Tndeer Logo

Page 9 of 9 « First<56789
Topic Options
#3581047 - 02/09/14 10:18 AM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: KENBOB10]
BMan
16 Point

Loc: Middle TN

Originally Posted By: KENBOB10
 Originally Posted By: BamaProud
I'll shoot the first bigfoot, or big cat I see. You can't get in trouble for shooting something that you think is putting your life or well-being in danger. ...I suppose it could get dicey if it turned out be some idiot in a costume though.

Lol, you think?

If some idiot is out in the woods in a bigfoot costume, he pretty much needs to be culled from the herd anyway.

#3581048 - 02/09/14 10:19 AM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: BMan]
KENBOB10
16 Point

Loc: Benton tn. Polk Co.

Originally Posted By: BMan
 Originally Posted By: KENBOB10
 Originally Posted By: BamaProud
I'll shoot the first bigfoot, or big cat I see. You can't get in trouble for shooting something that you think is putting your life or well-being in danger. ...I suppose it could get dicey if it turned out be some idiot in a costume though.

Lol, you think?

If some idiot is out in the woods in a bigfoot costume, he pretty much needs to be culled from the herd anyway.

\:D

#3581108 - 02/09/14 11:13 AM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: KENBOB10]
diamond hunter
6 Point

Loc: Goodlettsville Tennessee USA

Im shooting the next black panther I see on my place.

#3581300 - 02/09/14 02:55 PM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: diamond hunter]
Gonefishing2
Button

Loc: TN

Let it walk
#3581352 - 02/09/14 03:35 PM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: Gonefishing2]
BigGameGuy Moderator
TWRA Biologist
12 Point

Loc: Nashville

I have yet to hear one good reason why to kill it and a lot of disregard for wildlife laws. I also can't believe how many hunters on here are afraid to walk in the woods. I am much more afraid of walking into a person in the woods than any wild animal. I for one, would love to see the return of cougars to Tennessee. Talk about a return of a healthy ecosystem.

And yes we want proof of a cougar (not a carcass). Unfortunately we have little evidence of their existence in our state.

#3581356 - 02/09/14 03:39 PM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: BigGameGuy]
in the dog house!
14 Point

Loc: west tn

Originally Posted By: BigGameGuy
I have yet to hear one good reason why to kill it. I also can't believe how many hunters on here are afraid to walk in the woods. I am much more afraid of walking into a person in the woods than any wild animal. I for one, would love to see the return of cougars to Tennessee. Talk about a return of a healthy ecosystem.

And yes we want proof of a cougar (not a carcass). Unfortunately we have little evidence of their existence in our state.

Unfortunately the only "proof" that would stand up to anyone would in fact have to be a carcass or either to trap one. Photos would never be taken seriously with all the tool available to edit pics.

Μολων λαβε

#3581357 - 02/09/14 03:40 PM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: BigGameGuy]
stik
"Popcorn"
18 Point

Loc: lenoir city,tn

Originally Posted By: BigGameGuy

other than a carcass, what could possibly be irrefutable evidence?

nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught

#3581400 - 02/09/14 04:34 PM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: stik]
BigGameGuy Moderator
TWRA Biologist
12 Point

Loc: Nashville

A clear picture of a cougar would work perfect. Almost all of the documented cases of cougars in the southern boot of Missouri are trail camera pictures. They show a clear picture of the cat and the location can be substantiated by going back to where the picture was taken. I personally cannot wait until we get one of those Tennessee. Unfortunately, no one has given us one yet.

#3581409 - 02/09/14 04:45 PM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: BigGameGuy]
Benelli 4 Life
4 Point

Loc: Bledsoe Co. TN

I'd shoot one. Bigfoot too

#3581488 - 02/09/14 05:36 PM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: Benelli 4 Life]
scn Moderator
14 Point

Loc: Brentwood, TN US

content Online
Just to add a little reality into this discussion, here is the most likely way it will go down if you shoot a cougar:

If the word gets out, it will be investigated since it is a closed season and endangered species issue. If it is determined that it is a wild cougar and not an escaped/released cougar, then absent of very compelling evidence that it was a self-defense issue, it will be given to a United States Attorney for presecution in federal court. Like Anthony said, absent of claw marks or a frontal shot showing a very close range confrontation, the "I was scared of it" excuse will not get you out of prosecution.

The decision to go forward with prosecution has already been made at the highest levels of the USFWS due to the endangered florida cougar. Their historical range drifts up into TN.

Once you get to federal court, you are looking at attorney fees that I have been told will start in the $5-10,000 range. If the trial is very time consuming, the fees will move upward from there.

If you are found guilty in federal court, there are very substantial fines and jail time for violation of the ESA. Your trip to court will be nothing like a slap on the wrist in your county court.

I have very little doubt that we have some cougars that are out there or range through TN occassionally. I have friends that have seen one in two separate areas of the state over the years. Whether or not they were a released pet or a wild one ranging through could not be determined. From the locations of the sightings, my bet would be released pets, but who knows. My gut feeling is we do not have any breeding populations in the state.

Like BGG said, some clear pictures, or preserved tracks or scat is a MUCH better alternative in proving their presence than gunning one down. The gunning scenario very likely could prove to be a VERY expensive proposition.

Page 9 of 9 « First<56789

Moderator:  Cuttin Caller, Tennessee Todd, RUGER, Unicam, BigGameGuy, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck, scn 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
JPG3, red arrow, ICUFLY, east_tn_gk, cruiser sailor
13210 Registered Users
Who's Online
25 registered (7mmMag, biglefty20, BuckNrut, TnTurk, BluegrassDan, buckslayerr, 3 invisible) and 58 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13210 Members
42 Forums
91626 Topics
1070935 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.093 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.