Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#3557269 - 01/22/14 04:11 PM QDMA Whitetail Summit to Address Declining Herds
gil1
12 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

QDMA to Convene First-Ever Whitetail Summit to Address Declining Deer Herds and Other Threats

Declining deer herds and other threats to North America’s deer-hunting heritage will be the focus of the first-ever North American Whitetail Summit being convened by QDMA, March 3-6, at Big Cedar Lodge in Branson, Missouri.

“Whitetail numbers are down throughout much of their range due to many factors including EHD, predators, and even over-harvest,” said QDMA CEO and wildlife biologist Brian Murphy. “In some areas, herds are below what the habitat can support and what provides a quality hunting experience. This is a serious issue with significant long-term implications for the future of deer hunting.”

In response to this and other alarming trends, QDMA is convening a first-of-its-kind Whitetail Summit and inviting leaders and stakeholders from the entire whitetail community, including deer hunters, state and federal agencies, conservation organizations, the hunting industry, media, universities, and landowners. The goal of the summit is to identify key challenges to the future of deer hunting and to begin addressing them one-by-one through industry-wide cooperation, within the context of the North American Model of Wildlife Conservation.

Numerous representatives of stakeholder groups have already committed to attend, and featured speakers will include internationally acclaimed conservationist Shane Mahoney; Dan Ashe, Director of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service; and Dan Forster, President of the Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies. Congressman Paul Ryan of Wisconsin, a deer hunter and former Vice Presidential candidate, will address Whitetail Summit attendees through a video message. The Whitetail Summit is co-sponsored by QDMA, Bass Pro Shops and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, with additional support from the National Shooting Sports Foundation, the Missouri Department of Conservation and numerous other companies, agencies and organizations.

“Whitetail hunters have had it extremely good for a long time, but there are many challenges ahead that will require cooperation and hard work,” said Murphy. “The Whitetail Summit is the first step in this process.”

Whitetail Summit attendance is limited. For more information on attending, please visit: http://www.qdma.com/corporate/qdmas-whitetail-summit

About QDMA
QDMA is dedicated to ensuring the future of white-tailed deer, wildlife habitat and our hunting heritage. Founded in 1988, QDMA is a national nonprofit wildlife conservation organization with more than 50,000 members in all 50 states and Canada. To learn more about QDMA and why it is the future of deer hunting, call 800-209-3337 or visit http://www.QDMA.com. QDMA can also be found on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/TheQDMA and Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/TheQDMA.

Media members wishing to join QDMA’s Media Network can contact Tanner Tedeschi at tanner@qdma.com. If you are already subscribed to the Media Network but wish to be unsubscribed from the list, please inform Tanner and you will be removed.

Dr. Saxton Pope

#3557303 - 01/22/14 04:41 PM Re: QDMA Whitetail Summit to Address Declining Herds [Re: gil1]
smstone22
16 Point

Loc: Allardt, TN

Very nice.

#3557383 - 01/22/14 06:05 PM Re: QDMA Whitetail Summit to Address Declining Herds [Re: smstone22]
Frank G
8 Point

Loc: Hardin Co, TN Pickwick Lake

Any of our TWRA guys joining in?

#3557842 - 01/23/14 07:43 AM Re: QDMA Whitetail Summit to Address Declining Herds [Re: Frank G]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

I'm a tad dubious about this "symposium." But I'll wait until I hear the consensus before I comment further.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3557938 - 01/23/14 08:47 AM Re: QDMA Whitetail Summit to Address Declining Herds [Re: BSK]
BigGameGuy
TWRA Biologist
12 Point

Loc: Nashville

First i even heard about it. I shall wait to comment as well.

#3558065 - 01/23/14 10:22 AM Re: QDMA Whitetail Summit to Address Declining Herds [Re: BigGameGuy]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

Loc: Franklin County

I wasn't aware that deer numbers were in a decline other than a possible normal fluctuation?? \:\(
#3558702 - 01/23/14 08:30 PM Re: QDMA Whitetail Summit to Address Declining Herds [Re: Hunter 257W]
BigGameGuy
TWRA Biologist
12 Point

Loc: Nashville

We're not experiencing significant regional declines in any of our big game species.

#3558722 - 01/23/14 08:43 PM Re: QDMA Whitetail Summit to Address Declining Herds [Re: BigGameGuy]
smstone22
16 Point

Loc: Allardt, TN

It seems to be mostly Midwestern states where all of the concern from what I've been seeing. MN DNR is getting tons of flack. Im really only concerned with turkeys here.

#3558847 - 01/23/14 11:28 PM Re: QDMA Whitetail Summit to Address Declining Herds [Re: smstone22]
CAW
6 Point

Loc: Huntsville, AL

"Whitetail numbers are down throughout much of their range..."

I'd like to see the data on that.

QDMA better be careful with statements and events like this. On the surface, it looks like a fundraiser. If whitetail numbers are in fact on the decline in the Midwest, then that's what they should say. To say whitetail numbers are down "throughout much of their range" is one heck of a statement that they better back up with some data.

#3559024 - 01/24/14 07:35 AM Re: QDMA Whitetail Summit to Address Declining Herds [Re: CAW]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: CAW
"Whitetail numbers are down throughout much of their range..."

I'd like to see the data on that.

QDMA better be careful with statements and events like this. On the surface, it looks like a fundraiser.

And THAT is why I'm dubious. Can anyone say "The sky is falling!"? Now I'm not discounting anything. But I want to see the data.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

Page 1 of 4 1234>

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
swampdonkey83, chrisp711, DEH20, tomtalker, jg12
13193 Registered Users
Who's Online
11 registered (mossyoakmantn, Paul Burns, a baggett, Lady's man, Hillbilly Hunter, Marion deer hunter, 1 invisible) and 52 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13193 Members
42 Forums
91312 Topics
1067416 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.044 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.