Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3573639 - 02/03/14 11:15 AM Super Bowl Roasted Goose
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

This was my first attempt at doing a whole roasted Canada Goose. I took a very simple approach and relied upon the immense amount of fat to provide the flavor.

First thing I did was poke a lot of tiny holes in the skin all over the bird. This allows the skin to become more crispy. I rubbed the whole bird down with juice of lemon and put the lemon and a head of garlic in the cavity. Then I salted the entire bird.

I place it in a roasting pan at 325 for ~35 minutes until the breast hit the desired temp. With a goose, you have to remove the breast between 130 and 140 degrees and then finish roasting the rest of bird. After 35 minutes, I got a 132 reading on the breast and pulled the bird out of oven.

Oddly enough, when I went to debone the 2nd breast (the one I did not take a reading on), I noticed that the meat next to breast bone was still cool, so I stuck the bird minus one breast back in the oven for another 10 minutes. The breasts were wrapped in foil, skin side down, and allowed to sit while the rest of the bird roasted.

The amount of fat on a Goose is staggering. Everytime I opened the oven, I would hear fat sizzling that sounded like a rolling deep fryer full of catfish. Once the legs hit 165, I took the bird out of the oven and removed the legs and wings. Skin side down, I then placed each piece in a skillet of Goose fat for about 4 minutes to crisp up the skin ti a dark brown color.

Results: The breast meat was good, but not great. I had some problems, mainly the difference in temperature from one breast to the next caught me completely off guard. One of the breasts came out a little undercooked. I removed those undercooked pieces from the pile of food for the SB party (too many wild game virgins for rare Goose breasts). I'm going to cook those a little more for lunch today. The leg meat was great. Fatty, salty dark meat. Based on what I had, Goose legs are the true prize of a Canada goose. The amount of cooking fat I got from this one Goose is ridiculous. Until you cook one with the skin on, you really can't appreciate just how fatty these birds are. I think with another attempt at this, I can perfect the technique. I think the key in the future will be to closely monitor the breast temps as that is the most delicate stage. I'm also thinking that I might use some more aromatics in the cavity.

Anyway, Looking forward to using all of this excess rendered fat for other projects.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3573644 - 02/03/14 11:22 AM Re: Super Bowl Roasted Goose [Re: Poser]
WMAn
8 Point

Loc: Williamson County

Though/idea for you.

My favorite way to roast a chicken is to use a V rack roasting pan in a 475 degree oven. You rotate the chicken three times, 15 minutes one one side with dark meat facing up, 15 minutes on the other side, and 20 minutes breast up. Do you think doing this might be an easier way to roast a goose without disassembly mid roast?

I also coat the chicken with a salt/cornstarch mix (equal parts of each). The cornstarch helps crisp the skin in the oven.

If you were cooking for yourself or diners who don't mind red, wouldn't you want the breast to be undercooked?

#3573648 - 02/03/14 11:26 AM Re: Super Bowl Roasted Goose [Re: WMAn]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

I did a ton of research on roasting Geese. With Hank Shaw's new book, he did several Podcast interviews just on cooking geese, so I listened to those as well.

Apparently, there is no way to roast a Goose like you would a turkey. The cooking temp difference between the breast and the legs is 30-40 degrees and there is no way around that.

As far as the undercooked breast parts, they still had that "irony", "Livery" taste that people despite about Goose. The medium rare pieces did not have that flavor, for the most part. Still an iron rich taste, but good.

#3573698 - 02/03/14 12:18 PM Re: Super Bowl Roasted Goose [Re: Poser]
BuckWild
TnDeer Old Timer
12 Point

Loc: Memphis or Birdsong Creek

I thought the goose turned out great. The leg meat was off the chain and the breast meat was good but not as good as the leg meat. I had 3 slices of the breast meat and thought it had virtually no liver taste and I despise liver. LoL

Overall I give it a solid B+

#3573784 - 02/03/14 01:35 PM Re: Super Bowl Roasted Goose [Re: BuckWild]
WMAn
8 Point

How much did the dressed goose weigh?

#3573813 - 02/03/14 01:49 PM Re: Super Bowl Roasted Goose [Re: WMAn]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: WMAn
How much did the dressed goose weigh?

I didn't weigh it. It was big, though it wasn't a Greater or Giant Canada Goose. I'd guess 10 pounds which is average for an adult. I've read that you can rough age Geese by tearing the webbing on their feet. the tougher it is, the older they are (though you would need a comparison for that). Also, the brighter white the check patch, the older they are. This one appeared to be old, by Goose standards, but I don't know how old. They often live to be 20 years old and some have been aged beyond that closer to 30. The oldest waterfowl on record was a sea duck that was aged at 36 years old. That's an old bird and a long time to be dodging pellets.

#3574552 - 02/03/14 10:34 PM Re: Super Bowl Roasted Goose [Re: Poser]
redblood
16 Point

Loc: Lewisburg

i also heard they are the worst eating waterfowl in the U.S., even worst that the diving ducks

#3574575 - 02/03/14 11:41 PM Re: Super Bowl Roasted Goose [Re: redblood]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: redblood
i also heard they are the worst eating waterfowl in the U.S., even worst that the diving ducks

Geese will eat pretty much anything, so you can get varied results of taste, like many wild animals. I'm sure there are some geese that have off smelling and tasting fat. This goose was full of acorns and the fat was a bit earthy, which I like. The rendered fat is is clean and smooth, almost like bees wax.

#3574687 - 02/04/14 07:20 AM Re: Super Bowl Roasted Goose [Re: Poser]
WMAn
8 Point

Acorns? Resident goose picking up acorns in city parks/golf courses?

#3574820 - 02/04/14 09:37 AM Re: Super Bowl Roasted Goose [Re: WMAn]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: WMAn
Acorns? Resident goose picking up acorns in city parks/golf courses?

Reckon so. It was full of them.... on both ends.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Bobby G, RUGER, Unicam, gtk, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Crappie Luck, Mrs.Unicam 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
zatoan, DanParchman3, saddleman1, Jculber301, Mik475
13282 Registered Users
Who's Online
43 registered (lungpuncher1, CAW, critter slayer, TNtrapper, TN RDG RNR, CornPile, 4 invisible) and 68 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13282 Members
42 Forums
93433 Topics
1090859 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.087 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.