Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#3565976 - 01/29/14 05:29 AM Re: quail ln crockpot, help me [Re: BamaProud]
BamaProud
12 Point

Loc: Shelby County, TN

content Online
^although that has nothing to do with a Crockpot...so I'm probably no help.

Edited by BamaProud (01/29/14 05:29 AM)

#3566026 - 01/29/14 06:59 AM Re: quail ln crockpot, help me [Re: Chaneylake]
WMAn
8 Point

Loc: Williamson County

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Chaneylake
 Originally Posted By: Poser
Cook it the same way you cook dove and you'll be fine. Its a fattier bird, so less can go wrong.

(cream of mushroom soup gets no comment, out of respect, of course \:\) -no one else gets a pass, though)

the no comment confuses me, what would you do, you can not hurt my feelings, lol, just ask Andrew, lol again

you have to understand, I do not know how to cook, but I can read directions

Cream of mushroom soup falls under Poser's Seven Deadly Sins of The Culinary Arts.

1. Referring to any food that is not prepared with fire and smoke as BBQ
2. Using italian dressing for anything
3. Soaking venison in water or salt water for any reason
4. Removing the skin from game birds
5. Liquid smoke
6. Cream of mushroom soup
7. Mention of the words "tough" or "gamey" when referring to any cut of wild game

Cream of mushroom soup harkens back to the 50s and 60s when food processors (Campbell's Soup) in an effort to sale more junk told home cooks that the stuff from a can is better and easier. It's not, better or easier.

Cream of mushroom soup is made with cheap ingredients and uses huge amounts of salt to cover up its shortcomings. You can do better yourself with a little cream and mushrooms. Start here Google - homemade cream of mushroom soup

Now, truth be told, cream of mushroom soup in a crock pot can be tasty and will probably turn out pretty good. Chaney, if you're wanting to learn more about cooking try http://www.cookscountry.com/ . You can get all the recipes from this season's tv show for free. Cooks Country really helped accelerate my learning curve.

#3566139 - 01/29/14 08:30 AM Re: quail ln crockpot, help me [Re: BamaProud]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: BamaProud
This is what I would do.

Spatchcock the quail:
http://homecooking.about.com/od/poultry/ss/how-to-spatchcock-chicken-step-by-step.htm

Salt/pepper the quail. Set them aside.

Heat 2 large Cast Iron skillets Add a tablespoon of butter and some finely chopped Celery, Carrots and Onion, to the skillet on medium to high heat, cook until tender.

Place the quail in the same skillet with a little peanut oil and butter, then put the other (hot) skillet on top of the quail so you are cooking on both sides. Leave it alone for about 2 mins(there will be smoke).

Remove the quail, set aside for a few minutes.

Add about 1/4 cup white wine and 1/4 cup dark beer to the skillet with the veggies, scrape all the bits off the bottom of the pan.

Return the quail to the pan. Add some tarragon and other fresh herbs return to low/medium heat and cook until tender.

You should be fork tender after about 20-30 mins.

That should be great with wild rice...maybe not falling off the bone, but it should be very tender. You can cook pretty much anything "falling off the bone tender" if you cook it long enough, but you can also turn it into mushy mess.

If you want the Creamy consistency as suggested in your original post, I would omit the beer and add 1/2 cup Heavy Cream.

Sounds good.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3566950 - 01/29/14 05:28 PM Re: quail ln crockpot, help me [Re: WMAn]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: WMAn
Cook it the same way you cook dove and you'll be fine. Its a fattier bird, so less can go wrong.

(cream of mushroom soup gets no comment, out of respect, of course \:\) -no one else gets a pass, though)

the no comment confuses me, what would you do, you can not hurt my feelings, lol, just ask Andrew, lol again

you have to understand, I do not know how to cook, but I can read directions

Cream of mushroom soup falls under Poser's Seven Deadly Sins of The Culinary Arts.

1. Referring to any food that is not prepared with fire and smoke as BBQ
2. Using italian dressing for anything
3. Soaking venison in water or salt water for any reason
5. Liquid smoke
6. Cream of mushroom soup
7. Mention of the words "tough" or "gamey" when referring to any cut of wild game

Cream of mushroom soup harkens back to the 50s and 60s when food processors (Campbell's Soup) in an effort to sale more junk told home cooks that the stuff from a can is better and easier. It's not, better or easier.

Cream of mushroom soup is made with cheap ingredients and uses huge amounts of salt to cover up its shortcomings. You can do better yourself with a little cream and mushrooms. Start here Google - homemade cream of mushroom soup

Now, truth be told, cream of mushroom soup in a crock pot can be tasty and will probably turn out pretty good. Chaney, if you're wanting to learn more about cooking try http://www.cookscountry.com/ . You can get all the recipes from this season's tv show for free. Cooks Country really helped accelerate my learning curve.

Might have to codify those 7 deadly sins

#3567510 - 01/29/14 10:57 PM Re: quail ln crockpot, help me [Re: redblood]
redblood
16 Point

Loc: Lewisburg

content Online
 Originally Posted By: redblood
the crockpot quail over rice sounds pretty darn good. the flavor of quail is one type of wild game that very few folks try to "camo". best there is in my book, by far

#3567513 - 01/29/14 11:10 PM Re: quail ln crockpot, help me [Re: redblood]
Chaneylake
Brownsville Mafia
16 Point

Loc: on the wings of a snow white d...

the crockpot quail over rice sounds pretty darn good. the flavor of quail is one type of wild game that very few folks try to "camo". best there is in my book, by far

I kept the meal simple since I am not a finished cooker of foods, I did the quail and creame of mushroom soup in crock pot, it was good but the gal sharing dinner was far better

I will make better plans on the next batch of birds

Living somewhere between this world and the other, Legends of the Fall

#3567863 - 01/30/14 10:24 AM Re: quail ln crockpot, help me [Re: Chaneylake]
John3
4 Point

Loc: West TN

Just because you said your feelings can't be hurt: who'd you get to shoot Those quail for you since you couldn't hit them? Lol

Edited by John3 (01/30/14 10:25 AM)

#3568108 - 01/30/14 01:30 PM Re: quail ln crockpot, help me [Re: Poser]
JimFromTN
8 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

If anyone is interested in a spring snow goose hunt, poser is doing the plucking. Talking about carpel tunnel.

Does this include doves as well?

How about rubbery and awful?

Edited by JimFromTN (01/30/14 01:36 PM)

#3568135 - 01/30/14 01:48 PM Re: quail ln crockpot, help me [Re: JimFromTN]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: JimFromTN

If anyone is interested in a spring snow goose hunt, poser is doing the plucking. Talking about carpel tunnel.

Does this include doves as well?

How about rubbery and awful?

Actually, snow geese are one of the few birds that should be skinned. Their skin doesn't taste very good. Snow geese themselves take a fair amount of work to make tasty, but it can be done.

As for "rubbery" and "awful", that would be the fault of the cook, not the meat ;\)

#3568201 - 01/30/14 02:34 PM Re: quail ln crockpot, help me [Re: Poser]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Loc: Memphis

Grilled plucked dove is one of the finest game dinners I've eaten. I started doing it this past dove season, and I went into it hoping that it would be terrible and not worth the effort. It really was.

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  Bobby G, RUGER, Unicam, gtk, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Crappie Luck, Mrs.Unicam 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
UTRok16, ljhhunt3, perchjerkin, camohunter3, mtd
13273 Registered Users
Who's Online
116 registered (turf08, ldsjimk, southernhunter, Bowhunter23, Sharecropper, dmonty, 13 invisible) and 140 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13273 Members
42 Forums
93113 Topics
1088242 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.187 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.