Tndeer Logo

Page all of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#3575921 - 02/04/14 10:07 PM Road Hunting
landman
8 Point

Loc: TN & Western KY

So is it legal to ride around by all the land you have permission to hunt late in the afternoon until you see a legal deer then get out of truck, but past the ditch and shoot it?

http://www.JimmySettleLand.com

#3575935 - 02/04/14 10:24 PM Re: Road Hunting [Re: landman]
Chaneylake
Brownsville Mafia
16 Point

Loc: on the wings of a snow white d...

in my opinion yes, but you are not from Chicago

Living somewhere between this world and the other, Legends of the Fall

#3575938 - 02/04/14 10:27 PM Re: Road Hunting [Re: Chaneylake]
Chaneylake
Brownsville Mafia
16 Point

Loc: on the wings of a snow white d...

Originally Posted By: Chaneylake
in my opinion yes, but you are not from Chicago

jk, it seems to me that there are to many variables

#1. the persons intention when they entered the vehicle was to arrive at a place to hunt

Living somewhere between this world and the other, Legends of the Fall

#3575940 - 02/04/14 10:30 PM Re: Road Hunting [Re: Chaneylake]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

I'm not twra but I think the definition of road hunting is any part of the hunt (spotting, stalking) done from a vehicle on the road counts as road hunting. Think of it this way, you wouldn't be sneaking up and shooting that deer of you hadn't first seen it from the road. However if you were already planning to hunt there, and saw a deer there from the road, I'd keep going and hunting there as planned and try to kill the deer. Something about the law says something to the effect of "with intent to immediately return to the vehicle" so if I was already gonna hunt there id still go and kill the deer even if I saw it from the road. Again I'm not twra so don't take what I say as law

...since last deer season

#3575983 - 02/04/14 11:28 PM Re: Road Hunting [Re: Chaneylake]
landman
8 Point

Originally Posted By: Chaneylake
[quote=Chaneylake]in my opinion yes, but you are not from Chicago

jk, it seems to me that there are to many variables

#1. the persons intention when they entered the vehicle was to arrive at a place to hunt [/quote

I know In your business and mine with both ride
by land we could hunt, see a deer drive by get
Out put on orange slip around the woods and kill
The deer....to me that's legal

But for both of us the ride around together
With the intent of finding a deer see him get out
make sure I'm across the ditch and shoot is road
Hunting. IMO

#3576405 - 02/05/14 11:23 AM Re: Road Hunting [Re: landman]
morgancountry
4 Point

Loc: wartburg, tn

i missed the last thread... in before...
#3576406 - 02/05/14 11:25 AM Re: Road Hunting [Re: landman]
Deer Assassin
Non-Typical

Loc: Kingston Springs

content Online
 Originally Posted By: landman
So is it legal to ride around by all the land you have permission to hunt late in the afternoon until you see a legal deer then get out of truck, but past the ditch and shoot it?

i think there is a requirement on how far off the road you can be

Spending money I dont have

on things I dont need

to impress people I dont know

#3576458 - 02/05/14 12:27 PM Re: Road Hunting [Re: Deer Assassin]
EastTNHunter
10 Point

Loc: Rhea Co., TN

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Deer Assassin

i think there is a requirement on how far off the road you can be

Just that you must be off of the ROW

#3576709 - 02/05/14 05:01 PM Re: Road Hunting [Re: EastTNHunter]
RecurveShooter
6 Point

Loc: West TN

70-4-109. Hunting from aircraft, watercraft or motor vehicles unlawful -- Exception for persons confined to wheelchairs -- Penalty.

(a) It is unlawful to chase, hunt, or kill any wild birds, wild animals or wild fowl in the state of Tennessee from any craft propelled by electric, gasoline, steam or sail power, or airplane or hydroplane or from any automobile or motor vehicle, unless otherwise provided by law, rule and regulation or by proclamation; provided, that under no circumstance shall this subsection (a) be construed as authorizing the legalization of hunting from an automobile or motor vehicle while under power.

70-1-101. Title definitions -- Construction of dates and provisions.
(19) "Hunting" means chasing, driving, flushing, attracting, pursuing, worrying, following after or on the trail of, searching for, trapping, shooting at, stalking, or lying in wait for, any wildlife, whether or not such wildlife is then or subsequently captured, killed, taken, or wounded and every act of assistance to any other person, but "hunting" does not include stalking, attracting, searching for, or lying in wait for, wildlife by an unarmed person solely for the purpose of watching wildlife or taking pictures of wildlife;

#3576876 - 02/05/14 07:01 PM Re: Road Hunting [Re: RecurveShooter]
Big JWC 50
4 Point

Loc: Chattanooga, TN

So if I'm heading in for an evening hunt coming down the county road my land borders n I see a huge buck out in my front field n he chases a doe back into the woodline. I stop my trick pull off into the field slip on my orange n slip around the field into the woodline n the buck is in the woods about 50 yards n I shoot him I'm road hunting?
#3576889 - 02/05/14 07:13 PM Re: Road Hunting [Re: Big JWC 50]
lung-buster
10 Point

Loc: Southern Middle Tn

Originally Posted By: Big JWC 50
So if I'm heading in for an evening hunt coming down the county road my land borders n I see a huge buck out in my front field n he chases a doe back into the woodline. I stop my trick pull off into the field slip on my orange n slip around the field into the woodline n the buck is in the woods about 50 yards n I shoot him I'm road hunting?

Some people would call you a douche bag poacher if you did this from what I've been reading.

#3576942 - 02/05/14 07:40 PM Re: Road Hunting [Re: lung-buster]
Super8
8 Point

Loc: USofA

Legal or not IMO that is not ethical or anything close to hunting to simply spot a deer in a field and shoot while simply riding around any property.
Looking for bragging rights is not why I personally hunt deer.
To each his own but I prefer to hunt travel corridors,pinch points,bedding areas,feeding areas and enjoy the chase and plan my hunts according to what I learn from observation during each hunt and build on it.

#3576953 - 02/05/14 07:46 PM Re: Road Hunting [Re: lung-buster]
BMan
16 Point

Loc: Middle TN

Originally Posted By: lung-buster

Some people would call you a douche bag poacher if you did this from what I've been reading.

If you'd read the entire thread started by the road hunter, you'd see why he's being accurately described that way.

#3576996 - 02/05/14 08:17 PM Re: Road Hunting [Re: lung-buster]
Big JWC 50
4 Point

So if I pull up to my land where I park to go hunt n there is a field full of deer I need to shue them away for I can get to my stand then ask them to come back once I'm setup

Edited by Big JWC 50 (02/05/14 08:18 PM)

#3577001 - 02/05/14 08:21 PM Re: Road Hunting [Re: BMan]
lung-buster
10 Point

Loc: Southern Middle Tn

Originally Posted By: BMan

If you'd read the entire thread started by the road hunter, you'd see why he's being accurately described that way.

I read it all. He would of been a douche bag poacher if they were trespassing, rolled down the window and shot the deer and cut the head off and left. It dosent really ruffle my feathers for someone to see a deer on a place they can hunt and go after a animal. To each is own. The law is the law, and I agree he should of manned up to his wrong doings.

#3577049 - 02/05/14 08:51 PM Re: Road Hunting [Re: lung-buster]
timberjack86
14 Point

Loc: Grundy county

Is it legal if you pull up to your land intending to hunt see a deer 300 yards away between the truck and your stand stalk the deer and kill him?

Edited by timberjack86 (02/05/14 08:52 PM)

#3577050 - 02/05/14 08:51 PM Re: Road Hunting [Re: Super8]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Super8
Legal or not IMO that is not ethical or anything close to hunting to simply spot a deer in a field and shoot while simply riding around any property.
To each his own but I prefer to hunt travel corridors,pinch points,bedding areas,feeding areas and enjoy the chase and plan my hunts according to what I learn from observation during each hunt and build on it.

if you are not looking for bragging rights, then you should try road hunting, because there is nothing to brag about there.

#3577083 - 02/05/14 09:23 PM Re: Road Hunting [Re: landman]
DIRTTRAX
8 Point

Loc: Lexington, TN

I say yes, but i dont count. But its no different to me than what big jw said. If i get into my truck drive to my spot with the intent to hunt and there are a field full of deer ill stalk them. Dont care what anyone thinks or says. As long as im legal and have permission game on.

#3577088 - 02/05/14 09:26 PM Re: Road Hunting [Re: DIRTTRAX]
DIRTTRAX
8 Point

Loc: Lexington, TN

now I will agree that mr john setters story changed to much and I believe there was more to it than he was saying. I dont think the game wrden wrote the hunting from the road ticket without seeing some kinda road activity.

#3577111 - 02/05/14 09:46 PM Re: Road Hunting [Re: catman529]
Super8
8 Point

Loc: USofA

Originally Posted By: catman529

if you are not looking for bragging rights, then you should try road hunting, because there is nothing to brag about there.

I would never recommend road hunting.
My point is that it takes all the thrill out of the hunt and I hunt for the different reasons.
Relaxing in a climber, watching wildlife sneak through the woods,
listening to the sounds,watching the sun rise and set.
You know what I mean.

To drive a road shoot a deer and call it done... is not for me

#3577136 - 02/05/14 10:12 PM Re: Road Hunting [Re: Super8]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Originally Posted By: catman529

I would never recommend road hunting.
My point is that it takes all the thrill out of the hunt and I hunt for the different reasons.
Relaxing in a climber, watching wildlife sneak through the woods,
listening to the sounds,watching the sun rise and set.
You know what I mean.

To drive a road shoot a deer and call it done... is not for me
it's not for me either

#3577249 - 02/06/14 06:44 AM Re: Road Hunting [Re: timberjack86]
Big JWC 50
4 Point

Originally Posted By: timberjack86
Is it legal if you pull up to your land intending to hunt see a deer 300 yards away between the truck and your stand stalk the deer and kill him?

Basically in a nutshell what I asked. I don't understand how it could be illegal?

#3577252 - 02/06/14 06:46 AM Re: Road Hunting [Re: DIRTTRAX]
Big JWC 50
4 Point

Originally Posted By: DIRTTRAX

I say yes, but i dont count. But its no different to me than what big jw said. If i get into my truck drive to my spot with the intent to hunt and there are a field full of deer ill stalk them. Dont care what anyone thinks or says. As long as im legal and have permission game on.

I agree and I don't understand how that can be illegal? I'm not trying to be ugly about it and I've read all the stories. I'm sure there is a lot more to the real story we are reading. I'm just trying to give situations that could for sure happen and trying to understand why it is illegal?

#3577259 - 02/06/14 06:51 AM Re: Road Hunting [Re: Big JWC 50]
Big JWC 50
4 Point

Here is a even better question. All these guys you see on hunting shows that are watching their land from county roads with spotting scopes during late season watching for a big buck to use a certain field a few days in a row if they are watching that buck in the morning and watch where he beds down at in the woodline or even just sees where the buck went into at, go in there after lunch and setup on the buck are they road hunting?
#3577266 - 02/06/14 06:57 AM Re: Road Hunting [Re: Big JWC 50]
Big JWC 50
4 Point

Would it make a difference if he was using a gun vs. bow?
#3577407 - 02/06/14 09:13 AM Re: Road Hunting [Re: Big JWC 50]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

Loc: Franklin County

Seems to me that it would be rare for a Game Warden to actually be able to catch somebody doing this. The Warden would have to be able to see both the deer AND the hunter and see the deer standing there when the hunter comes into view while driving along the road. From what everybody is saying, the deer has to be there when the hunter drives up for it to be wrong. So we have a hunter who drives along, sees a deer standing in the field, the hunter may or may not see the Warden. The hunter gets out of the vehicle and stalks the deer - gets a legal distance from the road and shoots. To say this is illegal is getting into a gray area to me. What if the hunter had intended to hunt that field in the 1st place, drove up and got out to hunt not knowing a deer was standing in the field - yet the deer was visible to the Warden - the same hunter starts walking towards his stand, sudenly spots the deer - again at a legal distance from the road and shoots. Is that legal? Is the legality of it all determined by the hunter wanting an easy deer that he spots while driving vs. shooting the same deer at the same place but not spotting it before getting out of the truck? Mighty shakey ground to start applying law to if you ask me. It's not nearly the sme thing as shooting from the vehicle while in the road. That's cut and dried illegal and unethical.
#3577668 - 02/06/14 12:23 PM Re: Road Hunting [Re: Hunter 257W]
Timber Ghost
8 Point

Loc: Tn. Blount( Seymour)

I was told by an officer that "targets of opportunity" were legal as long as the hunter was off the road right-of-way and had permission to hunt the property. If you had permission to hunt the property then you had intent to hunt the property.

#3577813 - 02/06/14 02:20 PM Re: Road Hunting [Re: Timber Ghost]
woodsman87
8 Point

Loc: south TN

I don't know what the "John Setter" guy was doing. But his story did change a few times.

What I do not agree with is how he come on here and started thuming his chest acting like he didn't do anything wrong and boasting about it. IMO he was in the wrong and got off easy. I leave it at that for him.

Also, it is unethical in my book, but if your riding around land you have permission to hunt, spot an animal, park and stalk that animal. I believe that it is legal but unethical. Two different things.

#3578510 - 02/07/14 06:42 AM Re: Road Hunting [Re: Hunter 257W]
Big JWC 50
4 Point

Originally Posted By: Hunter 257W
Seems to me that it would be rare for a Game Warden to actually be able to catch somebody doing this. The Warden would have to be able to see both the deer AND the hunter and see the deer standing there when the hunter comes into view while driving along the road. From what everybody is saying, the deer has to be there when the hunter drives up for it to be wrong. So we have a hunter who drives along, sees a deer standing in the field, the hunter may or may not see the Warden. The hunter gets out of the vehicle and stalks the deer - gets a legal distance from the road and shoots. To say this is illegal is getting into a gray area to me. What if the hunter had intended to hunt that field in the 1st place, drove up and got out to hunt not knowing a deer was standing in the field - yet the deer was visible to the Warden - the same hunter starts walking towards his stand, sudenly spots the deer - again at a legal distance from the road and shoots. Is that legal? Is the legality of it all determined by the hunter wanting an easy deer that he spots while driving vs. shooting the same deer at the same place but not spotting it before getting out of the truck? Mighty shakey ground to start applying law to if you ask me. It's not nearly the sme thing as shooting from the vehicle while in the road. That's cut and dried illegal and unethical.

Well said

#3580091 - 02/08/14 11:36 AM Re: Road Hunting [Re: Big JWC 50]
LSUtigers
8 Point

Loc: East TN

If you are on property you have rights on and are the legal distance from the road, I don't see it anymore unethical than going to the same property, parking your truck, going to stand, sitting there you see a dear come up in front of you and you shoot it. JMO
#3581840 - 02/09/14 09:15 PM Re: Road Hunting [Re: Hunter 257W]
landman
8 Point

Originally Posted By: Hunter 257W

I would think it would go down 2 ways
1. someone reports you, no different than someone reports a certain truck spotlighting and shooting
2. GW knows that you've been doing this, by reports, tips, etc
waits and watches, some of them are Durn Good at their Jobs

Page all of 4 1234>

Moderator:  Cuttin Caller, Tennessee Todd, RUGER, Unicam, BigGameGuy, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck, scn 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
JPG3, red arrow, ICUFLY, east_tn_gk, cruiser sailor
13210 Registered Users
Who's Online
94 registered (bowhunterfanatic, fatboy, monsterbuck07, SEC, Grill-n-man, jakerri, 14 invisible) and 118 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13210 Members
42 Forums
91729 Topics
1072059 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.101 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.