Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#3521271 - 12/29/13 06:16 PM 185 to 200 grain for muzzleloading
stringtalker
4 Point


Registered: 11/28/13
Posts: 266
Loc: monroe county, tennessee

Offline
I just got my 200 grain hornady xtp's in the mail the other day to try in my .50 cal. Was shooting 260 grain and decided to try lighter loads. I shot it three times with triple7 powder, 100 grains, shot a real good group at 60 yards. I have some more C.O.P. 185 grain bullets ordered to try as well, has anyone else use light bullets, how much powder, and what was the performance on deer, thanks
_________________________
Douglas

Top
#3523852 - 12/31/13 10:24 AM Re: 185 to 200 grain for muzzleloading [Re: stringtalker]
stringtalker
4 Point


Registered: 11/28/13
Posts: 266
Loc: monroe county, tennessee

Offline
So i guess everybody on here uses large muzzleloader bullets, and thinks smaller bullets want work?

Edited by stringtalker (12/31/13 10:24 AM)
_________________________
Douglas

Top
#3523949 - 12/31/13 11:17 AM Re: 185 to 200 grain for muzzleloading [Re: stringtalker]
Frank G
8 Point


Registered: 12/20/12
Posts: 1409
Loc: Hardin Co, TN Pickwick Lake

Offline
I use 200 Hornady as well, a genuine pain to load. I tried 195 Power Belt with good results. I see no need to go lighter. I shoot a 45 cal CVA with 2 pellets, tried 3 but saw no advantage at 100 yards and below.
_________________________
Team M.I.A.
Captain

Top
#3524998 - 12/31/13 10:43 PM Re: 185 to 200 grain for muzzleloading [Re: Frank G]
hunter82
6 Point


Registered: 12/27/04
Posts: 521
Loc: clay county tn

Offline
I recently got some of the 200 grain hornady xtp to try out as well
Top
#3525269 - 01/01/14 08:55 AM Re: 185 to 200 grain for muzzleloading [Re: hunter82]
HilhamHawk
4 Point


Registered: 12/31/13
Posts: 115
Loc: Hilham, TN

Offline
I use 200 grain Shockwaves, and have killed 3 deer with them in the last 2 years. 2 dropped in their tracks (neck shots), and one, that I shot through the lungs, only made it 15 yards before he hit the dirt.
Top
#3528625 - 01/03/14 07:24 AM Re: 185 to 200 grain for muzzleloading [Re: HilhamHawk]
Billboy
4 Point


Registered: 12/06/07
Posts: 167
Loc: Knoxville

Offline
I shoot 180-200gr .40cal XTP's in my 45 Encore. Killed dozens of deer over the years. Used to shoot 44cal 200gr XTP's in my 50 cal. Knight and they worked fine too.
_________________________
I like blowin' big holes in stuff...

Top
#3549161 - 01/16/14 02:19 PM Re: 185 to 200 grain for muzzleloading [Re: Billboy]
tasaman
8 Point


Registered: 01/11/10
Posts: 1110
Loc: Woodlawn, TN

Offline
If you want to go lighter I would use the Shockwaves in 200gr. Much tougher bullet than the XTP. XTP is a great bullet 95% of the time but do you want to know what happens the other 5%? They fail. Now I use XTP for range work at 100-150 yards but hunt with something tougher.

The load I use with them is 80gr weighed BH209 and TC Shockwave 200gr in the blue sabot. Killed a bunch with them out to 180 yards give or take. Groups were less than 1.5 inches at 100 yards.

Top
#3552003 - 01/18/14 08:14 PM Re: 185 to 200 grain for muzzleloading [Re: tasaman]
knightrider
12 Point


Registered: 09/27/10
Posts: 6229
Loc: tn

Offline
 Originally Posted By: tasaman
If you want to go lighter I would use the Shockwaves in 200gr. Much tougher bullet than the XTP. XTP is a great bullet 95% of the time but do you want to know what happens the other 5%? They fail. Now I use XTP for range work at 100-150 yards but hunt with something tougher.

The load I use with them is 80gr weighed BH209 and TC Shockwave 200gr in the blue sabot. Killed a bunch with them out to 180 yards give or take. Groups were less than 1.5 inches at 100 yards.
see that's why im glad they make so many bullets, I love the xtp!!! have killed bunches with them never had a problem only two deer ive ever shot with shockwaves left zero blood and no expansion.
_________________________
behold the lamb of GOD,when he nocks please answer it may be your last chance!!!!
happy hunters against armchair biology!!!!
SAVAGE ARMS!!!!

Top
#3553110 - 01/19/14 06:18 PM Re: 185 to 200 grain for muzzleloading [Re: knightrider]
ewc
8 Point


Registered: 02/01/02
Posts: 2263
Loc: Knoxville

Offline
I have pushed the 195-200 class bullets to 3K with 20+ kills from 20-250 yards.

They work.

Top
#3553877 - 01/20/14 10:32 AM Re: 185 to 200 grain for muzzleloading [Re: ewc]
tasaman
8 Point


Registered: 01/11/10
Posts: 1110
Loc: Woodlawn, TN

Offline
ewc...what were the entry/exit like pushing them fast? Also how about the blood trail? Any bang flops?
Top
Page 1 of 2 12>


Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
4105874
RUGER
87595
Deer Assassin
65673
BSK
61389
Crappie Luck
51376
spitndrum
Newest Members
TnDear, buckslayer85, crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys
13384 Registered Users
Who's Online
41 registered (JDP, fourwheeler431, Hangnail, splatter, scn, Vermin93, 7 invisible) and 119 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13384 Members
42 Forums
95877 Topics
1122693 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.053 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.