Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#3526993 - 01/02/14 10:42 AM Training for Western Hunt?
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Planning to do a backpack style Elk hunt in CO this September. So, will be beginning a lot of endurance training with a pack on (hope to keep my pack weight under the 40 lbs barrier, but will need to be able to move continuously over difficult terrain, all day, everyday for 7 to 10 days).

Though I'm a runner and maintain a base level of fitness, its time to get hardcore again and really strengthen up my back, legs and hips and get the all day endurance going. I can't afford a Crossfit membership for a whole year, but planning to do 1 month just to give myself a good beatdown upfront and then hit the regular gym for the rest of the Spring and Summer.

Anybody else ramping up for something similar?

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3527012 - 01/02/14 10:52 AM Re: Training for Western Hunt? [Re: Poser]
tickweed
10 Point

Loc: medon,Tn.

You should be fine. Man, you're tore up about this trip. May do it again myself. Gives a person something to look forward to. Good luck.

#3527029 - 01/02/14 10:59 AM Re: Training for Western Hunt? [Re: tickweed]
redheadshooter
6 Point

Loc: Here

I am ramping it up, but not for a hunting trip. I quit my second job so a western hunting trip is out of the picture until my wife gets out of school. I just want to get in better shape for hunting in general.

#3527211 - 01/02/14 12:34 PM Re: Training for Western Hunt? [Re: Poser]
Buzzard Breath
8 Point

Loc: East

Like tickweed says, "you'll be fine".

I'm probably headed back to Colorado this year myself. Here's what I'll be doing:

1. Continue running and ramp it up some.
2. Continue doing 2 "bodyweight" workouts a week. http://wodshop.org/wods.html
3. Twice a week, climb up and down the hill in the backyard with a weighted pack (50 lbs of corn)
4. Extended hiking trips in Smokies with a weighted pack on weekends.
5. Continue taking 2-3 backpacking trip a year.

Most of this stuff I enjoy doing and would do it anyways. I've never weighed my pack. I simply buy the best stuff that I can afford at the time. My pack weight "is what it is" and there's nothing I can do about it. I sort of don't want to know what it weighs either. If this is your first elk trip, you'll end up taking way too much stuff anyways.

Something makes me think Poser will be making your own meals for the trip. So, this is for others thinking about taking their own trip. Start finding backpacking food that you like early. Don't go with something you've never eaten before. You'll also want to start weaning yourself off a low carb diet before going. Suddenly switching to a high carb diet will do strange things to your bowels that you may not like.

#3528513 - 01/03/14 12:51 AM Re: Training for Western Hunt? [Re: Buzzard Breath]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Loc: Memphis

It was about 14 years ago that I last trained for a backcountry trip. I was an already in-shape 17 year old kid, so what I did then probably wouldn't cut it now. If it were me today, I would probably work into alternating days of longer runs & wind sprints. Rather than a "long run" on the weekend, have Mrs. Poser drop you off somewhere with a pack and hike back.

As for local places for primitive camping and backpacking, there aren't a ton of options that'll give you good hills. We used to camp at Fort Pillow quite a bit, since there's good primitive sites available, and relatively decent terrain. Village Creek between Wynne & Forrest City, AR also will make you work a little bit. Otherwise, you're probably going to have to become familiar with central Arkansas. There's Petit Jean and Pinnacle Mountain, both relatively close to Little Rock. Crowley's Ridge State Park is also near Paragould.

What will your water options be in Colorado? Plenty of creeks & streams to purify, or will it be relatively arid where you'll have to pack water? That's another big consideration.

But regardless, I'm with the "you'll be fine" crowd. So long as you've got a partner that's equally dedicated and in shape.

#3528644 - 01/03/14 07:44 AM Re: Training for Western Hunt? [Re: TAFKAP]
redblood
16 Point

Loc: Lewisburg

Originally Posted By: TAFKAP
It was about 14 years ago that I last trained for a backcountry trip. I was an already in-shape 17 year old kid, so what I did then probably wouldn't cut it now. If it were me today, I would probably work into alternating days of longer runs & wind sprints. Rather than a "long run" on the weekend, have Mrs. Poser drop you off somewhere with a pack and hike back.

As for local places for primitive camping and backpacking, there aren't a ton of options that'll give you good hills. We used to camp at Fort Pillow quite a bit, since there's good primitive sites available, and relatively decent terrain. Village Creek between Wynne & Forrest City, AR also will make you work a little bit. Otherwise, you're probably going to have to become familiar with central Arkansas. There's Petit Jean and Pinnacle Mountain, both relatively close to Little Rock. Crowley's Ridge State Park is also near Paragould.

What will your water options be in Colorado? Plenty of creeks & streams to purify, or will it be relatively arid where you'll have to pack water? That's another big consideration.

But regardless, I'm with the "you'll be fine" crowd. So long as you've got a partner that's equally dedicated and in shape.

homing runs work great. i have a buddy or family drop me and my wife off (we live way out in the country ) at an unmeasured point on a back country road and we simply run home. we don't measure till later. i think it is helpful when you don't know mileage, but focus on making it home. did on Christmas that looked to be 7 and turned out to be 10 miles. out west, the only thing that matters is cardio

#3529082 - 01/03/14 01:07 PM Re: Training for Western Hunt? [Re: redblood]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: redblood

homing runs work great. i have a buddy or family drop me and my wife off (we live way out in the country ) at an unmeasured point on a back country road and we simply run home. we don't measure till later. i think it is helpful when you don't know mileage, but focus on making it home. did on Christmas that looked to be 7 and turned out to be 10 miles. out west, the only thing that matters is cardio

I run about 20-25 mikes a week and it definitely provides a base level of fitness and endurance, but for backpack hunting, the problem with running, unto itself, is that it does not simulate the cardio tasks you are performing in the mountains. I'll continue to run, but going to focus quite a bit on strength, all day endurance and training with a heavy pack on.

#3529247 - 01/03/14 03:32 PM Re: Training for Western Hunt? [Re: Poser]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Loc: Memphis

What about just wearing a weighted daypack for your everyday activities?

#3529254 - 01/03/14 03:37 PM Re: Training for Western Hunt? [Re: TAFKAP]
Buzzard Breath
8 Point

Loc: East

I often wear a weighted backpack while mowing. My yard is all up and down. Wearing the pack while mowing an uneven surface gives me one heck of a core workout.

#3529553 - 01/03/14 06:52 PM Re: Training for Western Hunt? [Re: Buzzard Breath]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Buzzard Breath

I often wear a weighted backpack while mowing. My yard is all up and down. Wearing the pack while mowing an uneven surface gives me one heck of a core workout.

Yeah, was thinking about that. Yard is not very big, but walking the dog etc coud work.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TboneD, sbhockey, ZachA, DocT, Raegan
13202 Registered Users
Who's Online
12 registered (larry.boy.k, MFDfire15, sgtwebb1, BamaProud, southernhunter, levergunner, 3 invisible) and 53 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13202 Members
42 Forums
91544 Topics
1070128 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.046 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.