Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#3538843 - 01/09/14 12:01 PM Re: IR flash questions [Re: huntinkev]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Originally Posted By: huntinkev
I do want a black flash in the future.

IMO, it's the only way to go with any new cams being used for deer hunting related purposes. But for pure photography purposes, traditional white flash, especially the new cams using white LED's, will provide much better nighttime images.

#3538940 - 01/09/14 01:08 PM Re: IR flash questions [Re: Wes Parrish]
Vermin93
12 Point

Loc: Dallas, TX & Signal Mtn, TN

Originally Posted By: Wes Parrish
 Originally Posted By: Vermin93
In my opinion, this is the best trail camera mount available today for the price. Only $10.

HME Tree Mount Trail Camera Holder

Have you tried the Spypoint MA-360?
You might like it even better, although not "for the money".

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Spypointr...ch-All+Products

Last year I purchased 16 Python locks keyed alike simply because it had become such a pain carrying so many different keys. But our cams may actually be more secure simply by never being seen.

These little screw-in cam arms keep the cam invisible on a typical tree when someone is behind the tree (unlike a cable lock). And you can mount them in places you cannot use a cable or strap very well if at all. Mounting beyond reach (and hard to notice) may be a more "secure" way of preventing human theft than even using a cable lock. I like to do both, and am constantly looking for new ways to place cams where Python cables won't work and/or humans wouldn't expect them to be.

I looked at that one because I own several Spypoint cameras and I'm familiar with the brand. However, for what I need it to do, $25 is way too much money for such a simple application. I was using Python locks even when I mounted my cameras up on the tree, but I've stopped buying new Python locks for the reason you mentioned - the more stuff you have wrapped around the tree, the easier it is to notice it.

#3538955 - 01/09/14 01:18 PM Re: IR flash questions [Re: BSK]
Vermin93
12 Point

Originally Posted By: BSK
One climbing stick and a lineman's belt is all you need to hang them and check them.

If I had to do that to set up a camera, I would quit using them!

But I do get your point. If I could only use IR cams, and I only used a coupe of them, I would certainly use that technique.

I made an investment to simplify the effort since I run a lot of cameras. I bought this climbing belt that is super easy to put on and take off and use. I use it for hanging and checking cameras, for hanging climbing sticks or tree steps, and for hanging hang-on treestands. I get a LOT of use out of it, so it was worth the money to me. It is a much simpler solution than using a regular treestand harness with a typical lineman's belt with a prussic knot.

Treehopper 3 in 1 Climbing Belt

With that Treehopper climbing belt and a single Lone Wolf climbing stick I can get up and down a tree very quickly to hang or check a camera. It's really not as much extra effort as it might seem. Put the belt on, strap the climbing stick to the tree, climb up 3 steps on the stick, pull the card, climb down, unstrap the climbing stick, and move on to the next camera site. If I'm checking multiple cameras I just leave the belt on until I'm done.

#3538962 - 01/09/14 01:23 PM Re: IR flash questions [Re: BUCKYJR]
Vermin93
12 Point

Originally Posted By: BUCKYJR
Good info guys. Thanks --still not sure which is better now...sell all my IR cams and buy one nice Black flash or try to mount my IR cams higher and go through that hassle! wow

How much do you typically spend on a red IR flash camera?

#3539284 - 01/09/14 04:35 PM Re: IR flash questions [Re: Vermin93]
BUCKYJR
6 Point

Loc: Cookeville, TN

Good info guys. Thanks --still not sure which is better now...sell all my IR cams and buy one nice Black flash or try to mount my IR cams higher and go through that hassle! wow

Well don't laugh at me, but I bought cheap so I wouldn't cry if one went missing... I have 3 Tascos and 1 WGI (all were $50 each). Granted by now, I could have probably bought one nice Black Flash but I like having several cams around if I can.

#3539306 - 01/09/14 04:45 PM Re: IR flash questions [Re: BUCKYJR]
Vermin93
12 Point

Well don't laugh at me, but I bought cheap so I wouldn't cry if one went missing... I have 3 Tascos and 1 WGI (all were $50 each). Granted by now, I could have probably bought one nice Black Flash but I like having several cams around if I can.

The price for black flash cameras keeps dropping as part of the natural evolution of technology. When they first came out you couldn't sniff one for under $200. A good black flash camera can now be purchased for $120 with free shipping and no sales tax. Some can be had for around $100 when they are on sale. I expect we'll see more black flash models introduced in 2014 and prices will continue to fall like they have done with red IR flash. I would keep the red IR cameras that you have and just get them hung 8 to 10 ft up on the tree so deer don't easily see them. Don't buy any more red IR flash cams. Save your money and look for good deals on reputable black flash cameras and buy one when you can afford it.

Edited by Vermin93 (01/09/14 04:46 PM)

#3539324 - 01/09/14 04:57 PM Re: IR flash questions [Re: Vermin93]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

I expect we'll see more black flash models introduced in 2014 and prices will continue to fall like they have done with red IR flash. I would keep the red IR cameras that you have and just get them hung 8 to 10 ft up on the tree so deer don't easily see them. Don't buy any more red IR flash cams. Save your money and look for good deals on reputable black flash cameras and buy one when you can afford it.

Sage advice. \:\)

I sure wish Reconyx would come out with more (a lot more) megapixels, and lower their prices. Well, doesn't hurt to wish.

#3539340 - 01/09/14 05:06 PM Re: IR flash questions [Re: Wes Parrish]
FIREMANJIM
4 Point

Loc: DECHERD, TN

And if your Blackflash does not give you enough FLASH DISTANCE I now offer Blackflash extenders that work wirelessly. TOTALLY AWESOME!!! I can make it work with any commercial blackflash cam too.

#3539362 - 01/09/14 05:16 PM Re: IR flash questions [Re: FIREMANJIM]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Originally Posted By: FIREMANJIM
And if your Blackflash does not give you enough FLASH DISTANCE I now offer Blackflash extenders that work wirelessly. TOTALLY AWESOME!!! I can make it work with any commercial blackflash cam too.

Jim,
That is AWESOME! \:\)
Can you couple it with a disabled red-flash?
Or a white-flash homebrew with the flash disabled?

You need to tell us more about these!

#3539734 - 01/09/14 08:09 PM Re: IR flash questions [Re: Wes Parrish]
FIREMANJIM
4 Point

Loc: DECHERD, TN

I have to go into the commercial cam and install a small control board and transmitter. Hooks into the positive and negative wires that go to the led array. When the commercial cam comes on and sends power to its array it also powers up the small control board and transmitter. Transmitter snnds signal to remote array and it comes on. Pretty simple actually. Probably voids the WARRANTY of course. But as we all know their warranties are not much anyway. As far as the white flash the camera has to flash because its flash is what signals the remote flash to fire. Both units work out to about 100 feet or so.

Page 2 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, gtk, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
piglet84, Bowfire985, TieCampBuckSlayer, ChuckNorris, Breesor1
13085 Registered Users
Who's Online
6 registered (gillis28, DirtyBear0311, alwaysoutdoors, ClubHead, JohnnyDollar, 1 invisible) and 59 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13085 Members
42 Forums
88245 Topics
1033841 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 5.264 seconds in which 0.012 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.