Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 19 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#3589239 - 02/15/14 09:56 PM Re: Backpack Elk Hunt: Where to Shave Weight? [Re: UPSman]
UPSman
TnDeer Old Timer
12 Point

Loc: Powell Tn

3 of us toted a cow out in one trip, about 3 miles. We had to help each other up as we all had about 100+ lbs of elk and gear. I agree whole heartedly on having a plan to get an elk out. Another thing is that if you aren't familiar with horses and tack, then you have no business trying to figure it out when you get to the trail. It is a disaster waiting to happen.

#3589273 - 02/15/14 10:40 PM Re: Backpack Elk Hunt: Where to Shave Weight? [Re: UPSman]
AT Hiker
6 Point

Loc: Clarksville, Tennessee

I have not heard of the Wobby, had to look it up. But I do use a liner in my REI down radiant bag, which by the way is awesome! IMO their is nothing better in its price range.

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
-John Muir

#3589475 - 02/16/14 09:05 AM Re: Backpack Elk Hunt: Where to Shave Weight? [Re: AT Hiker]
1shot1kill
4 Point

Loc: unicoi county tn us

I went on the second rifle hunt in 2013. If I had it to do over I would have left the insulated clothing at the house. They are nice in the early mornings but you will warm up quick when you start putting the miles in. Also if you have insulated boots such as Rocky Bearclaws etc, ditch them, use a lightweight 6" waterproof hiking boot with good socks. Make sure you take extra pair of socks, and mole skin. I took my GPS also and didn't use it just added weight, all you need there is a good topo map and compass. If you do decide to take your GPS I have a 24K Topo Colorado base map if your interested. Good luck on your hunt
#3589532 - 02/16/14 10:05 AM Re: Backpack Elk Hunt: Where to Shave Weight? [Re: AT Hiker]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: AT Hiker

Bottom line is this; you will cut all that weight then hopefully at the end of the hunt you will be packing out more weight than you ever imagined. A nice mature bull elk aint skinny by no means.

What is your favorite backpacking coffee? I like the starbucks via, its my splurge when I go hiking.

Yeah, my plan is to be uninhibited by my pack weight on a daily basis while
hunting, though I intend to train for hauling heavy loads of 100+.

Coffee: Yeah, the via is lightest. I do a have silicone coffee maker setup that's light, but the ground coffee itself adds up if you are talking more than 3-4 days. That is a total luxury, but I'll probably go with the Via on this trip, Seems to be the best quality vs. weight ratio, don't you think?

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3589565 - 02/16/14 10:40 AM Re: Backpack Elk Hunt: Where to Shave Weight? [Re: tickweed]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: tickweed
what are your plans if you take an elk? At the time of yr you are going, you wont have a large time frame to get an 800lb animal out. Believe me, I know. Packing in sounds great, but without horses or mules, getting meat out is a monster of a job if packing out on pack frames. We hike in from our main base camp daily, 3-5 miles, but many times when we have taken Elk we had to get them out that day, and head down the mountain to get them to a processor. If warm at all, the black flies and yellowjackets will cover the meat. Meat bags are a must, as well as skinning as quick as possible. Just keep this in mind, because if you pack in deep in bow season, you will lose meat unless you have 5-6 people in great shape that have pack frames, and are able to get it out asap. Had a buddy that went a couple yrs ago by himself, packed in several miles, killed a nice 5x5, and lost over half the elk due to warm weather, and no help. Going light is great with horses, but you have got to be in daily range of a vehicle during bow season, in the event you have to get a elk out. Now, during gun season, mid Oct. onward, yes, much cooler, usually some snow, meat can be hung, more time to get it out. One tip, if you must hang meat, hang it in dark timber, much cooler, keep the sun off it. Just trying to help you out. Ive been 16 yrs, we've took 30 plus elk. Wish you the best. My last advice, take plenty of water, or you wont make it. You cant drink enough.

Tickweed,

Good question. My plan, as of right now, is to train for hauling heavy loads. I've started focusing on some Olympic lifts: deep squats, snatch, deadlift, thrusters etc to build core strength. I also rigged up this 50 lbs "pill" for my backpack. I intend to make 2 more of them and do some training with up to 3 of them:

While my focus on gear is to shed weight and be ultralight so that I am unhindered while hunting, I plan to be able to deal with hauling 100+ pound loads of meat over difficult terrain. They area that I am looking at, it appears that it is possible to be within 5 miles of a road most or all of the time. Given that, we could potentially split up and one of us bring the vehicle around to a point closer to the meat.

I usually skin, quarter and pack whitetail out of the woods. In fact, this past season, I did that with every deer I killed even when hunting on private land and could have driven up to or very close to the kill site. I did that primarily just to get better and more efficient at it. I've definitely experience the green flies and yellow jackets before, even in November. I've also experienced black flies out West (not in relation to meat, unless you are talking about the chunks of meat they'll bite off your head! ), so that's definitely a consideration, but yeah, the plan would be to get the meat bagged and hanging. From there, I'd say our first priority is getting the meat out, so even if we have to leave our gear and come back later a day or 2 later for it, we'll ferry meat, possibly splitting up and relocating the truck to a closer location is applicable. Also, based on what you told me in the past, I think we'll look at going later in September rather than earlier.

#3589568 - 02/16/14 10:43 AM Re: Backpack Elk Hunt: Where to Shave Weight? [Re: 1shot1kill]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: 1shot1kill
I went on the second rifle hunt in 2013. If I had it to do over I would have left the insulated clothing at the house. They are nice in the early mornings but you will warm up quick when you start putting the miles in. Also if you have insulated boots such as Rocky Bearclaws etc, ditch them, use a lightweight 6" waterproof hiking boot with good socks. Make sure you take extra pair of socks, and mole skin. I took my GPS also and didn't use it just added weight, all you need there is a good topo map and compass. If you do decide to take your GPS I have a 24K Topo Colorado base map if your interested. Good luck on your hunt

I don't think I would use insulated boots unless I were hunting in the Winter in AK. Nothing worse than having sweaty feet when its cool out. I'm going to go with Zamberlan Guides. I have a pair of Vasques that I've had for a number of years, they still have a bit of life in them, but I think I'll retire them from hardcore use.

#3589572 - 02/16/14 10:51 AM Re: Backpack Elk Hunt: Where to Shave Weight? [Re: UPSman]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: UPSman
I have a friend who has an Icon pack. I haven't had the chance to fiddle with it much. With my MR bag, it will carry far more than I can physically tote up and down a mountain. I have seen the Wooby bags but I'm a cold sleeper. I have a Big Agnes Storm King and I sleep just fine in it. If it wasn't so big, I'd carry my Cabelas Alaskan -40 bag, but it doesn't compress down to about the size of a mini fridge.

You own a -40 degree bag ? That's like what you sleep in at Camp 5 on Mt Everest. I have -15 Degree down bag from my Alpine days. That thing is toasty, but even at colder temps, I never felt like I needed a bag that warm. I sleep pretty warm. Put me in a mummy bag and zip it up, and I'll start roasting. Very seldom do I sleep all night with a mummy bag fully contained. Maybe the first 20-30 minutes to get it warmed up.

My partner has a MR bag and he loves it.

#3589949 - 02/16/14 06:33 PM Re: Backpack Elk Hunt: Where to Shave Weight? [Re: Poser]
trealtree
16 Point

Loc: Middle Tennessee

Not sure what kind of socks you have, but I wear a pair of these every day. I've worn them for up to 20 days straight. It's the only pair I wore hunting in wyoming this past season. Only time I took them off was at night when I put on super thick poly socks to sleep in.

http://www.swiftwick.com/pursuit-seven-black-9627-prd1.htm

#3589962 - 02/16/14 06:44 PM Re: Backpack Elk Hunt: Where to Shave Weight? [Re: Poser]
UPSman
TnDeer Old Timer
12 Point

Loc: Powell Tn

Originally Posted By: Poser
 Originally Posted By: UPSman
I have a friend who has an Icon pack. I haven't had the chance to fiddle with it much. With my MR bag, it will carry far more than I can physically tote up and down a mountain. I have seen the Wooby bags but I'm a cold sleeper. I have a Big Agnes Storm King and I sleep just fine in it. If it wasn't so big, I'd carry my Cabelas Alaskan -40 bag, but it doesn't compress down to about the size of a mini fridge.

You own a -40 degree bag ? That's like what you sleep in at Camp 5 on Mt Everest. I have -15 Degree down bag from my Alpine days. That thing is toasty, but even at colder temps, I never felt like I needed a bag that warm. I sleep pretty warm. Put me in a mummy bag and zip it up, and I'll start roasting. Very seldom do I sleep all night with a mummy bag fully contained. Maybe the first 20-30 minutes to get it warmed up.

My partner has a MR bag and he loves it.

That cabelas bag is the cats azz. I cannot sleep in clothes hardly. Getting all twisted up and then I'm awake more than I'm sleeping. When we hunt from the truck and come back at night, that's the only real time the bag gets used. 2 falls ago in Colorado it never got below 20 at night and I think I can describe as what it feels like to be a pig in a blanket. The MR pack is well worth the money IMO.

What kind of pack is that in the picture? Looks like an Eberlestock.

#3590019 - 02/16/14 07:15 PM Re: Backpack Elk Hunt: Where to Shave Weight? [Re: UPSman]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

UPSman,

That is the Erbelstock X2 which is my Whitetail pack. I'm actually going to send it back to the company next month for some repairs. I've give it a good beating in the last couple if years and some of the tension straps are partially or fully torn. I think some of that damage was from plowing through thickets.

Page 3 of 19 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
JPG3, red arrow, ICUFLY, east_tn_gk, cruiser sailor
13210 Registered Users
Who's Online
94 registered (Diehard Hunter, Deerbuster1996, laserman, Florida Cracker 971, Nitro, Vermin93, 9 invisible) and 133 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13210 Members
42 Forums
91765 Topics
1072437 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.112 seconds in which 0.006 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.