Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#3610775 - 03/08/14 08:15 PM Help/Advice with a WY speed goat hunt
Tony USMC
8 Point

Loc: Rockwood,TN USA

A few if us TNDEER hunter are looking at heading west in the next 2-3 yrs to go on a DIY pronghorn hunt in WY. I have a few questions ?
1.) What must bring gear should we bring.
2.) What area's should we put in for .
3.) should we stick to public land or pay to hunt on private land.
4.) Overall cost
5.) overall group "party tag" number 4 or 6 hunters
Any advice will help us, thank you very much!

#3610873 - 03/08/14 10:55 PM Re: Help/Advice with a WY speed goat hunt [Re: Tony USMC]
chip
6 Point

Loc: spring hill

1 Spotting scope , good binoculars , range finder , bipod , small tarp to skin & debone meat at the kill site , cloth game sacks for the meat , frame pack or good backpack to haul out meat .

2 Depends how many points you have , I've hunted unit 73 & 21 and killed a buck in both units . Get a subscription to eastmans hunting journal they give some good info on the units .

3 If you build up 2-3 points you should be able to draw a decent unit with lots of public land . Some of the units in the northeast corner are easy draws and have a decent amount of public land . You may be able to find a private ranch that lets people hunt for a trespass fee .

4 Cost depends on how many people to split cost with and if you stay in a hotel or camp . License are 286 for a buck tag and 40 something for doe tags I think plus a 13 dollar conservation stamp . 3 of us went together twice and in diesel trucks and its about $1,000 in fuel out there and back with all the driving you'll do out there . Hotels rooms for a week were around $400-$500 where we stayed with 2 beds and a foldout . Groceries were about $150 for sandwiches and snacks and drinks for 3 people + we ate dinner out several nights .

5 You can have up to 6 people in a party 1 person is the group leader and chooses the hunt areas for the draw and everyone else just joins your group # . You can buy points only starting in may I think thru aug or sep for $30 definitely buy points if you haven't already .
Good luck , hope this helps .

#3611052 - 03/09/14 10:06 AM Re: Help/Advice with a WY speed goat hunt [Re: chip]
AT Hiker
6 Point

Loc: Clarksville, Tennessee

^^^chip gave you great advice

If you are planning to go in 2-3 years then I would start building points, check out the WY Game and Fish website and start studying it now. It will answer 90% of the questions you might have, study draw odds, public access, etc.

Start reading blogs, magazines, and buy books (Eastmans antelope book is good).

1.) "What must bring gear should we bring."

Antelope hunting is very low stress (compared to other western game). Good boots, new pads, good optics and a GPS are all needed items. The GPS will save each of you a trespassing ticket.

2.) "What area's should we put in for ."

Start building points and with 2 points you can draw a lot of good areas with good access. 3 points will put you in some really good areas with better access. Trophy antelope will be found all through WY (so dont let the "trophy" craze sway you to one area, most people cant tell the difference between a 70" and 80" lope, and I honestly dont care myself. Basically the best hunt you can have is low hunter pressure, good public land access, and a decent huntable population.

3.) "should we stick to public land or pay to hunt on private land."
If you wait and build points then I would go with public land. You will be able to hunt on your schedule and not be stressed over paying an outiftter or landowner. Plus the extra money you save with a DIY hunt you can pay a taxidermist, buy really good beer and eat big WY steaks.

4.) "Overall cost"
Dont worry about it to much, you have 2-3 years to save. The trip will cost a lot less compared to your gear list. A good quality spotting scope is needed along with a good set of binocs. Those two items will cost more than your trip. Yes you can get away without having them, but you will also be handicapping yourself as well.

5.) "overall group "party tag" number 4 or 6 hunters"
Personally I would not hunt with no more than 3 people per vehicle, unless you absolutely love all 4-6 people. Antelope hunting requires a lot of driving, parking and hiking/glassing.

Do you plan to camp or hotel it? Be prepared to camp as some of the areas are literally a 2 or more hours drive from a hotel.

A 4x4 truck with 10 ply tires will make your life easier out there. When moisture falls you are screwed on those bentonite roads.

Good luck, as you will be hooked for life once the western bug bites you.

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
-John Muir

#3611453 - 03/09/14 07:41 PM Re: Help/Advice with a WY speed goat hunt [Re: AT Hiker]
Big Ben
10 Point

Loc: North of Nashville across the ...

Water lot's of water for you not the lopes. P-Goats are pest in some areas. We bow hunted the area around Douglas Wy and never was turned down for access. The highest trespass fee we paid was $20...The place I killed two (buck & doe) cost me a case of Bud.

#3611615 - 03/09/14 09:43 PM Re: Help/Advice with a WY speed goat hunt [Re: Big Ben]
AT Hiker
6 Point

Originally Posted By: Big Ben
Water lot's of water for you not the lopes. P-Goats are pest in some areas. We bow hunted the area around Douglas Wy and never was turned down for access. The highest trespass fee we paid was $20...The place I killed two (buck & doe) cost me a case of Bud.

When was this? That area is usually easy to draw and they are wanting upwards $500-$1000 trespass now. Plum crazy if u ask me...

-John Muir

#3612087 - 03/10/14 12:50 PM Re: Help/Advice with a WY speed goat hunt [Re: AT Hiker]
Tony USMC
8 Point

Great advice guys thank you very much!

#3612118 - 03/10/14 01:26 PM Re: Help/Advice with a WY speed goat hunt [Re: Tony USMC]
trealtree
16 Point

Loc: Middle Tennessee

Don't forget your swiftwick "pursuit" 7 inch merino wool socks. you only need 1 pair for your entire trip.

#3613999 - 03/12/14 10:04 AM Re: Help/Advice with a WY speed goat hunt [Re: trealtree]
AT Hiker
6 Point

Originally Posted By: trealtree
Don't forget your swiftwick "pursuit" 7 inch merino wool socks. you only need 1 pair for your entire trip.

You love those dont ya! I must say though, the tent didnt stink too much.

-John Muir

#3615828 - 03/14/14 06:42 AM Re: Help/Advice with a WY speed goat hunt [Re: AT Hiker]
trealtree
16 Point

Loc: Middle Tennessee

Originally Posted By: AT Hiker
 Originally Posted By: trealtree

You love those dont ya! I must say though, the tent didnt stink too much.

There is not one person that I have told about the socks that has ever heard of them. And there is not one person that I have recommended them to that has bought a pair... I guess I'm not a good salesman when I tell someone "I've been wearing these socks for 15 days.. smell them" And I also suppose other people don't realize the fun my feet have every day while wrapped in the soft, non-slip, breathable and moisture-wicking socks... \:\)

#3618868 - 03/17/14 06:52 PM Re: Help/Advice with a WY speed goat hunt [Re: trealtree]
Tony USMC
8 Point

I think we are going to buy points and hope to draw in 2-3 yrs

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
camohunter3, mtd, Higdon23, blcmrr2008, Urban deer Hunter
13270 Registered Users
Who's Online
108 registered (LSUtigers, Coon_huntr4life, JayMc, Cooter, fourwheeler431, WVBulldog, 19 invisible) and 143 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13270 Members
42 Forums
93016 Topics
1086912 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 1.333 seconds in which 0.017 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.