Tndeer Logo

Page all of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#3537124 - 01/08/14 11:51 AM IR flash questions
BUCKYJR
6 Point

Loc: Cookeville, TN

I'm sure this has been run in the ground, but I'm a little bummed about seeing all the posts about IR scaring deer away. I've not really noticed it on mine, but I'm concerned that maybe I just wouldn't know that a buck was spooked and just wont come back to my area for hunting b/c of my camera. If IR is all I can/want to pay for a trail cam, is there any tips to make it as less invasive to the deer? Does anyone actually use the self drill in steps and climb up to hang the camera-pointing down? OR would it be an idea to put tape over the LEDs and just focus on daytime movement? I really enjoy getting pics of deer/bucks w/ my cams, but I sure don't want to be scaring away the deer. thanks for your advice!
#3537286 - 01/08/14 01:36 PM Re: IR flash questions [Re: BUCKYJR]
DaveB
10 Point

Loc: Shelby County

I am gonna move all my cams quite a bit higher. Can't hurt.

I noticed two things this year: (1)nearly every buck disappeared off camera in October and off the lease in daylight [except for one big forkie, maybe a 6] right to season end. (2) Doe activity didn't change a bit.

Actually a third. my TR was gone by Thanksgiving and the does were eating the dirt right through end of season. I'm thinking I will keep a fresh TR year around.

#3537365 - 01/08/14 02:25 PM Re: IR flash questions [Re: DaveB]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: DaveB
Actually a third. my TR was gone by Thanksgiving and the does were eating the dirt right through end of season. I'm thinking I will keep a fresh TR year around.

That's actually good news DaveB. I run "unbaited" censuses during the hunting season because you can't run bait during the season (and also hunt). If your deer will use salt licks all year, this gives you a baited location to run cameras over that is legal during the season.

The only question I would want answered before I limited my camera locations to salt-licks during the season is whether older bucks will use the salt during the season. I would want to have cameras on scrapes before and during the rut to make sure older bucks weren't around but not using the salt. It is not at all uncommon to find sexual differentiation of bait usage. In essence, one sex is using the bait and the other sex is not. Or even differences within sex by age; i.e. young bucks will use bait but older bucks wont.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3537380 - 01/08/14 02:33 PM Re: IR flash questions [Re: BUCKYJR]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: BUCKYJR
I'm sure this has been run in the ground, but I'm a little bummed about seeing all the posts about IR scaring deer away. I've not really noticed it on mine, but I'm concerned that maybe I just wouldn't know that a buck was spooked and just wont come back to my area for hunting b/c of my camera.

And unfortunately, that's often what happens. It's pretty tough to quantify what you can't see (bucks avoiding cameras). I've had some truly bitter arguments with individuals on Talk Forums over this topic. They will go on and on about how they experience ZERO camera avoidance with white-flash or IR flash cameras, and make it quite clear that I'm full of it. However, once I get them to try a back-flash camera, within a few weeks either they come back and admit how wrong they were, or they simply vanish from the site because they're too embarrassed to admit how wrong they were.

Quote:
If IR is all I can/want to pay for a trail cam, is there any tips to make it as less invasive to the deer?

Best advice, mount them high and point them downwards. However, realize that is a pain in the butt, and will limit the trigger area of the camera. Often, some of best pictures are of mature bucks passing by in the background. A downward camera angle would miss those bucks.

But if my choices were IR mounted high and pointed downwards, or IR at ground level, I would choose high and pointed downwards, because of the greatly reduced camera avoidance.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3538288 - 01/09/14 12:50 AM Re: IR flash questions [Re: BUCKYJR]
Vermin93
12 Point

Loc: Dallas, TX & Signal Mtn, TN

My red IR flash cameras all get mounted 10 - 12 ft high and angled down over the target zone. One climbing stick and a lineman's belt is all you need to hang them and check them. There are many tail camera mounts that can be purchased to position the camera at the desired angle. Or, you can go cheap and try to use a stick or something to achieve the mounting angle that you need.

Here are some pics I posted last summer of some of my red IR flash cameras that I have on public land. Getting them up high on the tree gets them out of sight of deer, hunters and thieves. This is a great method to use when placing a camera to monitor a mineral site.

Mounting trail cams out of reach

In my opinion, this is the best trail camera mount available today for the price. Only $10.

HME Tree Mount Trail Camera Holder

Edited by Vermin93 (01/09/14 12:57 AM)

#3538475 - 01/09/14 07:40 AM Re: IR flash questions [Re: Vermin93]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Vermin93
One climbing stick and a lineman's belt is all you need to hang them and check them.

If I had to do that to set up a camera, I would quit using them!

But I do get your point. If I could only use IR cams, and I only used a coupe of them, I would certainly use that technique.

#3538624 - 01/09/14 09:33 AM Re: IR flash questions [Re: BSK]
BUCKYJR
6 Point

Originally Posted By: BSK
One climbing stick and a lineman's belt is all you need to hang them and check them.

But I do get your point. If I could only use IR cams, and I only used a coupe of them, I would certainly use that technique.

Good info guys. Thanks --still not sure which is better now...sell all my IR cams and buy one nice Black flash or try to mount my IR cams higher and go through that hassle! wow

#3538651 - 01/09/14 09:49 AM Re: IR flash questions [Re: BUCKYJR]
Master Chief
10 Point

Loc: Henderson County

sleepy Online

Good info guys. Thanks --still not sure which is better now...sell all my IR cams and buy one nice Black flash or try to mount my IR cams higher and go through that hassle! wow

How many and what kinds do you have? I'll take all of them \:D

"It's not whatcha got, it's what you give." -Tesla

"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."
-John Muir

#3538719 - 01/09/14 10:32 AM Re: IR flash questions [Re: Master Chief]
huntinkev
8 Point

Loc: East Tenn

I mounted mine high and angled down. It's about 8.5 - 9' up. I used the left over strap material and a stick to create my angle.

The last set of pictures I had at ground level in the second set of pics the doe was looking right at the Camera and I'm sure the red glow. The next pic was of her walking off.

I do want a black flash in the future.

#3538836 - 01/09/14 11:57 AM Re: IR flash questions [Re: Vermin93]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

In my opinion, this is the best trail camera mount available today for the price. Only $10.

Have you tried the Spypoint MA-360?
You might like it even better, although not "for the money".

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Spypointr...ch-All+Products

Last year I purchased 16 Python locks keyed alike simply because it had become such a pain carrying so many different keys. But our cams may actually be more secure simply by never being seen.

These little screw-in cam arms keep the cam invisible on a typical tree when someone is behind the tree (unlike a cable lock). And you can mount them in places you cannot use a cable or strap very well if at all. Mounting beyond reach (and hard to notice) may be a more "secure" way of preventing human theft than even using a cable lock. I like to do both, and am constantly looking for new ways to place cams where Python cables won't work and/or humans wouldn't expect them to be.

#3538843 - 01/09/14 12:01 PM Re: IR flash questions [Re: huntinkev]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Originally Posted By: huntinkev
I do want a black flash in the future.

IMO, it's the only way to go with any new cams being used for deer hunting related purposes. But for pure photography purposes, traditional white flash, especially the new cams using white LED's, will provide much better nighttime images.

#3538940 - 01/09/14 01:08 PM Re: IR flash questions [Re: Wes Parrish]
Vermin93
12 Point

Originally Posted By: Wes Parrish

Have you tried the Spypoint MA-360?
You might like it even better, although not "for the money".

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Spypointr...ch-All+Products

Last year I purchased 16 Python locks keyed alike simply because it had become such a pain carrying so many different keys. But our cams may actually be more secure simply by never being seen.

These little screw-in cam arms keep the cam invisible on a typical tree when someone is behind the tree (unlike a cable lock). And you can mount them in places you cannot use a cable or strap very well if at all. Mounting beyond reach (and hard to notice) may be a more "secure" way of preventing human theft than even using a cable lock. I like to do both, and am constantly looking for new ways to place cams where Python cables won't work and/or humans wouldn't expect them to be.

I looked at that one because I own several Spypoint cameras and I'm familiar with the brand. However, for what I need it to do, $25 is way too much money for such a simple application. I was using Python locks even when I mounted my cameras up on the tree, but I've stopped buying new Python locks for the reason you mentioned - the more stuff you have wrapped around the tree, the easier it is to notice it.

#3538955 - 01/09/14 01:18 PM Re: IR flash questions [Re: BSK]
Vermin93
12 Point

I made an investment to simplify the effort since I run a lot of cameras. I bought this climbing belt that is super easy to put on and take off and use. I use it for hanging and checking cameras, for hanging climbing sticks or tree steps, and for hanging hang-on treestands. I get a LOT of use out of it, so it was worth the money to me. It is a much simpler solution than using a regular treestand harness with a typical lineman's belt with a prussic knot.

Treehopper 3 in 1 Climbing Belt

With that Treehopper climbing belt and a single Lone Wolf climbing stick I can get up and down a tree very quickly to hang or check a camera. It's really not as much extra effort as it might seem. Put the belt on, strap the climbing stick to the tree, climb up 3 steps on the stick, pull the card, climb down, unstrap the climbing stick, and move on to the next camera site. If I'm checking multiple cameras I just leave the belt on until I'm done.

#3538962 - 01/09/14 01:23 PM Re: IR flash questions [Re: BUCKYJR]
Vermin93
12 Point

How much do you typically spend on a red IR flash camera?

#3539284 - 01/09/14 04:35 PM Re: IR flash questions [Re: Vermin93]
BUCKYJR
6 Point

Well don't laugh at me, but I bought cheap so I wouldn't cry if one went missing... I have 3 Tascos and 1 WGI (all were $50 each). Granted by now, I could have probably bought one nice Black Flash but I like having several cams around if I can.

#3539306 - 01/09/14 04:45 PM Re: IR flash questions [Re: BUCKYJR]
Vermin93
12 Point

Well don't laugh at me, but I bought cheap so I wouldn't cry if one went missing... I have 3 Tascos and 1 WGI (all were $50 each). Granted by now, I could have probably bought one nice Black Flash but I like having several cams around if I can.

The price for black flash cameras keeps dropping as part of the natural evolution of technology. When they first came out you couldn't sniff one for under $200. A good black flash camera can now be purchased for $120 with free shipping and no sales tax. Some can be had for around $100 when they are on sale. I expect we'll see more black flash models introduced in 2014 and prices will continue to fall like they have done with red IR flash. I would keep the red IR cameras that you have and just get them hung 8 to 10 ft up on the tree so deer don't easily see them. Don't buy any more red IR flash cams. Save your money and look for good deals on reputable black flash cameras and buy one when you can afford it.

Edited by Vermin93 (01/09/14 04:46 PM)

#3539324 - 01/09/14 04:57 PM Re: IR flash questions [Re: Vermin93]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

I expect we'll see more black flash models introduced in 2014 and prices will continue to fall like they have done with red IR flash. I would keep the red IR cameras that you have and just get them hung 8 to 10 ft up on the tree so deer don't easily see them. Don't buy any more red IR flash cams. Save your money and look for good deals on reputable black flash cameras and buy one when you can afford it.

Sage advice. \:\)

I sure wish Reconyx would come out with more (a lot more) megapixels, and lower their prices. Well, doesn't hurt to wish.

#3539340 - 01/09/14 05:06 PM Re: IR flash questions [Re: Wes Parrish]
FIREMANJIM
6 Point

Loc: DECHERD, TN

And if your Blackflash does not give you enough FLASH DISTANCE I now offer Blackflash extenders that work wirelessly. TOTALLY AWESOME!!! I can make it work with any commercial blackflash cam too.

#3539362 - 01/09/14 05:16 PM Re: IR flash questions [Re: FIREMANJIM]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Originally Posted By: FIREMANJIM
And if your Blackflash does not give you enough FLASH DISTANCE I now offer Blackflash extenders that work wirelessly. TOTALLY AWESOME!!! I can make it work with any commercial blackflash cam too.

Jim,
That is AWESOME! \:\)
Can you couple it with a disabled red-flash?
Or a white-flash homebrew with the flash disabled?

You need to tell us more about these!

#3539734 - 01/09/14 08:09 PM Re: IR flash questions [Re: Wes Parrish]
FIREMANJIM
6 Point

I have to go into the commercial cam and install a small control board and transmitter. Hooks into the positive and negative wires that go to the led array. When the commercial cam comes on and sends power to its array it also powers up the small control board and transmitter. Transmitter snnds signal to remote array and it comes on. Pretty simple actually. Probably voids the WARRANTY of course. But as we all know their warranties are not much anyway. As far as the white flash the camera has to flash because its flash is what signals the remote flash to fire. Both units work out to about 100 feet or so.

#3539738 - 01/09/14 08:10 PM Re: IR flash questions [Re: FIREMANJIM]
FIREMANJIM
6 Point

I will try to put up some pics and video tomorrow night.

#3539771 - 01/09/14 08:24 PM Re: IR flash questions [Re: FIREMANJIM]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Couple questions, Jim:

1) Could you use 2 remote illuminators with a single cam?
------ such as setting one near the cam, another about 50 feet in front of it?

2) How far from the cam will the transmitter transmit to the remote?

#3539809 - 01/09/14 08:35 PM Re: IR flash questions [Re: Wes Parrish]
lockandloaded
4 Point

Loc: west tn

Firemanjim. I would love to see pics and videos also.
I have a question myself. I know you said your upgrade works off of the cams original flash. So Could you put your remote illuminator on a red Ir camera and just spray paint the cameras flash lens black. The flash would still work you just wouldn't be able to see it. And it would still activate your remote illuninator?

#3540120 - 01/10/14 06:55 AM Re: IR flash questions [Re: Wes Parrish]
deaddownwind
4 Point

Loc: TN

Bucky, I've seen the Black Flash Truth Cams at Wal Mart for $89.99. I hear decent reviews on them but I run the Moultrie 555i and i-45s. If you shop around on amazon, you can get the 555i for around $90-$110. They are a bit sensitive (e.g. Takes pics of even bird movement) but dont miss anything it seems.

Edited by deaddownwind (01/10/14 06:55 AM)

#3540194 - 01/10/14 07:43 AM Re: IR flash questions [Re: FIREMANJIM]
BSK
Non-Typical

I have to go into the commercial cam and install a small control board and transmitter. Hooks into the positive and negative wires that go to the led array. When the commercial cam comes on and sends power to its array it also powers up the small control board and transmitter. Transmitter snnds signal to remote array and it comes on. Pretty simple actually. Probably voids the WARRANTY of course. But as we all know their warranties are not much anyway. As far as the white flash the camera has to flash because its flash is what signals the remote flash to fire. Both units work out to about 100 feet or so.

That is truly cool FIREMANJIM!!!

#3540380 - 01/10/14 09:22 AM Re: IR flash questions [Re: BSK]
FIREMANJIM
6 Point

Yes I can do as many as 6 remotes off of a single camera. They work out to 90-100 feet in a open area. May be a little less in the woods. I would think that I could simply unhook the red glow leds if that's what you want. I just need the power when the camera turns on the led array. It opens a mosfet and tells the computer chip to transmit the signal to turn on the remote array. All this happens in about 3/10ths of a second.

#3540421 - 01/10/14 09:49 AM Re: IR flash questions [Re: FIREMANJIM]
BSK
Non-Typical

From someone who is a dedicated black-flash cam user, and who knows all too well what their limitations are, a flash extender is HUGELY useful. In fact, the brand of cameras I use is dictated by that company's production of a plug-in flash extender that is controlled through the camera's menu system.

#3540425 - 01/10/14 09:51 AM Re: IR flash questions [Re: BSK]
BSK
Non-Typical

This is what a powerful flash extender can do for black-flash. The tree-line in the background is right at 130 feet from the camera.

#3542323 - 01/11/14 06:06 PM Re: IR flash questions [Re: BSK]
Mossy Rack
4 Point

Loc: sumner county

Forgive me for asking if this is an old question and I just havent found it on here yet. I am new to trail cams and got an IR wildgame innovations digital scouting camera for Christmas.
So the best way to use them is hanging high and not at say eye level? and is there a way to change the flash on this one? I love using it but I definatly don't want to scare deer as I hunt on a small couple of acres a natural funnel from terrain.

#3542637 - 01/11/14 09:55 PM Re: IR flash questions [Re: Mossy Rack]
Vermin93
12 Point

Originally Posted By: Mossy Rack
Forgive me for asking if this is an old question and I just havent found it on here yet. I am new to trail cams and got an IR wildgame innovations digital scouting camera for Christmas.
So the best way to use them is hanging high and not at say eye level? and is there a way to change the flash on this one? I love using it but I definatly don't want to scare deer as I hunt on a small couple of acres a natural funnel from terrain.

Nothing good will come from deer seeing the red flash at night, so I would mount it higher up on the tree out of view and angle it down over your target zone. Many cameras have a setting for daylight, night or both. If your camera has this option, and you don't care about night pictures, then you could set it for daylight only. However, if you do that you may miss getting pictures of deer traveling by near the beginning and end of shooting light. I run several red IR flash cameras and have them all mounted somewhere between 10 - 12 ft up the tree out of view of the deer. Here are some pictures of some of these cameras:

http://www.tndeer.com/tndeertalk/ubbthre...rue#Post3279344

Edited by Vermin93 (01/11/14 09:58 PM)

#3543026 - 01/12/14 11:20 AM Re: IR flash questions [Re: Vermin93]
FIREMANJIM
6 Point

Hey BSK.... On those UWay units do you have to put the extender within cords reach of the camera unit?? Mine works wirelessly out to 90 feet or so. So you can place the extender off to one side or the other and forward of the camera unit so it will extend the cameras flash distance.

#3543028 - 01/12/14 11:23 AM Re: IR flash questions [Re: FIREMANJIM]
BSK
Non-Typical

Hey BSK.... On those UWay units do you have to put the extender within cords reach of the camera unit?? Mine works wirelessly out to 90 feet or so. So you can place the extender off to one side or the other and forward of the camera unit so it will extend the cameras flash distance.

And that's a big advantage of your system over the Uway's FIREMANJIM. Yes, the Uway flash-extender is wired directly to the camera, and controlled through the camera's menu. The menu system allows pictures to be taken with just the camera's flash, only the extender's flash (saving camera battery power), or with both the camera's and the extender's flash together.

#3543118 - 01/12/14 12:53 PM Re: IR flash questions [Re: Vermin93]
Mossy Rack
4 Point

Loc: sumner county

Thanks Vermin93 I will hang it up above.

#3544536 - 01/13/14 10:32 AM Re: IR flash questions [Re: deaddownwind]
BUCKYJR
6 Point

Originally Posted By: deaddownwind
Bucky, I've seen the Black Flash Truth Cams at Wal Mart for $89.99. I hear decent reviews on them but I run the Moultrie 555i and i-45s. If you shop around on amazon, you can get the 555i for around $90-$110. They are a bit sensitive (e.g. Takes pics of even bird movement) but dont miss anything it seems.

Thanks again to all for the advice. I've got some time to come up with a new plan of attack before I put my cams out again. I guess I'll keep an eye out for good deals on black flash--otherwise, I may try to hang my IR cams a little higher in the tree and angle down to avoid detection.

Page all of 4 1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, gtk, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
KevinTN, gthorne, bwoodard12, front hillside, DeerBomber
13540 Registered Users
Who's Online
191 registered (diamond hunter, Clay Criner, Poleaxe, 280longshot, BigRod, gatodoc, 19 invisible) and 272 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13540 Members
42 Forums
99240 Topics
1167222 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.064 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.