Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 18 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#3587817 - 02/14/14 07:02 PM Backpack Elk Hunt: Where to Shave Weight?
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Alright, first gear weigh in for a 7-8 day, backpack style (no spike camp) CO Elk hunt. Actual gear came in at 44.23 (without bow), 48.63 with bow, but there are still have a couple of unknown variables.

*Food: I estimated 10 lbs for 7-8 days including coffee. That's a bit heavy, as 1 lbs per day is the usual goal, but I know I'll need it. I just don't perform well without sufficient calories.

Some of these things, I'm looking to cut corners. In others, I need to cut corners, but I can't afford the upgrade. For example, my sleeping bag comes in at 3.2 lbs. It was "Ultralight" by the standards of 1999, but the equivalent bags today are coming in at a little over a pound if you're willing to shell out $400+ (that' upgrade won't happen this year). Same thing on the down jacket, mine (that I also bought in 1999) came in at 20 oz. Newest models are running 9 oz. Those to upgrades alone would save me almost 3 pounds, but I can't afford it.

What can I trim and what looks heavy? Since we'll be hunting with full packs and covering extremely difficult terrain, I need to trim down to 40 lbs. I can probably compromise on a pound of food, possibly 1.5 lbs, but I know I am going to be more than 7 lbs. Expected Temp range is 30-80 degrees

Empty Pack: 126.4
Sleeping Bag: 51.2
Tarp Shelter: 11
Trekking Poles: 18.8
Water Filter: 12.5
XLite Sleeping Pad: 12.5
Soft shell Jacket 24
Down Jacket: 20.5
Food: 160oz
Firstaid kit: 10
Water: 35.2 (2 liters)
Bladder: 6 oz
Rain gear (top & bottom): 34.4
Merino Base layer pants: 9.1
Merino Base Layer shirt: 8
Outerwear Pants: 18.5
Gloves: 2.6
Merino Neck gaiter: .75
Merino hat: .75
Hat: .75
Optics + Harness: 35.2
GPS w batteries: 5.4
headlamp w/ batteries: 3.2
Spare batteries: 6
dry sacks: 3
Tent stakes: 2.1
Stove: 3
Pot/cup/spork: 12
Fuel: 8
*Kill Kit: 30 (game bags, knife, 550 cord)
socks 7
Boots: 30
-----
707.75 oz/ 44.23 lbs

Bow: 68.8

Total: 776.55/ 48.53 lbs

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3587886 - 02/14/14 07:44 PM Re: Backpack Elk Hunt: Where to Shave Weight? [Re: Poser]
Buzzard Breath
8 Point

Loc: East

I'd ditch the extra base layers, neck gaiter, extra boots, outer pants, and down jacket (unless you sleep in it).

I'd also replace the rain gear with a poncho (http://www.golite.com/Poncho-Tarp-P885.aspx) 7 ounces compared to 34.4. All you do with rain gear is put it on to wait out a storm, then take it right back off. This is assuming you're wearing leg gaiters, which are a necessity.

Make sure you pack enough variety for food. Otherwise, you'll just be starving yourself while you pack around a bunch of carp you can no longer stand to eat. I've returned with food on every single one of my trips.

#3587898 - 02/14/14 07:53 PM Re: Backpack Elk Hunt: Where to Shave Weight? [Re: Poser]
Buzzard Breath
8 Point

Your pack weighs almost 8 pounds. Next to the sleeping bag this is probably the most expensive thing. You should be able to cut 2.5 pounds here with an upgrade.

http://www.rei.com/product/844652/rei-xt-85-pack#specsTab

#3587906 - 02/14/14 07:58 PM Re: Backpack Elk Hunt: Where to Shave Weight? [Re: Poser]
Buzzard Breath
8 Point

Add a pair of Crocs for camp shoes. You'll thank me later.
#3587908 - 02/14/14 07:59 PM Re: Backpack Elk Hunt: Where to Shave Weight? [Re: Buzzard Breath]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Buzzard Breath
I'd ditch the extra base layers, neck gaiter, extra boots, outer pants, and down jacket (unless you sleep in it).

I'd also replace the rain gear with a poncho (http://www.golite.com/Poncho-Tarp-P885.aspx) 7 ounces compared to 34.4. All you do with rain gear is put it on to wait out a storm, then take it right back off. This is assuming you're wearing leg gaiters, which are a necessity.

Make sure you pack enough variety for food. Otherwise, you'll just be starving yourself while you pack around a bunch of carp you can no longer stand to eat. I've returned with food on every single one of my trips.

None of the clothes, assesories or boots are "extra." I'm wearing those, and am counting the total weight I am carrying (and wearing). My resistance to ditching the rain gear is in the case we get socked in with rain for several days or the entire trip. I have considered the poncho though -might could make that decision depending on the forecast. Another Problem with a poncho is it's difficult to bowhunt in and doesn't breathe very well.

#3587959 - 02/14/14 08:40 PM Re: Backpack Elk Hunt: Where to Shave Weight? [Re: Poser]
Buzzard Breath
8 Point

Add leg gaiters, Tylenol Pm, earplugs, extra lighter (first aid kit), TP, baby wipes (these can be dried and rejuvenated with a couple drops of water), and 2 pairs of merino wool boxers (burn 1 on day 4).

Tylenol PM and earplugs are to keep the bears away. The Colorado mountains will be completely silent in September, not even bugs will be making noise. You will hear leaves drop. This will solve that problem for you. I wear earplugs anytime I'm backpacking in black bear country anymore. Besides, you've already survived a shark attack, what's the chance of you being attacked by a bear?

#3587979 - 02/14/14 08:58 PM Re: Backpack Elk Hunt: Where to Shave Weight? [Re: Buzzard Breath]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Buzzard Breath
Add leg gaiters, Tylenol Pm, earplugs, extra lighter (first aid kit), TP, baby wipes (these can be dried and rejuvenated with a couple drops of water), and 2 pairs of merino wool boxers (burn 1 on day 4).

Tylenol PM and earplugs are to keep the bears away. The Colorado mountains will be completely silent in September, not even bugs will be making noise. You will hear leaves drop. This will solve that problem for you. I wear earplugs anytime I'm backpacking in black bear country anymore. Besides, you've already survived a shark attack, what's the chance of you being attacked by a bear?

Yeah, looks like I forgot to add the weight of TP, wipes (plan to dehydrate most of them), and merino boxers. I was just planning on one pair. Is that a mistake?
Tylonel PM -good idea. I'll probably bring multivitamins, too. I do have some gaiters, I'll have to check their condition, though.

As I'm inching closer to 50 lbs, I've got to start cutting. We were talking about sharing a stove and pot which would cut 5-10 oz, but we had also discussed splitting up some to cover more ground.

Pack: I would like to upgrade to a Stone Glacier pack, but I doubt it's in the cards this year. Will that REI pack carry exceptionally heavy loads (100 lbs +) for meat hauling? That's my concern with a "budget" pack. They are fine on 60 pound loads, but come up short when hauling heavy loads.

#3588083 - 02/14/14 10:51 PM Re: Backpack Elk Hunt: Where to Shave Weight? [Re: Poser]
AT Hiker
6 Point

Loc: Clarksville, Tennessee

I would start training pack goats right now, they can carry about 40lbs each and if you get hungry you of all people will know how to cook one.

I say take all that gear on a 2 day hike here in TN (go to the Smokies). You will then see what non hunting essiantials you will need.

Socks are a good investment too, merino wool, keep a clean pair to sleep in.

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
-John Muir

#3588096 - 02/14/14 11:15 PM Re: Backpack Elk Hunt: Where to Shave Weight? [Re: AT Hiker]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: AT Hiker
I would start training pack goats right now, they can carry about 40lbs each and if you get hungry you of all people will know how to cook one.

I say take all that gear on a 2 day hike here in TN (go to the Smokies). You will then see what non hunting essiantials you will need.

Socks are a good investment too, merino wool, keep a clean pair to sleep in.

Planning on doing a 2-3 day backpacking trip in the Ozarks to test a couple of things, mainly the tarp system. I also want to see what I can do with some backcountry food. I have an idea I want to experiment with, just need to test it out. If it works, it could potentially give me the calories I need at minimal weight.

#3588334 - 02/15/14 09:01 AM Re: Backpack Elk Hunt: Where to Shave Weight? [Re: Poser]
AT Hiker
6 Point

Loc: Clarksville, Tennessee

When I hiked from GA to the Smokies a couple years ago I ate a fraction of the food I brought but used just about everything else. Like Buzz said, you will likely return with food and typically it is the heaviest thing you pack.

I wish you luck with the food experiment, if you can shave weight there and still keep your nutrition and hunger pains at ease then you will do good.

X2 on crocs, super lite weight and your feet will love you. Plus they are good for water crossings. I strap mine on the outside of my pack.

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
-John Muir

Page 1 of 18 12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TboneD, sbhockey, ZachA, DocT, Raegan
13202 Registered Users
Who's Online
35 registered (ZachMarkus, Mr.Bro, jameseboy, dogman, darn2ten, stringtalker, 3 invisible) and 74 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13202 Members
42 Forums
91470 Topics
1069312 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.043 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.