#3568362 - 01/30/14 04:25 PM Re: quail ln crockpot, help me [Re: Poser]
JimFromTN
8 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: Poser
 Originally Posted By: JimFromTN
 Originally Posted By: WMAn
4. Removing the skin from game birds

If anyone is interested in a spring snow goose hunt, poser is doing the plucking. Talking about carpel tunnel.

Does this include doves as well?

7. Mention of the words "tough" or "gamey" when referring to any cut of wild game

How about rubbery and awful?

Actually, snow geese are one of the few birds that should be skinned. Their skin doesn't taste very good. Snow geese themselves take a fair amount of work to make tasty, but it can be done.

As for "rubbery" and "awful", that would be the fault of the cook, not the meat ;\)

When making the comparison of say a squirrel to a grain fed beef fillet, couldn't one come to the conclusion that the squirrel is tough in comparison therefore justifying the statement that squirrel is tough? Have you ever eaten moose? I can without any hesitation state that a bull moose is tough. Its delicious but tough. Its the best wild game meat I have ever tasted but if you don't cook it until it falls apart or beat it with a sledge hammer, its like chewing on a rubber tire, even raw. I have had the same issue with an old wild boar I killed. The loins had to be hammered or cooked into submission is order for it to be chewable.

What you call ducky, I call awful. To each his own. I don't eat guts either. I am a wuss in that dept although I have eaten tripe tacos at some of the fine authetic mecxican establishments around nashville and found them to be quite tastey as long as you don't eat the meat by itself.

Edited by JimFromTN (01/30/14 04:38 PM)

#3568382 - 01/30/14 04:35 PM Re: quail ln crockpot, help me [Re: JimFromTN]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

4. Removing the skin from game birds

If anyone is interested in a spring snow goose hunt, poser is doing the plucking. Talking about carpel tunnel.

Does this include doves as well?

7. Mention of the words "tough" or "gamey" when referring to any cut of wild game

How about rubbery and awful?

Actually, snow geese are one of the few birds that should be skinned. Their skin doesn't taste very good. Snow geese themselves take a fair amount of work to make tasty, but it can be done.

As for "rubbery" and "awful", that would be the fault of the cook, not the meat ;\)

When making the comparison of say a squirrel to a grain fed beef fillet, couldn't one come to the conclusion that the squirrel is tough in comparison therefore justifying the statement that squirrel is tough? As for taking a fair amount of work to make snow goose tastey, couldn't the same be said for a turd?

A squirrel compared to a grain feed fillet could be tough. That of course depends on how you cook it. Also, a grain feed fillet could be as bland as a piece of cardboard. Lord knows, most of the ones I have had sure were (for a truly bland steak experience, go to Ames banquet sometime. I didn't know they came that bland... ). Though a properly cooked Squirrel sure can be tender, especially a young one. Also, its hard to compare white meat by the standards of red meat.

Turds? I don't hunt turds. At some point, its like, you're a hunter: Suck up some freakin' game meat and be happy about it. You have a whole world of "exotic" (by the standards of contemporary culture) and unique game meats at your disposal. Figure out how to make them good, figure out how to maximize the yield from them. Focus on quality rather than quantity. As hunters, meat is the thing that we "do."

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3568410 - 01/30/14 04:50 PM Re: quail ln crockpot, help me [Re: Poser]
JimFromTN
8 Point

I changed my post while you were replying. Substitute chicken livers for turds if it makes you happy. They are the same in my book. I can make it all taste good. I have been duck hunting for 25 years and squirrel hunting for 35 years. I have learned how to cook them. The question is whether or not its worth the effort. I have deer, wild boar, moose, caribou, and black bear in my freezer which are all very easy to make tastey. I have to ask myself why bother with duck and squirrel anymore. They always end up at the bottom of the freezer until I get the motivation to bother with them.

Not to brag about myself but some freinds came down from Alaska and brought some caribou which I cooked for them. They said it was the best they had ever eaten. Mind you they have lived in Alaska for 20 years and have been eating it the whole time. I know how to cook wild game.

Edited by JimFromTN (01/30/14 04:54 PM)

#3568450 - 01/30/14 05:14 PM Re: quail ln crockpot, help me [Re: JimFromTN]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

I changed my post while you were replying. Substitute chicken livers for turds if it makes you happy. They are the same in my book. I can make it all taste good. I have been duck hunting for 25 years and squirrel hunting for 35 years. I have learned how to cook them. The question is whether or not its worth the effort. I have deer, wild boar, moose, caribou, and black bear in my freezer which are all very easy to make tastey. I have to ask myself why bother with duck and squirrel anymore. They always end up at the bottom of the freezer until I get the motivation to bother with them.

Not to brag about myself but some freinds came down from Alaska and brought some caribou which I cooked for them. They said it was the best they had ever eaten. Mind you they have lived in Alaska for 20 years and have been eating it the whole time. I know how to cook wild game.

Those are very valid points. I got to say that, in a lot of ways, I kind of hate duck hunters as a general, sub group of hunters. Duck hunters, for the most part, just don't have interest in eating what they kill. For the most part, they seem to be largely interested in arbitrary numbers (like killing a thousand ducks in a season just to do it). There are no shortage of very exclusive duck clubs around the region, you know $5,000+ a year memberships, where there hasn't been a single duck eaten by a member in a generation. Some of these places even hire out resident chefs to cook them steak dinners at the lodge. I've always found it odd that a hunting club, where many animals are being killed on a daily and weekly basis, (in the case of a duck club, hundred of animals killed a week), would choose (and pay money) to serve domestic meats as their primary entrees. Duck hunting as a general pursuit, seems to have lost touch with the roots of hunting more than any other subset of hunting. I don't blame the people who have given it up one bit, though I hope what has happened to duck hunting doesn't happen to deer hunting. Duck hunting needs a renaissance, but I don't see that happening anytime soon. I'm terrible duck hunter (in fact, I'm ot even a duck hunter, I'm just a hunter who sometimes kills some ducks that fly over my head), but maybe that's a good thing because ducks are a lot of work.

Squirrels can take a lot of work, too. In fact, I completely burned myself out on Squirrels last year when I competed in the Squirrel cookoff. I spent so much time hunting, cleaning, skinning, brinig, marinating and cooking squirrels, that I have lost pretty much all interested in it. At least temporarily. (I did go opening day because it is a tradition and I did hunt 1 day while in WV over Christmas). So, I feel ya and I don't blame you one bit for swearing both off. If you are going to hunt them, do it right. If you're not going to do it right, hunt something else.

#3568915 - 01/30/14 09:05 PM Re: quail ln crockpot, help me [Re: Poser]
Chaneylake
Brownsville Mafia
16 Point

Loc: on the wings of a snow white d...

Those are very valid points. I got to say that, in a lot of ways, I kind of hate duck hunters as a general, sub group of hunters. Duck hunters, for the most part, just don't have interest in eating what they kill. For the most part, they seem to be largely interested in arbitrary numbers (like killing a thousand ducks in a season just to do it). There are no shortage of very exclusive duck clubs around the region, you know $5,000+ a year memberships, where there hasn't been a single duck eaten by a member in a generation. Some of these places even hire out resident chefs to cook them steak dinners at the lodge. I've always found it odd that a hunting club, where many animals are being killed on a daily and weekly basis, (in the case of a duck club, hundred of animals killed a week), would choose (and pay money) to serve domestic meats as their primary entrees. Duck hunting as a general pursuit, seems to have lost touch with the roots of hunting more than any other subset of hunting. I don't blame the people who have given it up one bit, though I hope what has happened to duck hunting doesn't happen to deer hunting. Duck hunting needs a renaissance, but I don't see that happening anytime soon. I'm terrible duck hunter (in fact, I'm ot even a duck hunter, I'm just a hunter who sometimes kills some ducks that fly over my head), but maybe that's a good thing because ducks are a lot of work.

Squirrels can take a lot of work, too. In fact, I completely burned myself out on Squirrels last year when I competed in the Squirrel cookoff. I spent so much time hunting, cleaning, skinning, brinig, marinating and cooking squirrels, that I have lost pretty much all interested in it. At least temporarily. (I did go opening day because it is a tradition and I did hunt 1 day while in WV over Christmas). So, I feel ya and I don't blame you one bit for swearing both off. If you are going to hunt them, do it right. If you're not going to do it right, hunt something else.

very good post Poser, the turd thing is a true compliment to your cooking ability, I perfected wing shooting and you have perfected cooking in my opinion

squirrel is by far my favorite wild game, rabbit is next, I can not wait to see your skills on these two critters

Living somewhere between this world and the other, Legends of the Fall

#3569002 - 01/30/14 10:07 PM Re: quail ln crockpot, help me [Re: Poser]
JimFromTN
8 Point

I don't blame the people who have given it up one bit, though I hope what has happened to duck hunting doesn't happen to deer hunting.

Actually, when I first started deer hunting over 25 years ago, I knew several people that hunted deer but did not eat the meat. They gave away every deer they killed. Of course, no one knew how to cook it which is why people thought that marinating it in Italian dressing was so great. Its why people soaked the meat in salt water. All the ways that you think are so offensive are a result of people trying to mask the flavor of the meat because no one knew how to cook it. Deer meat was rare to find 30 plus years ago. Our seasons did not become all that liberal until 10 years ago or less with the creation of unit L. I have been cooking deer for all of the years I have hunted it and in the beginning I made some dishes that the dogs literally would not eat. I had read about a recipe where you soak the meat in water and baking soda. The meat turned white and had absolutely no flavor. The worst part about that is that it was a little fawn that I had killed on opening day of bow season. It still had spots. The meat was pink like veal. Makes me want to pick up my bow again. Makes my mouth water and my heart pump a little faster just thinking about it.

I completely understand why the duck hunting clubs are the way they are. Ducking hunting is a blast but it takes allot of work to make waterfowl taste good. I would say that probably 90% of all water fowl shot are breasted out. I doubt the majority of that meat gets eaten. I don't know how many times I have walked out of a duck hunting area and had someone offer me all of their ducks or saw a pile of duck carcasses in the parking lot minus the breasts. Its al because no one knows how to cook it.

#3569084 - 01/31/14 12:36 AM Re: quail ln crockpot, help me [Re: TAFKAP]
BamaProud
12 Point

Loc: Shelby County, TN

Originally Posted By: TAFKAP
Grilled plucked dove is one of the finest game dinners I've eaten. I started doing it this past dove season, and I went into it hoping that it would be terrible and not worth the effort. It really was.

I bet I have plucked 10,000 doves in my life. Until about 5 years ago I had never even heard of "breasting" one out. When I was growing up mMany mornings after a dove hunt were spent fishing or shrimping while plucking doves. Doing it in a boat makes cleanup much easier. \:\)

#3569415 - 01/31/14 09:38 AM Re: quail ln crockpot, help me [Re: JimFromTN]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

I don't blame the people who have given it up one bit, though I hope what has happened to duck hunting doesn't happen to deer hunting.

Actually, when I first started deer hunting over 25 years ago, I knew several people that hunted deer but did not eat the meat. They gave away every deer they killed. Of course, no one knew how to cook it which is why people thought that marinating it in Italian dressing was so great. Its why people soaked the meat in salt water. All the ways that you think are so offensive are a result of people trying to mask the flavor of the meat because no one knew how to cook it. Deer meat was rare to find 30 plus years ago. Our seasons did not become all that liberal until 10 years ago or less with the creation of unit L. I have been cooking deer for all of the years I have hunted it and in the beginning I made some dishes that the dogs literally would not eat. I had read about a recipe where you soak the meat in water and baking soda. The meat turned white and had absolutely no flavor. The worst part about that is that it was a little fawn that I had killed on opening day of bow season. It still had spots. The meat was pink like veal. Makes me want to pick up my bow again. Makes my mouth water and my heart pump a little faster just thinking about it.

I completely understand why the duck hunting clubs are the way they are. Ducking hunting is a blast but it takes allot of work to make waterfowl taste good. I would say that probably 90% of all water fowl shot are breasted out. I doubt the majority of that meat gets eaten. I don't know how many times I have walked out of a duck hunting area and had someone offer me all of their ducks or saw a pile of duck carcasses in the parking lot minus the breasts. Its al because no one knows how to cook it.

I definitely agree with regards to cooking venison. That's why I laugh sometimes when people say things like "My grandaddy taught me to always put deer meat in salt water to get the blood out." Its like, yeah, no disrespect, but your grandaddy didn't know much about deer meat. Seeing, much less killing a deer was a rare event. They didn't know what to do with it. Cooking venison in much of America is a relatively "new" art simply because 2-3 generations didn't have any deer to cook with.

Page 3 of 3 <123

Moderator:  gtk, Bobby G, RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Crappie Luck, Mrs.Unicam 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
3 registered (Daniel Willoughby, TX300mag, woodyard) and 69 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.008 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.