Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3534011 - 01/06/14 03:53 PM ????? about my pup
huntintn
8 Point

Loc: savannah,TN

content Online
Shes almost a year old and loves to hunt, will destroy a thicket looking for the bunnies. But she never shuts up, she can smell where a rabbit farted last week, she'll get in a thicket or a ditch and bark every breath. Do you think she'll grow out of this or am I wasteing my time on her.

#3534083 - 01/06/14 04:21 PM Re: ????? about my pup [Re: huntintn]
tailchaser
6 Point

Loc: Tennessee

She is cold trailing,you might bump her with a collar when she does it,and break her while she is young ,the older they get the harder it is to break um.I've got one that does the same thing it gets annoying.
#3534244 - 01/06/14 05:47 PM Re: ????? about my pup [Re: tailchaser]
TN Larry
10 Point

Loc: Baxter, Tennessee

They sometimes grow out of it and sometimes they don't. Does she ever jump any rabbits? How does she run? We used to have a dog that could cold trail with the best of them. However, she would jump a few rabbits and was one of the best running dogs that we had. She had no foolishness was the rabbit was jumped. She just had a really good nose and liked to cold trail.

This is my opinion, but I am not sure if shocking them is the answer for cold trailing. I am not sure if she would know what she is doing wrong especially if she hunts super hard. Some dogs just have it in their nature. Now, if she does it all the time, a lil bump might not hurt.

#3534315 - 01/06/14 06:13 PM Re: ????? about my pup [Re: TN Larry]
Mud Creek
4 Point

Loc: Mid TN

Is she cold nosed or mouthy? To me a cold nose dog hunts around then finds a track worth working, works it all the way up to the jump barking the whole time then jumps.the rabbit and race is on..keeps quiet in check(might pop a little but is pretty reliable )if they can a good track and you dont mind the barkimg before jump and/or a pop in the check I say let her be.
But a mouthy dog is different! A mouthy dog hits the ground babbling at anything no matter.if its worth working or not. Probably barks on countless lines that lead to nothing before FINALLY gettin lucky and getting the right one and starting a track. If you hit a check in the race this dog barks like at nothing not moving the track because its either impatient or dumb. With it being a young dog you should try running her by herself if shes being ran with a pack you could be putting too much pressure on her that she aint ready for. Shocking her for barking around would help if you actually see her barking for no reason", but if shes a big nosed dog how are you gonna know if your shocking her off what to her is a good track? She may just need solo running and you being patient but she might just be a babbler and thats up to what you can put up with and what you cant!

Edited by Mud Creek (01/06/14 06:15 PM)

#3534523 - 01/06/14 07:50 PM Re: ????? about my pup [Re: Mud Creek]
TN Larry
10 Point

Originally Posted By: Mud Creek
Is she cold nosed or mouthy? To me a cold nose dog hunts around then finds a track worth working, works it all the way up to the jump barking the whole time then jumps.the rabbit and race is on..keeps quiet in check(might pop a little but is pretty reliable )if they can a good track and you dont mind the barkimg before jump and/or a pop in the check I say let her be.
But a mouthy dog is different! A mouthy dog hits the ground babbling at anything no matter.if its worth working or not. Probably barks on countless lines that lead to nothing before FINALLY gettin lucky and getting the right one and starting a track. If you hit a check in the race this dog barks like at nothing not moving the track because its either impatient or dumb. With it being a young dog you should try running her by herself if shes being ran with a pack you could be putting too much pressure on her that she aint ready for. Shocking her for barking around would help if you actually see her barking for no reason", but if shes a big nosed dog how are you gonna know if your shocking her off what to her is a good track? She may just need solo running and you being patient but she might just be a babbler and thats up to what you can put up with and what you cant!

X2. Exactly the point that I was getting to.

#3534619 - 01/06/14 08:29 PM Re: ????? about my pup [Re: TN Larry]
huntintn
8 Point

Loc: savannah,TN

content Online
Mouthy, she can jump a rabbit and other will run it but she just wants to stay in the thick stuff. Have seen her run and killed rabbits in front of her, but if another dog jumps one she will not leave and go to them.

#3535452 - 01/07/14 10:53 AM Re: ????? about my pup [Re: huntintn]
TN Larry
10 Point

If she is only a year old and that game right now to hunt, you still may be okay. I have seen them grow out of some of the mouthiness and stubborness not to pull to other dogs as they get a little older.

One of the best dogs that I have ever seen was stubborn like that in terms of pulling to other dogs as a pup. She turned out to be what I would call a super dog which I have only been out with a handful that I would put in that category.

To me, it just seems like she needs some hunting time. Sometimes a dog like that may learn better when hunted with just one or two old dogs that she "trusts". It is sometimes hard to train a young dog with a big pack of dogs especially if some of them are fast runners. If she is barking around for no reason at all, not cold trailing, then a lil bump might not hurt her.

This is advice based on me trying to interpret what she is doing. I may hear her run and have a totally different perspective. \:\)

#3535504 - 01/07/14 11:41 AM Re: ????? about my pup [Re: TN Larry]
Mud Creek
4 Point

Loc: Mid TN

Not harking to other dogs would worry me a bit but still has a little time to get with it. I would run her by herself or like said above with 1-2 other good dogs. Better yet 1-2 trips by herself then 1-2 trips with an older dog. I had a really nice female.about 3 years ago out of my sammy dog and a bitch named kate that i owned(after the cross was made).i ended up with Annashe could run a good track and was good in snow but WOULD NOT SHUT UP!!!!!! It drove me absolutly insane! I never could get her to stop almost.said the long goodbye to her, but sold her to a man on a trial basis, he loved her so much i wouldnt take his money it was worth it for me to never have to hear her mouth again! He got a free dog thst he still hunts and loves and I get some peace and quiet in the field until the rabbit is up!
#3536085 - 01/07/14 05:40 PM Re: ????? about my pup [Re: Mud Creek]
tailchaser
6 Point

Loc: Tennessee

If you don't keep her in the pen with the other dogs,you might try keeping her kenneled with them for a few weeks,that might help getting her to run with them.she is still young,some dogs take longer to get the hang of it.
Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Cuttin Caller, Bobby G, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TnDear, buckslayer85, crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys
13384 Registered Users
Who's Online
108 registered (huntingfool, MUP, rem270, Pic IN the Casa, stryker, Sako, 16 invisible) and 180 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13384 Members
42 Forums
95916 Topics
1123111 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.057 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.