Tndeer Logo

Page all of 9 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#3577374 - 02/06/14 09:00 AM Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it?
TheRealSpurhunter
8 Point

Loc: Cleveland & Bedford CO

http://www.tndeer.com/tndeertalk/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3573468&page=0&fpart=1

This crazy thread really got me thinking about what I would do if I was hunting and saw one, for real.

What would you do?

#3577382 - 02/06/14 09:04 AM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: TheRealSpurhunter]
Snowwolfe
4 Point

Loc: Crossville

Are there any state laws saying you could shoot it?
#3577390 - 02/06/14 09:06 AM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: Snowwolfe]
ratsnakeboogy
10 Point

Loc: Andersonville, TN

Originally Posted By: Snowwolfe

No season, not legal.

#3577455 - 02/06/14 09:48 AM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: ratsnakeboogy]
TheRealSpurhunter
8 Point

No season on Bigfoot, but I think thats legal right?

#3577463 - 02/06/14 09:50 AM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: TheRealSpurhunter]
Twinshooter
10 Point

Loc: Collierville, TN. USA

content Online
No, unless I see myself, or others in danger. Taught a long time ago that I don't kill unless I am going to eat it.

#3577466 - 02/06/14 09:52 AM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: TheRealSpurhunter]
maddhatter82
4 Point

Loc: knoxvegas

I would cross that bridge when I got there. Probably shoot it in "self defense" lol jk
#3577473 - 02/06/14 09:58 AM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: Twinshooter]
Crow Terminator
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: McMinn County

I probably would just so people would believe me. I've been on the opposite side of that debate for a while now, and if I came back claiming to have seen one without any proof, after all the stuff I've said about them not being here...well I better have proof of some kind or people would throw me on the chopping block and have a time. \:\)

I don't buy the whole "don't kill it unless you eat it" thing. I've killed a bunch of mice over the yrs in traps I've set in the house but I'll be doggone if I'm going to eat one of those things and I bet nobody here would eat one either. I ain't planning on living with 'em and I sure ain't eating one after I kill it. Same goes for skunks, possums, cats that get in my garbage or on my truck, etc.

#3577478 - 02/06/14 10:04 AM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: Crow Terminator]
ferg
Cancer Free
16 Point

Loc: At the TNDeer shirt factory %^...

In self defense only -

Otherwise I'd be trying to take pictures -

USCG(Ret)
Semper Par !

#3577479 - 02/06/14 10:04 AM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: Crow Terminator]
pastorbmp
12 Point

Loc: Wartburg,TN

I remember reading a newspaper article a year or so ago about a guy (I believe in Virginia) who saw an African Lion while deer hunting. The authorities believed him and said it must have escaped from some menagerie.

1Ti 1:15: ...Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.

#3577483 - 02/06/14 10:07 AM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: TheRealSpurhunter]
ratsnakeboogy
10 Point

Loc: Andersonville, TN

Originally Posted By: TheRealSpurhunter
No season on Bigfoot, but I think thats legal right?

Ask Gator, his buddy Tebow hunts 'me all the time I hear. May have to tackle and hogtie the bigfeets?

#3577488 - 02/06/14 10:10 AM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: Crow Terminator]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Crow Terminator
I probably would just so people would believe me. I've been on the opposite side of that debate for a while now, and if I came back claiming to have seen one without any proof, after all the stuff I've said about them not being here...well I better have proof of some kind or people would throw me on the chopping block and have a time. \:\)

I don't buy the whole "don't kill it unless you eat it" thing. I've killed a bunch of mice over the yrs in traps I've set in the house but I'll be doggone if I'm going to eat one of those things and I bet nobody here would eat one either. I ain't planning on living with 'em and I sure ain't eating one after I kill it. Same goes for skunks, possums, cats that get in my garbage or on my truck, etc.

Mountain Lion is supposed to be fantastic meat.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3577504 - 02/06/14 10:21 AM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: Poser]
KENBOB10
16 Point

Loc: Benton tn. Polk Co.

I actually asked this question to TWRA. You would be cited for killing the lion wherever they came from. If you killed it in Tennessee.

#3577517 - 02/06/14 10:34 AM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: Crow Terminator]
1 good shot
10 Point

Loc: memphis

content Online

i've never been one to care whether people people believe or not
and that in my opinion not a good reason to kill anything

#3577524 - 02/06/14 10:38 AM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: 1 good shot]
TheRealSpurhunter
8 Point

I know there was a guy in KY last lear that killed a Wolf, as far as I know he didnt get in trouble since it was not native.

Edited by TheRealSpurhunter (02/06/14 10:41 AM)

#3577527 - 02/06/14 10:40 AM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: 1 good shot]
TheRealSpurhunter
8 Point

http://earthfirstjournal.org/newswire/20...lled-by-hunter/

#3577534 - 02/06/14 10:48 AM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: TheRealSpurhunter]
Twinshooter
10 Point

Loc: Collierville, TN. USA

content Online
Crow, you are the one not making sense, who would shoot a mouse, they are rodents that can lead to disease.
Sheese, my reference goes back to when my cousin was shooting song birds with a bb gun, and that is the first time I heard that we shouldn't kill for fun, or show.

#3577539 - 02/06/14 10:50 AM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: Twinshooter]
1 good shot
10 Point

Loc: memphis

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Twinshooter
Crow, you are the one not making sense, who would shoot a mouse, they are rodents that can lead to disease.
Sheese, my reference goes back to when my cousin was shooting song birds with a bb gun, and that is the first time I heard that we shouldn't kill for fun, or show.
\:D
i believe ruger did shoot a mouse a while back

#3577546 - 02/06/14 10:57 AM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: 1 good shot]
Jcalder
8 Point

Loc: Tennesse

content Online
I would. I got one a camera last year and was basically told I was a liar. I learned a lot from that. Since we don't have a population in the state and they aren't native I don't what's wrong with killing one.
#3577547 - 02/06/14 10:58 AM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: 1 good shot]
Eric Kilby
10 Point

Loc: Tellico Plains

confused Online
I would just to prove a point... would be a whole lot less embarrassing to explain that to the court instead of a rabbit..

#3577552 - 02/06/14 11:00 AM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: 1 good shot]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

Loc: Franklin County

I've shot thousands and thousands of blackbirds and starlings, and a number of coyotes, possums, a few coons and one bobcat none of which I ate. If I ever see a mountain lion while hunting in TN, I'll shoot it too and won't eat it.
#3577555 - 02/06/14 11:01 AM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: Poser]
TheRealSpurhunter
8 Point

Originally Posted By: Poser

I have heard the same. They also have really nice coats on them, makes for a cool mount, pelt, etc!

#3577556 - 02/06/14 11:01 AM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: Eric Kilby]
moondawg
16 Point

Loc: Millington, TN

Sure. How else are we supposed to show that they really do exist in TN? \:D

#3577580 - 02/06/14 11:23 AM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: ratsnakeboogy]
LA man
18 Point

Loc: spencer, tn/houma, la.

I will shoot all big cats i see, if i get the chance

#3577583 - 02/06/14 11:27 AM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: Jcalder]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

Originally Posted By: Jcalder
I would. I got one a camera last year and was basically told I was a liar. I learned a lot from that. Since we don't have a population in the state and they aren't native I don't what's wrong with killing one.
What???? On camera???? Where????

You wont know,if you dont go!

#3577596 - 02/06/14 11:38 AM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: Football Hunter]
Jcalder
8 Point

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Football Hunter

Overton/Pickett county

#3577599 - 02/06/14 11:43 AM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: Football Hunter]
caretaker
TnDeer Old Timer
10 Point

Loc: Rufe Miller Cemetary

Nope. Let em walk just like always. Have let several big cats walk along with, sasquatch,jackalopes,squirrelalopes, and other critters I have encountered.

Stupid is as stupid does

#3577601 - 02/06/14 11:43 AM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: Jcalder]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

Originally Posted By: Football Hunter

Overton/Pickett county
Seems like if you have a pic of a "big cat" you go show it to TWRA,should be able to take em to the spot and match up the background in the pic?I don't doubt you,could have come from anywhere,pet,circus,who knows.

You wont know,if you dont go!

#3577617 - 02/06/14 11:49 AM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: TheRealSpurhunter]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

This crazy thread really got me thinking about what I would do if I was hunting and saw one, for real.

What would you do?

1) Watch it in amazement (attempt to get a picture of it).
2) Call the TWRA and report what I had seen.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3577640 - 02/06/14 12:04 PM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: BSK]
smstone22
16 Point

Loc: Allardt, TN

I would shoot it.

#3577642 - 02/06/14 12:05 PM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: ratsnakeboogy]
Frank G
8 Point

Loc: Hardin Co, TN Pickwick Lake

Originally Posted By: ratsnakeboogy
 Originally Posted By: Snowwolfe

No season, not legal.

That's what I believe as well, no season not legal.
I would however call a GW and show him what someone must have poached. I wouldn't have a weapon along when he showed up, don't want him to think I did it ;\)

#3577646 - 02/06/14 12:08 PM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: ratsnakeboogy]
Dan24
8 Point

Loc: Spring Hill, TN. Williamson C...

nope. majestic.

#3577676 - 02/06/14 12:26 PM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: Dan24]
deerhunter10
10 Point

Loc: maury county tn

since the only camera I carry w0uld be a phone and it would have to be pretty close for me even to think of taking a picture I would most likely shoot it if I could and I knew 100 percent. but I would say if I actually saw one I would be in such shock I wouldn't be able to do much. except after it was all over call twra.

#3577692 - 02/06/14 12:39 PM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: TheRealSpurhunter]
TLRanger
8 Point

Loc: Nashville

Nope.....Except in self defense.

#3577695 - 02/06/14 12:42 PM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: Jcalder]
pressfit
10 Point

Loc: Giles Co. Tn

would you please post the picture.. i'd like to see it.. thanks!

#3577781 - 02/06/14 01:43 PM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: Jcalder]
A.Hall
Formerly "Spoon"
Non-Typical

Loc: Bartlett, TN

If I remember correctly, either BGG or SCN said you could face federal charges for killing an Mt Loin in TN. It would fall under a protected animal since there aren't any in TN.

#3577787 - 02/06/14 01:54 PM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: deerhunter10]
Jcalder
8 Point

content Online
 Originally Posted By: deerhunter10
since the only camera I carry w0uld be a phone and it would have to be pretty close for me even to think of taking a picture I would most likely shoot it if I could and I knew 100 percent. but I would say if I actually saw one I would be in such shock I wouldn't be able to do much. except after it was all over call twra.

Calling twra woul be useless. Killing one would get their attention

#3577789 - 02/06/14 01:56 PM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: Jcalder]
WestTn Huntin'man
16 Point

Loc: Benton Co.

I might poop but I wouldn't shoot.
Proverbs 3:27 Whenever you possibly can, do good to those who need it

#3577803 - 02/06/14 02:09 PM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: WestTn Huntin'man]
woodsman87
8 Point

Loc: south TN

I would shoot it and for the sole purpose to protect me and my family or whoever else may be out in the woods. I have no experience with mountain lions and do not know how many attacks there actually are out west where they are.

I enjoy being able to hunt in an area where I know I am the boss of the woods and nothing else can eat me. Imagine walking to and from your stand in the dark knowing that there are mountain lions around and one could pounce you any second.

#3577819 - 02/06/14 02:27 PM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: Twinshooter]
Barnes Ridge Rambler
6 Point

Originally Posted By: Twinshooter
No, unless I see myself, or others in danger. Taught a long time ago that I don't kill unless I am going to eat it.

Cats kill for fun. They don't always eat what they kill. That includes songbirds lol. I believe I could justify killing a big cat and not eating it knowing that it does the same thing.

#3577827 - 02/06/14 02:36 PM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: Hunter 257W]
Rockhound
10 Point

Loc: Lawrence Co. TN

May not be a large population but honestly what would stop one from coming through TN????
Isaiah 40:31.... Those who wait upon The Lord .....shall renew there strength ......

#3577836 - 02/06/14 02:45 PM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: Rockhound]
jb3
10 Point

Loc: Burns, TN

If I am on the ground, boom, dead cat. I don't have the reflexes and if the cat came running at me, I'd probably miss. If I was in a tree stand, I'd hope he would keep walking.

If you did let a big cat walk and when you got home you saw on the news about a person being attacked and killed by a big cat............

#3577905 - 02/06/14 03:34 PM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: woodsman87]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: woodsman87
Imagine walking to and from your stand in the dark knowing that there are mountain lions around and one could pounce you any second.

You do realize hunters out West do this every day don't you? And attacks on hunters are virtually unheard of. Now big cats in suburbs or the edges of suburbs, where they are not hunted--those are a slightly different story. A few people have been attacked, usually joggers. Any time a large predator is not hunted, there is a risk of that animal losing its fear of Man, or even potentially looking at Man as a food source.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3577906 - 02/06/14 03:36 PM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: Barnes Ridge Rambler]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: climb_higher

Cats kill for fun. They don't always eat what they kill.

Housecats, yes. Wild cats, highly unlikely. Survival means looking for food every day. I can't imagine a wild big cat so full all the time that they can spare the energy to kill for fun.

#3577910 - 02/06/14 03:37 PM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: jb3]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: jb3
If you did let a big cat walk and when you got home you saw on the news about a person being attacked and killed by a big cat............

First, how would you know it was the same cat? let the cat you saw walk may have played no role at all.

#3577911 - 02/06/14 03:37 PM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: BSK]
ferg
Cancer Free
16 Point

If you're hunting in TN there is always a 'chance' of you being eatin' on the way to your stand - always.

There are no high fences at our boarders - and there's black bears out by DA's place - and the Florida Panthers don't know the difference between northern Florida and Southern TN

\:\) enjoy your next walk in \:\)

USCG(Ret)
Semper Par !

#3577919 - 02/06/14 03:44 PM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: BSK]
BSK
Non-Typical

I can't believe people on this site are so afraid of an animal that, to date, doesn't even live in this state. People who live out west in lion country don't really give the big cats much thought. Cat attacks on humans are so rare, even in areas with lots of big cats, that I wouldn't worry even if big cats did start to make their appearance here.

My brother lives at 10,000 feet in the Rockies, and they see mountain lions fairly regularly. However, the cats are scared to death of humans. My nephew even ran down a mountain lion, in the dark and unarmed, after the lion went after one of their housecats. The lion wanted nothing to do with a person. They are in much greater danger of the elk wandering through the yard than the lions.

#3577920 - 02/06/14 03:45 PM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: BSK]
BSK
Non-Typical

You pot-stirrer ferg! \:D

#3577932 - 02/06/14 03:54 PM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: BSK]
KENBOB10
16 Point

Don't know for sure, but I would say being afraid of a bear(black) would make more sense. People have definitely been killed by them, but I don't know the numbers. Maybe Brian does.

#3577938 - 02/06/14 03:58 PM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: Crow Terminator]
Trevor2
8 Point

Loc: sunbright,tn

content Online

i agree with everythin in this reply

#3577940 - 02/06/14 03:59 PM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: KENBOB10]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: KENBOB10
Don't know for sure, but I would say being afraid of a bear(black) would make more sense. People have definitely been killed by them, but I don't know the numbers. Maybe Brian does.

There are reported cases of black bear and mountain lion attacks on humans. But considering how many people come in contact with black bears and mountain lions (out west), I wouldn't be too worried about either. Now if we had grizzly bears or rutting bull elk or moose, THOSE I would be very wary of.

Now that doesn't mean staying away from black bears and mountain lions isn't a good idea. I would definitely try to steer clear of both, just for peace of mind.

#3577942 - 02/06/14 04:01 PM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: BSK]
KENBOB10
16 Point

Hasn't been too long ago when the little girl was killed at Benton Falls here in Polk County. I think they determined hunger was the main contributing factor.

#3577947 - 02/06/14 04:03 PM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: BSK]
ferg
Cancer Free
16 Point

Originally Posted By: BSK
You pot-stirrer ferg! \:D

Hey ! I resemble that !@ \:D \:D

USCG(Ret)
Semper Par !

#3577951 - 02/06/14 04:04 PM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: KENBOB10]
BSK
Non-Typical

Hasn't been too long ago when the little girl was killed at Benton Falls here in Polk County. I think they determined hunger was the main contributing factor.

Absolutely true. A couple of people have been killed by black bears in the Smokies. But how many million people visit the Smokies every year?

#3577955 - 02/06/14 04:07 PM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: BSK]
jb3
10 Point

Loc: Burns, TN

I hunt in Davidson County and I can imagine all the chaos a big cat would cause if one was seen crossing the road next to Loveless Cafe or was seen on Ensworth's soccer field. If a dang coyote sighting makes the 6:00 news, just think what the media would do if a cat was seen somewhere.
#3578106 - 02/06/14 06:11 PM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: jb3]
DirtyBear0311
8 Point

Loc: Milan, TN

Kill one and you face state and federal charges. I believe the federal charges carry something like a ten year prison sentence for killing one. So if you all are really that scared of something that is more afraid of you, want to stop the repopulation of an amazing mega species that was eradicated in TN because of unfounded fear, have the massive amount of money to throw away on the fine, and are bored with life and want to experience a decade in a federal penitentiary, then by all means, kill one when you see it.

Edited by DirtyBear0311 (02/06/14 06:14 PM)

Just because it's bad-a** don't mean it's a good idea.

#3578127 - 02/06/14 06:19 PM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: BSK]
Nealmeally
8 Point

Loc: TN

How can they prove it wasn't self defense if only you and the big cat were there..????

#3578131 - 02/06/14 06:21 PM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: DirtyBear0311]
Rockhound
10 Point

Loc: Lawrence Co. TN

Originally Posted By: DirtyBear0311
Kill one and you face state and federal charges. I believe the federal charges carry something like a ten year prison sentence for killing one. So if you all are really that scared of something that is more afraid of you, want to stop the repopulation of an amazing mega species that was eradicated in TN because of unfounded fear, have the massive amount of money to throw away on the fine, and are bored with life and want to experience a decade in a federal penitentiary, then by all means, kill one when you see it.

Would never happen
Isaiah 40:31.... Those who wait upon The Lord .....shall renew there strength ......

#3578135 - 02/06/14 06:24 PM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: Rockhound]
Nealmeally
8 Point

Originally Posted By: Rockhound

Would never happen

I agree.. Like I said, how can they prove it wasn't fixing to attack you???

#3578157 - 02/06/14 06:41 PM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: Nealmeally]
DirtyBear0311
8 Point

People get paid big money to investigate those sorts of things. I guess I can't understand that philosophy anyway. Why would you wanna lie about that? People on here whine and complain all the time about liberals and obama lying. Why would you want to go and do the very thing you complain about? It does not much matter the situation you lie in. Just because it suits your needs does not make it right. It's called honor, people.

#3578162 - 02/06/14 06:45 PM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: DirtyBear0311]
DIRTTRAX
8 Point

Loc: Lexington, TN

I would kill it with no hesitation. They could take my guns or put me in jail but I would be the one to finally prove they exist.

#3578163 - 02/06/14 06:45 PM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: Nealmeally]
A.Hall
Formerly "Spoon"
Non-Typical

Loc: Bartlett, TN

Originally Posted By: Nealmeally

Would never happen

Like they told me out west hunting elk, if you kill a Grizzly, you better have marks on you or face a very heavy fine and jail te

#3578172 - 02/06/14 06:52 PM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: DirtyBear0311]
Nealmeally
8 Point

People get paid big money to investigate those sorts of things. I guess I can't understand that philosophy anyway. Why would you wanna lie about that? People on here whine and complain all the time about liberals and obama lying. Why would you want to go and do the very thing you complain about? It does not much matter the situation you lie in. Just because it suits your needs does not make it right. It's called honor, people.

I never said I would lie.. I was just wondering how they'd prove it wasn't going to attack you. Self defense is if you were in fear of your life..Right??

And what does Obama and liberals have to do with killing a mountain that may or may not attack you??? Obama being brought up in any discussion is a bad idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#3578181 - 02/06/14 06:57 PM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: DIRTTRAX]
SALTMAN
8 Point

Loc: Cadiz Ky

I have seen a couple out west while elk hunting and they are afraid of humans , generally. Like BSK said familarity breeds contempt . I think also a number of the attacks have been made by older cats that have lost some of their ability to capture/kill their normal prey. Never have had the desire to kill one legally sure wouldn't do it the other way .
Now loose running house cats ,, saw last week on Nashville tv station someone was brought up on animal cruelty charges for killing a neighbors fluffy ,, shot with a .22 pellet .. shuda used a 22 short! Then it wouldnt have made it home .

#3578183 - 02/06/14 07:00 PM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: Nealmeally]
Camp David
12 Point

How can they prove it wasn't self defense if only you and the big cat were there..????

Maybe it would have something to do with where the bullet hole was? Anything short of a direct on head or chest shot would be questionable, right?

#3578189 - 02/06/14 07:02 PM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: Nealmeally]
DirtyBear0311
8 Point

I never said I would lie.. I was just wondering how they'd prove it wasn't going to attack you. Self defense is if you were in fear of your life..Right??

And what does Obama and liberals have to do with killing a mountain that may or may not attack you??? Obama being brought up in any discussion is a bad idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IF one were to lie about killing a big cat by saying it were in self defense when it was not, then that individual would be lying like the liberals and obama do, which everyone complains about. And I think the "I felt threatened for my life" statement needs to have a little more evidence to back that up. Otherwise, people could kill anything and anyone at any time as long as they say that they were in fear for their lives.

#3578192 - 02/06/14 07:04 PM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: DirtyBear0311]
Deer Assassin
Non-Typical

Loc: Kingston Springs

yes i would

Spending money I dont have

on things I dont need

to impress people I dont know

#3578222 - 02/06/14 07:23 PM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: Deer Assassin]
duckriver
10 Point

Loc: River Bottom

content Online
I wouldn't unless I knew is was after me and I had a slim chance of getting away. Or it had gotten one of my cattle down. Which I doubt it would do with so much other stuff around here to eat. I will not lie. The other side of me says shoot it to prove that it was here and take my chances but it would be cool to see. I have several neighbors that swear they have seen them. Who knows.

#3578227 - 02/06/14 07:27 PM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: duckriver]
SALTMAN
8 Point

Loc: Cadiz Ky

guess some mod didn't like my comment . it got catnapped !
#3578372 - 02/06/14 09:39 PM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: Poser]
Planking
6 Point

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Poser

Its pretty tasty if you can get over im eating a cat.

#3578458 - 02/07/14 04:46 AM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: Planking]
taximan
8 Point

Loc: Indiana

mtn lion backstrap was the best meat i ever ate!!

#3578468 - 02/07/14 05:13 AM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: taximan]
ImThere
10 Point

Loc: Lewisburg, Tn

Growing up hunting California around Fresno Dome it got to a point to where we saw more mt lions than deer. I have had lots of run ins with them. The one that always sticks out is when my buddy and i was dragging out his muley we had a cat follow us out to the truck and the darker it got the closer it got. It was very uncomfortable. Alot of guys sss when it came to cats. so until it gets to that point i guess i would let em walk but it wouldnt be easy. People jogging in the suburbs will be at risk before we are in the woods

#3578471 - 02/07/14 05:25 AM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: ImThere]
Thicketmaster
4 Point

Loc: eads,tn

No

#3578632 - 02/07/14 09:22 AM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: Thicketmaster]
TheRealSpurhunter
8 Point

Lots of good points for and against. I guess it doesnt matter since they dont exist here.

#3578640 - 02/07/14 09:34 AM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: TheRealSpurhunter]
Frank G
8 Point

Loc: Hardin Co, TN Pickwick Lake

Lots of good points for and against. I guess it doesnt matter since they dont exist here.

TRS,
I have a friend (long time hunter) that swares up and down that he has seen one. I have come across some rather large prints that had to be one HUGE bobcat.

#3578641 - 02/07/14 09:34 AM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: DIRTTRAX]
Deck78
6 Point

Loc: hipster hollow

Yes in the scenario where a big cat, or any other predatory animal was threatening or killing my livestock that I sell for profit to pay my bills than I would shoot...

#3578655 - 02/07/14 09:42 AM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: Deck78]
Snowwolfe
4 Point

Loc: Crossville

This is like Bigfoot. Where are the pictures?
#3578909 - 02/07/14 01:02 PM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: Snowwolfe]
Lost Lake
6 Point

Loc: Middle Tn

Only if it was a real threat. I heard someone mention that in some parts of Grizzly country the Law puts it that, " if you kill one you better have claw or tooth marks on you."

That kind of mentality is understandable to keep people from just shooting one on sight, but the other side of that coin is that someone has to let a predator chew on them for a little while before acting in self defense. I'm not a panicky fella by nature but I don't like the idea of visiting places where more value is placed on the life of a predator than my own.

I don't think we'll have to worry about this in our State for a while.

#3581033 - 02/09/14 10:07 AM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: Lost Lake]
BamaProud
12 Point

Loc: Shelby County, TN

I'll shoot the first bigfoot, or big cat I see. You can't get in trouble for shooting something that you think is putting your life or well-being in danger. ...I suppose it could get dicey if it turned out be some idiot in a costume though.

#3581037 - 02/09/14 10:09 AM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: BamaProud]
KENBOB10
16 Point

Originally Posted By: BamaProud
I'll shoot the first bigfoot, or big cat I see. You can't get in trouble for shooting something that you think is putting your life or well-being in danger. ...I suppose it could get dicey if it turned out be some idiot in a costume though.

Lol, you think?

#3581045 - 02/09/14 10:15 AM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: A.Hall]
BamaProud
12 Point

Loc: Shelby County, TN

Originally Posted By: A.Hall

Would never happen

Like they told me out west hunting elk, if you kill a Grizzly, you better have marks on you or face a very heavy fine and jail te

But Grizzles are known to exist, documented and protected out west. "Big Cats" in the wild especially Tigers, Black Panthers, are no more protected than Monitor Lizards in Tennessee.

#3581047 - 02/09/14 10:18 AM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: KENBOB10]
BMan
16 Point

Loc: Middle TN

Lol, you think?

If some idiot is out in the woods in a bigfoot costume, he pretty much needs to be culled from the herd anyway.

#3581048 - 02/09/14 10:19 AM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: BMan]
KENBOB10
16 Point

Originally Posted By: BMan

Lol, you think?

If some idiot is out in the woods in a bigfoot costume, he pretty much needs to be culled from the herd anyway.

\:D

#3581108 - 02/09/14 11:13 AM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: KENBOB10]
diamond hunter
6 Point

Loc: Goodlettsville Tennessee USA

Im shooting the next black panther I see on my place.

#3581300 - 02/09/14 02:55 PM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: diamond hunter]
Gonefishing2
Button

Let it walk
#3581352 - 02/09/14 03:35 PM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: Gonefishing2]
BigGameGuy Moderator
TWRA Biologist
12 Point

I have yet to hear one good reason why to kill it and a lot of disregard for wildlife laws. I also can't believe how many hunters on here are afraid to walk in the woods. I am much more afraid of walking into a person in the woods than any wild animal. I for one, would love to see the return of cougars to Tennessee. Talk about a return of a healthy ecosystem.

And yes we want proof of a cougar (not a carcass). Unfortunately we have little evidence of their existence in our state.

#3581356 - 02/09/14 03:39 PM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: BigGameGuy]
in the dog house!
16 Point

Loc: west tn

Originally Posted By: BigGameGuy
I have yet to hear one good reason why to kill it. I also can't believe how many hunters on here are afraid to walk in the woods. I am much more afraid of walking into a person in the woods than any wild animal. I for one, would love to see the return of cougars to Tennessee. Talk about a return of a healthy ecosystem.

And yes we want proof of a cougar (not a carcass). Unfortunately we have little evidence of their existence in our state.

Unfortunately the only "proof" that would stand up to anyone would in fact have to be a carcass or either to trap one. Photos would never be taken seriously with all the tool available to edit pics.

Μολων λαβε

#3581357 - 02/09/14 03:40 PM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: BigGameGuy]
stik
"Popcorn"
18 Point

Loc: lenoir city,tn

Originally Posted By: BigGameGuy

other than a carcass, what could possibly be irrefutable evidence?

nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught

#3581400 - 02/09/14 04:34 PM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: stik]
BigGameGuy Moderator
TWRA Biologist
12 Point

A clear picture of a cougar would work perfect. Almost all of the documented cases of cougars in the southern boot of Missouri are trail camera pictures. They show a clear picture of the cat and the location can be substantiated by going back to where the picture was taken. I personally cannot wait until we get one of those Tennessee. Unfortunately, no one has given us one yet.

#3581409 - 02/09/14 04:45 PM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: BigGameGuy]
Benelli 4 Life
4 Point

Loc: Bledsoe Co. TN

I'd shoot one. Bigfoot too

#3581488 - 02/09/14 05:36 PM Re: Would you shoot a big cat if you saw it? [Re: Benelli 4 Life]
scn Moderator
16 Point

Loc: Brentwood, TN US

Just to add a little reality into this discussion, here is the most likely way it will go down if you shoot a cougar:

If the word gets out, it will be investigated since it is a closed season and endangered species issue. If it is determined that it is a wild cougar and not an escaped/released cougar, then absent of very compelling evidence that it was a self-defense issue, it will be given to a United States Attorney for presecution in federal court. Like Anthony said, absent of claw marks or a frontal shot showing a very close range confrontation, the "I was scared of it" excuse will not get you out of prosecution.

The decision to go forward with prosecution has already been made at the highest levels of the USFWS due to the endangered florida cougar. Their historical range drifts up into TN.

Once you get to federal court, you are looking at attorney fees that I have been told will start in the $5-10,000 range. If the trial is very time consuming, the fees will move upward from there.

If you are found guilty in federal court, there are very substantial fines and jail time for violation of the ESA. Your trip to court will be nothing like a slap on the wrist in your county court.

I have very little doubt that we have some cougars that are out there or range through TN occassionally. I have friends that have seen one in two separate areas of the state over the years. Whether or not they were a released pet or a wild one ranging through could not be determined. From the locations of the sightings, my bet would be released pets, but who knows. My gut feeling is we do not have any breeding populations in the state.

Like BGG said, some clear pictures, or preserved tracks or scat is a MUCH better alternative in proving their presence than gunning one down. The gunning scenario very likely could prove to be a VERY expensive proposition.

Page all of 9 12345>Last »

Moderator:  Cuttin Caller, Tennessee Todd, RUGER, Unicam, BigGameGuy, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck, scn 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Skeeter1, terryturner, aksn823, weatherby man, DWboater
13520 Registered Users
Who's Online
136 registered (woodyard, tn gunman, driver, Hillbilly Hunter, Tracker56, redhunterZ71, 11 invisible) and 215 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13520 Members
42 Forums
98819 Topics
1161169 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.094 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.