Tndeer Logo

Page 8 of 26 « First<678910>Last »
Topic Options
#3611119 - 03/09/14 11:35 AM Re: Backpack Elk Hunt: Where to Shave Weight? [Re: ghosthunter]
AT Hiker
6 Point

Loc: Clarksville, Tennessee

Originally Posted By: ghosthunter
Always. I absolutely love fires. Helps me relax in the evenings. And it does get chilly at night. I've currently got a 21" sven saw that weighs 13.1oz but am looking at a little buck saw that they claim weighs 3.95oz.

I have a wyoming saw, perfect for cutting wood and bone. Never know when you might need to cut some limbs for whatever reason; splint, fire, meat pole, shooting sticks, blind, etc.

To each his own, but if I was camping in a elks backyard and onto some animals I would not build a fire. Smell is their #1 defense and in CO lots of hikers and hunters and when a elk smells smoke they may vacate out of habit.

But I love a fire at night too so it would be hard not to build one. I usually just hike a bit in the mornings from my camp spot so I dont worry about bumping anything.

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
-John Muir

#3611134 - 03/09/14 11:51 AM Re: Backpack Elk Hunt: Where to Shave Weight? [Re: Poser]
ghosthunter
10 Point

Loc: chattanooga

Originally Posted By: Poser
Do you have horses lined up

No, planning on humping meat out on our backs.
 Originally Posted By: Poser
Do you have horses lined up

No, planning on humping meat out on our backs.

That was my plan the first hunt until we killed and realized how difficult that was going to be. We had to use horses. No way the two of us were going to be able to get the meat off the mountain in the heat without loosing it. My game plan involves lining a horse up. You can rent horses out there.

#3611137 - 03/09/14 11:55 AM Re: Backpack Elk Hunt: Where to Shave Weight? [Re: AT Hiker]
ghosthunter
10 Point

Loc: chattanooga

Originally Posted By: AT Hiker
Always. I absolutely love fires. Helps me relax in the evenings. And it does get chilly at night. I've currently got a 21" sven saw that weighs 13.1oz but am looking at a little buck saw that they claim weighs 3.95oz.

I have a wyoming saw, perfect for cutting wood and bone. Never know when you might need to cut some limbs for whatever reason; splint, fire, meat pole, shooting sticks, blind, etc.

To each his own, but if I was camping in a elks backyard and onto some animals I would not build a fire. Smell is their #1 defense and in CO lots of hikers and hunters and when a elk smells smoke they may vacate out of habit.

But I love a fire at night too so it would be hard not to build one. I usually just hike a bit in the mornings from my camp spot so I dont worry about bumping anything.
I'll check out for that saw, thanks. As for the fires we try not to camp right in them. We make a little spike camp then walk to where want to start hunting. The fires don't seem to be hurting us. We hear elk bugle in the night.

#3613175 - 03/11/14 02:34 PM Re: Backpack Elk Hunt: Where to Shave Weight? [Re: ghosthunter]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

This doesn't address cutting bone, but Gerber makes a retractible hand saw (a bit safer than a folder, in my opinion) that weighs maybe 4 ounces and will slice through smaller limbs. I've cut 4" diameter trees down with it several times without much difficulty.

Also, the price is right!

I'm pretty sure this is the same one that I have...

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/830534/...er-handle-black

#3620845 - 03/19/14 06:42 PM Re: Backpack Elk Hunt: Where to Shave Weight? [Re: Crosshairy]
UPSman
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: Powell Tn

Poser---

Kuiu is running a sale right now. The 5200 and 7200 are marked down.

https://store.kuiu.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1852

#3620930 - 03/19/14 08:00 PM Re: Backpack Elk Hunt: Where to Shave Weight? [Re: UPSman]
turk870
6 Point

Loc: centerville

Originally Posted By: UPSman
Poser---

just saw that, they are still higher than the new ultra.i do like the pockets on the icon.the ultra is lighter.been bouncing both of these packs around my head(the price point is good)also been looking at stone glacier,and kifaru.think im going to try for a high country early season mule deer hunt in co.the kuiu with the price is in the lead,i still have an under quilt and a top quilt to buy.but since I can disguise this as backpacking nassisaties think I can get them with minimal lip.

#3620997 - 03/19/14 08:55 PM Re: Backpack Elk Hunt: Where to Shave Weight? [Re: turk870]
UPSman
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: Powell Tn

Me personally...I'd roll with the icon before the ultra. Before I spent the coin I'd take a serious look at a one of the Paradox packs. One of the company owners is out of middle Tn and they are getting very good reviews from the guys running them.

#3622122 - 03/21/14 09:18 AM Re: Backpack Elk Hunt: Where to Shave Weight? [Re: UPSman]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: UPSman
Poser---

Saw that, but still think I'm going to go with the Ultra.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3623948 - 03/23/14 11:06 AM Re: Backpack Elk Hunt: Where to Shave Weight? [Re: Poser]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Got my tarp shelter in and set it up this morning. It uses two trekking poles as the main supports.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3631711 - 03/31/14 01:09 PM Re: Backpack Elk Hunt: Where to Shave Weight? [Re: Poser]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

I meant to post this the other day...

Google "aerogel in sleeping bags"

have you ever heard of it? It's a material that we are starting to use in industrial insulation applications at the refinery, and I suspect that variations on the material will be used for all sorts of things in coming years. Coolest part - it's a great insulator, and the lightest solid material known to man.

Haven't looked into the cost, but I wonder if you could re-work your equipment and save a ton on weight.

Page 8 of 26 « First<678910>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
3 registered (bigbuck2012, Rifle06, whitt) and 60 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.007 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.