Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#3633093 - 04/01/14 08:38 PM Long runs / marathons cause heart damage???!!!!!??
Kimber45 Moderator
Peace Maker
16 Point

Loc: Close to Jackson, TN

http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/2013/08/23/extreme-endurance-exercise.aspx
http://running.competitor.com/2012/06/news/how-much-running-is-bad-for-your-heart_54331

#3633160 - 04/01/14 09:35 PM Re: Long runs / marathons cause heart damage???!!!!!?? [Re: Kimber45]
redblood
16 Point

Loc: Lewisburg

I hope not

#3633219 - 04/01/14 11:32 PM Re: Long runs / marathons cause heart damage???!!!!!?? [Re: redblood]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Loc: Memphis

Don't run, it's bad for your joints.
Run! It stimulates your joints!
Don't run, it's bad for your heart.
RUN, it lowers your cholesterol!
Eat fatty meat, it's good for you!
Eat tofu, fatty meat is bad for you!
Tofu is bad for you!
Whole wheat is healthy
Wheat is killing people!

Do what works for you. Someone will always find fault with it. I'm guilty of it myself. There is so much conflicting information out there now that you might as well just pull the plug from your computer, pack up, and move to the middle of nowhere. People will be contradicting each other until the end of days.

#3633237 - 04/02/14 03:03 AM Re: Long runs / marathons cause heart damage???!!!!!?? [Re: Kimber45]
beachguy
10 Point

Loc: USA

Moderation!

i doubt anyone here is doing high endurance training.

"The best health outcomes are actually found far below the exercise levels of even casual endurance athletes. A 15-year observational study of 52,000 adults found that the highest degree of survival and health was found from running less than 20 miles per week, in runs of 30 to 45 minutes over three or four days, at about an 8:30 to 10:00 pace. The benefits decrease at amounts greater than that"

#3633282 - 04/02/14 06:19 AM Re: Long runs / marathons cause heart damage???!!!!!?? [Re: TAFKAP]
Kimber45 Moderator
Peace Maker
16 Point

Originally Posted By: TAFKAP
Don't run, it's bad for your joints.
Run! It stimulates your joints!
Don't run, it's bad for your heart.
RUN, it lowers your cholesterol!
Eat fatty meat, it's good for you!
Eat tofu, fatty meat is bad for you!
Tofu is bad for you!
Whole wheat is healthy
Wheat is killing people!

Do what works for you.

I agree - TONS of contradictory info out there.

I agree as well with doing what works for each of us....however I was shocked when someone sent me the info on marathon type endurance training etc creating stretching, scar tissue etc in the heart.

It's not going to change my routine - the fatter I am the worse I feel and the fatter you get the more unhealthy you are for the most part.

51 and taking 0 prescription meds - and I had high blood pressure for years (that I never took meds for) which is now totally under control as a result of working out routinely.

I just had to throw these shortcuts out here. There are more studys out there that are similar and really talking up the HIIT type workouts to prevent the possibility of heart damage plus you supposedly get more bang for your buck (more results from less work) doing HIIT.

Oh well, info has been shared. Let's keep getting healthier!

#3633285 - 04/02/14 06:22 AM Re: Long runs / marathons cause heart damage???!!!!!?? [Re: beachguy]
Kimber45 Moderator
Peace Maker
16 Point

Originally Posted By: beachguy
Moderation!

i doubt anyone here is doing high endurance training.

"The best health outcomes are actually found far below the exercise levels of even casual endurance athletes. A 15-year observational study of 52,000 adults found that the highest degree of survival and health was found from running less than 20 miles per week, in runs of 30 to 45 minutes over three or four days, at about an 8:30 to 10:00 pace. The benefits decrease at amounts greater than that"

I think we have one guy on here who's doing some pretty high-endurance training and maybe even a few very long distance runners.

A friend sent me the first thread, and he's a runner .. lol
I think he just wanted me to see that there are limitations to exercise as far as overdoing it....And, to your point - moderation - at 51, working out in moderation will not be hard for me

#3633482 - 04/02/14 09:48 AM Re: Long runs / marathons cause heart damage???!!!!!?? [Re: Kimber45]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Not necessarily surprising, though, running marathons at the competition level and, especially, running ultra marathons, are elite sports and most elite sports have potential health consequences and risks for injury. It is an objective risk.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3633683 - 04/02/14 01:05 PM Re: Long runs / marathons cause heart damage???!!!!!?? [Re: Poser]
moondawg
16 Point

Loc: Millington, TN

Interesting. My wife has been training for a 50 mile race that she'll be running later this month. Shall I send it to her? \:\) I think I already know what her reaction will be. \:\) She said she's doing it because she's already done several marathons/long runs recently, and wants to do it now while she's been doing the long distance training. If she did it another time, she'd have to start all over with the training. She's assured me that after this, she'll be scaling back her distance runs.

Me, I don't run. I'm not out to be an elite athlete. I'm content with toning up and staying in shape. I can sprint short distances (emphasis on short). Think running like a WR or a RB in football. I can walk all day, though, and would love to get back in to hiking/backpacking.

In the end, we're all gonna die of something. I mean, you can die in a car crash on the way to the grocery store. Might as well die while doing something you enjoy, right?

#3633770 - 04/02/14 02:37 PM Re: Long runs / marathons cause heart damage???!!!!!?? [Re: moondawg]
Kimber45 Moderator
Peace Maker
16 Point

Originally Posted By: moondawg
Interesting.

In the end, we're all gonna die of something. I mean, you can die in a car crash on the way to the grocery store. Might as well die while doing something you enjoy, right?

I agree with that response 100%.. Maybe some do need to consider "moderation" to avoid heart issues, and I can assure you that I am NOT in that category of extensive work , however again if it feels good and it's legal - we should probably keep on keeping on \:\) The alternative of not exercising has some pretty negative scientific data based patterns compiled over many a decade for sure.

50 MILES!!!! That is AWESOME!!

#3633798 - 04/02/14 02:54 PM Re: Long runs / marathons cause heart damage???!!!!!?? [Re: Kimber45]
beachguy
10 Point

Loc: USA

Originally Posted By: Kimber45
The alternative of not exercising has some pretty negative scientific data based patterns compiled over many a decade for sure.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
camohunter3, mtd, Higdon23, blcmrr2008, Urban deer Hunter
13270 Registered Users
Who's Online
8 registered (keystonecop, Puddleduck, Daniel n, Nealmeally, gun nut, lungpuncher1, 1 invisible) and 53 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13270 Members
42 Forums
92983 Topics
1086552 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.096 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.