Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#3508387 - 12/19/13 09:55 PM Re: This Seasons Mistakes [Re: gatodoc]
rem270
18 Point

Loc: south fulton

Killing a mature buck just because it was a mature buck in a state with a 1 buck limit (KY). I will never do it again. Had him on camera and said i would shoot him if i seen him. He was a 5.5 yr old 10pt but wasn't my biggest. Oh well.

Its not what happens in life, but how you react to it that matters.

#3508716 - 12/20/13 07:43 AM Re: This Seasons Mistakes [Re: gatodoc]
tickweed
12 Point

Loc: medon,Tn.

I've stayed true to my plan. Both my girls have taken bucks on my farm, and I've hunted the same deer all season, trying every move I know to see him, but still not yet. Still getting a few pics, but all at nite. Its not over yet.

#3508729 - 12/20/13 07:50 AM Re: This Seasons Mistakes [Re: gatodoc]
Lawrence
8 Point

Loc: MT. Juliet Tennessee

over hunting a stand

BOOM

#3508785 - 12/20/13 08:18 AM Re: This Seasons Mistakes [Re: xatxay]
TNCharlie
8 Point

Loc: Columbia TN

I've actually had a very good season (and it's not over). A couple of errors do stand out.

Number one, I missed an easy shot at a doe in archery season. I just simply didn't take my time and make sure I was on target. This was after shooting at another doe and hitting the zipper of my blind window. Again, a case of not being patient enough and paying close enough attention.

But the kicker is this one. I learned that you absolutely cannot kill a deer by shooting at it with a muzzleloader that is not loaded with both powder and ball. The primer makes a nice pop and scares the crap out of the deer, but does not cause it to have a heart attack and drop dead.

#3508789 - 12/20/13 08:21 AM Re: This Seasons Mistakes [Re: TNCharlie]
Brogden
4 Point

Loc: Tennessee

I didn't do enough scouting before bow season and just hung a stand near my spot that I always went to. I saw deer but it was while walking, and I was never able to get a good location to move my stand.
#3509074 - 12/20/13 10:59 AM Re: This Seasons Mistakes [Re: Brogden]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

I had some muzzleloader fails. Hunted in the rain one day and, though, I wiped the gun down, I didn't check or clean the breech. The next morning, I got the primer "pop" with no discharge.

On another hunt, I failed to unscrew my firing pin safety all of the way. Pulled the trigger, but it wasn't unscrewed far enough to engage the primer.

Misidentified a juvenile buck for a mature buck on a (informally) managed property. Sun was in my eyes, the buck was standing in a dry puddle (the only low spot in the area). Not on was it standing in a dry puddle, but where its hindlegs were lower than the front of the puddle. Glare in my eyes, see what appeared to be a big bodied buck with a body low to the ground, definitely not jacked up hindquarters, rack well outside of the ears (was looking at me). I was entirely confident that was a mature buck when I shot it. Hey, you live and learn.

On the positive side, I changed my layering system up this year switching over to wool base layers and using a down insulation layer on extra cold days, of which we had many, and I was more comfortable in the field than I have ever been sitting for 5-8 hours in temps in the low 20s or colder.

I also did not hunt the same spot twice the entire season. I hunted deer in 5 counties on 8 different properties (private and public) and never hunted the same tree twice. Probably never hunted within 100 yards of a previous spot that I hunted, either, though, I did hunt the same terrain feature from different vantage points. Deer sightings were about 1 deer for every 48 minutes of hunting. This was a very liberating way to hunt. I also hunted several properties completely blind other than looking at Google Earth. Getting dropped off in the dark on 1600 acres and going to set up on some deer is not the easiest way to hunt in the Southeast, but its rewarding when you find yourself to have been very close to being in the right spot, just slightly out of position for how you expected the deer to move, is confidence building. Actually, a fun way to hunt. In the past, I tended to disregard altogether the practice of hunting without scouting.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3509100 - 12/20/13 11:21 AM Re: This Seasons Mistakes [Re: Poser]
WRbowhunter
8 Point

Loc: collierville,tn

Well my first mistake was hunting where the deer got a memo a week before advising them to get out of the county. Only explaination I have for not seeing deer. Just a very odd year for me. Think my mistake was being a little to set in my ways hunting areas based on past years and not adjusting to what was happening this year. Forgot to follow the Number one rule of deer hunting. Hunt where the deer are. Still have 3 more weekends plus a trip to Alabama the middle of January. Just one moment could change the memory of deer season 2013.

#3509162 - 12/20/13 11:51 AM Re: This Seasons Mistakes [Re: WRbowhunter]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: WRbowhunter
Just one moment could change the memory of deer season 2013.

\:\)

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3509266 - 12/20/13 01:41 PM Re: This Seasons Mistakes [Re: Poser]
Engine2c
4 Point

Loc: West TN

1. Over hunting a couple of spots
2. Over slept several mornings
3. Got down too early a few times
4. Not always hunting the wind. I had a few days where it was questionable and thought as careful as I am about scent control, I could chance it...wrong. I got busted by does a couple times by neglecting the wind.

#3509286 - 12/20/13 02:16 PM Re: This Seasons Mistakes [Re: Engine2c]
Snake
18 Point

Loc: McMinn Co.Tennessee U.S.

No mistakes here fired two times have two 3 1/2 year old eight pointers . Let a 2 1/2 year old eight point walk, several 1 1/2 year old bucks walk and lots of does . So I'm 2 for 2 !
Oh wait I did drive all the way to my lease in Rhea Co.on Grandview Mountain from the motel in Dayton without my rifle About a 45 minute round trip for nothing .
Oh yeah another mistake was that I only hunted one day while on vacation for a whole week .Well I don't think I'll ever hunt a season without making a mistake but we all like to think we are perfect

Edited by Snake (12/20/13 02:19 PM)

Page 2 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
7 registered (Haf2Hunt, SEC, lonewolf1330, gun nut, BuckMerker, H1234) and 61 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.007 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.