Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#3556016 - 01/21/14 07:22 PM Honey Suckle
Bone Collector
14 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

I know some are going to disagree with me because it is an invasive species, but i have done some research and read good things about introducing it in areas of your property.

Problem is, where do you get it aside, from finding a plant and transplanting?

Also if you do find a plant I read were some sell "clippings" on e-bay.

what do you clip?

“There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim.”
General James Mattis

#3556078 - 01/21/14 07:49 PM Re: Honey Suckle [Re: Bone Collector]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Wherever you want it, start stretching some wire between posts or trees. Birds will land on the wire and deposit the seeds. This is part of why you see it so much along fence rows.
#3556083 - 01/21/14 07:50 PM Re: Honey Suckle [Re: Bone Collector]
Boll Weevil
8 Point

Loc: Hardeman

No disagreement here; plant it whenever/wherever you can. Pluck the little purplish black berries off to plant in places that they can climb with good sunlight like hedgerows and the edges of brush piles.
#3556896 - 01/22/14 11:01 AM Re: Honey Suckle [Re: Boll Weevil]
Doskil
6 Point

Loc: NC USA

Bush honeysuckle or vine honeysuckle?
#3556971 - 01/22/14 12:09 PM Re: Honey Suckle [Re: Doskil]
Boll Weevil
8 Point

Loc: Hardeman

Originally Posted By: Doskil
Bush honeysuckle or vine honeysuckle?

Yes.

#3557042 - 01/22/14 01:02 PM Re: Honey Suckle [Re: Boll Weevil]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

You definitely do NOT want bush honeysuckle. It is not used much by any wildlife. Now the vine Japanese honeysuckle can be a useful winter food source for deer. The problem is, if you have deer, establishing honeysuckle is extremely difficult (because they eat it all). In fact, honeysuckle vine is so invasive and ubiquitous, that if you DON'T have it, it's probably because you have too many deer for the current winter food sources available. Increase other natural food sources, and/or decrease the deer density, and suddenly Japanese honeysuckle will appear.

Japanese honeysuckle vine is an excellent "indicator" plant in most of TN. If deer density is matched will with winter food sources, you will have Japanese honeysuckle. If you DON'T have Japanese honeysuckle, you most likely have too many deer for the current winter food sources.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3557146 - 01/22/14 02:21 PM Re: Honey Suckle [Re: BSK]
Bone Collector
14 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

Originally Posted By: BSK
You definitely do NOT want bush honeysuckle. It is not used much by any wildlife. Now the vine Japanese honeysuckle can be a useful winter food source for deer. The problem is, if you have deer, establishing honeysuckle is extremely difficult (because they eat it all). In fact, honeysuckle vine is so invasive and ubiquitous, that if you DON'T have it, it's probably because you have too many deer for the current winter food sources available. Increase other natural food sources, and/or decrease the deer density, and suddenly Japanese honeysuckle will appear.

Japanese honeysuckle vine is an excellent "indicator" plant in most of TN. If deer density is matched will with winter food sources, you will have Japanese honeysuckle. If you DON'T have Japanese honeysuckle, you most likely have too many deer for the current winter food sources.

Funny you mention that. I smelled it in April of last year along the fence row. I want to move some into other areas. I need to find it, but it seems like it disappears fast.

Japanese Honeysuckle is the one with the flowers that you can pull the center piece out of and suck on it and it tastes like honey, right?

What do you cut off to transplant it?

“There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim.”
General James Mattis

#3557838 - 01/23/14 07:39 AM Re: Honey Suckle [Re: Bone Collector]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Bone Collector
Japanese Honeysuckle is the one with the flowers that you can pull the center piece out of and suck on it and it tastes like honey, right?

Correct.

Quote:
What do you cut off to transplant it?

If you really want to put out the effort, you can cut a bunch of it and just lightly disk the sections into the ground where you want it (having moist soil helps with rapid rooting). I've even seen people cut sections and keep them in wet newspaper in sunlight until the sections begin to root before planting. However, the biggest problem is deer eating every little sprig that sprouts. If honeysuckle doesn't exist naturally, the browse pressure keeping it from existing is the real problem, and planted sprigs will need protection to become established. I've seen "tents" of chicken wire used to protect the growing honeysuckle. This allows the honeysuckle to become established, and protects the plant a foot or two off the ground, but allows deer to eat the excess that grows beyond the wire.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3557848 - 01/23/14 07:46 AM Re: Honey Suckle [Re: BSK]
BlountArrow
10 Point

Loc: SouthEast Tenn

It's interesting to hear of people actually wanting to establish Jap Honeysuckle. I guess the areas I hunt have just never been void of it. As a matter of fact, a TWRA biologist last year recommended I spray a good portion of mine back and kill it. I have not done so. I think it could be a good idea if I was further along down the road in my "habitat rejuvenation plan", but I'm not there yet. After reading posts since then, I think maybe some biologists tend to down play or not appreciate the importance honey suckle can play as a winter food source. That's just my opinion from what I've read. Still though, it baffles me a little to see a post about trying to introduce honey suckle \:\) for reasons previously stated. Good luck though; I just can't imagine it being very difficult to introduce to your property.

#3557929 - 01/23/14 08:43 AM Re: Honey Suckle [Re: BlountArrow]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: BlountArrow
It's interesting to hear of people actually wanting to establish Jap Honeysuckle. I guess the areas I hunt have just never been void of it. As a matter of fact, a TWRA biologist last year recommended I spray a good portion of mine back and kill it. I have not done so. I think it could be a good idea if I was further along down the road in my "habitat rejuvenation plan", but I'm not there yet. After reading posts since then, I think maybe some biologists tend to down play or not appreciate the importance honey suckle can play as a winter food source. That's just my opinion from what I've read. Still though, it baffles me a little to see a post about trying to introduce honey suckle \:\) for reasons previously stated. Good luck though; I just can't imagine it being very difficult to introduce to your property.

Some biologists are very anti honeysuckle, simply because it's non-native and can be very invasive. However, I'm more neutral if not positive about it. In some circumstances, for a winter food source, it's better than most other natural food sources.

In large sections of the western Highland Rim (expansive forests), deer have eaten all of it away. In those circumstances, you won't be able to establish it due to deer browse pressure. But in these areas, if enough timber is thinned allowing sunlight to hit the ground over a large enough area, honeysuckle will "magically" appear all on its own.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
bootsinsand, bigun714, clh200, tlwilliams, Forvols
13179 Registered Users
Who's Online
97 registered (missalot, Tennessee Lead, Master Chief, savageman, Woodchuck, huntintn, 12 invisible) and 118 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13179 Members
42 Forums
90945 Topics
1062677 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.062 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.