Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3567439 - 01/29/14 09:26 PM Experimenting with Sourdough
WMAn
8 Point

Loc: Williamson County

One of my cooking goals for this year is to learn how to bake really good, naturally leavened bread. I'm using these books as my resources:

The Art of Fermentation

Cooked: A Natural History of Transformation

Classic Sourdoughs, Revised: A Homebaker's Handbook

I started my starter on Monday. I have been stirring it multiple times per day and tonight it was very bubbly. I took the majority of it out and fed the remainder with fresh flour and water. I mixed what I took out with 2 cups flour and water to a pancake batter consistency. I'll fry the pancakes up in the morning.

I hope to weave breadmaking into my cooking routine: bake one or two loaves per week and pancakes/flatbreads every other day or so.

#3567530 - 01/30/14 12:34 AM Re: Experimenting with Sourdough [Re: WMAn]
BamaProud
12 Point

Loc: Shelby County, TN

Anything involving fermentation has me interested.

#3567634 - 01/30/14 06:37 AM Re: Experimenting with Sourdough [Re: BamaProud]
WMAn
8 Point

Bama,

I don't brew like you, other than the occasional simple mead. My current fermentation projects are:

- Mexi Kraut - a mexican version of sauerkraut: cabbage, salt, lime juice, habanero peppers, jalapeno peppers, serrano peppers, and anaheim peppers
- Homemade Sodas - I made a sweet potato fly that I thought was really good but my kids didn't. I just bottled some Tepache/Alua this morning. As soon as can get my hands on some more kefir, I will be doing some big time experimenting here.
- Sourdough Breads

#3567636 - 01/30/14 06:38 AM Re: Experimenting with Sourdough [Re: WMAn]
WMAn
8 Point

I'm cooking up my sourdough pancakes right now. They are turning out well. I'll have to wait for my wife and kids to wake up before drawing final conclusions.

#3567816 - 01/30/14 09:40 AM Re: Experimenting with Sourdough [Re: WMAn]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

I went through my bread making phase about 10 years ago. It was fun and I learned a lot. Be prepared for heartbreaking failure at times.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3567837 - 01/30/14 09:56 AM Re: Experimenting with Sourdough [Re: Poser]
BamaProud
12 Point

Loc: Shelby County, TN

That Mexi Kraut sounds good.

#3569192 - 01/31/14 06:58 AM Re: Experimenting with Sourdough [Re: Poser]
WMAn
8 Point

Originally Posted By: Poser
I went through my bread making phase about 10 years ago. It was fun and I learned a lot. Be prepared for heartbreaking failure at times.

Thoughts? Tips?

I'm focusing on my starter first. I'm not sure about the one I have right now. It went from no bubbles/no aroma, to bubbles/no aroma, to bubbles/really funky aroma. The funky aroma kind of threw me because everything I have read says a sourdough starter is a combo of yeast/lactobacilli. You can move the combo one way or the other. High yeast/low bacteria equal good rise/mild flavor. Low yeast/high bacteria equal less rise/more sour flavor. I was worried that the funky aroma meant I had low yeast/high bacteria.

I'm fermenting some bread dough right now. I started by mixing a leaven last night (35 grams starter, 100 grams flour, 100 grams water) and left it on the countertop overnight. My instructions say to test the leaven by dropping a tablespoon in a bowl of warm water to see if it floats. I did this, when I woke up this morning, my tablespoon of leaven did not float but suspended in the water. Part of it was touching the bottom of the bowl, but it stood up (suspended) in the water and was releasing bubbles the entire time. I guess I'll know a little more when the bread comes out of the oven.

#3569408 - 01/31/14 09:34 AM Re: Experimenting with Sourdough [Re: WMAn]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: WMAn
 Originally Posted By: Poser

Thoughts? Tips?

I'm focusing on my starter first. I'm not sure about the one I have right now. It went from no bubbles/no aroma, to bubbles/no aroma, to bubbles/really funky aroma. The funky aroma kind of threw me because everything I have read says a sourdough starter is a combo of yeast/lactobacilli. You can move the combo one way or the other. High yeast/low bacteria equal good rise/mild flavor. Low yeast/high bacteria equal less rise/more sour flavor. I was worried that the funky aroma meant I had low yeast/high bacteria.

I'm fermenting some bread dough right now. I started by mixing a leaven last night (35 grams starter, 100 grams flour, 100 grams water) and left it on the countertop overnight. My instructions say to test the leaven by dropping a tablespoon in a bowl of warm water to see if it floats. I did this, when I woke up this morning, my tablespoon of leaven did not float but suspended in the water. Part of it was touching the bottom of the bowl, but it stood up (suspended) in the water and was releasing bubbles the entire time. I guess I'll know a little more when the bread comes out of the oven.

You'll just have to learn from your mistakes. There are so many factors in bread making. Heavy humidity can cause your bread not to rise so well or at all. Sometimes, you think you have a recipe down to a T and you make it for a big dinner, the the darn thing doesn't rise and you'll get so mad that you ounch a whole in the wall (yes, its true).

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Bobby G, RUGER, Unicam, gtk, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Crappie Luck, Mrs.Unicam 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Mik475, AaronB, Bad Wolf, jw3783, Jesse91
13279 Registered Users
Who's Online
41 registered (RodBone75, Mike Belt, Steyrhunter, KubotaM4900, SilverFox, bigluresonly, 7 invisible) and 74 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13279 Members
42 Forums
93137 Topics
1088584 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.108 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.