Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3532972 - 01/05/14 11:18 PM Handmade walking sticks help
Poleaxe
8 Point

Loc: Etowah Tennessee

I have told myself for years I wanted to start making these as a new hobby as gifts. I had one a close friend of my father's made me after I had a bad car accident in high school. He engraved a mountain man looking guy, my initials, a buck head, and a football, baseball, and basketball. Wanting to andactually did never took place. Well now I really am going to. But I need some guidance. I dont know which tools I will need? How long the wood needs to dry? Just imagine me as a freshman jock fixing to get to home plate but don't know how to swing a bat. Anybody got any suggestions?
#3533020 - 01/06/14 05:18 AM Re: Handmade walking sticks help [Re: Poleaxe]
plinker22
16 Point

Loc: Mountians of East Tennessee

Smoky Mountain Woodcarvers. They meet monthly and carve together. Many times they will all be workin the same project: spirit faces, birds & walking sticks are all popular themes. Carving, forest people, takes several years to learn, as it is an art, not just a wood working project.

Many types of wood can be used carved walking sticks. Dogwood & Cedar are both very popular, but almost any wood can be carved, depending on the types of carving tools you decide to use. A simple pocketknife could be used, but there are as many specialty tools as you have dollar$. Wood handled carving tools with a single short & sharp blade are very popular and not very expensive. There are also hundreds of different shaped gouges, punches and chisels that you can learn to use. On the other hand, you might choose to use powertools: Drimel and Roto-tool are both popular.

A great place to start, if you have no prior experience, is going to you favorite deer thicket and look for several walking stick size sapling trees that have a vine wrapped around them multiple times. Choose a few you like best and cut the down. You can then carve off all the bark and carve the vine "out" from inside the twists. You will learn a lot of carving tricks while having fun and be be on the road to a new and interesting hobby.

If you wanna come to Sevier County some day and BUY ME LUNCH, I'll give you your first carving knife and show you some AMAZING carved walking sticks. My father was master carver.

#3533576 - 01/06/14 11:50 AM Re: Handmade walking sticks help [Re: plinker22]
Poleaxe
8 Point

Loc: Etowah Tennessee

Really? Dang thanks Plinker. I always come up during February so I'll let you know before we do. My dad's friend that made mine passed away several years back and there's nobody else around here I know that does that to get any guidance from. It seems like it's a lost art. Thanks.
#3533703 - 01/06/14 12:58 PM Re: Handmade walking sticks help [Re: plinker22]
leader
16 Point

Loc: Knox

content Online
 Originally Posted By: plinker22
Smoky Mountain Woodcarvers. They meet monthly and carve together. Many times they will all be workin the same project: spirit faces, birds & walking sticks are all popular themes. Carving, forest people, takes several years to learn, as it is an art, not just a wood working project.

Many types of wood can be used carved walking sticks. Dogwood & Cedar are both very popular, but almost any wood can be carved, depending on the types of carving tools you decide to use. A simple pocketknife could be used, but there are as many specialty tools as you have dollar$. Wood handled carving tools with a single short & sharp blade are very popular and not very expensive. There are also hundreds of different shaped gouges, punches and chisels that you can learn to use. On the other hand, you might choose to use powertools: Drimel and Roto-tool are both popular.

A great place to start, if you have no prior experience, is going to you favorite deer thicket and look for several walking stick size sapling trees that have a vine wrapped around them multiple times. Choose a few you like best and cut the down. You can then carve off all the bark and carve the vine "out" from inside the twists. You will learn a lot of carving tricks while having fun and be be on the road to a new and interesting hobby.

If you wanna come to Sevier County some day and BUY ME LUNCH, I'll give you your first carving knife and show you some AMAZING carved walking sticks. My father was master carver.

Ill come to Sevierville and let you BUY ME LUNCH, no carving knife expected

#3533704 - 01/06/14 12:58 PM Re: Handmade walking sticks help [Re: leader]
leader
16 Point

Loc: Knox

content Online
Really a nice offer to Poleaxe \:\)

#3533712 - 01/06/14 01:00 PM Re: Handmade walking sticks help [Re: leader]
Unicam Administrator
Grumpaw
16 Point

Loc: Dallas, GA. & Cookeville, TN

Always wished I had a talent for wood carving, some pretty neat stuff people with that talent can do!

John 15:13

#3533763 - 01/06/14 01:25 PM Re: Handmade walking sticks help [Re: Unicam]
Tennessee Lead
8 Point

Loc: Putnam County, TN

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Unicam
Always wished I had a talent for wood carving, some pretty neat stuff people with that talent can do!

I sell hardwoods for a living and it's amazing to see what some of the customers do and bring back to show us at the store.

#3535226 - 01/07/14 08:44 AM Re: Handmade walking sticks help [Re: Poleaxe]
plinker22
16 Point

Loc: Mountians of East Tennessee

Originally Posted By: Poleaxe
Really? Dang thanks Plinker. I always come up during February so I'll let you know before...

Sure I'm serious. Let me know when you'll be up. I'll gather up several of Dad's sticks and maybe even 2 knives (depending on where you buy me lunch). ;\)

\:D at leader.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
zatoan, DanParchman3, saddleman1, Jculber301, Mik475
13282 Registered Users
Who's Online
115 registered (cozy23, NICHOLS3, Hillbilly Hunter, RKenney, donkey5150, McBryar32, 14 invisible) and 143 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13282 Members
42 Forums
93294 Topics
1089315 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.105 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.