Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#3546212 - 01/14/14 12:34 PM Duck - Skin On or Skin Off
thetoolman
8 Point

Loc: Charlotte, Tennessee

So I had some fresh duck breasts from Sunday and this being my second go around with duck I tried something a little different. I took two ducks and one I plucked the breasts and cut them out with the skin on, the other I cut the breasts out with the skin off. Cooked in the same skillet to Medium with a little Garlic Salt and Savory Duck Rub. The skin on was more tender and had quite a bit more flavor. The skin itself was a little chewy. Either way for my second go around at duck it far surpasses everything I have ever been told about duck. It is pretty dang tasty.

But it is hard as crap to get all those tiny little feathers off.

"Vegetarian" old Indian word for Bad Hunter

http://www.completepctherapy.com

#3546344 - 01/14/14 02:17 PM Re: Duck - Skin On or Skin Off [Re: thetoolman]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Skin on is the ONLY way to go. It has fat, it protects the meat. There are many, many duck dishes that you simply cannot make unless there is skin on the meat.

How to make your duck look like you bought it at the grocery:

You need paraffin wax (canning wax), a pot of hot water, a pot of cold water

Give your bird a feather pluck, but leave the down (very important).
Plucking the feathers on a whole duck takes about 5-10 minutes depending on how good you are at it. Pluck the wings out to the joint and then snap them off.
Now you have a duck with only its down coat in place.

Drop a bar of paraffin wax into the hot water. it melts and stays on the surface.

Holding the duck by its feet, deep it thoroughly in the wax coated water. You now have a duck covered in hot wax.

Dunk the bird in the cold water which sets the wax. You now have a duck covered in solidified wax.

Give the carcass a little twist which cracks the wax and then, in small pieces, begin removing the wax in a peeling motion. When it comes off, it takes the down with it.

You are left with a duck that looks like it came from the grocery store. It has all of its skin. You can gut it, and keep whole ducks for roasting and smoking. You can breast them with the skin on and keep the legs and wings (skin on) for cooking.

Be sure to save any and all fat + extra pieces of skin. Render it down and you have rendered duck fat ($20 a lbs) that you can cook your ducks in, fry french fries and make duck confit with and do all kinds of ridiculous and simple luxury eating that would cost $$$ if you were buying the ingredients.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3546356 - 01/14/14 02:29 PM Re: Duck - Skin On or Skin Off [Re: Poser]
WMAn
8 Point

Loc: Williamson County

The eight deadly sin is consuming poultry, game birds, and fowl skinless!

#3546474 - 01/14/14 04:12 PM Re: Duck - Skin On or Skin Off [Re: WMAn]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

So how much wax to you burn through with that approach? Actually, I guess you could drop all that crap back in the hot water, re-melt it, then scoop off the feathers with a strainer/colander, right?

The wax/hot water might get messy after a few rounds of that, but otherwise it seems like you'd run through some wax pretty quick.

#3546484 - 01/14/14 04:22 PM Re: Duck - Skin On or Skin Off [Re: thetoolman]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Loc: Memphis

Originally Posted By: thetoolman
So I had some fresh duck breasts from Sunday and this being my second go around with duck I tried something a little different. I took two ducks and one I plucked the breasts and cut them out with the skin on, the other I cut the breasts out with the skin off. Cooked in the same skillet to Medium with a little Garlic Salt and Savory Duck Rub. The skin on was more tender and had quite a bit more flavor. The skin itself was a little chewy. Either way for my second go around at duck it far surpasses everything I have ever been told about duck. It is pretty dang tasty.

But it is hard as crap to get all those tiny little feathers off.

Absolutely, skin on. The "art" to perfectly seared duck breasts is getting the skillet hot enough for long enough to crisp the skin and render the fat underneath, without burning anything. It's delicious.

#3546487 - 01/14/14 04:25 PM Re: Duck - Skin On or Skin Off [Re: Crosshairy]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Originally Posted By: Crosshairy
So how much wax to you burn through with that approach? Actually, I guess you could drop all that crap back in the hot water, re-melt it, then scoop off the feathers with a strainer/colander, right?

The wax/hot water might get messy after a few rounds of that, but otherwise it seems like you'd run through some wax pretty quick.

Yes to all. I'm pretty new at this, and I used about 1 bar of wax for a mallard. I'd imagine as I get better, the wax usage will go down. The hardest part I've found has been trying to carefully peel wax away from around pellet holes without pulling skin off with it.

#3546501 - 01/14/14 04:37 PM Re: Duck - Skin On or Skin Off [Re: TAFKAP]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: TAFKAP

Yes to all. I'm pretty new at this, and I used about 1 bar of wax for a mallard. I'd imagine as I get better, the wax usage will go down. The hardest part I've found has been trying to carefully peel wax away from around pellet holes without pulling skin off with it.

Yes, 1 bar of wax per bird. If you are serious duck hunter, you buy paraffin wax in bulk.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3547477 - 01/15/14 12:02 PM Re: Duck - Skin On or Skin Off [Re: Poser]
chunkandwind
8 Point

Loc: mckenzie,tn

Nothing like a duck sandwich with crispy skin.

Keep calm and brew beer.
Grow Organic! I can show you how.

#3547781 - 01/15/14 03:49 PM Re: Duck - Skin On or Skin Off [Re: TAFKAP]
mike243
16 Point

Loc: east tn

Originally Posted By: TAFKAP

Chaney hasn't taught you how to head shoot them yet ? \:\)

#3547863 - 01/15/14 04:44 PM Re: Duck - Skin On or Skin Off [Re: mike243]
TAFKAP
14 Point

I've never pulled the trigger on a duck. I was odd man out the last time they went duck hunting, so when I got back from looking for deer, they gave me the birds they shot.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  gtk, Bobby G, RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Crappie Luck, Mrs.Unicam 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
1 registered (dfleming) and 47 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.009 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.