Tndeer Logo

Page 5 of 6 « First<23456>
Topic Options
#3626632 - 03/26/14 11:33 AM Re: Grant Woods and the Longbeard shells [Re: Final steps TC]
Final steps TC
4 Point

Loc: Lenoir city

Watch his video and listen to what a man who knows way more about shotgun patterning then I do has to say about the shells !!

#3626687 - 03/26/14 12:42 PM Re: Grant Woods and the Longbeard shells [Re: Grizzly Johnson]
Setterman
8 Point

Loc: Knoxville, TN

Originally Posted By: Grizzly Johnson
That may be all good and well if you are hunting private lands.... If you are hunting public lands, others' actions can/do affect your hunt.... I have had it happen on private land as well though.

As a license buyer, I have the right to say something.... especially if I see someone out shooting up shells wounding turkeys left and right because they saw someone on tv/youtube make that same shot or they read about a 72 yard shot on an internet forum and they think they can too.... Wounded and lost birds affects us all as turkey hunters.... especially in areas where the population may be struggling.

I agree and several years ago I had to burn one of my tags on a wounded gobbler I found. Not only was that bitter but the meat was rancid as well from infection

So this attitude of if it's legal it's no one else's business is garbage. What hunters do on public or private ground affects others many times

I'm peaking in my disdain for this stuff. Whether it be the crawl behind decoys, the long range bs, etc etc. I'm fed up with watching all of it spiraling out of control with way too many folks looking the other way

#3626757 - 03/26/14 01:54 PM Re: Grant Woods and the Longbeard shells [Re: muddyboots]
TLRanger
8 Point

Loc: Nashville

I was at Bass Pro yesterday looking at shotgun shells. Began talking to another customer. He was looking for Winchester Longbeards. They only had them in 3 inch and he wanted 3.5 inch. We began talking about how far you kill birds. I told him that I don't shoot unless they are 40 yards or under. He said he shoots out to 80 yards and kills them dead on the spot with #5 lead shot. I need his shotgun!

#3626765 - 03/26/14 01:59 PM Re: Grant Woods and the Longbeard shells [Re: TLRanger]
deerhunter10
10 Point

Loc: maury county tn

Originally Posted By: TLRanger
I was at Bass Pro yesterday looking at shotgun shells. Began talking to another customer. He was looking for Winchester Longbeards. They only had them in 3 inch and he wanted 3.5 inch. We began talking about how far you kill birds. I told him that I don't shoot unless they are 40 yards or under. He said he shoots out to 80 yards and kills them dead on the spot with #5 lead shot. I need his shotgun!

oh man I love those conversations. usually they come up in the line to get my license at walmart. just makes me shake my head. just frustrates me.

#3626777 - 03/26/14 02:06 PM Re: Grant Woods and the Longbeard shells [Re: Setterman]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

I watched those boys video above, and it was evident, they themselves had been watching too many videos, more interested in trying to look "cool" (as seen on TV) than in actually enjoying the hunt.

For example, they had money for a high-end video cam, a dedicated cameraman, but weren't using even a cheap rangefinder? Am assuming there was no rangefinder, since he "guessed" the birds at 50 yards before he stepped it off at closer to 70.

So what's next, will the TV crowd start thinking it's more cool to just use a centerfire rifle, that way you don't even have to wait for the bird to come under 70 yards? Or maybe we could get it "legal" (then it would be OK) to use remote-controlled drones to "herd" the turkeys withing rifle range, for those times when we can't see them?

IMO, this was more about filming and seeking attention, than hunting, and more about just shooting than hunting.

#3626784 - 03/26/14 02:10 PM Re: Grant Woods and the Longbeard shells [Re: deerhunter10]
Setterman
8 Point

Originally Posted By: deerhunter10
 Originally Posted By: TLRanger

oh man I love those conversations. usually they come up in the line to get my license at walmart. just makes me shake my head. just frustrates me.

See I'm the guy that when some idiot starts running their mouth like that who calls their bluff and narrowly escapes a fist fight inside the store. It never ceases to amaze me some of the folks who venture afield every year.

#3626787 - 03/26/14 02:12 PM Re: Grant Woods and the Longbeard shells [Re: Wes Parrish]
deerhunter10
10 Point

Loc: maury county tn

agree 100 percent. you could clearly see even on footage that the birds were pass 50 yards. they just wanted to look cool. and who in the world uses a different shell just because they expect a closer shot? I shoot magnumblends no matter what. granted I want them within 40 yards and that's my max but im not going to shoot a shell I haven't patterned. so many things I want to say but im not.

#3626795 - 03/26/14 02:17 PM Re: Grant Woods and the Longbeard shells [Re: deerhunter10]
Setterman
8 Point

Originally Posted By: deerhunter10
agree 100 percent. you could clearly see even on footage that the birds were pass 50 yards. they just wanted to look cool. and who in the world uses a different shell just because they expect a closer shot? I shoot magnumblends no matter what. granted I want them within 40 yards and that's my max but im not going to shoot a shell I haven't patterned. so many things I want to say but im not.

Haha, I'm with you and have held back on this believe it or not. I'd rather not spend turkey season in time out......again. Lol

#3626812 - 03/26/14 02:33 PM Re: Grant Woods and the Longbeard shells [Re: Setterman]
bogger
4 Point

Loc: gladeville,tn

Yep, me too!
#3626816 - 03/26/14 02:37 PM Re: Grant Woods and the Longbeard shells [Re: Wes Parrish]
bogger
4 Point

Loc: gladeville,tn

I didn't notice but that is kind of bad, a high camera and no rangefinder though.
Page 5 of 6 « First<23456>

Moderator:  RUGER, Bobby G, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, Grizzly Johnson 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Mik475, AaronB, Bad Wolf, jw3783, Jesse91
13278 Registered Users
Who's Online
10 registered (Jcov, Thicketmaster, Master Chief, garry, Dodge Man, garytnhunter, 2 invisible) and 50 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13278 Members
42 Forums
93197 Topics
1088542 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.097 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.