Page 3 of 3 <123
Topic Options
#3545154 - 01/13/14 05:51 PM Re: Do you wash/rinse game meat? [Re: Jmed]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: Jmed
There is no way you can fillet a mess of crappie and not get a scale or few on the fillets. I like to lay fillets in a deep pan and let the faucet roll them around to wash the scales out and over the top of the pan. No matter how hard I try, I can't get a deer ham from field to the butcher table without having a hair or two that I rinse off.

Thing is, the hair comes off easier when the meat is dry then when it is wet. If I have some hair on the meat, I wait until the surface of the meat has dried (2-3 days) and then remove it with no problem. (I realize you don't do this without a fridge for dry aging).

I recently took a similar approach with rabbits. Two of them had a bit of hair on them, so I let them sit in the fridge over night and let the skin dry out just a bit. Then the hair came right off, no problem. -not sure that I would leave rabbits out like this for more than 24 hours, though the British do actually "age" them with the fur intact.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3545572 - 01/13/14 09:52 PM Re: Do you wash/rinse game meat? [Re: Poser]
280longshot
8 Point

Loc: Tn, Tipton

My great grandfather was a butcher who taught my grandfather to never rinse a deer with water, so that's what I do.. Not sure why...
I have on rabbit,squirrels, etc..

#3545940 - 01/14/14 09:02 AM Re: Do you wash/rinse game meat? [Re: 280longshot]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

If I have a lot of hair on something, I will rinse it off, because hand-picking it is super annoying. As others have said, that also creates secondary work in patting stuff dry.

I rinse squirrels a lot because I always get hair all over them by accident. Fish are in water their whole lives, so I can't see how washing them off matters, plus any slime seems to be a detriment to the flavor if they get frozen (this is more applicable when I scale them with skin on, which I do pretty often).

As a previous poster said, I was always raised to freeze fish fillets in water with the air pushed out (poor man's vacuum sealer, I guess), so rinsing those has zero effect for me. For big game, I try to minimize water usage, but this typically means that the outside of a whole leg gets rinsed to remove any incidental debris, but the individual cuts essentially stay dry.

#3546005 - 01/14/14 09:44 AM Re: Do you wash/rinse game meat? [Re: 280longshot]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: 280longshot
My great grandfather was a butcher who taught my grandfather to never rinse a deer with water, so that's what I do.. Not sure why...
I have on rabbit,squirrels, etc..

I'd expect that he didn't use water on deer for the same reasons FDXX75 described. Though, the same does apply to small game.

For some reason people treat small game differently than big game. For example, imagine this scenario: You kill a deer. You stick it in your pocket ungutted and carry it around for the rest of the day. Maybe its hot. Maybe its real hot. You throw it in the back of your truck, drive home and, eventually, when you get around to it, you gut it.

That's the way many hunters treat small game, yet they'll swear up and down about the importance of gutting a deer immediately and getting the meat cool.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

Page 3 of 3 <123

Moderator:  Bobby G, RUGER, Unicam, gtk, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
PEhunter, Amy pesterfield, Blood seeker, fghijk604245, top_of_the_foodchain
13289 Registered Users
Who's Online
10 registered (paincave_2000, deerhunter10, Vermin93, TNDeerGuy, DNDHUNTAHOLIC88, Daniel n, 1 invisible) and 80 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13289 Members
42 Forums
85432 Topics
1032282 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.231 seconds in which 0.014 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.