#3577136 - 02/05/14 10:12 PM Re: Road Hunting [Re: Super8]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

Originally Posted By: Super8
 Originally Posted By: catman529
 Originally Posted By: Super8
Legal or not IMO that is not ethical or anything close to hunting to simply spot a deer in a field and shoot while simply riding around any property.
Looking for bragging rights is not why I personally hunt deer.
To each his own but I prefer to hunt travel corridors,pinch points,bedding areas,feeding areas and enjoy the chase and plan my hunts according to what I learn from observation during each hunt and build on it.

if you are not looking for bragging rights, then you should try road hunting, because there is nothing to brag about there.

I would never recommend road hunting.
My point is that it takes all the thrill out of the hunt and I hunt for the different reasons.
Relaxing in a climber, watching wildlife sneak through the woods,
listening to the sounds,watching the sun rise and set.
You know what I mean.

To drive a road shoot a deer and call it done... is not for me
it's not for me either

#3577249 - 02/06/14 06:44 AM Re: Road Hunting [Re: timberjack86]
Big JWC 50
4 Point

Loc: Chattanooga, TN

Originally Posted By: timberjack86
Is it legal if you pull up to your land intending to hunt see a deer 300 yards away between the truck and your stand stalk the deer and kill him?

Basically in a nutshell what I asked. I don't understand how it could be illegal?

#3577252 - 02/06/14 06:46 AM Re: Road Hunting [Re: DIRTTRAX]
Big JWC 50
4 Point

Originally Posted By: DIRTTRAX
 Originally Posted By: landman
So is it legal to ride around by all the land you have permission to hunt late in the afternoon until you see a legal deer then get out of truck, but past the ditch and shoot it?

I say yes, but i dont count. But its no different to me than what big jw said. If i get into my truck drive to my spot with the intent to hunt and there are a field full of deer ill stalk them. Dont care what anyone thinks or says. As long as im legal and have permission game on.

I agree and I don't understand how that can be illegal? I'm not trying to be ugly about it and I've read all the stories. I'm sure there is a lot more to the real story we are reading. I'm just trying to give situations that could for sure happen and trying to understand why it is illegal?

#3577259 - 02/06/14 06:51 AM Re: Road Hunting [Re: Big JWC 50]
Big JWC 50
4 Point

Here is a even better question. All these guys you see on hunting shows that are watching their land from county roads with spotting scopes during late season watching for a big buck to use a certain field a few days in a row if they are watching that buck in the morning and watch where he beds down at in the woodline or even just sees where the buck went into at, go in there after lunch and setup on the buck are they road hunting?
#3577266 - 02/06/14 06:57 AM Re: Road Hunting [Re: Big JWC 50]
Big JWC 50
4 Point

Would it make a difference if he was using a gun vs. bow?
#3577407 - 02/06/14 09:13 AM Re: Road Hunting [Re: Big JWC 50]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

Loc: Franklin County

Seems to me that it would be rare for a Game Warden to actually be able to catch somebody doing this. The Warden would have to be able to see both the deer AND the hunter and see the deer standing there when the hunter comes into view while driving along the road. From what everybody is saying, the deer has to be there when the hunter drives up for it to be wrong. So we have a hunter who drives along, sees a deer standing in the field, the hunter may or may not see the Warden. The hunter gets out of the vehicle and stalks the deer - gets a legal distance from the road and shoots. To say this is illegal is getting into a gray area to me. What if the hunter had intended to hunt that field in the 1st place, drove up and got out to hunt not knowing a deer was standing in the field - yet the deer was visible to the Warden - the same hunter starts walking towards his stand, sudenly spots the deer - again at a legal distance from the road and shoots. Is that legal? Is the legality of it all determined by the hunter wanting an easy deer that he spots while driving vs. shooting the same deer at the same place but not spotting it before getting out of the truck? Mighty shakey ground to start applying law to if you ask me. It's not nearly the sme thing as shooting from the vehicle while in the road. That's cut and dried illegal and unethical.
#3577668 - 02/06/14 12:23 PM Re: Road Hunting [Re: Hunter 257W]
Timber Ghost
8 Point

Loc: Tn. Blount( Seymour)

I was told by an officer that "targets of opportunity" were legal as long as the hunter was off the road right-of-way and had permission to hunt the property. If you had permission to hunt the property then you had intent to hunt the property.

#3577813 - 02/06/14 02:20 PM Re: Road Hunting [Re: Timber Ghost]
woodsman87
8 Point

Loc: south TN

I don't know what the "John Setter" guy was doing. But his story did change a few times.

What I do not agree with is how he come on here and started thuming his chest acting like he didn't do anything wrong and boasting about it. IMO he was in the wrong and got off easy. I leave it at that for him.

Also, it is unethical in my book, but if your riding around land you have permission to hunt, spot an animal, park and stalk that animal. I believe that it is legal but unethical. Two different things.

#3578510 - 02/07/14 06:42 AM Re: Road Hunting [Re: Hunter 257W]
Big JWC 50
4 Point

Originally Posted By: Hunter 257W
Seems to me that it would be rare for a Game Warden to actually be able to catch somebody doing this. The Warden would have to be able to see both the deer AND the hunter and see the deer standing there when the hunter comes into view while driving along the road. From what everybody is saying, the deer has to be there when the hunter drives up for it to be wrong. So we have a hunter who drives along, sees a deer standing in the field, the hunter may or may not see the Warden. The hunter gets out of the vehicle and stalks the deer - gets a legal distance from the road and shoots. To say this is illegal is getting into a gray area to me. What if the hunter had intended to hunt that field in the 1st place, drove up and got out to hunt not knowing a deer was standing in the field - yet the deer was visible to the Warden - the same hunter starts walking towards his stand, sudenly spots the deer - again at a legal distance from the road and shoots. Is that legal? Is the legality of it all determined by the hunter wanting an easy deer that he spots while driving vs. shooting the same deer at the same place but not spotting it before getting out of the truck? Mighty shakey ground to start applying law to if you ask me. It's not nearly the sme thing as shooting from the vehicle while in the road. That's cut and dried illegal and unethical.

Well said

#3581840 - 02/09/14 09:15 PM Re: Road Hunting [Re: Hunter 257W]
landman
10 Point

Loc: TN & Western KY

Originally Posted By: Hunter 257W

I would think it would go down 2 ways
1. someone reports you, no different than someone reports a certain truck spotlighting and shooting
2. GW knows that you've been doing this, by reports, tips, etc
waits and watches, some of them are Durn Good at their Jobs

http://www.JimmySettleLand.com

Page 3 of 3 <123

Moderator:  gtk, Cuttin Caller, Tennessee Todd, RUGER, Unicam, BigGameGuy, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck, scn 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
1 registered (JoshDosMil) and 40 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180120 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.007 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.