Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#3528511 - 01/03/14 12:40 AM Re: 14" wide sinkhole [Re: Crosshairy]
Rob R.
12 Point

Loc: Collierville TN.

I know I'm late to this dance but is the hole on the same side of your house as the utilities?(gas or electrical meter) What age is your home? I see your in Bartlett. City of Bartlett's engineering dept. might be of some assistance to you.

Patron Member of the National Rifle Association Of America

#3540886 - 01/10/14 03:43 PM Re: 14" wide sinkhole [Re: Rob R.]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

Rob...good questions, and I've thought about the utilities too - (since vapor could cause erosion just like water).

The answer is yes - it's about 10-12 feet from the meters on the side of my house.

Thanks for the replies thus far. I've been absolutely snowed under (no pun intended) at work lately, so I haven't even thought about this issue until today.

#3553363 - 01/19/14 08:55 PM Re: 14" wide sinkhole [Re: Crosshairy]
Inkstainz
14 Point

Loc: Memphis, Tennessee

Sounds like you may want to get on the horn with somebody
#3606383 - 03/03/14 09:43 PM Re: 14" wide sinkhole [Re: Inkstainz]
TNlandowner
6 Point

Loc: Carroll County

Wow, I'm very happy to have found this topic. After a recent 3" rain, I found a 18" diameter sink hole, 3' deep....

Fortunately, it's not near a house or any structure. It's in a spot where two valley's meet. My guess is an underground stream is to blame...

Should I call a soil scientist?

"Whom shall I send, and who will go for Us?" Then I said, "Here am I. Send me!"

Isaiah 6:8

#3612862 - 03/11/14 09:02 AM Re: 14" wide sinkhole [Re: TNlandowner]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

TNlandowner, is this just out on your property somewhere? Gullies and wash-outs are not uncommon, especially in areas where there are trees (it's likely to be an erosion problem made worse by a void space left from a tree rootball being pulled up in the past.

As an update to my situation, the City of Bartlett engineering department sent someone out THE SAME DAY as my call, just to look the area over. In a very odd coincidence, they found some sinkholes along the back of my property line that I didn't even realize were there - they looked like spots under the fence where my neighbor's dog had been digging. they were unrelated to the sinkhole I called about, which was even more strange. The city employee did some checking on older drawings, and found that the first sinkhole (the one I had called about) was in the area of utility lines (gas & electric). The other sinkholes along the property line in the back were along a shared sewer line.

So in an ironic twist of fate, Bartlett took care of the sink holes on the sewer line that were unrelated to my initial concern. They also did testing of the first sinkhole to find out whether it drained into a sewer or not (just to be sure). Ultimately, it was ruled that the first sinkhole was part of a relatively common issue of water channeling alongside utility lines (the water uses the void spaces around utility lines as "highways" and picks up dirt along the way).

The guys gave me some sand and sod to help out with the sinkhole, even though it technically wasn't their responsibility. They also spent a lot of extra effort taking care of my yard in the back yard, pruning back my rose bush, and carefully relocating it, so that it wasn't damaged due to the sewer line work. Afterwards, they did a great job of sodding the area.

The whole ordeal has certainly left me with a good feeling about the quality of service that Bartlett provides its citizens. Now I just need to figure out whether extra effort needs to be made around this utility line issue. I guess I'm going to call MLGW (oh joy) to see if they provide any service to help address these problems.

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  TeamTndeer, Cuttin Caller, Unicam, RUGER, Bobby G, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
OfficerBuck, rapalabuck, medic2fpc, MachDR, pop
13308 Registered Users
Who's Online
143 registered (turf08, ultra mag, chris1976, bowhunter163, grolfesst, Rebels20, 16 invisible) and 201 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13308 Members
42 Forums
93987 Topics
1097944 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.1 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.