Tndeer Logo

Page all of 6 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#3625575 - 03/25/14 08:51 AM Grant Woods and the Longbeard shells
muddyboots
12 Point

Loc: savannah, tn., usa

Growing deer tv newest video shows grant woods patterning the longbeard shells out to 70 yards. Ill have to admit its pretty impressive.

#3625604 - 03/25/14 09:22 AM Re: Grant Woods and the Longbeard shells [Re: muddyboots]
Grizzly Johnson Moderator
Team Grizzly
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Just what we need.... another company, more people, promoting long shots that result in crippled/lost birds.... as if Hevi-Shot weren't doing a good enough job by themselves.

#3625609 - 03/25/14 09:27 AM Re: Grant Woods and the Longbeard shells [Re: Grizzly Johnson]
muddyboots
12 Point

Hes not promoting shooting that far. Hes adamant about that. Hes just showing what the patterns look like . Pretty informative.

#3625613 - 03/25/14 09:33 AM Re: Grant Woods and the Longbeard shells [Re: muddyboots]
Team Grizzly
16 Point

Originally Posted By: muddyboots
Growing deer tv newest video shows grant woods patterning the longbeard shells out to 70 yards. Ill have to admit its pretty impressive.

Hes not promoting shooting that far. Hes adamant about that. Hes just showing what the patterns look like . Pretty informative.

Whether he is directly or indirectly..... by him even mentioning it and showing it.... he is promoting it. By your first statement "I'll have to admit, it's pretty impressive".... supports my statement. Others will see it and try to copy the results on a live bird.

#3625629 - 03/25/14 09:50 AM Re: Grant Woods and the Longbeard shells [Re: Grizzly Johnson]
muddyboots
12 Point

Naw I wont try to copy it. I know what my gun will do.

#3625674 - 03/25/14 10:37 AM Re: Grant Woods and the Longbeard shells [Re: muddyboots]
Team Grizzly
16 Point

Wasn't saying you personally..... this same horse gets beat on every few months.... I know you know and we know.... it's the beginners and most impressionable people I am referring to.

#3625682 - 03/25/14 10:44 AM Re: Grant Woods and the Longbeard shells [Re: Grizzly Johnson]
Boll Weevil
8 Point

Loc: Hardeman

I saw the episode also, and was a bit dismayed. I don't know how much energy a lead #6 has at 70 yards but can potentially see a lot of crippled birds getting knocked off their feet only to regain their composure and fly off.

Just because the shell may be able to pattern at a particular distance, if there's not enough energy to break bone way out there, it won't do the job.

#3625695 - 03/25/14 10:57 AM Re: Grant Woods and the Longbeard shells [Re: Boll Weevil]
deerhunter10
10 Point

Loc: maury county tn

Im out. I don't trust HTML loads out to that much less lead.

#3625697 - 03/25/14 11:01 AM Re: Grant Woods and the Longbeard shells [Re: Boll Weevil]
Bone Collector
14 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

[quote=Boll Weevil]I saw the episode also, and was a bit dismayed. I don't know how much energy a lead #6 has at 70 yards but can potentially see a lot of crippled birds getting knocked off their feet only to regain their composure and fly off.

Just because the shell may be able to pattern at a particular distance, if there's not enough energy to break bone way out there, it won't do the job. [/quote

He was using #5's but i agree i don't know regardless of the pattern/shot size, if there is enough energy at 70 yds. That is a long way.

He did say more than once he was not advocating shooting 70 yds and that for long range shots, you need to have optics with some magnification. Unfortunately, the others are right. Someone with little experience will see this and go shoot at a bird at 70 yds with a bead and wound it.

“There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim.”
General James Mattis

#3625709 - 03/25/14 11:22 AM Re: Grant Woods and the Longbeard shells [Re: Bone Collector]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

I'd have been more impressed if Dr. Woods had simply shown the 40-yr pattern, and left it at that. No matter how we rationalize the 70-yd thing, he ended up promoting hunters' taking long-range, low-probability shots.

Single pellet in the gut, the bird dies a few days later, unrecovered by the shooter.

#3625752 - 03/25/14 12:27 PM Re: Grant Woods and the Longbeard shells [Re: Wes Parrish]
muddyboots
12 Point

I have never used the shells. I use nitros but they patterned as well or better than mine on video. I went to Winchester website and they say the shell is loaded with something 10 per cent heavier than lead. So they are saying they aren't lead. Are they lead shells?

Edited by muddyboots (03/25/14 12:27 PM)

#3625757 - 03/25/14 12:32 PM Re: Grant Woods and the Longbeard shells [Re: muddyboots]
Boll Weevil
8 Point

Yes, the LBs are good ol'copper plated lead (vs. HTL).
#3625764 - 03/25/14 12:44 PM Re: Grant Woods and the Longbeard shells [Re: Boll Weevil]
Team Grizzly
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Boll Weevil
Yes, the LBs are good ol'copper plated lead (vs. HTL).

Encased in some type of resin that pretty much fragments through the flightpath after the shell is fired.... it is supposed to hold the shot charge together a little longer.... The hulls I fired last week looked like they had been held over a fire and charred about a 1/2" from the open end....

#3625795 - 03/25/14 01:08 PM Re: Grant Woods and the Longbeard shells [Re: Grizzly Johnson]
muddyboots
12 Point

10-4

#3625805 - 03/25/14 01:16 PM Re: Grant Woods and the Longbeard shells [Re: Wes Parrish]
LanceS4803
6 Point

Loc: Middle TN

70 yards?
Dang, I'll have to take a range finder with me now!!

#3625834 - 03/25/14 01:51 PM Re: Grant Woods and the Longbeard shells [Re: LanceS4803]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

You might want to speak with Mr. Big about a target scope to go with that rangefinder.
#3625862 - 03/25/14 02:08 PM Re: Grant Woods and the Longbeard shells [Re: Wes Parrish]
Final steps TC
4 Point

Loc: Lenoir city

I get so frustrated year in and year out with companies promoting 55+ yard shots on turkey it makes me sick. That is not an ethical shot in my book what so ever !! I have patterned all kinds of turkeys loads and guns over the years and yes I can hold a good enough pattern at those distances to kill a paper turkey but a real turkey I think not...If you want a real good test take a 1/4 inch marine plywood out at 45 yards and see if it will penetrate through it. I strongly suggest you guys contemplating shooting the Longbeard 6's to due this as yes they will hold a pattern at 50 but in my experience they don't have the energy to penetrate. I see a lot of wounded and disgusted turkey hunters this spring that try to push the limits of what the shell is capable of doing. I have tested the 5's at 50 yards and 30% of the pellets penetrated all the way through. The 6's had less then 5% penetrate. The HTL loads definitely do penetrate better at longer distances but they don't hold a candle to the patterns the longbeards are giving in my opinion. That is why as turkey hunters and sportsmen it is our job to know what the tools we carry are capable of doing. That being said I have switched from Hevi shot mag blend this year to the longbeards I know at 45 yards(a reasonable shot)my gun is going to kill the bird without questions from my gun. Part of the joy of hunting these elusive birds is the fact of getting inside there comfort zone and watching them work!!

#3625877 - 03/25/14 02:18 PM Re: Grant Woods and the Longbeard shells [Re: Final steps TC]
deerhunter10
10 Point

very good point final steps. no telling how many times if been some where eating breakfast or something and get to listening to hunters tell the stories about the misses of a long shot or I know I hit him I don't know why it didn't kill him blah blah blah, it drives me up the wall.

#3625939 - 03/25/14 03:52 PM Re: Grant Woods and the Longbeard shells [Re: Final steps TC]
Bone Collector
14 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

Originally Posted By: Final steps TC
I get so frustrated year in and year out with companies promoting 55+ yard shots on turkey it makes me sick. That is not an ethical shot in my book what so ever !! I have patterned all kinds of turkeys loads and guns over the years and yes I can hold a good enough pattern at those distances to kill a paper turkey but a real turkey I think not...If you want a real good test take a 1/4 inch marine plywood out at 45 yards and see if it will penetrate through it. I strongly suggest you guys contemplating shooting the Longbeard 6's to due this as yes they will hold a pattern at 50 but in my experience they don't have the energy to penetrate. I see a lot of wounded and disgusted turkey hunters this spring that try to push the limits of what the shell is capable of doing. I have tested the 5's at 50 yards and 30% of the pellets penetrated all the way through. The 6's had less then 5% penetrate. The HTL loads definitely do penetrate better at longer distances but they don't hold a candle to the patterns the longbeards are giving in my opinion. That is why as turkey hunters and sportsmen it is our job to know what the tools we carry are capable of doing. That being said I have switched from Hevi shot mag blend this year to the longbeards I know at 45 yards(a reasonable shot)my gun is going to kill the bird without questions from my gun. Part of the joy of hunting these elusive birds is the fact of getting inside there comfort zone and watching them work!!

I shoot Mag Blends, but am contemplating switching. I can get twice as many shells for the same price.

BTW you need to change your signature line if you switched your ammo

“There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim.”
General James Mattis

#3626025 - 03/25/14 05:58 PM Re: Grant Woods and the Longbeard shells [Re: Bone Collector]
callemquacktn
4 Point

Loc: Wartrace, Tn

Originally Posted By: Bone Collector
 Originally Posted By: Final steps TC

I shoot Mag Blends, but am contemplating switching. I can get twice as many shells for the same price.

BTW you need to change your signature line if you switched your ammo

Lol

#3626060 - 03/25/14 06:40 PM Re: Grant Woods and the Longbeard shells [Re: muddyboots]
Setterman
8 Point

Loc: Knoxville, TN

Growing deer TV has no business dipping into the turkey hunting world, in fact their approach to deer is doing enough damage on its own.

These people on TV and elsewhere in the public eye are not doing things to make hunting any better, and are only creating a new generation which is repulsive in their tactics, mentality, ethics, and general way they spend their time afield.

Spend an afternoon watching hunting shows for all the proof you need of this

#3626094 - 03/25/14 07:17 PM Re: Grant Woods and the Longbeard shells [Re: Setterman]
bogger
4 Point

Loc: gladeville,tn

But really guys, is this any different than a sports car doing 180mph down a winding mountain road on a commercial. Are you gonna do it? Common sense is there or its not. Guarantee you the same guy will make the same long shot with long beards,htl, federal or nitros. Hit or miss! Your wasting your thumbs typing, except you ALL have promoted this video! Good luck opening to all!
#3626101 - 03/25/14 07:23 PM Re: Grant Woods and the Longbeard shells [Re: bogger]
seaton0024
4 Point

Loc: Savannah/Murfreesboro, Tenness...

I see nothing wrong with showing the shot. I watched it and it did not feel the urge to go out and take a 60+ yard shot. I think some people just like to find something to complain about it.
#3626125 - 03/25/14 07:51 PM Re: Grant Woods and the Longbeard shells [Re: seaton0024]
Setterman
8 Point

What y'all don't seem to understand or notice is that the entire culture of hunting is changing.

The simple things are everything is focused on making things easier and easier and completing removing hunting from the sport and replacing it with killing critters the easiest way imaginable.

As an example during youth hunts everyone goes on and on how a decoy and blind are mandatory because kids can't sit still enough to kill a bird. Back in my youth, like many others we had to learn to sit still or else we spooked the bird, in other words we learned the hard way how to be successful, and learned from our mistakes. Now those mistakes are eliminated and short cuts are taken to ensure something gets killed immediately rather than learning to be a good hunter and not making mistakes which ruin killing opportunities. I'm not knocking those who use the above method, just showing an example.

Another example are these new loads and chokes to kill birds at long range. It used to be that if you didn't set up well or call well, the bird won and walked away. Thus teaching us to be better hunters, rather than again having that instant success.

My point is advancements are fantastic, and we all benefit from many, but at what point are we ruining the sport by making things to easy?

Some see this movement while most are oblivious as to what's happening. At some point taking the approach of if its legal who cares, is just naive to where the future of our sport is headed.

This is more a bigger picture thing than just a simple turkey shell discussion.

Where do you all want this sport to go?

Edited by Setterman (03/25/14 07:58 PM)

#3626173 - 03/25/14 08:17 PM Re: Grant Woods and the Longbeard shells [Re: Setterman]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Setterman
What y'all don't seem to understand or notice is that the entire culture of hunting is changing.

The simple things are everything is focused on making things easier and easier and completing removing hunting from the sport and replacing it with killing critters the easiest way imaginable.
. . . . . .
My point is advancements are fantastic, and we all benefit from many, but at what point are we ruining the sport by making things too easy?

Some see this movement while most are oblivious as to what's happening. At some point taking the approach of if its legal who cares, is just naive to where the future of our sport is headed.

This is more a bigger picture thing than just a simple turkey shell discussion.

Where do you all want this sport to go?

Some very good points there, Setterman.
I believe we may be turning what was once the sport of hunting into little more than just shooting.

It will not surprise me if we don't soon have shooters (I just can't call everyone carrying a gun a "hunter") demanding centerfire rifles be legal for turkey hunting in TN.

But where do I want this sport to go?
I'd simply like to see more focus on promoting the hunting than the shooting. True, shooting and killing are a part of hunting, but we can make it more or less about the hunt, or the shooting. If what one wants most is just to shoot and to kill something, I'm sure many pig and poultry farmers can make arrangements for anyone to come kill their pigs and birds for a few dollars.

#3626174 - 03/25/14 08:18 PM Re: Grant Woods and the Longbeard shells [Re: Setterman]
bogger
4 Point

I understand and agree with your point setterman. My only point was just because we see something doesn't make you do it.
#3626177 - 03/25/14 08:20 PM Re: Grant Woods and the Longbeard shells [Re: Grizzly Johnson]
mountain man 71
10 Point

Loc: Talbott Tn.

They do shoot good but that is to far.
#3626182 - 03/25/14 08:25 PM Re: Grant Woods and the Longbeard shells [Re: bogger]
Setterman
8 Point

Originally Posted By: bogger
I understand and agree with your point setterman. My only point was just because we see something doesn't make you do it.

You missed the entire premise of my post. That's the problem and what's eroding this sport. Too many of us have the view that as long as it it's legal than we should look the other way and not worry.

In reality we should be asking is this really good for hunting? Or is it just pushing us further towards killing and eliminating the hunting aspect for the sake of instant gratification?

#3626220 - 03/25/14 09:23 PM Re: Grant Woods and the Longbeard shells [Re: Setterman]
bogger
4 Point

You can go back decades and listen to people say the same thing about compound bows, inline muzzleloaders,crossbows or rage broad heads.lol which I'm sure everyone of us own at least one of. I just don't see the point in complaining about a guy shooting a target at 70 yds. I myself love to watch a bird work in to 30yds. But we will always have poachers, shooters ands those who purely enjoy just getting in the woods and see beyond the kill. I see that the latter is your belief and I see it the same way. Let's get out there and hear some gobbling sat. Good luck gentlemen.
#3626259 - 03/25/14 10:09 PM Re: Grant Woods and the Longbeard shells [Re: bogger]
Setterman
8 Point

You can go back decades and listen to people say the same thing about compound bows, inline muzzleloaders,crossbows or rage broad heads.lol which I'm sure everyone of us own at least one of. I just don't see the point in complaining about a guy shooting a target at 70 yds. I myself love to watch a bird work in to 30yds. But we will always have poachers, shooters ands those who purely enjoy just getting in the woods and see beyond the kill. I see that the latter is your belief and I see it the same way. Let's get out there and hear some gobbling sat. Good luck gentlemen.

Go back and read my other post, I pretty clearly address the same exact stuff you do above. However, I see things from a different point of view.

#3626268 - 03/25/14 10:30 PM Re: Grant Woods and the Longbeard shells [Re: Setterman]
Roost 1
10 Point

Loc: KY

I have been saying it for years, TV is/will be tje downfall to hunting. It used to be the hunting shows did focus on the hunt as Wes mentioned, however, apparently that doesn't get you sponsorships.. Now they just promote products and focus on the kill....alot of these guys don't know a thing about hunting, just killing but it sells....I watched Michael Waddell crawl around behind his Thunderchicken shooting gobblers....does this really need to be on TV? I can already envision the story of how hunter gets shot crawling around behind a decoy........

Z7extreme
Savage 10ML 2
Remington 700P .308

#3626450 - 03/26/14 08:04 AM Re: Grant Woods and the Longbeard shells [Re: Roost 1]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: Atoka, TN

Figured I'd fuel the fire with this post....

For those who don't think the "average Joe" will not only try a 60-80 yard shot (60-90 steps depending on your stride) with his new WIN Longbeard XRs, AND furthermore, advocate it to others, just watch this video filmed on the MS opener.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKDAaEH4qlU

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.

#3626480 - 03/26/14 08:31 AM Re: Grant Woods and the Longbeard shells [Re: Andy S.]
Setterman
8 Point

Man that makes my blood boil. I will choose to not comment any further so I don't get myself in trouble. But let it be known every week that has passed during this ramp up to the season I'm losing more and more faith in the people that call themselves turkey hunters and am ashamed to share the woods with them.
#3626484 - 03/26/14 08:40 AM Re: Grant Woods and the Longbeard shells [Re: Andy S.]
Team Grizzly
16 Point

SMH... talk about a lucky shot/pellet.... Wonder what happened to the one the other guy peppered.

#3626505 - 03/26/14 09:16 AM Re: Grant Woods and the Longbeard shells [Re: Roost 1]
knightrider
12 Point

Loc: tn

Originally Posted By: Roost 1
I have been saying it for years, TV is/will be tje downfall to hunting. It used to be the hunting shows did focus on the hunt as Wes mentioned, however, apparently that doesn't get you sponsorships.. Now they just promote products and focus on the kill....alot of these guys don't know a thing about hunting, just killing but it sells....I watched Michael Waddell crawl around behind his Thunderchicken shooting gobblers....does this really need to be on TV? I can already envision the story of how hunter gets shot crawling around behind a decoy........
yep of course tv will be a major result in the downfall of hunting look how much its helped society

#3626515 - 03/26/14 09:34 AM Re: Grant Woods and the Longbeard shells [Re: Wes Parrish]
Plateau Hunter
8 Point

Loc: Cannon County, TN

Look-everyone has to determine their own style/method in all aspects of life. With turkey hunting it is no different. I am happy to see an improved shell that doesn't cost $5 per that will hold tighter patterns to longer range myself-that also means it has a tighter pattern at shorter or more appropriate ranges as well. Technology has given us much more efficient equipment. If a hunter chooses to hunt with the equipment that his grandfather or great grandfather used- great! That certainly should give him/her a greater sense of accomplishment when they are successful. However that doesn't give them the right to become the czar or emperor of turkey hunting to dictate to other hunters the ways and means that the other hunters should/must use. The same concept applies to all other hunting as well. Everyone has their line of fair chase or ethics-it WILL NOT be the same for everyone. That is why legal ways and means are the province of the wildlife agencies and not any one individual. Just hunt the way you like and don't worry so much about what everyone else is doing. Their methods shouldn't detract from your enjoyment of your hunting style.

#3626542 - 03/26/14 10:07 AM Re: Grant Woods and the Longbeard shells [Re: Plateau Hunter]
Team Grizzly
16 Point

That may be all good and well if you are hunting private lands.... If you are hunting public lands, others' actions can/do affect your hunt.... I have had it happen on private land as well though.

As a license buyer, I have the right to say something.... especially if I see someone out shooting up shells wounding turkeys left and right because they saw someone on tv/youtube make that same shot or they read about a 72 yard shot on an internet forum and they think they can too.... Wounded and lost birds affects us all as turkey hunters.... especially in areas where the population may be struggling.

#3626557 - 03/26/14 10:19 AM Re: Grant Woods and the Longbeard shells [Re: Grizzly Johnson]
Boll Weevil
8 Point

The hunting industry has a tremendous opportunity I believe...to bring to the forefront topics related to hunting ethics and and developing skills in the field. Ethics are personal and I get that but so much focus in on product / outfitters vs woodsmanship / sportsmanship.
#3626627 - 03/26/14 11:31 AM Re: Grant Woods and the Longbeard shells [Re: Boll Weevil]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

IMO, if someone is stupid enough to wound turkeys left and right because they saw a video or a post, it's not the video/post's fault... You just have a stupid hunter running in the woods who would do stuff like that anyway. I know someone whose friend went with another friend last year on opening day, and between the 2 of them, they killed 8 toms out of a flock. Just goes to show some people don't care.

...since last deer season

#3626629 - 03/26/14 11:32 AM Re: Grant Woods and the Longbeard shells [Re: catman529]
Final steps TC
4 Point

http://randywakeman.com/

#3626632 - 03/26/14 11:33 AM Re: Grant Woods and the Longbeard shells [Re: Final steps TC]
Final steps TC
4 Point

Watch his video and listen to what a man who knows way more about shotgun patterning then I do has to say about the shells !!

#3626687 - 03/26/14 12:42 PM Re: Grant Woods and the Longbeard shells [Re: Grizzly Johnson]
Setterman
8 Point

Originally Posted By: Grizzly Johnson
That may be all good and well if you are hunting private lands.... If you are hunting public lands, others' actions can/do affect your hunt.... I have had it happen on private land as well though.

As a license buyer, I have the right to say something.... especially if I see someone out shooting up shells wounding turkeys left and right because they saw someone on tv/youtube make that same shot or they read about a 72 yard shot on an internet forum and they think they can too.... Wounded and lost birds affects us all as turkey hunters.... especially in areas where the population may be struggling.

I agree and several years ago I had to burn one of my tags on a wounded gobbler I found. Not only was that bitter but the meat was rancid as well from infection

So this attitude of if it's legal it's no one else's business is garbage. What hunters do on public or private ground affects others many times

I'm peaking in my disdain for this stuff. Whether it be the crawl behind decoys, the long range bs, etc etc. I'm fed up with watching all of it spiraling out of control with way too many folks looking the other way

#3626757 - 03/26/14 01:54 PM Re: Grant Woods and the Longbeard shells [Re: muddyboots]
TLRanger
8 Point

Loc: Nashville

I was at Bass Pro yesterday looking at shotgun shells. Began talking to another customer. He was looking for Winchester Longbeards. They only had them in 3 inch and he wanted 3.5 inch. We began talking about how far you kill birds. I told him that I don't shoot unless they are 40 yards or under. He said he shoots out to 80 yards and kills them dead on the spot with #5 lead shot. I need his shotgun!

#3626765 - 03/26/14 01:59 PM Re: Grant Woods and the Longbeard shells [Re: TLRanger]
deerhunter10
10 Point

Originally Posted By: TLRanger
I was at Bass Pro yesterday looking at shotgun shells. Began talking to another customer. He was looking for Winchester Longbeards. They only had them in 3 inch and he wanted 3.5 inch. We began talking about how far you kill birds. I told him that I don't shoot unless they are 40 yards or under. He said he shoots out to 80 yards and kills them dead on the spot with #5 lead shot. I need his shotgun!

oh man I love those conversations. usually they come up in the line to get my license at walmart. just makes me shake my head. just frustrates me.

#3626777 - 03/26/14 02:06 PM Re: Grant Woods and the Longbeard shells [Re: Setterman]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

I watched those boys video above, and it was evident, they themselves had been watching too many videos, more interested in trying to look "cool" (as seen on TV) than in actually enjoying the hunt.

For example, they had money for a high-end video cam, a dedicated cameraman, but weren't using even a cheap rangefinder? Am assuming there was no rangefinder, since he "guessed" the birds at 50 yards before he stepped it off at closer to 70.

So what's next, will the TV crowd start thinking it's more cool to just use a centerfire rifle, that way you don't even have to wait for the bird to come under 70 yards? Or maybe we could get it "legal" (then it would be OK) to use remote-controlled drones to "herd" the turkeys withing rifle range, for those times when we can't see them?

IMO, this was more about filming and seeking attention, than hunting, and more about just shooting than hunting.

#3626784 - 03/26/14 02:10 PM Re: Grant Woods and the Longbeard shells [Re: deerhunter10]
Setterman
8 Point

Originally Posted By: deerhunter10
 Originally Posted By: TLRanger

oh man I love those conversations. usually they come up in the line to get my license at walmart. just makes me shake my head. just frustrates me.

See I'm the guy that when some idiot starts running their mouth like that who calls their bluff and narrowly escapes a fist fight inside the store. It never ceases to amaze me some of the folks who venture afield every year.

#3626787 - 03/26/14 02:12 PM Re: Grant Woods and the Longbeard shells [Re: Wes Parrish]
deerhunter10
10 Point

agree 100 percent. you could clearly see even on footage that the birds were pass 50 yards. they just wanted to look cool. and who in the world uses a different shell just because they expect a closer shot? I shoot magnumblends no matter what. granted I want them within 40 yards and that's my max but im not going to shoot a shell I haven't patterned. so many things I want to say but im not.

#3626795 - 03/26/14 02:17 PM Re: Grant Woods and the Longbeard shells [Re: deerhunter10]
Setterman
8 Point

Originally Posted By: deerhunter10
agree 100 percent. you could clearly see even on footage that the birds were pass 50 yards. they just wanted to look cool. and who in the world uses a different shell just because they expect a closer shot? I shoot magnumblends no matter what. granted I want them within 40 yards and that's my max but im not going to shoot a shell I haven't patterned. so many things I want to say but im not.

Haha, I'm with you and have held back on this believe it or not. I'd rather not spend turkey season in time out......again. Lol

#3626812 - 03/26/14 02:33 PM Re: Grant Woods and the Longbeard shells [Re: Setterman]
bogger
4 Point

Yep, me too!
#3626816 - 03/26/14 02:37 PM Re: Grant Woods and the Longbeard shells [Re: Wes Parrish]
bogger
4 Point

I didn't notice but that is kind of bad, a high camera and no rangefinder though.
#3626831 - 03/26/14 02:53 PM Re: Grant Woods and the Longbeard shells [Re: bogger]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

I didn't notice but that is kind of bad, a high camera and no rangefinder though.

And the one who wounded his bird was loaded up with a close-range shell, yet went ahead and shot anyway?

The only thing that really surprises me is that they didn't shoot sooner.

#3626836 - 03/26/14 02:55 PM Re: Grant Woods and the Longbeard shells [Re: Grizzly Johnson]
tickweed
10 Point

Loc: medon,Tn.

Originally Posted By: Grizzly Johnson
Just what we need.... another company, more people, promoting long shots that result in crippled/lost birds.... as if Hevi-Shot weren't doing a good enough job by themselves.

Amen. Sad to say, but we are really getting away from the true sport of turkey hunting.

Page all of 6 12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Bobby G, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, Grizzly Johnson 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
camohunter3, mtd, Higdon23, blcmrr2008, Urban deer Hunter
13270 Registered Users
Who's Online
103 registered (iowavf, jb3, Nimrod777, duckriver, OneShot, Coon_huntr4life, 13 invisible) and 122 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13270 Members
42 Forums
92986 Topics
1086629 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.119 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.