Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#3601466 - 02/27/14 08:16 AM Re: Ever wonder why the deer at Ft Campbell are so big [Re: woodswise]
AT Hiker
6 Point

Loc: Clarksville, Tennessee

content Online
 Originally Posted By: woodswise
For years Ft.Campbell had a two buck limit. There were lots more deer killed and plenty of big bucks. There was a period when rifles were allowed and the herd began to decline. I can't explain the reason for it or how it contributed to the decline in the kill but I remember years of 4000+ kills. There is no where near the deer on post now as there was then. Could be maturity of the forest or lack of agriculture but definitely different now.

Post leadership changed. My granddad told me of a base commander once; his wife hit a deer and caused some serious damage and scared her to death. The commander then ordered the MP's "to shoot every deer you see".

Not sure how true that story is but a lot has changed though, post employees biologist now, habitat has changed some and doe hunting has been encouraged for a long time now.

I remember the rifle days too, but I do not remember 4000 deer being killed, that is a huge number. Montgomery Co doesnt even kill that many.

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
-John Muir

#3601700 - 02/27/14 12:27 PM Re: Ever wonder why the deer at Ft Campbell are so big [Re: bow_vol]
NBF7240
8 Point

Loc: Tn

Biologist .......haha that's funny. I've heard about the mythical ft Campbell biologist.......He has stars on his collar and owns bird dogs.

Facebook Collins Farm Beef

#3601717 - 02/27/14 12:47 PM Re: Ever wonder why the deer at Ft Campbell are so big [Re: NBF7240]
AT Hiker
6 Point

content Online
 Originally Posted By: NBF7240
Biologist .......haha that's funny. I've heard about the mythical ft Campbell biologist.......He has stars on his collar and owns bird dogs.

Ha! Prob hunts where he wants to as well? Even if its off-limits to everyone else?

-John Muir

#3601770 - 02/27/14 01:40 PM Re: Ever wonder why the deer at Ft Campbell are so big [Re: AT Hiker]
NBF7240
8 Point

Loc: Tn

check out how many times 43 a was open for deer hunting this year and then check how many times it got bird hunted. In fact check the last 2 years.....

Biologist.....phewy

Facebook Collins Farm Beef

#3601851 - 02/27/14 03:10 PM Re: Ever wonder why the deer at Ft Campbell are so big [Re: NBF7240]
SALTMAN
8 Point

Loc: Cadiz Ky

I can remember sat evening at the check stations there would be Numerous big bucks checked in. It was amazing. And there were some fenced in areas that was bow only. I still have the original old map of the base that they quit producing probably 25 years ago. All this was 25-30 years ago . I would like to bow hunt it again if It wasn't such a pain in the butt !
#3602124 - 02/27/14 08:05 PM Re: Ever wonder why the deer at Ft Campbell are so big [Re: SALTMAN]
woodswise
4 Point

Loc: Goodlettsville

happy Online
Back in the day when moby dick was still just a guppy they kept a chalk board up that had each area listed and the current kill totals. The old building down by the lake where victory lane wrapped around and down to the check station. I would hand copy those results each year just to know what areas were killing the most deer. I still have those records! It's amazing how some of those areas are still top producers. We lost several areas as they expanded the impacts and maybe there are deer in those areas that account for some of the decline (loss of huntable habitat) but now the kill averages under 1200 annually. I can't explain it but know it is so...one time when I first began to hunt the post my Dad and I heading out Jordan Springs to bird hunt had to stop the truck and wait for a herd to cross the road. It took several minutes!
#3602173 - 02/27/14 09:03 PM Re: Ever wonder why the deer at Ft Campbell are so big [Re: woodswise]
AT Hiker
6 Point

content Online
Back in the day when moby dick was still just a guppy they kept a chalk board up that had each area listed and the current kill totals. The old building down by the lake where victory lane wrapped around and down to the check station.

Was that the old Rod and Gun Club? I remember it being down there and eating snitzle every weekend with my granddad.

-John Muir

#3602200 - 02/27/14 09:23 PM Re: Ever wonder why the deer at Ft Campbell are so big [Re: AT Hiker]
woodswise
4 Point

Loc: Goodlettsville

happy Online
Yes the Rod and Gun club sat adjacent to the check station. Pros...you could always grab a bite to eat or something to drink while waiting in line for a hunting slot....cons they sold beer and frustrated hunters drank it and came out fighting! I saw many fights over spots in line. Back then it was first come first serve with military priority if you were there. I slept in line for 2 days once for a chance of a 1 day hunt. (young and dumb) There was a spectacular old mount in the club of two huge bucks found on post locked together. I can still remember ole Sam Salyer coming out and screaming at everyone about cigarette butts NOBODYS GOIN HUNTING TIL I GOT A CLEAN YARD!
#3602627 - 02/28/14 12:44 PM Re: Ever wonder why the deer at Ft Campbell are so big [Re: woodswise]
AT Hiker
6 Point

content Online
Yes the Rod and Gun club sat adjacent to the check station. Pros...you could always grab a bite to eat or something to drink while waiting in line for a hunting slot....cons they sold beer and frustrated hunters drank it and came out fighting! I saw many fights over spots in line. Back then it was first come first serve with military priority if you were there. I slept in line for 2 days once for a chance of a 1 day hunt. (young and dumb) There was a spectacular old mount in the club of two huge bucks found on post locked together. I can still remember ole Sam Salyer coming out and screaming at everyone about cigarette butts NOBODYS GOIN HUNTING TIL I GOT A CLEAN YARD!

Awesome story

-John Muir

#3602654 - 02/28/14 01:25 PM Re: Ever wonder why the deer at Ft Campbell are so big [Re: AT Hiker]
Winchester
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

Originally Posted By: AT Hiker
Back in the day when moby dick was still just a guppy they kept a chalk board up that had each area listed and the current kill totals. The old building down by the lake where victory lane wrapped around and down to the check station.

Was that the old Rod and Gun Club? I remember it being down there and eating snitzle every weekend with my granddad.

Man that Snitzle was great!! I too hunted the fort quite a bit back to 25+ yrs ago, started as a teenager. The 2 deer either sex limit was in place for many years and you could shoot both bang bang and be done for the year if you wanted. Ive spent many hours standing in line waiting to get a permit back long before there was any type drawing system, it was first come served on Fri eve for the wknd. I too saw many huge bucks get checked n there and we killed a few over the yrs ourselves! The Ft used to be one of the few places in TN where you had a legitimate shot at killing a good buck!

Page 3 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TNDeerHunter270, rmyers@atpro1, ojf, Muwasi, Brad1
13550 Registered Users
Who's Online
139 registered (BuckWild, big 8's in Weakley county, cozy23, Blue Water Buck, Oly1, AT Hiker, 10 invisible) and 239 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13550 Members
42 Forums
99341 Topics
1168581 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.041 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.