Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
#3633776 - 04/02/14 02:39 PM Mounting deer initially lost
JeepKuntry
16 Point

Loc: Clinton, TN

Not trying to stir the pot really, but am I the only one that would never consider mounting a buck that I didn't recover within a reasonable amount of time? You still failed to make a clean kill, failed to recover it in a timely manner, so why would you want that memory hanging on your wall?

#3633778 - 04/02/14 02:40 PM Re: Mounting deer initially lost [Re: JeepKuntry]
pass-thru
10 Point

Loc: va beach

I fully agree and would not want memorialize what I would consider a personal failure.
#3633786 - 04/02/14 02:45 PM Re: Mounting deer initially lost [Re: pass-thru]
Food Plot 101
10 Point

Loc: Goodlettsville,TN USA

I would be disappointed in myself, not hold any grudge against the deer by not mounting it. My first bowkill was a 10pt. 130" buck that I didn't recover the same evening I shot. I was out there at first daylight the next AM and found him within 30 minutes not 50 yards from last blood. So no, I can't say I agree with you.
#3633793 - 04/02/14 02:50 PM Re: Mounting deer initially lost [Re: pass-thru]
Master Chief
10 Point

Loc: Henderson County

Unless if I was 100% sure it was my deer, I would not even claim it as the one I killed. I would either have had the deer on camera and known exactly what he looked like and recognized for 100% sure it was him when shooting or got the deer on video while shooting clear enough that there would be no doubt. Just because you shot a big eight in season does not mean the big eight you found is the deer you killed.. or wounded for that matter. There are a lot of dead deer in the woods.

If I knew it was mine for a fact, I personally would not mount it, BUT I would not look down on someone who did.

Unless it was still a tracking job in progress then I'd mount it. What I am referring to would be finding it weeks later by chance or shed hunting.

Edited by Master Chief (04/02/14 03:41 PM)

"It's not whatcha got, it's what you give." -Tesla

"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."
-John Muir

#3633849 - 04/02/14 03:39 PM Re: Mounting deer initially lost [Re: Food Plot 101]
rem270
18 Point

Loc: south fulton

Originally Posted By: Food Plot 101
I would be disappointed in myself, not hold any grudge against the deer by not mounting it. My first bowkill was a 10pt. 130" buck that I didn't recover the same evening I shot. I was out there at first daylight the next AM and found him within 30 minutes not 50 yards from last blood. So no, I can't say I agree with you.

That's a clean kill in my book. Just happened not to find him that same day. So i'd mount it.

If i shot one say mid october and couldn't find it and then was walking in late january and found it dead then no i wouldn't mount it.

Its not what happens in life, but how you react to it that matters.

#3633862 - 04/02/14 03:54 PM Re: Mounting deer initially lost [Re: rem270]
Mossy Oak
8 Point

Loc: Montgomery Co.

I would have no problem mounting a deer that I recovered at a later time. In fact, I think it would be a good way to respect the animal.

Team Release and Catch Bowfishing

http://www.dirtnapgear.com/

#3633958 - 04/02/14 05:47 PM Re: Mounting deer initially lost [Re: Food Plot 101]
pass-thru
10 Point

Loc: va beach

Originally Posted By: Food Plot 101

That's not exactly the scenario I was imagining. I've recovered a lot of deer the following morning. One in 90 degree heat and the meat was still good. As long as you don't abandon chase, you're good in my book. By that I mean keep looking except for sleep or work.

#3633985 - 04/02/14 06:06 PM Re: Mounting deer initially lost [Re: pass-thru]
PillsburyDoughboy
4 Point

Loc: Tn

I think that has to be a personal decision.

For me I might go upwards of a week or two if it was a monster and I knew it was the same buck. I certainly would not hold it against someone if that was their idea of a trophy of a lifetime and it was found some time later and they wanted to mount it.

Here is a scenario for you. On a property I hunted once I shot a bobcat and could not locate it. The blood ran out after a exhaustive search. A few days later a worker was on the property and alerted me he found a dead bobcat in the general area I was hunting and told me about where to find it.

I had never shot a bobcat before nor had I ever seen a bob cat before so I was pretty stoked about recovering it. Had I found that bobcat I would sure have mounted it. But alas it was gone to the predators before I could get to it.

I have yet to see another bobcat in the wild.

I suspect he found a hole to crawl in or a tree to climb and hid out during the search only to come down after we were gone and crawl off and die.

Sad.

#3634541 - 04/03/14 07:16 AM Re: Mounting deer initially lost [Re: JeepKuntry]
bigtex
8 Point

Loc: Brush Creek

Originally Posted By: JeepKuntry
so why would you want that memory hanging on your wall?

I've only mounted one deer that I didn't recover quickly, and that has been many, many years ago.
It is one of my best bow bucks,[10 point]
The hunt..........Mid October, edge of cut bean field, late afternoon. I had been sitting in my stand since before daylight, deer movement was slow, in fact I don't think I had seen a single deer all morning. Just about the time I was going to climb down and head back to camp I caught movement out of the corner of my eye. Two nice bucks were walking from right to left and were going to cross right in front of me at around 20 yds. Both bucks were good ones but the one in front looked a little larger. They were both walking at a fast pace. In a rush to get off a shot I didn't try to stop them, as a result my shot was just a tad "back" The wounded buck trotted about 30 yards up field and stopped, looking back from the direction he had come from then walked to the edge of the woods.
I immediately climbed down and walked to where I thought the buck had entered the woods. He was bedded and I jumped him up. I began trying to trail him again and bumped him again after about 50 yds.
I finally realized that I needed to give him some time so I headed back to camp and spent the most miserable and longest 4 hours in my hunting career. I found the spot where I jumped the deer last and found just a bit of blood in his bed, I could find no more sign of him, no blood, hair, etc. I searched till dark, then returned the next morning and again searched till dark. I had one more day to hunt before I had to return home and I spent that day again searching. But I never found another sign of him, I was to say the least disgusted.
I went back a week later, and hunted the same stand hoping that I would get a second encounter with him or at least see him and know that he had somehow survived. I didn't see a deer all morning so decided to climb down and take a different route back to camp. I hadn't gone maybe 300 yards when I smelled that unmistakable stink of a dead rotting deer. There wasn't much left of him after the coyotes and buzzards had finished with him, but his rack was unmistakable. I immediate "tagged" him and carried his head back to camp.
Yes, I mounted him on a fresh cape, why? Because he deserved to be mounted and every time I look at him it reminds me of all the mistakes I made on that fateful day.
Mistake number 1 I rushed the shot. Mistake number 2 I should of tried to put another arrow in him when he stopped, mistake number 3 I should of waited or even gone back to camp and given him more time before looking for a sign of a hit. Mistake number 4, again I should of waited for several hours before I took up the trail, instead I jumped him out of his bed. I'm almost positive if I had backed out and gone back in the morning I would of found him there or very close to his first bed.
I'm proud of that buck but it would of been so much more fun to have been able to make a clean shot, give him a little time and find him at the end of a short blood trail.
I make it a habit of looking at him every time I head out the door to go hunting and vow to never make the mistakes I made on that day again.

#3634609 - 04/03/14 08:12 AM Re: Mounting deer initially lost [Re: bigtex]
deerhunter10
10 Point

Loc: maury county tn

Most likely would not fully mount him just do a euro Mount.but it has never happened to me. I've made bad shots and not recovered but the two times it has happened I've never ever found them. So I don't really know for sure. Depends on the deer and what history and how long I've hunted him etc Lots of factors. Granted t is in a way a failure but IMO you owe it to the animal to give them as much respect as possible. So I would for sure show it off.

Page 1 of 3 123>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
2 registered (TNErnie47, GOHUNT) and 71 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.007 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.