Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3516003 - 12/25/13 06:46 PM Logging Roads Getting Planted Questions Tho!
DBLAARCHERY
Woodpile Boys Neighbor
14 Point

Loc: Cannon County Outback

I have one food plot established that we plant every year...Its in the bottom of our holler...Comes up great...We had a section of the property logged this year and opened up the back of our property with new logging roads...I do not want to do too much in this area because they clear cut it and it will be great for bedding areas next year...I do however want to plant the roads...I haven't decided yet what to put on them...I have 150 lbs of wheat and will probably buy some clover...I have tons of turkey in the area and several resident deer that hang out...We have never hunted this property hard but its time we start...Its roughly 100 acres surrounded by 300+ acres with little to no hunting...I see deer all the time but have too many places to hunt...Its time to pump this place up and make this a deer heaven...

Here is the question...I know you can frost seed plots...My plan as of now is to disc the roads in Feb. and then seed...What is your thoughts?

Edited by DBLAARCHERY (12/25/13 06:49 PM)

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day...Teach him how to fish and he will sit on a boat and drink beer all day!

#3518474 - 12/27/13 03:28 PM Re: Logging Roads Getting Planted Questions Tho! [Re: DBLAARCHERY]
ROUGH COUNTRY HUNTER
16 Point

Loc: FRANKLIN COUNTY

I tell you what I would do in there as well.I would plant some apple,pear,persimmon,and sawtooths oaks in there.that sunlight will make them go to town
#3521611 - 12/29/13 09:37 PM Re: Logging Roads Getting Planted Questions Tho! [Re: ROUGH COUNTRY HUNTER]
DntBrnDPig
8 Point

Loc: Cleveland, TN

Heck yeah. But lots of options. Clover could be good.

#3583977 - 02/11/14 06:16 PM Re: Logging Roads Getting Planted Questions Tho! [Re: DBLAARCHERY]
danny1975
8 Point

Loc: milledgeville,tn

Originally Posted By: DBLAARCHERY
I have one food plot established that we plant every year...Its in the bottom of our holler...Comes up great...We had a section of the property logged this year and opened up the back of our property with new logging roads...I do not want to do too much in this area because they clear cut it and it will be great for bedding areas next year...I do however want to plant the roads...I haven't decided yet what to put on them...I have 150 lbs of wheat and will probably buy some clover...I have tons of turkey in the area and several resident deer that hang out...We have never hunted this property hard but its time we start...Its roughly 100 acres surrounded by 300+ acres with little to no hunting...I see deer all the time but have too many places to hunt...Its time to pump this place up and make this a deer heaven...

Here is the question...I know you can frost seed plots...My plan as of now is to disc the roads in Feb. and then seed...What is your thoughts?

I'm in the same boat as you , but I'm leasing 1500 acres ,a lot of hardwoods and clear cuts but we go a section nobody ever used. been thinking about planting the road.
and in the middle of a cutover ,I got a .5 acre of flat spot been thinking about planting a plot about 150 yards from the shooting house.

#3583988 - 02/11/14 06:24 PM Re: Logging Roads Getting Planted Questions Tho! [Re: danny1975]
smstone22
16 Point

Loc: Allardt, TN

I would wait til Fall for the wheat. Frost seeding would be ok for the clover providing soil conditions are right. I would prefer to establish clover in the Fall though as well and just frost seed to thicken up thin areas but thats just me. If the roads are getting enough light, I would simply plant buckwheat this Spring after the threat of frost and double crop it until establishing clover/wheat in the Fall.

#3584212 - 02/11/14 08:24 PM Re: Logging Roads Getting Planted Questions Tho! [Re: smstone22]
Boll Weevil
8 Point

Loc: Hardeman

One thing to really consider when planting roads is how they're oriented: north/south or east/west or some other variant. As mentioned above the hours of sunlight per day + rain collection and time of day when they get that direct sun has huge impact.

I've (honestly...no reason to tell a stretcher) got roads through planted pines where plantings are super thick and 10" tall in the heat of June. Go around a bend just a little ways and it's barely 2" tall. Round the next bend and it jumps right back up. You wouldn't think it makes that much difference but it does.

Seed/lime/fertilizer in those unproductive areas will just result in disappointing outcomes and wasted money. Let those crappy sections go to native grass and just mow it each summer. Those good plot growing spots though...look out!

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Mik475, AaronB, Bad Wolf, jw3783, Jesse91
13279 Registered Users
Who's Online
30 registered (Hatchee, Snake, Claims Rep., Vermin93, Lincoln Co Archer, Dale3, 6 invisible) and 76 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13279 Members
42 Forums
93197 Topics
1089385 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.11 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.