Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#3534748 - 01/06/14 09:23 PM Re: Home Made Deer feeders !! [Re: Roost 1]
TENN.BOY
4 Point

Loc: Halls

Originally Posted By: Roost 1
55 gal barrel with removable lid... Cut a 2"x4" rectangle out of the side at bottom..
Now you got a gravity type feeder that holds 325lbs of corn.. Don't have to fill this up very often about every 3-4 weeks just depending on how many deer you got using the area. I leave my barrel out yr around so they get used to it..
do you just set the barrel directly on the ground or set it up a few inches with some bricks with the whole cut in the side of it...

#3566749 - 01/29/14 03:59 PM Re: Home Made Deer feeders !! [Re: Roost 1]
Monroe
Spike

Loc: East Tn

FD,
Do you tie or strap the pipe to a tree or something?
I know it depends on use but how long do you figure, using a 5 foot section, before ya have to fill it up again? I am kinda short and 5 foot would be easier to fill. ;\)

Thanks

#3566799 - 01/29/14 04:24 PM Re: Home Made Deer feeders !! [Re: Monroe]
Frank G
8 Point

Loc: Hardin Co, TN Pickwick Lake

I make mine out of 4 black corrugated under ground drainage pipe. Zip tie it to a tree forming a loop at the ground L. Remove a section near the bottom for feeding trough then cap ends. Punch a couple holes in the lower end cap and no drainage problems.

#3567488 - 01/29/14 10:12 PM Re: Home Made Deer feeders !! [Re: TENN.BOY]
Roost 1
10 Point

Loc: KY

Originally Posted By: TENN.BOY
 Originally Posted By: Roost 1
55 gal barrel with removable lid... Cut a 2"x4" rectangle out of the side at bottom..
Now you got a gravity type feeder that holds 325lbs of corn.. Don't have to fill this up very often about every 3-4 weeks just depending on how many deer you got using the area. I leave my barrel out yr around so they get used to it..
do you just set the barrel directly on the ground or set it up a few inches with some bricks with the whole cut in the side of it...

I set mine directly on ground. You can't have it leaning forward or all the corn will run out.. Sometimes might have place a rock under front to level out.

Z7extreme
Savage 10ML 2
Remington 700P .308

#3615265 - 03/13/14 01:17 PM Re: Home Made Deer feeders !! [Re: Roost 1]
Grizzly Johnson
Team Grizzly
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

I built a couple for picture scouting....

you can use either 4" or 6" PVC pipe.... I used 6" pipe that was an 8' stick and I cut in half for two feeders. At 4' high, it holds two bags of the corn you can get at TSC for around $10 a bag.

Put a sweeping elbow at the bottom.... another option I have thought about is putting a sweeping reducer going from 6" to 4".... just needs to be large enough a deer can put it's nose up in the pipe to "lick" the corn out with it's tongue. You will have to add a short 4"-8" stick of pipe... just enough to keep the corn from gravity feeding out onto the ground... but keep the corn reachable.

You could customize it more by adding a couple of "Y" fittings to add more feeding ports... it may work better on the 6" pipe though since the deer could get their noses up in there farther.

That setup will keep it quite dry from the rain and off the ground. Squirrels, coons, crows, and turkeys can eat what the deer knock out onto the ground.

Put a cap on top where you fill it from. You will need two small spacer blocks to get it out away from the tree trunk so you can remove the lid to refill. I just used a couple of 2x4 scrap pieces that I contoured them a little to keep the pipe from rolling off. Use some ratchet straps to fasten to tree with the bottom about 1'-2' off the ground.

I had to add a long shank eyebolt through the pipe towards the upper 1/3 so I could run the strap through the eye... this keeps the pipe from "slipping" under the strap during windy conditions which could make the treetrunk flex and loosen the strap. You could also use the eye to run a cable and lock through just to keep an honest thief a little more honest.

#3615278 - 03/13/14 01:29 PM Re: Home Made Deer feeders !! [Re: Roost 1]
BlountArrow
10 Point

Loc: SouthEast Tenn

Can't keep the bears out of them so I gave up a long time ago!

#3617011 - 03/15/14 08:38 PM Re: Home Made Deer feeders !! [Re: BlountArrow]
feathersandfur2214
6 Point

Loc: Roane Co, TN

Mine are simple. I take a 4" pipe 4 ft long.Put a Y on the bottom and a cap on the top. On the bottom of the Y put an irrigation cap to allow water to drain through. Strap it to a tree so the Y they feed out of is 2 ft or so off the ground. Works well for me.
#3620225 - 03/19/14 06:48 AM Re: Home Made Deer feeders !! [Re: feathersandfur2214]
BlackBelt
10 Point

Loc: SouthWest TN

like most everyone else I make my own out of PVC 4" pipe. It is 5.5 feet long and I cut a half moon shape out of one end. I drive a stake into the ground and bungee cord the pipe feeder to the stake. That way I can move the pipe up and down to regulate the amount of feed coming out.

I also put a round plastic disc into the half moon opening (attached with a L-shaped corner brace) and that keeps the feed from totally emptying onto the ground. I use an old tea pitcher over the top of the pipe to keep the rain out. As a bonus I can use the pitcher to pour the corn in when the corn bag is new and heavy with corn.

I used to use electronic bucket feeders but they just emptied too fast. The gravity flow feeder pipe above is cheap and quick to make.

Oh, I also paint the pipe and the pitcher that I put on top a camoflauged color...kind of beige/tan with some darker brown stripes through it to hide it from people. The deer find it with their nose, but people find it with their eyes. Being camo'd up keeps it buried into the woodsy background.

#3831838 - 11/12/14 05:19 PM Re: Home Made Deer feeders !! [Re: Roost 1]
TDW05
Spike

Loc: Tennessee, Dunlap

Me and my dad have 2 100 gallon barrels we made. All we did was cut a piece of wood doesn't have to be thick and made a slight angle so the corn/feed would flow to front where we have a 1"x 1" hole so they don't eat it all in a week but doesn't keep coons out lol.
Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
3 registered (TNCHRIS, vanleerbuckbuster, 1 invisible) and 72 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.008 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.