy P&Y
#3639834 - 04/09/14 05:42 AM Re: P&Y Club statement on High Fence hunting [Re: TRIGGER]
Grill-n-man
4 Point

Loc: rhea county tn

Ah finally someone with a backbone.
#3639869 - 04/09/14 06:39 AM Re: P&Y Club statement on High Fence hunting [Re: Grill-n-man]
tickweed
12 Point

Loc: medon,Tn.

good deal

#3639901 - 04/09/14 07:26 AM Re: P&Y Club statement on High Fence hunting [Re: tickweed]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Canned "hunts" disgust me. The problem is, when does a high-fenced property become a canned hunt? I've seen high-fenced properties where the hunting is no different than on an unfenced property. But at some point, the fenced area becomes too small for the hunting to be considered "fair chase." I just don't know where that point is.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3639998 - 04/09/14 08:53 AM Re: P&Y Club statement on High Fence hunting [Re: BSK]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

Originally Posted By: BSK
Canned "hunts" disgust me. The problem is, when does a high-fenced property become a canned hunt? I've seen high-fenced properties where the hunting is no different than on an unfenced property. But at some point, the fenced area becomes too small for the hunting to be considered "fair chase." I just don't know where that point is.

Agreed.

This is particularly head-scratching when looking at options of hunting stuff in Texas, where high-fenced ranches can be thousands (or tens of thousands) of acres. At some point, it is "effectively free-range", but that can vary based on things like the habitat enclosed and the species of animal in question.

For example...high fenced squirrel hunts in hardwoods environments. I have no problem with those whatsoever ;\)

#3640022 - 04/09/14 09:19 AM Re: P&Y Club statement on High Fence hunting [Re: Poser]
Vermin93
12 Point

Loc: Dallas, TX & Signal Mtn, TN

Having participated in it, I'm against it all. It's more than just the size of the high fenced pen. There's all the breeding, farming, genetic manipulation, trading and transportation that is frequently part of the commercial high fenced industry.

Boone and Crockett has similar position statements on these and a number of other subjects on their website. Here are a few examples -

Boone and Crockett Club position statement Canned Shoots

Boone and Crockett Club position statement Genetic Manipulation of Game

Boone and Crockett Club position statement FAIR CHASE

I personally hope these practices develop such a negative stigma that it all comes crashing down commercially on those involved. I would like to see the collapse of this industry in Texas and elsewhere.

#3640072 - 04/09/14 10:12 AM Re: P&Y Club statement on High Fence hunting [Re: Vermin93]
RUGER Administrator
Bambi Killa
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

Anything smaller than 3 acres is canned.
Anything larger is free range.

\:D

hee hee

That's what Jimmy Houston told me anyway.

Page 1 of 6 12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
5 registered (ropintime, RAFI, Sgoodman, EJ1, TX300mag) and 72 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.005 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.