Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#3607520 - 03/04/14 10:28 PM Put in for Utah Hunts
LanceS4803
6 Point

Loc: Middle TN

Just finished with my annual exercise in futility, otherwise known as Utah Limited Entry and Once in a Lifetime permit applications.
After 10 years of applying, might have enough points for a decent LE mule deer location.
Bison? Not in my lifetime.

#3607631 - 03/05/14 06:33 AM Re: Put in for Utah Hunts [Re: LanceS4803]
tickweed
10 Point

Loc: medon,Tn.

never know

#3610380 - 03/08/14 09:55 AM Re: Put in for Utah Hunts [Re: tickweed]
AT Hiker
6 Point

Loc: Clarksville, Tennessee

I hope you draw your tag, good luck.

On a side note, these point games are getting out of hand. If a person doesnt start building points within the first couple years when the state starts they might as well not even do it (for those LE, highly profile units). I have pretty much made my mind up that I am not waiting more than 5 years to draw a tag, easier said than done though.

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
-John Muir

#3610448 - 03/08/14 11:28 AM Re: Put in for Utah Hunts [Re: AT Hiker]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: AT Hiker
I hope you draw your tag, good luck.

On a side note, these point games are getting out of hand. If a person doesnt start building points within the first couple years when the state starts they might as well not even do it (for those LE, highly profile units). I have pretty much made my mind up that I am not waiting more than 5 years to draw a tag, easier said than done though.

Yeah, its rediculous. You start talking about sheep hunting, there are thousands of guys with maximum priority points in every state that has tags. You start putting in now, You're looking at decades, if ever, at getting drawn. You have to start playing this game in your early 20s or there's no chance for certain tags unless you are uber wealthy. At some point, hardcore Western hunting almost demands that you just pick a state like WY or AK and move there to get resident privileges, which are still very limited on certain species.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3610770 - 03/08/14 08:12 PM Re: Put in for Utah Hunts [Re: Poser]
LanceS4803
6 Point

AT and Poser hit it exactly.
To be able to do a Limited Entry hunt in the Henry Mountains, UT, most people won't live long enough to build enough points. And that is just deer. Talk Desert Big Horn, and it is worse. And that is for residents.
For Bison, as a resident, I would need 16-20 points. As a non-resident, add another 10, maybe.
Now, add in that Utah (and most other desireable states) give away about 30% of their tags for auction, and you can see how the odds keep decreasing.
I'll have to hunt bison on a reservation or farm, as I'll be physically incapable of doing the hunt in Utah (it's a real bastard).

#3610822 - 03/08/14 09:21 PM Re: Put in for Utah Hunts [Re: LanceS4803]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: LanceS4803
AT and Poser hit it exactly.
To be able to do a Limited Entry hunt in the Henry Mountains, UT, most people won't live long enough to build enough points. And that is just deer. Talk Desert Big Horn, and it is worse. And that is for residents.
For Bison, as a resident, I would need 16-20 points. As a non-resident, add another 10, maybe.
Now, add in that Utah (and most other desireable states) give away about 30% of their tags for auction, and you can see how the odds keep decreasing.
I'll have to hunt bison on a reservation or farm, as I'll be physically incapable of doing the hunt in Utah (it's a real bastard).

Have you considered Mexico? There are free ranging herds down there. You do have to pay for land access, but it's probably cheaper or at least comparable to using a ranch with te added bonus if being free range. There is also an Alaskan herd, but sounds like physical limitations may be prohibitive for you there as well.

#3612561 - 03/10/14 08:54 PM Re: Put in for Utah Hunts [Re: Poser]
LanceS4803
6 Point

I'm in tip-top shape right now. The Army makes sure of that. :-)
BUT, by the time I finally draw a Utah bison tag, I'll be 70!

I actually looked at Mexico for a mule deer hunt. But those things must be made of gold down there.

I am saving up for caribou in Alaska.
My bucket list animals are bison, caribou and pronghorn. Weird mix, I know.

#3612883 - 03/11/14 09:28 AM Re: Put in for Utah Hunts [Re: LanceS4803]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: LanceS4803
I'm in tip-top shape right now. The Army makes sure of that. :-)
BUT, by the time I finally draw a Utah bison tag, I'll be 70!

I actually looked at Mexico for a mule deer hunt. But those things must be made of gold down there.

I am saving up for caribou in Alaska.
My bucket list animals are bison, caribou and pronghorn. Weird mix, I know.

You should totally put in the for AK bison draw then. Its less than $25 to apply annually and, from what I understand, its a straight lottery with no priority points.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=bisonhunting.main

#3613961 - 03/12/14 09:25 AM Re: Put in for Utah Hunts [Re: Poser]
SALTMAN
8 Point

Loc: Cadiz Ky

OK , here s a little help in UT. Pick a LE area that has only one non res permit . Your odds are better. I havn't looked at Mulie numbers but I am sure there are some. The way their draw is done , if there is only one they put your name in the pot as many times as you have points . Those with 15 go in 15 times , you with 5 go in 5 times . Etc. I drew elk mz with only 7 points . And there were many ahead of me . If there are 2 then the first one goes to most points and the second is random , but you are not in the random multiple times .
#3614663 - 03/12/14 07:55 PM Re: Put in for Utah Hunts [Re: SALTMAN]
LanceS4803
6 Point

Thanks Saltman.
I had 10 points this year on LE Deer, same as my UT Resident hunting buddy. We put in for Book Cliffs as first choice, and West Desert as second.
I also apply for each OIL animal. It's only $10 each, and there is a theoretical chance of getting them. I'm up to 9 on Bison, so chances are much better there.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Mik475, AaronB, Bad Wolf, jw3783, Jesse91
13279 Registered Users
Who's Online
111 registered (MickThompson, D84, TIGGREM2, peleejosh, Main Beam, shaneb, 16 invisible) and 140 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13279 Members
42 Forums
93191 Topics
1089330 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.21 seconds in which 0.005 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.