Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#3604928 - 03/02/14 07:56 PM Aspire'n fly fisher needs advice.
FOX FIRE
8 Point

Loc: Mt. Eagle

I've been want'n to learn how to use a fly rod for a long time, read something a while back about fiber glass rods are better for beginners, said it was more forgive'n than graphite and offered a better feel when load'n up, but I have no idea and was curious what ya'll might have to say regarding either material or kits mentioned for a beginner to learn on.

Found some 5wt eagle Claw FG rods on ebay for a reasonable price & was think'n about the Okuma sierra reel, but havent decided one which line to buy.

But can buy a complete matched set up at either BPS or Sportsmans warehouse for around $100+, the Reddington crosswater or Whites creek dogwood canyon, but they're graphite.

Any advice ??

#3604963 - 03/02/14 08:17 PM Re: Aspire'n fly fisher needs advice. [Re: FOX FIRE]
guthooked
4 Point

Loc: Gibbs

Don't buy glass. It's outdated. You can buy and entry level graphite rod that will fish fine forever. 8-9ft 4 or5 weight is the way to go. 9ft is probably best. Don't be tempted by short light rods. they're not what you need around here. Glass is simply outdated. you can learn to cast with a graphite rod and it will serve you well.

Look into hiring a guide or getting some casting lessons early on. You'll benefit from it if you don't have a friend to walk you through.

#3605078 - 03/02/14 09:19 PM Re: Aspire'n fly fisher needs advice. [Re: guthooked]
scn
14 Point

Loc: Brentwood, TN US

content Online
If you are trying to decide if you will like it, one of the entry outfits will do the job.

If you are pretty sure you are going to get into it, you might want to step up a notch. I received good advice on here a few years ago when I got back into it to not start with the lowest grade rod. I ended up with the Sage FLight series which was a level above their entry rods but still within my price range. They no longer are making that series, so there are some bargains on ebay. As suggested, a 9' 4 or 5 wt. should be a good starter and one you will use for a while. Graphite is the way to go.

Take advantage of the wide range of videos available free online to get info on the basics. Instruction from Lefty Kreh, Joan Wulff and others are a click away. It would be helpful to start with a casting lesson from a pro to have good habits from the start and not get bad habits that will need to be corrected (or lived with in my case).

My favorite online fly shop is Blue Ribbon Flies out of W Yellowstone, MT. They have a great video library of both fly tying and fly fishing. This is the age of online videos, and there is a world of information available for all areas of fly fishing.

Enjoy the journey!

#3605168 - 03/02/14 10:50 PM Re: Aspire'n fly fisher needs advice. [Re: scn]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

I have a fiberglass rod given to me by our former member Gramps, it is no special new rod but it has caught me a few fish, and I plan to keep it as long as it lasts. Fiberglass will get the job done fine but it's a lot more floppy than graphite. You can get a cheap beginner graphite to start off with, because you won't know if you like it till you try it. I haven't used mine in over a year but sure I will pick it up again soon. So don't go buy a top notch fly rod if you aren't sure you will be using it a lot. A cheap one will get the job done fine, just don't break it.

...since last deer season

#3605204 - 03/03/14 12:15 AM Re: Aspire'n fly fisher needs advice. [Re: catman529]
JMcB
4 Point

Loc: E.TN

There are a bunch of great fly fishermen who still carry fiberglass. Fiberglass are usually thicker in diameter at the butt, a bit heaver than graphite and a much slower action. And by slower I mean a more flexible tip where the rod is slow to load and throws a higher loop when released. A lot of die hard dry fly guys prefer this type action because the slowness of the cast can increase accuracy and they feel that the high loop drops drys more delicately. Inexpensive fiberglass rods are going to be slow action and aren't really well suited to the beginner and are difficult to cast with weighted or double rigged nymphs.

Graphite along with being thinner and lighter, allowed rod builders to stiffen the tip section to medium and fast action. The graphite blanks used for entry priced rods are very similar. What you end up paying a little more for are the components such as cork, rod seats and guides.

Something like this link would make a good entry package. TFO makes a great entry level package. For under $100, its a deal. Or look to Bass Pro for TFO packages.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TFO-NXT-8-6-4-5-...=item4d19afabdc

#3605808 - 03/03/14 02:02 PM Re: Aspire'n fly fisher needs advice. [Re: JMcB]
go_okfishin
6 Point

Loc: Bellevue

Bass Pro in Nashville has some TFO rods marked down to $79.

#3606178 - 03/03/14 07:01 PM Re: Aspire'n fly fisher needs advice. [Re: go_okfishin]
FOX FIRE
8 Point

Loc: Mt. Eagle

Thanks for the food for thought gents, have been look'n at the Reddington cross water kit/combo, priced a little over a hundred bucks & includes everything needed but just to get the nuts & bolts of it down I may find something cheaper then upgrade once I have a feel for it, I just want to learn to do it correct & avoid bad habits & sloppy form.

So basicly just find a decent matched wt rod/reel.line set up, do some home work & get busy I guess, lessons would be great but dont know of anyone who offers them.

Thanks again.

#3609029 - 03/06/14 03:08 PM Re: Aspire'n fly fisher needs advice. [Re: FOX FIRE]
7mm08
10 Point

Loc: In a river hopefully!

Originally Posted By: FOX FIRE
Thanks for the food for thought gents, have been look'n at the Reddington cross water kit/combo, priced a little over a hundred bucks & includes everything needed but just to get the nuts & bolts of it down I may find something cheaper then upgrade once I have a feel for it, I just want to learn to do it correct & avoid bad habits & sloppy form.

So basicly just find a decent matched wt rod/reel.line set up, do some home work & get busy I guess, lessons would be great but dont know of anyone who offers them.

Thanks again.

Don't even put a leader on the line until you have spent several hours learning to cast. Google Lefty Kreh casting and learn this guy's method. All others are suspect! HA!

Acceleration / Sudden Deacceleration / Acceleration / Sudden Deacceleration......learn this and learn to watch your line even the backcast until you get the hang of it.....Good Luck "Tight Loops" are the key. Remember you CANNOT power through a flyrod enough to break it on a cast, so with casting LACK of speed..kills.

PS...Fish are stupid. They don't care if you cast a 70$ or 700$ rig with a fly on it. It's how you cast it to them that counts.

Edited by 7mm08 (03/06/14 03:11 PM)

#3609604 - 03/07/14 08:47 AM Re: Aspire'n fly fisher needs advice. [Re: 7mm08]
Headhunter
10 Point

Loc: LaVergne, TN USA

I use a boron rod, love it. If you want to look (about all I can afford to do there, I do buy a few tying needs there) at upper end fly gear (I believe he has starter outfits also) go to Fly South in Nashville. Awesome store, Jim is a super guy, shares fishing information, knowledgable and probably one of the better fly fishermen in the southeast.

#3609614 - 03/07/14 08:54 AM Re: Aspire'n fly fisher needs advice. [Re: Headhunter]
Headhunter
10 Point

Loc: LaVergne, TN USA

I once received a free 30 minute lesson from Lefty Kreh, I believe it was the first conclave held by the middle tennessee fly fishers in Gatlinburg. It was funny, I fished with a fly rod way more then than I do now. I tied deer hair bass bugs and still do on occasion.

Lefty was giving a demonstration in the parking lot behind a hotel. He asked if anyone wanted to get a quick lesson. Several guys went before me. I raised my hand and Lefty said come on. I could cast and even almost threw almost the whole spool which was cool because at the time I fished tight places in the stones river a lot and normally did not cast far. To the guys before me though, Lefty would make some kind of comment that there was not much he could help them with and they would get to make about 10 casts. When I made a couple casts, he grinned ear to ear and said something like, Here we go or finally someone I can help. I was amazed what he had me doing in a few minutes and I think he let me keep throwing for as long as I did and he did not say much more after the first 10 minutes or so except ask me to cast in certain ways that I had never even tried before. Guess there was a benefit to not being a pro with a fly rod. Really enjoyed his time. I have forgotten most of what he taught me, but it is a special memory.

Get someone who is good with a fly rod and it does not take long to learn.

Edited by Headhunter (03/07/14 08:57 AM)

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Shouldbeatwork, Tage, Horsefly23, jthisell, pacecardave
13187 Registered Users
Who's Online
77 registered (Tn Joe, arctic_cat, rem270, Horsefly23, Model 1, J.W.308, 9 invisible) and 100 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13187 Members
42 Forums
91030 Topics
1063835 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.041 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.