Tndeer Logo

Page 5 of 26 « First<34567>Last »
Topic Options
#3590915 - 02/17/14 02:12 PM Re: Backpack Elk Hunt: Where to Shave Weight? [Re: UPSman]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: UPSman
Maybe I missed but what unit are you hunting?

I think we are going with 74.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3590960 - 02/17/14 02:57 PM Re: Backpack Elk Hunt: Where to Shave Weight? [Re: Poser]
tickweed
10 Point

Loc: medon,Tn.

A lot of cost will depend on the cost of gasoline at the time of the hunt. $1000.00 will be cutting it close, that's only a hair over $400.00 after your either sex tag and license. Groceries, gas, food out and back, maybe a motel one night, or two. You are doing a great job planning, and getting in shape. I look forward to your opinion after you have packed your bull out. I promise, no matter how great a shape a person is in, being from the flat land hurts. You will be fine, and have the time of your life.

#3590972 - 02/17/14 03:11 PM Re: Backpack Elk Hunt: Where to Shave Weight? [Re: tickweed]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: tickweed
A lot of cost will depend on the cost of gasoline at the time of the hunt. $1000.00 will be cutting it close, that's only a hair over $400.00 after your either sex tag and license. Groceries, gas, food out and back, maybe a motel one night, or two. You are doing a great job planning, and getting in shape. I look forward to your opinion after you have packed your bull out. I promise, no matter how great a shape a person is in, being from the flat land hurts. You will be fine, and have the time of your life.

Yeah, $1,000 may be a little tight, but we'll be splitting gas, so that should be more in the $200 range. One of the landowners of a property that I hunt has a ($800,000) condo in Gunnison that we can use on the way in and out of the mountains to get a night's sleep, shower, acclimate for a day, secure our laptops etc. So, conceivably, I should be able to get it done on that budget.

#3591241 - 02/17/14 06:30 PM Re: Backpack Elk Hunt: Where to Shave Weight? [Re: Poser]
UPSman
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: Powell Tn

Let me check my maps. We have hunted 71 and 711 but nosed around in 74 a little I believe. You taking 40W all the way to Gallup NM? The drive from Gallup to Cortez is mind numbing. There is a reason they gave it to the Indians....Its like the face of the moon, there isn't a dang thing there.

#3591259 - 02/17/14 06:38 PM Re: Backpack Elk Hunt: Where to Shave Weight? [Re: UPSman]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

I'll try to find out about the cost of pack-out mule service. I don't have his number handy, so it may take a while.

As far as your sleeping bag goes...
Can you tell if the fill material is what is especially heavy? I've actually heard of people modifying their sleeping bag by either cutting out fill material in certain spots (e.g. If you sleep on a pad, you might feel ok about pulling fill out of the bottom section), or replacing it with lighter, more efficient filler. Might be something to look into if you feel like the shell material is reasonably light.

Also, consider filling a weather balloon with helium and attaching to your pack. That's worth a pound or two there... \:\)

#3591310 - 02/17/14 07:03 PM Re: Backpack Elk Hunt: Where to Shave Weight? [Re: Crosshairy]
UPSman
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: Powell Tn

IF you are hunting NF, you have to use a person that is licensed to run pack animals (in the area you are hunting) if you use them to pack an elk out for you. Outfitters get testy over this. We used Blue Mesa Ranch to rent horses one year and he could not personally bring his animals onto NF land where we were hunting because of Tenderfoot outfitters having the licensing rights (for lack of a better term) in that area.

#3591406 - 02/17/14 08:13 PM Re: Backpack Elk Hunt: Where to Shave Weight? [Re: Crosshairy]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Crosshairy
I'll try to find out about the cost of pack-out mule service. I don't have his number handy, so it may take a while.

As far as your sleeping bag goes...
Can you tell if the fill material is what is especially heavy? I've actually heard of people modifying their sleeping bag by either cutting out fill material in certain spots (e.g. If you sleep on a pad, you might feel ok about pulling fill out of the bottom section), or replacing it with lighter, more efficient filler. Might be something to look into if you feel like the shell material is reasonably light.

Also, consider filling a weather balloon with helium and attaching to your pack. That's worth a pound or two there... \:\)

The most appropriate bag I have for this trip (I have 3), is a TNF "Ultralight" long, down bag from 1999. Even though it's not treated, I'm guessing the surface material is the weight on this bag. The same model of bag is now lighter, though they probably use lower quality down then the they did in the 90s. Not sure if I would cut into it at this point. Now, my synergic bag that I've had since the early 90s, I suppose I could weigh it and potentially mess with its fill if it indeed has potential -good idea, actually.

#3591872 - 02/18/14 08:54 AM Re: Backpack Elk Hunt: Where to Shave Weight? [Re: DaveB]
tellico4x4
6 Point

Loc: Killen, AL

Originally Posted By: DaveB
In 1988, pack mule service was $300.00 IF this or that or the other conditions were met. Out of reach for me at the time.

Have used various outfitters in CO over the past 25 years and this cost hasn't changed much at all. I just took a look at an Outfitters website that I have used in Meeker area, and they still only charge $250.00. Of course, you have to quarter the elk and get it down to a trail that is accessable by horse. If you have ever spent days packing an elk out on your back a piece at a time, the cost of hiring it done is money you won't regret spending.

I ran into a guy one time that was back packing an elk out who was a hurting puppy. Due to the almost vertical terrain he was in, and having about 100 lbs in pack, he had ripped two toenails off in his boots coming down the hill to trail. He still had about 4 miles to go to the trailhead.

Find an outfitter that does drop camps in your area, and I'm sure he'll be glad to pack an elk at a reasonable cost. Most of those guys are on the trail(s) daily packing anyway and are happy to get a few extra bucks for very little additional work. Adding an empty horse to a pack string is no big deal to them.

Secret is to get a method of communication set up before heading into the boonies. I had one of those SPOT gadgets one time that I used on a solo trip. You could pre-program a few messages into it. I set one up that went to my wife that had my packers phone number in it. That did two things in that it let her know that I was still alive, and when she called the packer, he already knew where to meet me.

Edited by tellico4x4 (02/18/14 09:03 AM)

#3592393 - 02/18/14 04:00 PM Re: Backpack Elk Hunt: Where to Shave Weight? [Re: tellico4x4]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: tellico4x4
 Originally Posted By: DaveB
In 1988, pack mule service was $300.00 IF this or that or the other conditions were met. Out of reach for me at the time.

Have used various outfitters in CO over the past 25 years and this cost hasn't changed much at all. I just took a look at an Outfitters website that I have used in Meeker area, and they still only charge $250.00. Of course, you have to quarter the elk and get it down to a trail that is accessable by horse. If you have ever spent days packing an elk out on your back a piece at a time, the cost of hiring it done is money you won't regret spending.

I ran into a guy one time that was back packing an elk out who was a hurting puppy. Due to the almost vertical terrain he was in, and having about 100 lbs in pack, he had ripped two toenails off in his boots coming down the hill to trail. He still had about 4 miles to go to the trailhead.

Find an outfitter that does drop camps in your area, and I'm sure he'll be glad to pack an elk at a reasonable cost. Most of those guys are on the trail(s) daily packing anyway and are happy to get a few extra bucks for very little additional work. Adding an empty horse to a pack string is no big deal to them.

Secret is to get a method of communication set up before heading into the boonies. I had one of those SPOT gadgets one time that I used on a solo trip. You could pre-program a few messages into it. I set one up that went to my wife that had my packers phone number in it. That did two things in that it let her know that I was still alive, and when she called the packer, he already knew where to meet me.

Yeah, I've heard that the Spot devices are a popular choice. Check this thing out: https://www.meetearl.com/ -super cool and cheaper than most high end GPS units by Garmin or Magallan.

#3592955 - 02/18/14 10:39 PM Re: Backpack Elk Hunt: Where to Shave Weight? [Re: Poser]
AT Hiker
6 Point

Loc: Clarksville, Tennessee

That is neat, I wouldnt mind checking in to this a little bit more. Wonder if the some of the GPS chips/downloads are compatible?

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
-John Muir

Page 5 of 26 « First<34567>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TnDear, buckslayer85, crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys
13384 Registered Users
Who's Online
9 registered (zippy, bbuck14, Stk_Um_N_The_Vitals, MoonBuzzard, reloadxx, ruger7mag, 2 invisible) and 84 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13384 Members
42 Forums
95975 Topics
1123848 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.053 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.