#3548625 - 01/16/14 07:57 AM Re: rabbits without dogs [Re: tailchaser]
woodsman87
8 Point

Loc: south TN

Originally Posted By: tailchaser
 Originally Posted By: duckriver
What do they taste like?

Rabbit, their kinda like squirrel.

IMO, rabbits are one of the best wild game meat there is, while to me, squiirrel is low on the list

#3548753 - 01/16/14 09:20 AM Re: rabbits without dogs [Re: tailchaser]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

content Online
 Originally Posted By: tailchaser
 Originally Posted By: duckriver
What do they taste like?

Rabbit, their kinda like squirrel.

Nah. Squirrel is white meat. Rabbit is sort of in between red and white meat.
Squirrel has a much nuttier and earthy taste to it. Rabbit is very rich, like a red meat.
Rabbit is my wife's favorite game meat.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3548765 - 01/16/14 09:32 AM Re: rabbits without dogs [Re: Poser]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

content Online
Another thing about hunting without dogs, as someone pointed out above, is that you often end up shooting the rabbits in the rear since they are running away from you. This often does not lead to a instant death and, you do not want to shoot them a second time. This being the case, know that rabbits have a soft head. I usually snatch them by their feet and whack their heads against a tree which delivers a instant and (under the circumstances) most humane death while preserving as much meat as possible.

As a result, you will often end up with (at least partially) gut shot rabbits and, if this is the case, you should gut them immediately. If you can help it, never shoot a rabbit twice!

Shot size: I like #5 for rabbit, though that can be an oddball size and often not so easy to find. If a choice between #4 and #6, I'll go #4. #6 is too many pellets. The more pellets, the more prone to teeth cracking.

#3548821 - 01/16/14 10:11 AM Re: rabbits without dogs [Re: Poser]
WMAn
8 Point

Loc: Williamson County

Poser's advice on how to do it is spot on. Another thing is listen carefully. I've often heard a rabbit twitch as I approach his hiding spot before he busts from the cover and offers a shot.

I also prefer extremely cold days. The colder the better. Extreme cold seems to concentrate rabbits in areas offering thermal cover.

My favorite areas to hunt without dogs are abandoned pastures that are now a mixture of grass, weeds, briers, and cedar trees. I look for areas where the cover is somewhat scattered. Think clumps with open spots between. This makes it easier to predict where the rabbits will be and gives a reasonable chance at a shot.

Be quiet, move slowly, and sometimes if a rabbit catches you unawares he will stop twenty or thirty yards away and offer a sitting shot.

#3548908 - 01/16/14 11:25 AM Re: rabbits without dogs [Re: WMAn]
duckriver
8 Point

Loc: River Bottom

content Online
Guess I shouldn't use my 7 1/2 shot then

#3549050 - 01/16/14 01:05 PM Re: rabbits without dogs [Re: duckriver]
Mud Creek
4 Point

Loc: Mid TN

Brother you aint had a meal until.youve grilled a rabbits backstraps!!!! I.cant give my recipe away but if it dont taste better than a baby back ribill never shoot another!!!! Im not a big fsn of.back legs their ok but i usually take straps out and give rest to my neighbor whose too old to hunt much but loves to eat em. Buddy of mines wife puts in crockpot its about like a bbq sandwich!
#3550170 - 01/17/14 09:16 AM Re: rabbits without dogs [Re: Mud Creek]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

content Online
I can't tell you how many kick-em-up rabbits I've missed out on because my arms were tired from walking around in the "ready" position for 2 hours, so I slung my gun over my shoulder for a rest.

If you get tired like that, stop for a break. Don't keep hunting/walking, because you won't be able to shoot anything anyway unless your gun is cradled and ready. On the really, really good looking spots, I literally approach the cover with my gun stock nestled against my shoulder to make the aim/shoot process even faster.

Try to lead their nose by a few inches on the chance that you get a sideways flush, but like others said, 75-90% of the jumps I get are nearly straight-aways.

Buddy hunting is a lot of fun if you just approach stuff at 90-degree angles (you can take turns taking steps, too). This greatly increases the likelihood that one of you will get a side-to-side shot opportunity.

#3550327 - 01/17/14 10:40 AM Re: rabbits without dogs [Re: Crosshairy]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

content Online
I agree with everything Crosshairy said. If I get the feeling that I am moving on prime rabbit habitat, I have my gun at the ready, often will flip the safety off. Though, seldom, if ever, does it work out that way as you'll almost never jump a rabbit when you expect to. I, too, have got "caught with my pants down" many times by losing focus and not having my gun ready. A 2 point tactical sling would almost be ideal for helping you to keep your gun immediately accessible.

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Cuttin Caller, Bobby G, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Litemup80, five by five, Doe1961, OfficerBuck, rapalabuck
13311 Registered Users
Who's Online
117 registered (mrjim43, rooney, bjohnson, TN Whitetail Freak, Rubberduck270, Gravey, 16 invisible) and 150 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13311 Members
42 Forums
94136 Topics
1099966 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.103 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.