Tndeer Logo

Page all of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#3512444 - 12/23/13 07:02 AM Lack of sightings?
Right_Tackle74
4 Point

Loc: Loudon, TN, USA

Anyone else seen far less Deer this season than in season's past? Lack of poop in woods, Seen zero Deer since week before Thanksgiving. Buddy's of mine on our lease in Meigs Co. report the same. How's your area?
#3512450 - 12/23/13 07:05 AM Re: Lack of sightings? [Re: Right_Tackle74]
7wsm
8 Point

Loc: Tennessee

saw 8 deer in the last 12 hunts seems they vanished after ml season but crazy weather to so idk.
#3512467 - 12/23/13 07:21 AM Re: Lack of sightings? [Re: 7wsm]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Over-all deer sighting rate has been down this year for my group, but buck sighting rate has been normal, and older buck sighting rate has been above average.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3512574 - 12/23/13 08:50 AM Re: Lack of sightings? [Re: BSK]
stik
"Popcorn"
18 Point

Loc: lenoir city,tn

other than one day when I saw 18 does(buck only), I have seen less than 10 deer all season with well over 200 hrs on stand.

nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught

#3512585 - 12/23/13 09:03 AM Re: Lack of sightings? [Re: stik]
HuntnMoon
Spike

Loc: Tn

I had only seen 3 deer since November till 5 minutes before legal shooting light ended last night , then I saw a small buck and a few does, smoked my biggest doe to date with my bow,they were very slow
Moving and cautious

#3512639 - 12/23/13 09:47 AM Re: Lack of sightings? [Re: HuntnMoon]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

I would guess it is about normal for me. I can only think of two hunts that I did not see a deer and both times, I can lay it off on me, not the deer.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#3512644 - 12/23/13 09:50 AM Re: Lack of sightings? [Re: HuntnMoon]
OHVATN
4 Point

Loc: Middle TN

With work and family, my hunting time is always limited. Saw only 13 deer in 13 sits. Does and 1.5 and 2.5 bucks (3). Hunting new property, however. Couldn't get to the Missouri farm this year but friends reported mostly bucks (mostly 3.5 and above) and few does. Only anecdotal but folks in MO are claiming the 2012 drought and EHD decimated the doe herd. Not sure I buy that but something to think about.

#3513128 - 12/23/13 04:40 PM Re: Lack of sightings? [Re: OHVATN]
Anonymous TnDeer Old Timer
Unregistered

I haven't seen near as many big groups of does as the last couple years. I did during the summer, but they busted up when the acorns started dropping. More acorns this year than I have ever seen. The deer are still here, just do well at staying hidden when they don't have to come out of the woods until after dark.
#3513138 - 12/23/13 04:47 PM Re: Lack of sightings? [Re: ]
stik
"Popcorn"
18 Point

Originally Posted By: MrWhitetail
More acorns this year than I have ever seen.

total acorn failure around here.

#3513168 - 12/23/13 05:13 PM Re: Lack of sightings? [Re: stik]
Columbia Scott
6 Point

Loc: Columbia, Tennessee

The full moon we had smack dab in the middle of rut and the one we just put behind us didn't help at all. Last night I was patrolling my favorite, wealthy deer filled suburban neighborhood and the does seem to be in winter concentration already. Two groups of at least 30 milling around eating grass. A couple groups of bucks too.

#3513177 - 12/23/13 05:18 PM Re: Lack of sightings? [Re: Right_Tackle74]
Boone 58
16 Point

Loc: Food Plot

Originally Posted By: Right_Tackle74
Anyone else seen far less Deer this season than in season's past? Lack of poop in woods, Seen zero Deer since week before Thanksgiving. Buddy's of mine on our lease in Meigs Co. report the same. How's your area?

Has been poor all December!!!!! last two weeks of nov were really strong, but I have not been able to seen but one shooter buck in the entire season.........excludes the 10pt I shot at laurel hill.

#3513220 - 12/23/13 05:44 PM Re: Lack of sightings? [Re: Boone 58]
Cy
6 Point

Loc: Wears Valley & Cannon County

I saw more deer early in the season than usual, and fewer deer later in the season. My brother took a nice 10 opening day of the muzzleloader hunt, and I passed a 2.5 year old 8 on the second day. Since then, I haven't seen a buck that wasn't a yearling.

The week prior to the juvy hunt I must have seen 30 deer one morning bowhunting. Since then I haven't seen more than two deer on any single hunt. This, and there has been lots and lots of sign. Very strange.

#3513239 - 12/23/13 05:59 PM Re: Lack of sightings? [Re: Columbia Scott]
stik
"Popcorn"
18 Point

Originally Posted By: Columbia Scott
The full moon we had smack dab in the middle of rut and the one we just put behind us didn't help at all. Last night I was patrolling my favorite, wealthy deer filled suburban neighborhood and the does seem to be in winter concentration already. Two groups of at least 30 milling around eating grass. A couple groups of bucks too.

I don't believe the moon has much to do with it.

#3513276 - 12/23/13 06:17 PM Re: Lack of sightings? [Re: stik]
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: stik
 Originally Posted By: MrWhitetail
More acorns this year than I have ever seen.

total acorn failure around here.
The constant rain this year put me over the top. White and Red. The reds actually started dropping a couple weeks before bow opened and a few are still dropping. They are only using my plots at night. It's crazy how mast production varies in different regions of the state each year.

#3513299 - 12/23/13 06:28 PM Re: Lack of sightings? [Re: ]
300wby
4 Point

Loc: Side of a Big Hill TN.

I have only seen one buck this year. Compared to 7 different bucks last year. I don't know when or how the deer on my lease mated. I'm sure they did, but I found far fewer scrapes and rubs this year compared to the last few years. I saw does often this year, but I never saw a lone doe, every time I had a doe come by she had a yearling tagging along, with the largest doe group being 5 and that was the last week of Nov.
#3513374 - 12/23/13 07:08 PM Re: Lack of sightings? [Re: 300wby]
Unregistered

I read on another post where someone stated the does were very receptive this year. I had the same experience where I hunt. I saw more 3.5 year old and younger bucks bedded with does walking in and out of the woods to my stands than I did while on stand. At times they were laying in open fields with high visibility. This was all during the last 3 days of ML and the first 3 days of rifle. All of the "chasing" I saw were bucks 2.5 and younger the week prior. I can't say it was a bad year because I killed two 3.5 year olds that measured 120 and 142. However, it was an odd year because the weather mixed with the full moon helped the mature bucks I have documented do their work at night. The only chance I now have to kill my target buck is hoping he gets lazy and hungry enough to show the last week of season in daylight. I don't count on that to happen.

Edited by MrWhitetail (12/23/13 07:09 PM)

#3513786 - 12/23/13 11:33 PM Re: Lack of sightings? [Re: Columbia Scott]
deerhunter10
10 Point

Loc: maury county tn

been awesome lots of deer lots of sign had a heck of a rut.

#3513941 - 12/24/13 07:26 AM Re: Lack of sightings? [Re: deerhunter10]
jar
4 Point

Loc: tn, rutherford county

No one has mentioned the length of the firearms season. Most of my friends around here that have had their deer disappear either hunt their small spots too often or more likely the neighbors shoot whatever is brave enough to move in the daylight. I decided not to hunt my 25 acres to see if I could keep them regular in the field I can see from the house. Guess what, it worked. I would love to shoot a doe next week but the guys behind us are blasting away, so I wont be doing any killing here.
#3514238 - 12/24/13 12:44 PM Re: Lack of sightings? [Re: jar]
Headhunter
10 Point

Loc: LaVergne, TN USA

Deer sightings are off the chart. Population is way up for sure.

#3514318 - 12/24/13 02:36 PM Re: Lack of sightings? [Re: jar]
stik
"Popcorn"
18 Point

Originally Posted By: jar
No one has mentioned the length of the firearms season. Most of my friends around here that have had their deer disappear either hunt their small spots too often or more likely the neighbors shoot whatever is brave enough to move in the daylight.

lack of sightings started with the opening of bow season. pressure had nothing to do with it.

#3514689 - 12/24/13 08:28 PM Re: Lack of sightings? [Re: stik]
jar
4 Point

Loc: tn, rutherford county

Stik when ever you see a post from me about the issues Unit L hunters have than you can ignore what ever ignorant post I may put on here and Ill do the same about East Tn issues.
#3514822 - 12/24/13 09:57 PM Re: Lack of sightings? [Re: jar]
Mike Belt
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: Lakeland, Tn.

My sightings have been down somewhat this year; particularly shooter bucks.

Stik...I hate to tell you this buddy but if I didn't see over 10 deer in 200 hours I'd be looking for somewhere else to hunt.

#3514957 - 12/25/13 03:19 AM Re: Lack of sightings? [Re: Columbia Scott]
tasaman
8 Point

Loc: Woodlawn, TN

Not here. Saw about average. Only hunted about 12-15 days and had deer near me almost every day out except maybe 3. Had shots at 6. I think if my hot spots were not hot I would move to where they are today and not where they were last year.
#3515197 - 12/25/13 08:25 AM Re: Lack of sightings? [Re: tasaman]
Stickay03
Spike

Loc: TN

Giles County.... I've barely seen any does this year but I've seen an unreal amount of bucks.
#3515320 - 12/25/13 09:57 AM Re: Lack of sightings? [Re: Columbia Scott]
tndeerman
6 Point

Loc: northeast TN

no acorns,deer in the fields

#3515661 - 12/25/13 02:18 PM Re: Lack of sightings? [Re: tndeerman]
ridgewalker
4 Point

Loc: marion

Originally Posted By: tndeerman

x2

#3515802 - 12/25/13 04:31 PM Re: Lack of sightings? [Re: ridgewalker]
ImThere
10 Point

Loc: Lewisburg, Tn

Tons of deer until the last weekend of bow lost all sightings for about 3 or 4 wks had a little spike in sightings weekend 2 of rifle and for the two weeks afterwards and i haven't been in the woods much since.

#3515896 - 12/25/13 05:41 PM Re: Lack of sightings? [Re: Columbia Scott]
htnseymour
8 Point

Loc: sevier county Tn

i have seen more deer this year than last year for sure. Averaging 10 per hunt on each property. Missed two bucks this year cleanly. One during MZL and that was all me and one during early gun and that was due to scope being off 3.5 inches right and low at 50 yards I found out after I missed. Been a cool season for me.

#3516401 - 12/26/13 04:42 AM Re: Lack of sightings? [Re: tndeerman]
stik
"Popcorn"
18 Point

Originally Posted By: tndeerman

that's what I am seeing. 6 in the field when I walked out last night.

#3516887 - 12/26/13 12:25 PM Re: Lack of sightings? [Re: stik]
Headhunter
10 Point

Loc: LaVergne, TN USA

No one has mentioned the length of the firearms season. Most of my friends around here that have had their deer disappear either hunt their small spots too often or more likely the neighbors shoot whatever is brave enough to move in the daylight.

lack of sightings started with the opening of bow season. pressure had nothing to do with it.

Pressure has EVERYTHING to do with it, especially gun hunting. Deer sightings are ok, but mature buck sightings are basically over by the first week of December. Even BSK agrees that mature bucks disappear by the end of November, first of December. Would it make a difference if we had a shorter gun season? Don't know, but there is no way that our longer than 2 month gun season does not have anything to do with the mature bucks becoming vampires.

#3517354 - 12/26/13 06:47 PM Re: Lack of sightings? [Re: Headhunter]
stik
"Popcorn"
18 Point

Originally Posted By: Headhunter

Pressure has EVERYTHING to do with it, especially gun hunting. Deer sightings are ok, but mature buck sightings are basically over by the first week of December. Even BSK agrees that mature bucks disappear by the end of November, first of December. Would it make a difference if we had a shorter gun season? Don't know, but there is no way that our longer than 2 month gun season does not have anything to do with the mature bucks becoming vampires.

funny. our biggest bucks were killed in December.
pressure had absolutely nothing to do with my lack of sightings this year. it began with the opening of bow season before there was any pressure. long before gun season opened.

#3517372 - 12/26/13 06:54 PM Re: Lack of sightings? [Re: stik]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Hunting pressure absolutely CAN be a major player in deer sighting rates. However, there are also many other factors that can play a role in whether hunters see deer while hunting or not. Food sources, weather, stage of the rut, habitat type and condition, changes in deer density or herd structure, etc. Heck, I have no doubt some major influences on daylight deer activity haven't yet been discovered. Hunting pressure is just one piece of the puzzle. It can be a really big piece, as on heavily hunted public (or private) lands, but in some locations, hunting pressure can be a minimal influence.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3517430 - 12/26/13 07:27 PM Re: Lack of sightings? [Re: BSK]
stik
"Popcorn"
18 Point

Originally Posted By: BSK
Hunting pressure absolutely CAN be a major player in deer sighting rates. However, there are also many other factors that can play a role in whether hunters see deer while hunting or not. Food sources, weather, stage of the rut, habitat type and condition, changes in deer density or herd structure, etc. Heck, I have no doubt some major influences on daylight deer activity haven't yet been discovered. Hunting pressure is just one piece of the puzzle. It can be a really big piece, as on heavily hunted public (or private) lands, but in some locations, hunting pressure can be a minimal influence.

I believe my problem is food source related as there is not an acorn on the entire place and nothing else to keep them there.

Page all of 4 1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TboneD, sbhockey, ZachA, DocT, Raegan
13202 Registered Users
Who's Online
16 registered (dhj, muzzy76, DirtyBear0311, Stevie Ray, LawDawg55, BamaProud, 1 invisible) and 62 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13202 Members
42 Forums
91470 Topics
1069322 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.049 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.