Tndeer Logo

Page 4 of 6 « First<23456>
Topic Options
#3626268 - 03/25/14 10:30 PM Re: Grant Woods and the Longbeard shells [Re: Setterman]
Roost 1
10 Point

Loc: KY

I have been saying it for years, TV is/will be tje downfall to hunting. It used to be the hunting shows did focus on the hunt as Wes mentioned, however, apparently that doesn't get you sponsorships.. Now they just promote products and focus on the kill....alot of these guys don't know a thing about hunting, just killing but it sells....I watched Michael Waddell crawl around behind his Thunderchicken shooting gobblers....does this really need to be on TV? I can already envision the story of how hunter gets shot crawling around behind a decoy........

Z7extreme
Savage 10ML 2
Remington 700P

#3626450 - 03/26/14 08:04 AM Re: Grant Woods and the Longbeard shells [Re: Roost 1]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: Atoka, TN

Figured I'd fuel the fire with this post....

For those who don't think the "average Joe" will not only try a 60-80 yard shot (60-90 steps depending on your stride) with his new WIN Longbeard XRs, AND furthermore, advocate it to others, just watch this video filmed on the MS opener.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKDAaEH4qlU

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.

#3626480 - 03/26/14 08:31 AM Re: Grant Woods and the Longbeard shells [Re: Andy S.]
Setterman
8 Point

Loc: Knoxville, TN

Man that makes my blood boil. I will choose to not comment any further so I don't get myself in trouble. But let it be known every week that has passed during this ramp up to the season I'm losing more and more faith in the people that call themselves turkey hunters and am ashamed to share the woods with them.
#3626484 - 03/26/14 08:40 AM Re: Grant Woods and the Longbeard shells [Re: Andy S.]
Grizzly Johnson Moderator
Team Grizzly
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

SMH... talk about a lucky shot/pellet.... Wonder what happened to the one the other guy peppered.

#3626505 - 03/26/14 09:16 AM Re: Grant Woods and the Longbeard shells [Re: Roost 1]
knightrider
12 Point

Loc: tn

Originally Posted By: Roost 1
I have been saying it for years, TV is/will be tje downfall to hunting. It used to be the hunting shows did focus on the hunt as Wes mentioned, however, apparently that doesn't get you sponsorships.. Now they just promote products and focus on the kill....alot of these guys don't know a thing about hunting, just killing but it sells....I watched Michael Waddell crawl around behind his Thunderchicken shooting gobblers....does this really need to be on TV? I can already envision the story of how hunter gets shot crawling around behind a decoy........
yep of course tv will be a major result in the downfall of hunting look how much its helped society

#3626515 - 03/26/14 09:34 AM Re: Grant Woods and the Longbeard shells [Re: Wes Parrish]
Plateau Hunter
8 Point

Loc: Cannon County, TN

Look-everyone has to determine their own style/method in all aspects of life. With turkey hunting it is no different. I am happy to see an improved shell that doesn't cost $5 per that will hold tighter patterns to longer range myself-that also means it has a tighter pattern at shorter or more appropriate ranges as well. Technology has given us much more efficient equipment. If a hunter chooses to hunt with the equipment that his grandfather or great grandfather used- great! That certainly should give him/her a greater sense of accomplishment when they are successful. However that doesn't give them the right to become the czar or emperor of turkey hunting to dictate to other hunters the ways and means that the other hunters should/must use. The same concept applies to all other hunting as well. Everyone has their line of fair chase or ethics-it WILL NOT be the same for everyone. That is why legal ways and means are the province of the wildlife agencies and not any one individual. Just hunt the way you like and don't worry so much about what everyone else is doing. Their methods shouldn't detract from your enjoyment of your hunting style.

#3626542 - 03/26/14 10:07 AM Re: Grant Woods and the Longbeard shells [Re: Plateau Hunter]
Grizzly Johnson Moderator
Team Grizzly
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

That may be all good and well if you are hunting private lands.... If you are hunting public lands, others' actions can/do affect your hunt.... I have had it happen on private land as well though.

As a license buyer, I have the right to say something.... especially if I see someone out shooting up shells wounding turkeys left and right because they saw someone on tv/youtube make that same shot or they read about a 72 yard shot on an internet forum and they think they can too.... Wounded and lost birds affects us all as turkey hunters.... especially in areas where the population may be struggling.

#3626557 - 03/26/14 10:19 AM Re: Grant Woods and the Longbeard shells [Re: Grizzly Johnson]
Boll Weevil
8 Point

Loc: Hardeman

The hunting industry has a tremendous opportunity I believe...to bring to the forefront topics related to hunting ethics and and developing skills in the field. Ethics are personal and I get that but so much focus in on product / outfitters vs woodsmanship / sportsmanship.
#3626627 - 03/26/14 11:31 AM Re: Grant Woods and the Longbeard shells [Re: Boll Weevil]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

IMO, if someone is stupid enough to wound turkeys left and right because they saw a video or a post, it's not the video/post's fault... You just have a stupid hunter running in the woods who would do stuff like that anyway. I know someone whose friend went with another friend last year on opening day, and between the 2 of them, they killed 8 toms out of a flock. Just goes to show some people don't care.

...since last deer season

#3626629 - 03/26/14 11:32 AM Re: Grant Woods and the Longbeard shells [Re: catman529]
Final steps TC
4 Point

Loc: Lenoir city

http://randywakeman.com/

Page 4 of 6 « First<23456>

Moderator:  RUGER, Bobby G, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, Grizzly Johnson 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
swampdonkey83, chrisp711, DEH20, tomtalker, jg12
13193 Registered Users
Who's Online
69 registered (fullstream, Forvols, BamaProud, elkman, dt-34715, GoldenEagle09, 11 invisible) and 101 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13193 Members
42 Forums
91313 Topics
1067446 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.042 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.