Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3575301 - 02/04/14 04:12 PM Locavore mv't = better habitat conservation?
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

content Online
The obvious hope of organizations like Pheasants Forever and Quail Forever is today’s locavore trend will take one additional step toward Leopold’s writings – wildlife habitat conservation. Whether you favor beef or venison, chicken or pheasant, the common connector is our land. It is my belief society’s need for food and water will someday soon change our seemingly insatiable appetite to tile our uplands and drain our wetlands. Or to put it more plainly, local food will lead to local conservation.

http://www.pheasantblog.org/wild-game-its-whats-for-dinner/

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3576137 - 02/05/14 07:00 AM Re: Locavore mv't = better habitat conservation? [Re: Poser]
WMAn
8 Point

Loc: Williamson County

A very interesting article, I'm excited about the connection of hunting, food, and eating and about its potential for the future of hunting. I think these changes will pose challenges to your "stereotypical" hunter (I consider myself a somewhat stereotypical hunter). We may have to adapt or be more flexible to welcome new, adult hunters who don't look, act, talk, or think like we do.

On a side note, I hate the term locavore. It's a little too pretentious for me. Even though I hate the term, I think people caring more about where their meat and produce comes from could have a bigger impact on habitat conservation than more people hunting for meat.

Whatever your reasons, if you start to care more about the food you eat, there is a natural progression you go through:

1. Getting Concerned - you have a Sixth Sense (the movie) experiencce. Think, "I see fat people." You watch Food Inc and get concerned.
2. You Start to Buy Organic Foods at Kroger
3. You shop at Whole Foods for the first time
4. You shop at a Farmers Market for the first time
5. You sign up for your first CSA
6. You buy all your meat and a lot of your produce from local farmers

If enough people get to number six, think of the potential impact that could have on the land, habitat. Local farmers selling at farmers' markets or local shops favor smaller farms. Smaller farms could lead to more edge habitat and a potential benefit to game species.

#3577212 - 02/06/14 05:43 AM Re: Locavore mv't = better habitat conservation? [Re: WMAn]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

I admit to going through a process somewhat similar to what you described, except that I never did step #5, and step #6 was "stop buying red meat from stores and make it a point to shoot more furry woodland animals for meat"

All in all, the food movement is good for hunting (i.e. preservation of it).

I agree that the locavore crap comes off as being very pretentious...it's like you have to be a weird hippy around here to care where your food comes from.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Bobby G, RUGER, Unicam, gtk, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Crappie Luck, Mrs.Unicam 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
mikescooterhester, PinkCamo, shaneb, Mr.Squirrel, Tadtad2!
13172 Registered Users
Who's Online
119 registered (eandadad, stryker, Meathunter73, muddyboots, buckmaster31, Pic IN the Casa, 14 invisible) and 127 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13172 Members
42 Forums
90788 Topics
1060315 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.238 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.